HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 5:34 PM

Noir Noir, that's an amazing photogragh! I don't remember seeing the interior of the Dome Cafe. It's awesome.

It appears C. Fred Harlow also owned a "roadhouse" in Culver City. It was seized by the federal authorities in 1921.

I didn't realize the federal government could seize property under the Volstead Act.

I'm posted this LARGE for easier reading.

Los Angeles Herald Feb. 15, 1921

Here are the three other interesting places in hot water: ......The Castle Inn (Ocean Park)........The Tumble Inn (on the highway) What highway?.....and Baron Long's Vernon Country Club.

Baron Long and the Vernon Country Club rings bell or two. - Unless I'm mistaken it had a training area for boxers & held boxing matches(?)

The Tumble Inn rings half a bell.

The Castle Inn rings no bell at all.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 5, 2020 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
I just found out that the Rose Bowl July 4th fireworks have been cancelled for this year. When I was a boy in the Linda Vista neighborhood in Pasadena, we neighborhood kids would troop up the Chamberlain Street firebreak for a half-mile or so. From up there you were looking right down into the Rose Bowl and we'd sit there with our cokes and snacks and watch the fireworks. I wonder if kids still do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
In recent years the streets in the San Rafaels above the Rose Bowl become swamped with cars despite the manned PPD barriers at the entry points.....quite a mess (my Dad's house is up there, and, yes, we would watch from the hills).....but I prefer that to the barrage of shells currently assaulting the greater Los Angeles area! Hundreds can be heard every minute.

No fireworks, but:

Moviegoers Rejoice as Rose Bowl Turns Into Drive-In Theater This Weekend
The Rose Bowl in Pasadena will not have a fireworks display this holiday weekend, but it is host to the latest drive-in movie theater in Southern California.

Story with video:
https://abc7.com/rose-bowl-drive-in-...adena/6294184/

It's $30 per car, no matter how many are in the car. I know someone who attended there last night, but haven't spoken with them about it yet.

As for all the cancelled fireworks shows:

With Most Firework Shows Canceled, SoCal Residents Set Off Their Own 4th of July Celebrations
Although fireworks are illegal in the city of Los Angeles and all firework displays are banned in L.A. County this year, that didn't stop residents on Saturday night, putting citizens in danger. The Los Angeles Fire Department said it responded to over 100 fires, including 29 structure fires, 12 brush and tree fires and 116 rubbish fires. It's unclear if fireworks were responsible for all them but the department tweeted "Fireworks are not toys."

Story with videos:
https://abc7.com/society/illegal-fir...a-sky/6298951/

I think it was just to celebrate NLA and E_R's birthday! Was this going on in other cities and towns?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
No fireworks, but:

As for all the cancelled fireworks shows:

With Most Firework Shows Canceled, SoCal Residents Set Off Their Own 4th of July Celebrations
Although fireworks are illegal in the city of Los Angeles and all firework displays are banned in L.A. County this year, that didn't stop residents on Saturday night, putting citizens in danger. The Los Angeles Fire Department said it responded to over 100 fires, including 29 structure fires, 12 brush and tree fires and 116 rubbish fires. It's unclear if fireworks were responsible for all them but the department tweeted "Fireworks are not toys."

Story with videos:
https://abc7.com/society/illegal-fir...a-sky/6298951/

I think it was just to celebrate NLA and E_R's birthday! Was this going on in other cities and towns?
Here in Las Vegas my neighborhood sounded like a war zone. Most illegal fireworks that I've ever heard in 21 years in this house. The explosions had started by 6 pm and didn't really let up until after 11, and didn't actually stop until after midnight. I was using Las Vegas's online illegal fireworks reporting site non-stop for 3+ hours. Not that any police ever showed up, of course.

My sister's neighborhood was the same.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 8:34 PM

e_r, Here's the back of the postcard . . .

odinthor collection

I believe that the newspaper article you noticed made what we call, in technical journalese parlance, a boo-boo in referring to 2nd St., as I can't find any other references to Harlow having a rink on 2nd St. The cafe itself was being overhauled:

LA Herald, 2/22/1916

And Harlow had looked for local talent for the show:

LA Herald, 2/18/1916

Ice Rinks seem to have been all the rage at the time. Within a few months, there were no fewer than three:

At Harlow's Cafe, as we saw; and then . . . at the Alexandria:

LA Times, 4/20/1916

And the Bristol Cafe:

LA Times, 2/27/1916

And then there's . . .

LA Times, 4/26/1916

Harlow was feeling generous. He had just given a free Christmas dinner to 150 local children:

LA Times, 12/26/1915; Harlow smiling at right, wife Lulu Bell benignly presiding over the youngsters, and I suspect son Roy is the grinning young gentleman immediately next to Harlow. The young gent farther back, behind both Mrs. Harlow and Roy, seems to be having a moment of dubiety about the whole enterprise. (The partial pic at bottom concerns an unrelated event.)

The needy were selected, with the help of Harlow's son Roy:

LA Times, 12/26/1915

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Here in Las Vegas my neighborhood sounded like a war zone. Most illegal fireworks that I've ever heard in 21 years in this house. The explosions had started by 6 pm and didn't really let up until after 11, and didn't actually stop until after midnight. I was using Las Vegas's online illegal fireworks reporting site non-stop for 3+ hours. Not that any police ever showed up, of course.

My sister's neighborhood was the same.
They didn't stop here in Glendale until about 4am. The air was so smokey that it reminded me of LA in the 50's and 60's except the smoke was blue. My eyes were stinging all day today. I guess folk really got into celebrating E_R's b-day. I guess that's appropriate since it's one of the big ones, IIRC(I'm a few months older than E_R I believe).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
Nope! That's not Irving Thalberg or Norma Shearer or LB Mayer. (I've just released a novel about Thalberg called "The Heart of the Lion" which I researched for 2.5 years, so I know Thalberg's face when I see (and don't see) it.)

This is them:

I didn't say Shearer or L.B. were in the photo, I just said the guy on the right appears to be Thalberg. Take a close look...Thalberg...quite sure. Is the older dude near the cake Laemlee?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:36 AM

Delete

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:41 AM

Delete

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I didn't say Shearer or L.B. were in the photo, I just said the guy on the right appears to be Thalberg. Take a close look...Thalberg...quite sure. Is the older dude near the cake Laemlee?

The forensics are in and they're saying the fellow on the right in the birthday cake picture is Carl Laemmle Jr.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 2:40 PM

Here is a beauty contestant winner wearing, what I believe to be, a 'Swim Easy' bathing suit.

old file / worthpoint

Her name is Marie McDonald and she placed third.

The mystery here is the VP on her elaborately stitched swimsuit.

REVERSE

KEYSTONE PHOTO SERVICE

1231 South Olive Street

LOS ANGELES

I haven't any information on this photo but it's fun to look at nevertheless.

pinterest

If you look closely "Swim Easy" is stitched along the hem of the swimsuits.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:59 PM

Before we get too far removed from the Noll & Company dice and gambling equipment manufacturer. (they of the tragic nitro-cellulose dice which killed three employees. Link)

Noll & Company

Here is another Los Angeles based dice/gambling manufacturer.

trking.com

T.R.King and Co.

123 E. 6th Street

Los Angeles, California. . . . . . . . .

The TR stands for Teddy Roosevelt and the King part is for the crown style molds they used for their chips.

This chip is soooooo cool!

Some history:

The company was started in Kansas City in the 1920s by Milton C. Anderson.
in 1931, the company moved to Los Angeles, California. They first set up shop on South Olive street. (I don't know when it moved to Sixth St.)

The company changed hands in 1956.

"In 1956 Anderson wanted to sell his company. He approached his salesman, Paul Endy, Sr., who along with a partner, George Davies, agreed to buy TR King."

I found this very interesting.

trking.com

The company was eventually banned from selling chips in Nevada because of their illegal chips.

You can read more about Here but the site is old and many of the 'pages' no longer work) - like the 'gallery'

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 6, 2020 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Before we get too far removed from the Noll & Company dice and gambling equipment manufacturer. (they of the tragic nitro-cellulose dice which killed three employees. Link)

Noll & Company

trking.com

T.R.King and Co.

123 E. 6th Street

The TR stands for Teddy Roosevelt and the King part is for the crown style molds they used for their chips.

[...]

123 E. 6th is directly across the street from Cole's Pacific Electric Grill.

gsv

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

trking.com

T.R.King and Co.

123 E. 6th Street

Some history:

The company was started in Kansas City in the 1920s by Milton C. Anderson.
in 1931, the company moved to Los Angeles, California. They first set up shop on South Olive street. (I don't know when it moved to Sixth St.)

The company changed hands in 1956.

"In 1956 Anderson wanted to sell his company. He approached his salesman, Paul Endy, Sr., who along with a partner, George Davies, agreed to buy TR King."
Here are the addresses I found for T R King Co in the CDs:

218 S Broadway

213 S Broadway

213 S Broadway & 636½ S Main Street

213 S Broadway & 644 S Main Street

1936 & 1939
644 S Main Street
(The 1937 & 1938 CDs list the company as Milton C Anderson at 644 S Main)

1940-1942
123 E Sixth Street

1956-1969
1035 S Olive Street

1245 S Hope Street

400 W Pico Boulevard

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
They didn't stop here in Glendale until about 4am. The air was so smokey that it reminded me of LA in the 50's and 60's except the smoke was blue. My eyes were stinging all day today.
I was downtown when the recent brush fires happened - stinging eyes and impossible to breathe. Probably someone setting off illegal fireworks.

Here's the view after I left downtown, looking back:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Original at USC Digital Library

(Truth be told, I borrowed the cake from Carl Laemmle!)

How much do you think that cake weighed? (Answer at bottom)

The only description with this photo (other than the 1/19/34 date) is "Carl Laemmle, Sr., presenting piece of birthday cake to
Carl Laemmle, Jr.". However, I believe the guy in the cowboy hat is western star Ken Maynard.

In 1934, Maynard and his then-wife Mary were living at 315 S. Las Palmas Avenue.

Here's a photo of Maynard from 1962 (the caption is cut off on the original):

Historic Images Outlet

Maynard tripped on a step in 1971 ("I was sober, too.") and injured a leg. He died in 1973.

Back to the cake . . . whoever guessed 67 pounds . . . you win!

January 18, 1934, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LA Public Library

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 7, 2020 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 7:32 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
The forensics are in and they're saying the fellow on the right in the birthday cake picture is Carl Laemmle Jr.

Very impressive sleuthing.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 7:38 AM

Here's a photo of Maynard from 1962 (the caption is cut off on the original):

Historic Images Outlet

Looks like Jay Leno in about 10 years if he had a bigger lantern jaw.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 7:12 PM

1356 S. Flower

I made an inquiry with (ghost) Councilman Huizar's office to see if the brick building would be included in the new project. Here is the reply from city planning:

"...The project located at 1334-1356 South Flower Street was approved under City Planning Case No. DIR-2017-4-TDR-SPR in December 2018. The approved plans associated with the case contain the brick facade. As far as we are aware, there has been no change requests or a new filing for this property. The proposal depicted and described on the UrbanizedLA website is a different use and design so that would necessitate a new filing as the change would not be in substantial conformance."

If any of you see construction there, let me know and I will follow up with the council office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
This project which was all set to go in 2019 would have incorporated your building into the design.

urbanize.la

But in fairly quick time that all seems to have been superseded by this, set for 2021.

urbanize.la

I don't spot it as a feature this time round.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 7:20 PM

That's absolutely splendid news, Snix! I appreciate your efforts!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 7:52 PM

A mystery location.

I keep coming across this slide on eBay & each time I pause & wonder where this bus terminal was located.

eBay

"Los Angeles Bus Terminal Gray Line 1989 Original 35mm Slide".................................................

I've also been tring to figuring out the different stops on the tour.

detail

I think I've figured out the Hollywood Tour:

HOLLYWOOD

PLAZA

KNICKERBOCKER

ROOSEVELT (HOTEL)

The Santa Monica Tour is much more difficult to figure out:

SANTA MONICA

umm. . .BAR (?)

err. . . ?

hmmm. . . . ?

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the touristy dude in the striped shorts. (very 1980s)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 8, 2020 at 3:10 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos