HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:20 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:40 AM
Unstopable Flying Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
it isn't nice try... its my observation as someone that doesn't live in either city...portland/slc...
Downtown Portland beats SLC hands down.. that is why there is so much tension between boise forumers and slc forumers.. because slc gets compared to boise.....when its compared to cities its size.. its dead.. and the sad thing is.... I'd prefer to dine out, go to clubs, and enjoy myself in downtown boise.. than I would downtown slc... there is more options in boise.. IMHO

Oh boy here it comes again.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:43 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:00 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:16 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
it isn't nice try... its my observation as someone that doesn't live in either city...portland/slc...
Downtown Portland beats SLC hands down.. that is why there is so much tension between boise forumers and slc forumers.. because slc gets compared to boise.....when its compared to cities its size.. its dead.. and the sad thing is.... I'd prefer to dine out, go to clubs, and enjoy myself in downtown boise.. than I would downtown slc... there is more options in boise.. IMHO

I never said Portland didn't have a better downtown that Salt Lake. However your flawed, idiotic logic assumes that since it isn't, that automatically makes Salt Lake's downtown dead. When in reality, anyone with a lick of sense realizes that a downtown may not be as vibrant as one city, but still can have enough diversity and options to be lively. I think Salt Lake fits perfectly into that and I don't think it's dead compared to many cities its size.

And of course you can turn this into a Boise vs. Salt Lake thing and I'm not going to bite. I don't care about Boise and what options they have. I do know that Salt Lake has a large downtown population, tons of entertainment options and it typically never is "dead". Does it stack up to Portland? Probably not, but I'd be willing to bet it holds its own when compared to Birmingham, Oklahoma City, Richmond, Rochester, Tucson, Tulsa and Columbus. All cities that are far closer to Salt Lake's metro than Portland is. In fact, Salt Lake isn't even in the same league as Portland in terms of population, so I don't even know why you're comparing the two. Portland's metro is the 23rd most populated metro in the country, while Salt Lake is ranked 48th.

Look, it's obvious you're trolling, but you're not from Salt Lake, so your opinion on this city really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Just like my opinion of Boise...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:39 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:55 AM
They all float down here

Your comments are snide and front loaded with a lot of baseless statements that can easily be turned into an attack. Your two cents are welcomed, however go re-read what you said. There's a fine line between saying Salt Lake can improve its downtown and saying the downtown is dead. If you didn't expect that statement to elicit a response like that, then you probably weren't thinking. If I were to have said Boise's downtown was dead, I doubt you would just shrug it off as legitimate criticism. Well there's no difference here.

You're also backpedaling, because every city is unique and different from the next. Salt Lake City is the only city, outside of New Orleans and Memphis, around its size that has a major NBA arena in its downtown. The city has hundreds of clubs, restaurants, a fantastic performing arts center, a symphony hall, a theatre that hosts the ballet, broadway shows and other events. Not to mention the fact that every night there's something new going on in the summer and 3,000 people live down there. To me, it's not even close to being dead, or less vibrant than many cities its size. Your opinion was ill-informed, so you shouldn't be surprised that people are going to call you out on it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:03 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:13 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
its not ill-informed... it was my perception.. when visiting... u re-read it...
I actually have family that lives in sandy.. I'm not a stranger to slc...
given all that you just listed that downtown slc has... I'm saying.. it could be SO much livelier than it is.. it is not utilizing those attractions and destinations to its fullest.. that is why I say slc has so much potential... I'm not back pedaling mate.. I'm trying to get u to drop down your defensive guard and just really understand what my point was... You list off so many things that you know of.. because you live there... I'm saying.. as a visitor.. I saw no notion that those things existed downtown... I'm not going to attack you in what u feel.. but you're a bit over the top when it comes to sensitivity....
You really have a hard time expressing yourself, don't you? That's cool, I understand. Sometimes it's difficult typing out what you really meant, but your original post didn't say you thought Salt Lake could be so much more livelier than it is. You flat out said it was dead, which I took to mean that there was nothing to do in downtown Salt Lake and that no one ever goes down there. That is ill-informed and since you've been here, I'm guessing you know this.

Do I need to quote you again, because I will, just for the sake of reference.

Quote:
i think the point is... for a metro area of 2 million how you all say... ]downtown slc IS dead...there's really nothing downtown that people can't find out in the malls in the suburbs.. so why the hell would people want to pay for parking and walk downtown just to go to hit up macy's and olive garden for lunch?
if the metro area is 2 million like you say.. then slc is comparable to portland..
there's a BIG difference between the vitality of downtown portland vs slc...
I think thats the point they're trying to make
That is completely ill-informed and you should be told this. Firstly, I don't know many malls that have night clubs, bars or fine dining restaurants. I don't know many malls that have a symphony hall, a performing arts center or a broadway theatre. I don't know many suburbs, or malls, that have a major NBA arena right in its downtown, or upscale art galleries and other art shows like downtown Salt Lake City does. If you can find me a suburb, especially in the Salt Lake Valley, that does, I'll concede this point.

But that's my point. You make an irrational, uninformed statement about downtown Salt Lake and then get defensive when someone calls you on your bullshit. Am I being over sensitive? Well let me go troll a Boise thread and say your downtown is dead and see what Boise forumers say to that. I'm willing to bet my life they come back with me in the same tone I came at you.

Downtown Salt Lake CAN be better and they're doing what needs to be done to improve it. However that does not mean downtown as is sucks, because it just isn't the case. You haven't brought up any points to your argument, except to say that you've been here and your family lives here. Well good for you, that doesn't give you the authority and it doesn't mean you're right.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:20 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:33 AM

I'm excited to see the new condo towers. That will surely kick start downtown.

I think the south side has MUCH more potential than the north.
Having all those LDS people in suits just doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE temple square, but I think the north side needs to be, ugh, I don't know how to say it. Less religious? I think it scares off non-religious people. I dunno.

P.S. I've always wanted a house in the avenues. I LOVE that part of town.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 4:32 PM
Robotic Construction

Cool Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 10:33 PM
On the comeback trail

SLC Has a Plan

If you want to criticize downtown Salt Lake City, now would be the time. With all the demolition going on of the two malls, making way for City Creek, the place does have room for improvement.

The downtown area is following a similar path as it did in the 1970s, when it built Crossroads and the ZCMI malls. That made downtown SLC a fine place. Now, we have Temple Square, the library/city-county building and the Gateway on different sides of downtown, which will soon have City Creek Center right in the middle.

It will be impressive when it's done. Add TRAX to it, so people can get in/out easily, and you have a nice downtown core. TRAX is also able to move us to the University of Utah, and we will soon be able to take it to the airport, too.

SLC is one town, and every other city is another. Accept each one for what it is, and enjoy the differences. The Wasatch Mountains are one of the most impressive mountain ranges in the country. We also have Energy Solutions Arena, the NBA and other events that appear there.

My favorite city, however, isn't SLC. It's Boise. That's where I grew up and it will always be home. But I live in SLC and enjoy what it offers. This city is changing, and the LDS Church is helping do it.

I look for the skyline to change, too. Since I moved here in 1990, SLC has built several new tall buildings. I foresee a few more in the upcoming years.

Oh ... we also have Lagoon.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 6:13 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post

Salt Lake City
Good one.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
...that is why there is so much tension between boise forumers and slc forumers.. because slc gets compared to boise.....when its compared to cities its size.. its dead...
haha... you mean Boiseans are always trying to compare their city to SLC.

I like Boise dont get me wrong, but anyone non-biased and not a skyscraper nerd like us would never compare the two...

I have a friend and she was dreading having to move to Boise last year for work...

it was rocky for her for a few months (as to be expected moving alone to a new city)... i told her to stick it out and now shes ok with it... she says its quaint but she still refers to it as smalltown and loves coming down here to visit.... I think she would be a good measure of the average person.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 11:33 PM

I live in SLC, visit Boise on business. This is my impression; Salt Lake has more towers and a larger downtown area wise than Boise, but Boise has a much more vibrant and dense downtown and more going on. I don't understand why the two cities get compared, maybe it is because Idaho and Utah have the Mormon connection and each city is the capitol and largest in each state. Boise doesn't seem to have the huge LDS influence. When I am in Boise on business my colleagues who live in Boise ask me how I can stand to live in the Salt Lake area, so I guess it is a two way street. Some people in Salt Lake dislike Boise and a lot of people I come accross in Boise dislike Salt Lake and Utah.
The two cities are completely different. Boise seems to be more connected to nature with the trees, the greenery, the river, the parks, etc and has a very healthy and professional business climate. Salt Lake seems to want to be considered a big city and has the more gritty areas, and the light rail, and the big interstates, and also has a professional business climate.

Last edited by Northernlad; Jun 6, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:47 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:15 AM

Oh brother.. you paint a wiiiiiiide brush there my friend. wow.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:37 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post

Oh brother.. you paint a wiiiiiiide brush there my friend. wow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West