HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:20 AM

Good find. Actually my original thought was the center section was used for two streetcar tracks with roads on either side.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:23 PM

So now we know how the long awaited Downtown circulator can get from Navy Pier to norther Grant Park and Columbus Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's in there. There is a lot of reference to providing adequate clearance at ground level for tracks to pass beneath the mezzanine on what is today the Spire site, but the Commercial Club's Harbor Plan also proposed a rail connection across the river from the Illinois Central to Navy Pier. You can see it dotted in some of the drawings as "Future Harbor Railroad Connection" (PDF page 81).

Looks like it would have run in the east section of the lower deck, with the west and central sections for "commercial traffic" - trucks, etc. It makes sense, why else divide the lower deck into 3 parts rather than two, like the Michigan Ave bridge? The drawings appear to show a single track connection, but it looks like there was room for two tracks should the need arise. I can't say whether the bridge as built could support railroad traffic, certainly the design evolved and they may have reduced the design loads. Ed Bennett's Neoclassical design became Art Deco, etc.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:24 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Ed Bennett's Neoclassical design became Art Deco, etc.
In fact, the first design Hugh Young released (in 1930, as Bennett was being eased out) was less restrained than the final design. Sorry, I've never found a better version of this rendering.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
So now we know how the long awaited Downtown circulator can get from Navy Pier to norther Grant Park and Columbus Drive.
Honestly they should just build a LRT utilizing the Carroll row, this part of the bridge and linking down onto lower Randolph, through the McCormick busway, to Roosevelt, across to canal and then back up past union station. Would basically circumnavigate the edges of downtown and be extremely useful during the huge events that happen in Grant Park.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:35 PM

IKEA is looking to take over US malls in high-population urban areas. They're also looking to take advantage of the weakness in the market caused by Covid. Apparently Chicago is high on their list of cities they're looking at.
Quote:
Described as a “major play” in the U.S. market, Reuters reports Ingka Centres is eyeing locations in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago.

“We will be targeting cities with high populations in these regions. We primarily focus on the acquisition of existing real estate assets and redevelop them into meeting places anchored by an IKEA store and tuned towards the local needs and aspirations in the offer"
Any rumors/speculation of what malls IKEA is looking at in Chicago?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanz.../#273d8d3b5d5c

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
IKEA is looking to take over US malls in high-population urban areas. They're also looking to take advantage of the weakness in the market caused by Covid. Apparently Chicago is high on their list of cities they're looking at.

Any rumors/speculation of what malls IKEA is looking at in Chicago?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanz.../#273d8d3b5d5c
I've always wanted an Ikea in the city. The two in the suburbs are so hard to get to without a car. They could've built one by the west loop area I think.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:29 PM

My sister lives near one of their malls in Italy. I never realized it was an "Ikea mall" when I've gone (although I just looked it up out of curiosity and it is indeed run by Ingka Centres), it seems like just a normal mall but with an Ikea as one of the flagship stores. I'm curious what "play" they want to make that would differentiate them from any other American mall...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:40 PM

Elston Microcenter spot......?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I'm curious what "play" they want to make that would differentiate them from any other American mall...
The fact that Ikea is such a destination itself, would be a big driver of traffic. The average person spends 90 minutes at Ikea. You can kill a couple hours at Ikea and then do some shopping for other things while you're there anyway and make a day of it. Ikea's already have a children's center and food options to keep you there as long as possible.

I'm sure they'll still want a bunch of parking, but there's plenty of items that can be hauled away on the CTA. Especially their flat-box items.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 7:01 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
My sister lives near one of their malls in Italy. I never realized it was an "Ikea mall" when I've gone (although I just looked it up out of curiosity and it is indeed run by Ingka Centres), it seems like just a normal mall but with an Ikea as one of the flagship stores. I'm curious what "play" they want to make that would differentiate them from any other American mall...
Yeah it's hard to look at the US retail market and think, "this place really needs more malls"... virtually every American market is oversaturated, and brick/mortar retail is stagnant with the growth of online shopping which Covid is only accelerations. So, not sure what these guys are smoking.

Looking at their Europe properties, they're all very suburban, right off a motorway. So I don't expect Ingka to do urban shopping malls in the US.

I think they could probably find some dying suburban malls to reinvigorate, though. Stratford Square comes to mind. But generally Americans aren't in love with the enclosed mall anymore. Most Americans live in a suburban environment and when they go to shop or dine they're looking for a more traditional urban experience, either in a real city/town or a lifestyle center. Compare that to Europe where most people live in denser neighborhoods and drive out to the malls on the edge during the weekend (this happens a little here too, at Old Orchard, Woodfield, Oakbrook).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 7:30 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Looking at their Europe properties, they're all very suburban, right off a motorway. So I don't expect Ingka to do urban shopping malls in the US.
Love to see one in the IMD or Armour Square.. or perhaps off Roosevelt in the South Loop.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 11:37 PM
Urbane observer

I happened to be asked to meet with IKEA when they were first planning to come to Chicago. In addition to the monster suburban store that's their worldwide model, I encouraged them to do a Mag Mile flagship (apparently they have one in Stockholm) that was focused on housewares and not so much RTA furniture. Much like Crate & Barrel turned out to be.

Then in the early 2000s, IKEA was all set to anchor a center on the land we now (some of us grudgingly) call The 78. That was pretty far along when IKEA decided not to do a city store after all, leaving Rezmar scrambling to find the retail they needed to make their Riverside Park project work. They never did.

I'm not sure where Ingka would see opportunity among Chicagoland malls, exactly. North Riverside Plaza, maybe, or Lincolnwood Town Center. Charlestowne seems too close to Schaumburg.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:14 AM
TL;DR

I will admit, I was as surprised as anyone about the success of Fashion Outlets at Rosemont... that is certainly in line with the Euro malls that Ingka operates, and it achieved success in an era of failing malls.

So maybe there is demand if you have the right location... which is certainly the case in the residential and office sectors. I just don't know what the "right location" really is. Charlestowne is actually not a bad spot from an income/buying power standpoint, but it's hard to make a regional draw if you're not next to an expressway. I wonder if they'd consider somewhere like Prairie Stone or Huntley? That's no good for us city dwellers, but McHenry County is probably the best mix of underserved/decent incomes in Chicagoland, there's tons of big-box but not really a true regional shopping center. Lots of people from there still drive to Woodfield, which is a schlep...

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 11, 2020 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 6:30 PM

Peoria green

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 1:50 AM

Tribune Rehab - 435 N Michigan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Peoria green
But ... but ... the views of those that blocked the views !

fantastic shot

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:37 PM

Chicago | Rush Addition - 121 S Ashland

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 9:46 PM

Anyone know what's going on with the parking garage demolition at 3440 N Broadway? It's adjacent to the old Treasure Island/New Optima development, but not part of the plan. Demolition started recently and there's nothing on Tunney's website indicating plans for the parcel.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Anyone know what's going on with the parking garage demolition at 3440 N Broadway? It's adjacent to the old Treasure Island/New Optima development, but not part of the plan. Demolition started recently and there's nothing on Tunney's website indicating plans for the parcel.
It was purchased in late 2018 by the same entity who owns the Best Western Hawthorne next door to it. They also run the Acme Hotel downtown and formerly the Dana Hotel, not to mention some other projects. There is an expansion of that hotel next door in the works:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...lfa-story.html
From November 2019
Quote:
Meanwhile, the owner of the Best Western Hawthorne Terrace Hotel just south of the former grocery story confirmed it is drawing up plans to expand into an area where Treasure Island’s former parking garage stands.

Rebel Hospitality principal Gene Kornota last year told the Tribune there were no immediate plans to redevelop the parking structure, which the hotel uses for guests. That changed after Optima unveiled its plans, Kornota said Thursday.

“Optima’s proposed project spurred us to consider the development of the parking garage into a hospitality venue, earlier than initially anticipated,” he said in an email.

The hotel expansion may be constructed at the same time as Optima’s building, if possible, Kornota said.
He declined to provide details of the expansion, saying it’s early in the planning process. Tunney, however, said the hotel’s owners are interested in increased zoning that would allow for somewhere in the range of 100 new rooms.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:17 PM
The City

I can’t imagine any hotel moving forward with an expansion right now, unless it has already been financed and U/C

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development