HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 9:39 PM

306 W Erie

July 13

Chicago | 306 W Erie by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 9:56 PM

RUSH - 121 S Ashland

Jul 14

Chicago | Rush Hosp by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 10:50 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
A lot of hospitals are struggling financially; last I heard, the plan was to just finish the exterior envelope and leave the raw space as is, no interior build out for a while. I'll take it for now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 11:59 PM

Tribune Tower Rehab

July 14

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 12:37 AM

318 N Carpenter

July 16

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
A lot of hospitals are struggling financially; last I heard, the plan was to just finish the exterior envelope and leave the raw space as is, no interior build out for a while. I'll take it for now.

That explains it. Driving past it last week I was taken aback as to why steel appeared complete, but no MEP activity was visible on the first floor. You could see straight through the entire building at street level. If I were the owner, I'd at least petition the city to chip in $50 million to turn the future hospital into a temp hospital for the "2nd wave". Would be better spent at Rush than McCormick, which has since been dismantled!

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Jul 20, 2020 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 1:45 PM
The City

It wouldn't make sense (IMO) from a business standpoint to not finish the interior buildout. I mean, despite the pandemic patients still need medical care and are already showing up to offices in large numbers. There was pent up demand for things that were delayed during the most stringent days of March-May (physicals, elective procedures, imaging tests, etc) and a lot of doctors' schedules quickly filled up.

Couple that with telemedicine that temporarily gets reimbursed by a value equivalent to an in-office visit. Given that Rush has already invested in this project, and it's only going to be a money sink for them to keep it vacant, not to mention generating zero revenue, I just don't understand why they wouldn't complete the interior build out.

Heck, if the interior build out takes us until some time in 2021 then that's even more reason to proceed as planned, as most people expect that the pandemic will be (mostly) in our rear view mirror by then.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 2:15 PM

[QUOTE=sentinel;8984644]It's been a shitty week, but I was able to end it in a great way by walking past this gem:

[QUOTE]

The South facade, from last week. Beautiful renovation.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:07 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It wouldn't make sense (IMO) from a business standpoint to not finish the interior buildout. I mean, despite the pandemic patients still need medical care and are already showing up to offices in large numbers. There was pent up demand for things that were delayed during the most stringent days of March-May (physicals, elective procedures, imaging tests, etc) and a lot of doctors' schedules quickly filled up.

Couple that with telemedicine that temporarily gets reimbursed by a value equivalent to an in-office visit. Given that Rush has already invested in this project, and it's only going to be a money sink for them to keep it vacant, not to mention generating zero revenue, I just don't understand why they wouldn't complete the interior build out.

Heck, if the interior build out takes us until some time in 2021 then that's even more reason to proceed as planned, as most people expect that the pandemic will be (mostly) in our rear view mirror by then.
They have no money to start the interior buildout until early 2021. They are laying off 200 upper management folks to stay semi-solvent.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:04 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Heck, if the interior build out takes us until some time in 2021...
Medical/hospital built-outs tend to take a very long time, even under the best circumstances.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Medical/hospital built-outs tend to take a very long time, even under the best circumstances.

Even if they could build it out by 2021 there'd be no one to staff it since the pandemic has basically drained the pipeline of readily available medical staff and bottlenecked the students beneath them since there is very little availability for clinical experience (a pre-requisite for nursing students).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 9:43 AM

Some new developments via new zoning docs:

1) A new 8 story, 100 foot tall, 96 unit building on the vacant land that is the SE corner of Damen & Lake. It is a modification to the existing PD and the developer is joint between Brinshore and The Michaels Development Company of Camden, NJ.

This is right at the near future site of the new Green Line stop at the same intersection.

https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Current:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...!4d-87.6758918

2) A new 6 story, 73 foot tall, 50 unit building with 13 parking spaces at 3557 W Lawrence (Lawrence & North Central Park Ave). Also to include ground floor commercial "including a daycare." Land is currently vacant and qualifies as TOD as it is only a few blocks from the Kimball Brown Line stop.

https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Current:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/35...95325584820689

Last edited by marothisu; Jul 21, 2020 at 10:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:14 PM

^ an interesting, but not surprising, thing I've been seeing in the zoning apps this month is fillings to convert ground floor retail in recent/new developments into housing units. It makes sense to do so given the current economy, but I wonder how likely in the future it will be to reconvert the ground floor back into retail

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:44 PM

Snapped a pic of the crane coming down at Steppenwolf yesterday evening

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
^ an interesting, but not surprising, thing I've been seeing in the zoning apps this month is fillings to convert ground floor retail in recent/new developments into housing units. It makes sense to do so given the current economy, but I wonder how likely in the future it will be to reconvert the ground floor back into retail
Yeah there's one in Streeterville and one in Uptown. Was wondering how the one in Streeterville will work especially...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:16 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) A new 8 story, 100 foot tall, 96 unit building on the vacant land that is the SE corner of Damen & Lake. It is a modification to the existing PD and the developer is joint between Brinshore and The Michaels Development Company of Camden, NJ.

This is right at the near future site of the new Green Line stop at the same intersection.
Yeah this is one of the projects that won LIHTC funding a few months ago. Nice height for that location. The city is really prioritizing TODs for this funding now.

I'm excited for Related to finally fill in the SW corner of Racine/Taylor, which is also a project that won LIHTC funding... can only hope we get something this tall, but I expect it will be 3-4 stories instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Very unlikely, we've built far too much retail space in places where it's not needed, especially in the neighborhood zoning districts. I'm honestly fine if these spaces stay residential permanently. For parts of downtown, it is actually conceivable that density could ramp up substantially and create demand for this retail space in the future... but the neighborhoods aren't getting more dense, if anything they're getting less dense with smaller household sizes and deconversions.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 4:30 PM

Lakeview ACE

Excited to see this TOD get its permit yesterday.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/12/1...sheridan-dakin

Adding more density around the Sheridan Red Line station.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
Excited to see this TOD get its permit yesterday.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/12/1...sheridan-dakin

Adding more density around the Sheridan Red Line station.
A few years ago.
3921 Sheridan - 1991 by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:18 PM
TL;DR

Too bad we don't do that sidewalk Christmas tree sale anymore... one more thing killed by Home Depot. It's still alive and well in NYC though.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 5:32 PM

I just received confirmation that Loyola will indeed be housing students at The Drake Hotel. (Pending legal discussions/paperwork between the parties). One person to a room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development