HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:58 PM

DMC news

Pediatrics tower to stand among best
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ower/32313431/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
180 luxury condos with 40 boat slips planned for vacant east Detroit riverfront land
By KIRK PINHO. rain's Detroit Business. August 27th, 2015.

A development with 180 luxury condominiums along the east Detroit riverfront is planned now that the Detroit Police and Fire Retirement System has sold vacant land on East Jefferson Avenue for $2.3 million.

Shelby Township-based Shamrock Acquisition LLC purchased the land, which totals about 2.75 acres and had been planned to house a new headquarters for the retirement system before it moved into One Detroit Center.

Matthew Duffield, principal of Shamrock Acquisitions, said Thursday morning that the two-building high-rise development will also include underground parking, a rooftop pool and patio, and possibly about 40 boat slips.

The exact makeup of the development group is yet to be determined, he said, adding that he is in discussions with companies from Chicago and New York City. “We are interviewing the right development partners,” he said. “We are extremely excited.”

A construction time frame has not been determined, and Duffield declined to disclose expected development costs.

The land is just east of the River Towers high-rise apartment buildings with 472 units between Gabriel Richard Park to the west and Owen Park to the east.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...t-east-detroit

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Detroit’s Alger Theater Undergoing Renovations, Rooftop Deck Planned
BY ADRIENNE ROBERTS. DBusiness Daily News. August 27th, 2015.

The Alger Theater on Detroit’s east side is undergoing renovations to enhance the audiovisual system and restore the theater’s commercial space. Additionally, the Michigan Economic Development Corp. and the Friends of the Alger Theater are working to raise money to create a rooftop deck with a patio.

“This campaign will greatly accelerate our efforts and help us engage even more of the community in the transformation,” says Mike Gentile, vice president of Friends of the Alger Theater, a nonprofit dedicated to restoring and preserving the historic Art Deco theater.

The nearly 13,500-square-foot Alger Theater, built in 1935 and closed in 1984, just began showing movies earlier in the summer for the first time in 30 years. It has undergone renovations to repair the roof, remove asbestos, and install security doors.

The Friends of the Alger Theater have launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for continued renovation work. The nonprofit is working to raise funds for an audio-visual system that would provide the auditorium with equipment to show movies, present live music, and support community meetings. The goal of the campaign is $25,000 and the MEDC will match that amount.

The theater is located at 16451 East Warren Ave. [East English Village/Morningside]
http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...-Deck-Planned/

https://www.patronicity.com/project/the_alger_theater#/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:08 AM

Anyone know what this development is? I took this from Belle Isle the other day.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:43 PM

Wow, I just read that Dan Gilbert just bought the Book Tower and has big plans for it!!!!! Finally!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:46 PM

^
Yep. This really is great news for the city and the building as, so far, Gilbert has been getting buildings renovated and put back into use. That said, however, this will probably take the most work out of any of the projects Bedrock has bet on so far...especially if they plan on doing this and the David Stott concurrently. All the best to them!

Quote:

Gilbert purchases Book Tower, Book Building from Milan-based Akno Enterprises
Kirk Pinho | August 28, 2015

Dan Gilbert has purchased another 517,000 square feet of space in downtown Detroit by way of the historic Book Tower and Book Building, as well as a nearby two-story community center.

His Bedrock Real Estate Services LLC announced Friday that the buildings will be turned into “a game-changing, mixed-use development that will bring jobs, energy and new life to these properties while expanding revitalization efforts further west of Woodward Avenue to Washington Boulevard.”

The Book Tower at 1265 Washington is 241,000 square feet and the Book Building at 1249 Washington is 246,000 square feet. They were owned by Milan, Italy-based Akno Enterprises, which purchased them in 2006 for $4 million, according to CoStar Group Inc., a Washington, D.C.-based real estate information service.

The sale price for the buildings -- which were named after the real estate entrepreneur brothers J. Burgess, Frank and Herbert Book -- was not disclosed.

Real estate experts in the past have estimated that redevelopment of both buildings combined would cost at least $100 million.

Jim Ketai, managing partner and CEO of Bedrock, said the buildings will contain “a new innovative and unique mix of retail, office and residential tenants.”
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rnoon-20150828

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:48 PM
Changatron

Tremendous news!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 8:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

yeah, that's some really fantastic news!

such a beauty finally getting some long overdue TLC.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 8:10 PM

Very big news indeed. I'm having trouble thinking of another major tower that hasnt been spoken for. Central Detroit is quickly approaching a tipping point that could justify major new construction.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 8:19 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

great news for Detroit! and what a massive return for Akno's investment.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 10:58 PM

So I think there is now (certain) renovations planned for all highrise buildings downtown that are vacant except for United Artists

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:04 PM
Changatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Anyone know what this development is? I took this from Belle Isle the other day.

I'm not familiar with the location myself but it looks like the Water's Edge Apartments that were posted back in February:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifist112 View Post
I'm not sure if I missed the announcement of this some time back, but it seems they are adding to harbortown

Water's Edge Apts

Also earth moving has started for Orleans Landing.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 1:38 AM
Changatron

I was in Detroit a week ago for about an hour. I wish I had more time there to see everything that was happening with the city but but time was limited. I thought people who follow this thread who don't live in the Detroit area might be interested in the few photos I did manage to get.

The GAR building
Restored GAR Castle by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

The new cornice of the Whitney Building
David Whitney Building's New Cornice by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

M-1 Rail is making progress
M-1 Rail Under People Mover Track by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

The Wright-Kay building with upgraded street-level
The Wright-Kay Building by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Pierson Building
Wrapping Up Pierson Building Renovation by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Valpey Building
Valpey Building Renovation Begins by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

A couple general shots of Woodward
Downtown Detroit - Woodward Avenue by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Woodward Avenue by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Construction on John R. I think it is utility worked related to the streetcar
John R Street Construction by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Wurlitzer looked pretty much the same but last I saw it those windows were closed. I hope that means work has started inside.
Wurlitzer Building by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Gillis House in Brush Park
Gillis House Restoration by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Gillis House Turret by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Midtown the streetcar construction in front of the buildings
Midtown Begins by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

James Scott Mansion
James Scott Mansion by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

A couldn't get a good view of the arena work, but this view shows off the remaining hotel building
New Arena Coming by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

I hate the look of the new MCS windows, but I'm glad the building is getting closed up
Michigan Central Station Gets Windows by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

MCS's Ugly New Windows by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Wow, I just read that Dan Gilbert just bought the Book Tower and has big plans for it!!!!! Finally!
FUCKKK YESS!!!!

If book tower gets renovated that will truly be a symbol of the rebirth of Detroit.

It's one of the greatest pre-war towers in the United States and deserves nothing but the best!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:49 PM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Lear Buys Downtown Building for Satellite HQ

DBusiness reports that automotive supplier Lear Co has purchased the Hemmeter Building on at Centre and Grand Ave to use as a downtown satellite office. The company's principal location in Southfield has manufactured automotive assemblies and stamped metal since 1917. The Hemmeter Building, a 7-story medium rise office building once home to a cigar company, has 50,000 square feet of space.

Lear told DBusiness their plan is to renovate, but that they have no timeline for moving personnel into the space, but that the move made sense because of the company's ties to the city.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...tellite-hq.php
Over in LaSalle Gardens
Quote:

Paul Johnson, owner of New York City's Johnson Trading Gallery, purchased Woods Cathedral at auction last year for $6700. As we reported Monday, Mr. Johnson has been renovating Woods since this winter, with plans to make the building into artists' studios, event or display space. Curbed Detroit has exclusive images from the remodel of the 90-year-old building in progress. Johnson's investment is already paying off, and Curbed's photographs show that the building has tremendous potential.
http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ul-johnson.php

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 1:07 AM

Live webcam has been set up. Construction is ramping up now.

http://www.districtdetroit.com/live-web-cam/

Thread in case you haven't subsribed yet: http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...22#post7148122

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 2:35 AM

All taken yesterday:

Work continues on the Valpey Building

and at the new GSTV HQ

Construction on Capitol Park Building's cornice has begun

I remember reading a new restaurant is moving into this space

New mural on the back of that same building

Work continues on the Metropole Building's new cornice

The main reason I came downtown yesterday: work to renovate the Wurlitzer Building into a hotel began yesterday

Henry Ford QuickCare in the Grinnell Bros Building. Hopefully this means the upper floors will be filled soon

This came out of no where. Construction seems to have begun at the Woodward Building by Gilbert. I might have missed the announcement?

Work at the Pierson Building seems to be completed, at least externally

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 2:49 AM

Thanks for the update! Everything looks great!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:14 PM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Construction begins on DuCharme Place project.

Construction work has begun on DuCharme Place, a 185-unit, $42-million upscale residential community planned for 1544 E. Lafayette, just east of the iconic 1300 Lafayette Tower. The project is headed by Southfield-based Arco Construction. McIntosh Poris architects designed DuCharme Place and Sachse Construction is building it.
http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...arco/72609568/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:52 PM

Construction Starting on Apartments Atop Downtown Garage
by Rebecca Golden
Thursday, September 24, 2015
Curbed Detroit

Last year, we reported that plans were approved for a stack of apartments atop a parking garage on Michigan Ave. Today, residents in the apartments inside the tony Westin Book Cadillac received notice that construction on those apartments begins next week.

While we reported that the new apartment stack, to be called "The Griswold," would have five stories, the notice sent by the Book Cadillac states that the project actually consists of "8 floors of apartments on top of the 150 Michigan Avenue parking garage."

The current set of renderings on the the Kraemer Design Group website show a building that will blend very well with neighbors, the Book Cadillac included. We've seen other renderings that make the thing look more like a stack of old-school East German apartments fell on top of a garage in Detroit, so we're hoping the ones we're seeing now are truly the plan.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...xbury-degc.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations