HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 2:57 AM

Paul Kane Park

https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/s...91830763933696

Quote:
City of Edmonton‏ @CityofEdmonton
Paul Kane Park reopens today! Check out the upgraded ornamental pond, including naturalized bank, upgraded wooden decks & water feature.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:36 PM

Wow that that is really nice!! I had no idea this was being done.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 7:14 PM

Looks great. I've been looking forward to the completion of this project. I presume they'll plant bulrushes in the margins next spring.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 10:31 PM

Took a while but looks great. Wait until the grasses grow next year,

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 3:15 AM

A couple of photos of Paul Kane Park at night.

Paul Kane Park at Night by Brendan Eirich, on Flickr

Paul Kane Park at Night by Brendan Eirich, on Flickr

Enjoy!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 4:09 AM

I am glad they kept the pond because I thought they were removing it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 1:26 AM
Community Guy

That's beautifully redone. What a great amenity.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 6:04 AM
Big Dog

Boo! Hiss! They were obviously aiming to keep people out of the water with that design. We had the best time there when our kids were young. On a hot day we'd hang out there and wade through the pool. The kids used to walk down the little river, sit under the waterfall, play with the fountain and try to spray each other.

Now apparently we're only allowed to look at the water. It looks pretty but in terms of usability this is a major downgrade.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 6:34 AM

There are many parks with water features for kids to run around in not every park needs a bunch of screaming kids running around. One park for a more tranquil experience is not out of order.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:08 AM
Community Guy

...the Oliver pool is 2 blocks away.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:21 PM
Big Dog

Paul Kane park was the best park to relax on a sunny afternoon with the kids (not screaming) and a fenced in swimming pool with an admission fee is obviously not comparable.

It was the only park I'm aware of where you could actually stroll through some ankle deep water to cool off and have some fun, but it seems the city wants us to only enjoy our parks with our eyes. The water was the main reason people went there to hang out. It was so nice. Now they've sucked all the fun out of it. Really disappointing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:25 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
There are many parks with water features for kids to run around in.
Spray parks are not nice places for adults. Adults only go to spray parks to make their kids happy. No mature trees, no shade, no beautiful features, just direct sun and a bunch of screaming kids next to a school playground on the edge of a soccer field. Paul Kane park was perfect. It was nice for adults and kids.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:00 PM
Derp

To be fair, all outdoor pools in Edmonton have been free admission for the past two summers, so there's that

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:00 PM

For the smallest kids (under 3) spray parks are too much with unpredictable huge spashes from dumping buckets and big sprays; pools require 100% hands-on supervision and no matter what you put them in are too cold on all but the hottest days.

Wading really is the way to go. I thought that the stream portion of the water feature would still be accessible for wading - if that's not the case that's too bad for sure.

At last the city hall pool will soon be appropriate for toddlers if sanitized and boring for everyone else.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:22 PM
Derp

The pools at the Leg grounds are fun too, we had our 4 y/o there during Taste of Edmonton and he had a blast, tons of other families with young kids there too

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:24 AM
Big Dog

Yes, the pools at the leg grounds are good too. Gets pretty busy there though on a hot day.

I went by Paul Kane park today to see the changes for myself. As I suspected, it's definitely no longer a wading pool. The tall grass planted all along the edge is a purposeful barrier. In addition to that this grass requires dirt to grow so the entire pool is now full of dirt so even if you could get to the water it wouldn't be any fun.

The little river has been reduced to a trickle. It's literally just a stream across the pavement, like somebody poured out a bucket, not even deep enough to get your entire big toe wet. The waterfall has been replaced with a more modern waterfall which lets the water stream down the side of a stone which means you can no longer sit under it. Sigh.

Yes, it all looks very nice, it's just not fun anymore (and it looks like that was a design goal because they couldn't have been more obvious).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 12:09 AM

There seems to be an intentional and concerted effort by the city to suck the fun out of everything (I would guess for fear of civil litigation if some incident were to happen or maybe helicopter parents have infiltrated city hall as well)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 4:44 PM

Aye. We also used to bring our kids to Paul Kane Park and had a blast. The new park? Meh. Pretty but boring.

I my view successful parks lend themselves to a diversity of uses. The old Paul Kane had that nailed. Kids had a blast but it was also beautiful and was never a small-child mono-culture - there were always book readers, guys with acoustic guitars mixed into the fun.

Edmonton's downtown now suffers from the opposite problem. It is a decent enough place for young adults and oldies but is in lots of ways is actively hostile to individuals with children. In my view, that's not a sustainable way to build healthy downtown neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 8:33 PM
Big Dog

So I voiced my displeasure to the city and it turns out the reason they sucked the fun out of this park is because AHS thinks fun is too dangerous. The new health regs do not allow for people to go into the water. We could get germs.

Last edited by IKAN104; Oct 8, 2018 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:56 AM

^ It's the same reason why the wading pool in front of city hall is being reduced to a puddle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton