HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 11:37 PM
Urbane observer

I happened to be asked to meet with IKEA when they were first planning to come to Chicago. In addition to the monster suburban store that's their worldwide model, I encouraged them to do a Mag Mile flagship (apparently they have one in Stockholm) that was focused on housewares and not so much RTA furniture. Much like Crate & Barrel turned out to be.

Then in the early 2000s, IKEA was all set to anchor a center on the land we now (some of us grudgingly) call The 78. That was pretty far along when IKEA decided not to do a city store after all, leaving Rezmar scrambling to find the retail they needed to make their Riverside Park project work. They never did.

I'm not sure where Ingka would see opportunity among Chicagoland malls, exactly. North Riverside Plaza, maybe, or Lincolnwood Town Center. Charlestowne seems too close to Schaumburg.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:14 AM
TL;DR

I will admit, I was as surprised as anyone about the success of Fashion Outlets at Rosemont... that is certainly in line with the Euro malls that Ingka operates, and it achieved success in an era of failing malls.

So maybe there is demand if you have the right location... which is certainly the case in the residential and office sectors. I just don't know what the "right location" really is. Charlestowne is actually not a bad spot from an income/buying power standpoint, but it's hard to make a regional draw if you're not next to an expressway. I wonder if they'd consider somewhere like Prairie Stone or Huntley? That's no good for us city dwellers, but McHenry County is probably the best mix of underserved/decent incomes in Chicagoland, there's tons of big-box but not really a true regional shopping center. Lots of people from there still drive to Woodfield, which is a schlep...

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 11, 2020 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 6:30 PM

Peoria green

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 1:50 AM

Tribune Rehab - 435 N Michigan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Peoria green
But ... but ... the views of those that blocked the views !

fantastic shot

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:37 PM

Chicago | Rush Addition - 121 S Ashland

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 9:46 PM

Anyone know what's going on with the parking garage demolition at 3440 N Broadway? It's adjacent to the old Treasure Island/New Optima development, but not part of the plan. Demolition started recently and there's nothing on Tunney's website indicating plans for the parcel.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Anyone know what's going on with the parking garage demolition at 3440 N Broadway? It's adjacent to the old Treasure Island/New Optima development, but not part of the plan. Demolition started recently and there's nothing on Tunney's website indicating plans for the parcel.
It was purchased in late 2018 by the same entity who owns the Best Western Hawthorne next door to it. They also run the Acme Hotel downtown and formerly the Dana Hotel, not to mention some other projects. There is an expansion of that hotel next door in the works:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...lfa-story.html
From November 2019
Quote:
Meanwhile, the owner of the Best Western Hawthorne Terrace Hotel just south of the former grocery story confirmed it is drawing up plans to expand into an area where Treasure Island’s former parking garage stands.

Rebel Hospitality principal Gene Kornota last year told the Tribune there were no immediate plans to redevelop the parking structure, which the hotel uses for guests. That changed after Optima unveiled its plans, Kornota said Thursday.

“Optima’s proposed project spurred us to consider the development of the parking garage into a hospitality venue, earlier than initially anticipated,” he said in an email.

The hotel expansion may be constructed at the same time as Optima’s building, if possible, Kornota said.
He declined to provide details of the expansion, saying it’s early in the planning process. Tunney, however, said the hotel’s owners are interested in increased zoning that would allow for somewhere in the range of 100 new rooms.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:17 PM
The City

I can’t imagine any hotel moving forward with an expansion right now, unless it has already been financed and U/C

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:18 PM
TL;DR

^ Optima may want that area for site staging if it makes their construction faster or more efficient. If they knew the hotel was gonna teardown eventually maybe they were able to reach a deal.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:20 PM

I heard Loyola is going to be taking over the Drake hotel to use as student housing.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeprise View Post
I heard Loyola is going to be taking over the Drake hotel to use as student housing.
Wow, I hope that is not true

That would be quite a demotion for such a historic property

We’ve been to a wedding there, my wife has taken out of town guests there for high tea.....what a loss for Chicago it would be to lose that

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

We’ve been to a wedding there, my wife has taken out of town guests there for high tea.....what a loss for Chicago it would be to lose that
Agreed. My brother who works for The Drake told me.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:19 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I suspect it might just be temporary to declutter the dorms during COVID (when hotels are not having many guests anyway)? UChicago has been talking about taking over Hyde Park hotels for undergrads.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I suspect it might just be temporary to declutter the dorms during COVID (when hotels are not having many guests anyway)? UChicago has been talking about taking over Hyde Park hotels for undergrads.
Yes, it's my understanding that this would be a temporary deal between Loyola University and The Drake/Hilton. The Drake has only been occupying two floors with guests out of about 10 floors for the last 3 months. They laid off all of their housekeeping staff. When the shutdown first happened, there were only 2 or 3 rooms being occupied, not counting people who live there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:32 PM

Heads up - Calatrava's sculpture at River Point is being assembled right now for anyone that might want to check it out.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/20...er-point-delay

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:51 PM

^I like that it leaves room for viewer interpretation.

-Is it a red bird?
-Is it a red feather?
-Is it red fire?
-Is it a reminder of The Chicago Spire (another Calatrava work of art/also spiral shaped) that failed because it "went into the red?"

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 9:50 PM
TL;DR

LOL apparently Calatrava has wanted to leave his mark on Chicago for awhile, even before the Spire he worked on bridge proposals for Lake Shore Drive at Queen's Landing and down in Bronzeville in the late 90s.

I don't think a little sculpture is what he had in mind! But I guess it's something. I can't see any serious developer in Chicago, or a city/state agency, ever hiring him in the future given his long, long history of cost overruns.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 10:08 PM

I wonder if that tube sculpture that was in the Spire park space renderings was done by him as well. Don't have a picture just going off memory if anyone else does.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Steppenwolf

The faceted bushed/raked/combed concrete panels going in looks quite nice

Anybody have a recent picture of Steppenwolf? Curious how much further along they are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development