HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 6:07 PM

[QUOTE=Avian001;5899087]Most everyone is at UrbanMSP.com or at the other big forum. Plenty of updates there.

But here are a few things happening in downtown Minneapolis.....

Dozens of apartment projects are going up all over Minneapolis and St. Paul. About 11,000 units are under construction or planned just in the central cities.

Current projects in downtown Minneapolis only:

How many of these proposed projects have been started and how many have been completed?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 8:06 PM

Xcel Energy HQ Expansion - Demo of Parking Structure Complete.

Xcel Energy Headquarters expansion - The old parking garage is no more - this is what is left of it - they are just cleaning up the rubble. The Nic next door to it is in the home stretch as far as construction.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:45 AM
Ascension

[QUOTE=Michael12374;6592785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Most everyone is at UrbanMSP.com or at the other big forum. Plenty of updates there.

But here are a few things happening in downtown Minneapolis.....

Dozens of apartment projects are going up all over Minneapolis and St. Paul. About 11,000 units are under construction or planned just in the central cities.

Current projects in downtown Minneapolis only:

How many of these proposed projects have been started and how many have been completed?
Also: what's the status of the status of the New Vikings Stadium? As well as the light rail to St. Paul?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 1:41 PM

[QUOTE=BrandonJXN;6605916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael12374 View Post

Also: what's the status of the status of the New Vikings Stadium? As well as the light rail to St. Paul?
New Vikings stadium is under construction. Demolition of the Metrodome was accomplished in record time - only a few months. New stadium is supposed to be open for the 2016-2017 season and (I think I heard) will host the Superbowl in 2018.

The light rail (Green Line) to St. Paul opens on June 14th

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 8:20 AM

I used to remember there being a website along the lines of Mississippi River project or something like that where a bunch of ideas such as an underground view of the Mississippi and revitalized power plant buildings were shown. But now I can't find the site. Anyone know the site I'm talking about?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I used to remember there being a website along the lines of Mississippi River project or something like that where a bunch of ideas such as an underground view of the Mississippi and revitalized power plant buildings were shown. But now I can't find the site. Anyone know the site I'm talking about?
They were talking about this at Mill City Museum, but not sure it is anything more than gossip. However, if things keep going they way they are (lots of jobs, money, population growth), I don't think anything is off the table.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 5:17 AM

While most people that pay attention to MSP issues may be at urbanmsp, we certainly welcome any updates and additions here. Minneapolis is one of the largest metropolitan regions in the country, it'd be great to hear more updates from there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
While most people that pay attention to MSP issues may be at urbanmsp, we certainly welcome any updates and additions here. Minneapolis is one of the largest metropolitan regions in the country, it'd be great to hear more updates from there.
I do not understand why posting on urbanmsp is better than posting here. Its visually less attractive and much harder to follow projects IMO.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 10:05 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

SSC has a growing MSP community due to infighting on Urban MSP...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
SSC has a growing MSP community due to infighting on Urban MSP...
Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Thanks for the update.
Its layout is easier to follow and Milwaukee , Seattle are also large SSC communities. I honestly wish the 2 sites would just merge along with a few other sites which are all competing for users. I think if it were just the one site there would be more participation across the site. You would have SSP's Chicago members posting in the Milwaukee/Wisconsin sections or Minneapolis. I also propose merging other sites like Kcrag , Urban STL , Urbanohio , ArchBoston ,WiredNY into SSC giving them their own sections...and overhauling the North American section... I was abit off topic with that post...but I felt I needed to say that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 3:54 AM

If anyone would like to invite people from those forums to this one, it would be greatly appreciated. I like local, niche forums that cater just to the community, but it would be great to have that message expanded and brought to a larger audience as well.

Especially for a major area like Minneapolis.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
If anyone would like to invite people from those forums to this one, it would be greatly appreciated. I like local, niche forums that cater just to the community, but it would be great to have that message expanded and brought to a larger audience as well.

Especially for a major area like Minneapolis.
I doubt it could convince anyone to come over , they have a separate website and their own section on SSC... I think the various regional sites were folded into one then their would be more participation...its such a pain to bounce between sites. The Northeast is a broken mess due to this method... You have Arch Boston for New England , SSP for Pittsburgh & Philly , WiredNY for New York-New Jersey and SSC for upstate NY and Balt-Washington... Some of these sites are dying...or being stretched thin... The Midwest has similar issues , Urban Ohio for Ohio , UrbanMSP for the Twin Cities , Kcrag for Kansas City , UrbanSTL for St. Louis and Eomaha for Omaha...and SSC for Indiana & Wisconsin... Its just a mess...

So I proposed this layout for the merger of all those sites or just SSP into SSC...I didn't do Canada...

Quote:
The North American Forum

Multi Board is the way the Toronto Forum is laided out , divided into sub forums...

Sticky Layout is the basic forum layout....I don't think its good for high traffic forums like NYC or some of the cities I listed below from the merged sites.

United States

Northeast DE , VT , NH , ME , WV would be under the this forum due to low traffic

Upstate New York .sticky cities , Rochester , Buffalo ,Niagara Falls , Syracuse and Albany

New Jersey . Sticky layout > Newark , NJ Gold Coast , Coastal Jersey , Central & South Jersey , Transportation & Infrastructure , Photos & Skybar

Individual City Boards

Boston , Multi Board > Development Projects , Design a Better Boston , Transit and Infrastructure , Providence, Photos , Skybar

New York City , Multi Board > Manhattan Development Projects , Outer Borough Projects , Transit and Infrastructure , Photos , Skybar

Philadelphia ,Sticky Layout > General Developments , SEPTA , Photos, individual projects would rename unpinned

Pittsburgh , Sticky Layout > General Developments , Photos, individual projects would rename unpinned

Baltimore - Washington - NOVA , Sticky Layout > Remains unchanged...

-------------

Midwest MI, The Dakotas ,MN , WI , KS , OK , IL ,MO would be under this forum due to low traffic

Ohio Multi board > Cleveland , Columbus , Cincinnati , Toledo , General Ohio , Transportation & Infrastructure , Photos & Skybar

Indiana , Sticky Layout > Indianapolis , Fort Wayne , Bloomington

Individual City Boards
Minneapolis-St. Paul , Sticky Layout > General Developments , Metro Public Transit , Photos, individual projects would rename unpinned

Milwaukee , Sticky Layout > General Developments , Public Transit , Photos, individual projects would rename unpinned

Chicago , Multi Board > Projects , Public Transit & Infrastructure , Photos & Skybar

Omaha , Multi Board > Urban Omaha Development , Suburban Omaha Development , Council Bluffs Development , Transportation & Infrastructure , News , Skybar & Photos
addition Nebraska discussions would be below the multi board threads.

Kansas City , Multi Board > Downtown , Power & Light District , Urban Core , Suburbs , Transit & Infrastructure , Sports , Photos & Skybar

St Louis , Multi Board > Downtown , Central Corridor , South St. Louis , North St. Louis , Metro St. Louis , Transit & Infrastructure , Sports , Photos & Skybar

--------

Mountain West - ID ,NM ,WY , NV & MT

Colorado , Multi Board > Denver , Boulder , Colorado Springs , Fort Collins , Transportation & Infrastructure , Photos & Skybar

Utah , Sticky layout > Salt lake city , Provo , St. George and Ogden

Arizona , Multi Board > Phoenix Metro , Tuscon , Flagstaff / Northern Arizona , General Arizona , Transportation & Infrastructure , Photos & Skybar

---------------

Pacific West , AK , HI , WA & OR

California , Multi Board > Sacramento , San Diego ,Central Valley , Transit & Infrastructure , Photos , Skybar/News

Individual Cities

Greater Los Angeles Metro , Multi Board > Projects , Our Buildings , Transportation-Infrastructure , Greater L.A. Area & The Interchange (remains unchanged)

San Fransisco Bay Area , Multi Board > SF Proper Projects , San Jose , Oakland, Transportation-Infrastructure , News/ Skybar & Photos (some changes)

Seattle
, Sticky Layout , remains unchanged

Portland , Multi Board > Downtown & City of Portland , Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues , Transportation & Infrastructure , Photos & Skybar

---------------

Southern States - AL ,VA ,AR , NC , SC , MS , GA , LA , TN & KY would be in the general thread due to low traffic

Florida , Mulit Board layout > Miami , Tampa Bay Area , Orlando , Sarasota , Tallahassee , Coastal Panhandle , Ft. Myers/Naples , Photos , News / Weather / Misc
[B]

Texas , Multi Board > San Antonio , Austin , El Paso , Dallas-Fort Worth , Houston , Transportation & Infrastructure , Photos & Skybar

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:40 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

So I clicked on the last page of this thread, hoping to see a nice rundown of what's happening in Minneapolis. Instead, I see a well thought out plan for assimilating dozens of regional forums into SSC. I can appreciate the time it took and certainly if there was a way to make it easier to check out the happenings of every city, that would be pretty cool. The reality is - if you're interested in what's going on in a certain city, the onus is on you to figure out the best place to go - that's the beauty and pain of modern technology.

I've been a member of SSP since 1997 - 18 years to save anyone the trouble. I don't disagree that the whole SSP/SSC/whoever-else-is-out-there community is fragmented but there's a reason and I think it might help you if you knew some of the context and history. For the first few years, SSP was finding its way, establishing what was/wasn't appropriate, etc. A substantial amount of people felt SSP was too strict about, you name it - profanity, taking threads off-topic, etc. Eventually they left or ended up banned from SSP - and as I recall, SSC was formed by a core group of those ex-SSP people, not unlike Australia which was originally a penal colony Eventually the different sub-regions felt like they were getting lost in either SSP or SSC and either dried up or created their own place for discussion.

Eventually SSC grew, started to gain more of a credible foothold in non-North American countries, a good thing since SSP hasn't had the best success with that. Unfortunately, the 'free for all' mentality at SSC permeated a lot of discussions and turned off a lot of potential members, myself included. I spend a lot of time doing my 'super-geek' thing of: owning/operating clevelandskyscrapers.com, the Cleveland construction thread on SSP, and being an Admin at the UrbanOhio forum (fyi, as far as UrbanOhio, it's grown to the extent I'm actively looking for Mods for the Cleveland section)- I don't have time or patience for "OMG, I totes #hatescleveland!!!" or other BS. Maybe SSC has improved since I last checked and I think it's great both forums attract the casual viewer and the 'super-geeks' but I prefer the active/hands-on moderating style of SSP.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:53 AM

An updated Downtown Map from May

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:39 PM

MQ Plaza web cam

Looks like the Marquette Plaza Webcam is offline and has been for several days. Anyone know the scoop on this?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 5:54 PM

I'm new to SSP and wanted to show you all what's going on in MSP. Minneapolis is in the midst of a building boom with no signs of slowing down. Lots of residential developments, hotel developments, and a potential 50+ office tower going up in the central core. Enjoy!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 5:58 PM

AC Marriott Hotel, 9fl, 401 Hennepin Ave

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...D-FF5F322AC88A

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 6:03 PM

I agree. Minneapolis needs more attention on SSP and I will try to keep this forum updated.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 6:30 PM

4marq Residences 30fl(left), New Xcel Energy HQ 9fl(right)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations