HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:08 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookUpSLC View Post
It's fun to see the city change with warm bubbles surrounding you.
It is my life goal to do this.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookUpSLC View Post
I'm a member of City Creek Gym, so occasionally I'll sit in the jacuzzi overlooking the construction site. This past week they were removing debris and took down some basement structures in 111, so progress was made...just not as much as the weeks prior.

It's fun to see the city change with warm bubbles surrounding you.
Dude. Buddy pass? We should have the next forum meet up there!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Dude. Buddy pass? We should have the next forum meet up there!
Ten bucks each and you're all in! Get bored with the forum and you can swim some laps.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Is it me, or hasn't there been any work done on the PAC/111 site this past week. Drove past it yesterday and didn't notice any chances if any.
Last week, they completed tearing down the building directly south of the D-News building. Exposing a big patch of green paint from where the two buiildings were next to each other. And cleaned out a lot of collateral damage of the entire demo site.

I'm still wondering that they are going to do with the remaining white building with pillars on top. Implosion or wrecking ball.. Too tall for the excavators..

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 7:47 PM
The Drifter

The remaining building just needs to go BOOM!! I will be there with my kids if that happens.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:48 PM

Green Wall

The "green wall" that is now exposed where the back of the Deseret News Building is meet the other bulding is actually a fire wall system between the two structures.

When I was working at City Creek Center, many of the exterior walls that abutted older buildings used this system. Specifically where the mall meets the McCormick Building, the Gateway tower, and the Zions bank tower, among many other areas.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:30 PM

Anyone heard when we are going to see some boom?

I walked by there yesterday. The process seems to be grinding to a hault.. The remaing basement shell of the previous buldings on the east side are alive and well and it looks like they are just a giant debris pit. One small crane is doing something to the remaining building but I don't know what.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
Anyone heard when we are going to see some boom?

I walked by there yesterday. The process seems to be grinding to a hault.. The remaing basement shell of the previous buldings on the east side are alive and well and it looks like they are just a giant debris pit. One small crane is doing something to the remaining building but I don't know what.
In the RDA agenda from last night there was a report on the UPAC, they said there was more asbestos in the remaining building that they hadn't found during the original assessment. The abatement will take until mid-April, then the building will come down soon after that.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:45 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Another RDA PAC related item.

Salt Lake City leaders to vote to approve funds for unknown RDA purchase

The Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency is ready to show ’em the money — $537,072.22, to be exact.

What the money will buy, however, remains to be seen.

On the RDA’s agenda for Tuesday is an action item for the allocation of funds that could purchase property on Block 70. That’s where the Utah Performing Arts Center will go up between 100 South and 200 South from Main Street east to Regent Street.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...oject.html.csp

I'm glad that the RDA/City Council is being proactive in possibly approving funds for unforeseen future purchase needs related to PAC and the Regent St Plaza. I assume it will end up going to purchase the former Braza Grill Building in order to make the Main to Regent connection, but I'm guessing since no contract is in place they can't specifically earmark it to that exact purchase.

I know there are a couple of members of council that wouldn't have supported the PAC funding had they been in office at the time of the vote, but hopefully they will realize that the PAC is a reality and they city needs to approve this in order to make it as successful as possible.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 5:41 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Another RDA PAC related item.

Salt Lake City leaders to vote to approve funds for unknown RDA purchase

The Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency is ready to show ’em the money — $537,072.22, to be exact.

What the money will buy, however, remains to be seen.

On the RDA’s agenda for Tuesday is an action item for the allocation of funds that could purchase property on Block 70. That’s where the Utah Performing Arts Center will go up between 100 South and 200 South from Main Street east to Regent Street.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...oject.html.csp

I'm glad that the RDA/City Council is being proactive in possibly approving funds for unforeseen future purchase needs related to PAC and the Regent St Plaza. I assume it will end up going to purchase the former Braza Grill Building in order to make the Main to Regent connection, but I'm guessing since no contract is in place they can't specifically earmark it to that exact purchase.

I know there are a couple of members of council that wouldn't have supported the PAC funding had they been in office at the time of the vote, but hopefully they will realize that the PAC is a reality and they city needs to approve this in order to make it as successful as possible.
Hopefully it's eat-a-burger.. That building is an unsafe eyesore needs to go. I bet it is eat a burger.. I don't think there's anything else on the block that would go for that low.

I kind of wonder if they had to do asbestos removal or something in the metro building.. They had the front and back windows plastic off for a couple weeks.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 5:48 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I bet they buy eat a burger, demolish it, use it as a place to keep the construction trailers and such for the UPAC.. Then develop it afterwards

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 5:55 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I thought about the Eat-a-burger site as well, but the cost seems kind of low when it comes to land bankers wanting much more.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 5:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

My thought was incorrect regarding the Braza building. The RDA already owns that. One paragraph from the article states "Sources close to the project say there may be some sticking points regarding properties the RDA needs to maximize the walkway and plaza." So I wonder if they want a second building adjacent to Braza, to make it a wider walkway. I don't think they need too, and I would really hate to lose that remodeled residence, and retail space. Plus the county's assessed value of the building south of Braza is at $1.3 million. The Eat-A-Burger parcel is valued by the County at $290k so the amount they are wanting to approve would cover that, even for a greedy land banker. Considering the RDA owns the two parcels to the North, Eat-A-Burger might be a good use of that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I kind of wonder if they had to do asbestos removal or something in the metro building.. They had the front and back windows plastic off for a couple weeks.
Already answered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
In the RDA agenda from last night there was a report on the UPAC, they said there was more asbestos in the remaining building that they hadn't found during the original assessment. The abatement will take until mid-April, then the building will come down soon after that.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Apr 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:38 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I thought about the Eat-a-burger site as well, but the cost seems kind of low when it comes to land bankers wanting much more.
It depends in the situation. It's not a huge piece of land. They could be waiting a long time. Also the building is sinking and beginning to crack apart.. It is unfit for occupation and will have to be demolished at some point.. That will be an expense. And if they have to have a permit to develop the property just to rip it down.. That would add a lot of expense.. And who knows if they already owe back taxes and/or fines.. It could just be a way out.. If it isn't a company with the capital to bank the land for a long period of time.. And probably have to do something with it it I'll it sales.

I can't imagine anything on main going for that cheep.

Maybe the walkers center owns the land directly to the north of their parking structure that was used to build a new pass through street from regent to the smaller alley... That could be it to.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 9:23 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post

Maybe the walkers center owns the land directly to the north of their parking structure that was used to build a new pass through street from regent to the smaller alley... That could be it to.
All parcels north of the Walker Garage up to the former Des News building and all parcels on Main St from the corner of 100 S south to the Braza express building, except Neumont, is owned by the RDA.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:17 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
All parcels north of the Walker Garage up to the former Des News building and all parcels on Main St from the corner of 100 S south to the Braza express building, except Neumont, is owned by the RDA.

Yes.. But I think the street might have been built under the parking structure... I will have to look again.. It's hard to describe... But on the north most part of the parking structure it is kind of up on stilts... So to say with usable out door space underneether... That's kind of what I'm talking about... I'd have to look again though I could be wrong on where the road was built....

But if that's not it.. I'm betting on and hoping on eat a burger... No the land is not directly related... They might need it for construction purposes... Then resell it or develop it later.... Plus... getting rid of that would just make the general area better

I just can't picturing those buildings on main street going for under 600 grand... That is all prime real estate just for the fact that they're building UPAC.... The leases were already hyped up to the point where Bayleaf had to move... It's not impossible I just don't see anyone letting their property go for that low... I wouldn't sell anything on that part of main street for that low.

I guess there's the building to the east of the old Des news building.... I don't even think that would go for that lo though.

Eat a burger is one of the, if not the smallest plots of land on the block.... It's also devalued considering the expense that it will take to demolish the buildings... from what I understand can't even be done without a building permit... I imagine that the city might temporarily wave that it it's to be used for construction purposes...

You could be right though.. we will see... just made sense to me.... I hope that's what it is at least.... I would rather see that go then anything else on main street

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:44 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

The hope Gallery if for sale for just under 4 mil... I doubt that it

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...x?LID=18606134

FYI: I did some research... Eat-a-Burger was listed at 595,000.00 before I was taken off the market several years ago... I bet that's it.... They probably couldn't sell it because the building was unusable.... Probably just delisted it because they knew that would be future development and hope that somebody would make them an offer... And I'm guessing someone did

This is just a lot of guessing a lot of hoping

That sounds right

Last edited by ajiuO; Apr 9, 2014 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:56 AM

Well, I think we're all hoping you're right AjiuO.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 2:37 PM

The RDA has offered the woman who owns the former Eat-a-Burger site far more than the price mentioned earlier. Every time the city puts in an offer she asks for more and more. I wouldn't be too shocked if the RDA was looking at that site but in doing a little bit of research, I don't think that the RDA owns the former Braza Express site at 147 S. Main St. and I do know that they were very interested in the city earlier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West