HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
On a related note, can anyone tell me when campaigning begins? Because I'd be very open to voting for someone running against McKeen.
I think McKeen is just doing his job in giving all sides a fair chance to state their case before making a decision. I wouldn't be surprised if McKeen has secretly already made up his mind.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 5:01 AM

Also....is anyone running for mayor yet? Or even being talked about as running for mayor?

I haven't lived here for a municipal election yet so I have no idea what to expect. I'm just a poli junkie.

I see nominations are finalized in September, so there's still a long way to go. I've just heard literally nothing about anything or anybody.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 7:29 AM

I don't really have an issue with McKeen. He's an urban hipster - a patriarch on a Vespa - and that's his main demographic draw and where most of his positions are informed. Sure I disagree with some of his stances, but I don't expect my elected representatives to be 100% eye-to-eye with my own views. I'll definitely take him over the likes of Kerry Diotte or Don Koziak.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I don't really have an issue with McKeen. He's an urban hipster - a patriarch on a Vespa - and that's his main demographic draw and where most of his positions are informed. Sure I disagree with some of his stances, but I don't expect my elected representatives to be 100% eye-to-eye with my own views. I'll definitely take him over the likes of Kerry Diotte or Don Koziak.

Pretty much low hanging fruit.

I will take anyone who doesn't just need a job and wants some attention. But really wants to serve the city Of Edmonton with some skill and dedication......

And oh yeah....not be a total political Cuck.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 11:02 AM

I feel like a good 99% of my disagreements with McKeen would go away if he got rid of that thing on his face. Reminds me of that MLA from Leduc with the Karl Marx beard.

Never trust a man with facial hair.

But yeah unless somebody normal runs against him (which I doubt would happen) he's got my vote.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 11:05 AM

Diotte is like that special kind of urban, middle aged, white, angry conservative that just complains about everything and offers nothing. You tend to find them more in places like Toronto than out here. They generally convey a worldview rooted in being hopeless.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
I feel like a good 99% of my disagreements with McKeen would go away if he got rid of that thing on his face. Reminds me of that MLA from Leduc with the Karl Marx beard.

But yeah unless somebody normal runs against him (which I doubt would happen) he's got my vote.
Disliking someone for their appearance rather than their policies and beliefs? Really?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Disliking someone for their appearance rather than their policies and beliefs? Really?
Yeah because I was obviously being serious. Really?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah because I was obviously being serious. Really?
It wasn't clear that you were being not serious. There are people that truly care about appearance more than substance.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 7:51 PM
HVAC guru

I dislike Scott McKeen because in my opinion he is an opportunist, hypocrite and a liar.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
It wasn't clear that you were being not serious. There are people that truly care about appearance more than substance.
To be quite honest, some personal appearance choices say a lot about a person's ability to make common sense decisions. I WILL take into account how a person presents themselves when electing someone to make decisions on my behalf.

When I say taking into account though, first and foremost in the voting decision will be their platform and ability to tell the truth.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I dislike Scott McKeen because in my opinion he is an opportunist, hypocrite and a liar.
Likewise.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
My leaser friends are expecting a 30% vacancy by the end of the year

The real shock comes when the Wildrose gets in government in two years and guts the civil service
Unless they join with the PCs that won't happen. They don't win in the cities.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:16 PM
HVAC guru

^ oh I think Calgary will lurch solidly right next election, save for a few ridings. The NDP themselves don't expect a second term so I am hearing

Whether it's the Wildrose or the PC's, it spells trouble for Edmonton. Better hope oil prices rebound before the next election, 'cause you know, everything is Rachel Notley's fault

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:17 PM
Change is good

and if nots Rachel's fault, its Justin's fault.

Wildrose provincially, Kevin Oleary lead conversatives nationally.

ughhhh

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:19 PM
HVAC guru

^ I'd love to say that O'Leary doesn't have a chance but I've been burned by that type of statement before...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:26 PM
Change is good

He's basically following a similar strategy that Trump did. Everyone that says they are tired of the same old politicians doing the same old thing and want a change to someone that will pretend to represent the common working man. He will act like everyone in the conservative party is working against him, and will gain popularity that way, and get picked to lead the PC. Then he will lead the PCs pretending the media and all regular politicians are out to get him because he represent real change blah blah blah. I'm already getting sick

The misinformation age.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 PM
HVAC guru

Kenney is playing the everyman card as well. I believe he'll be elected the leader of the Pc's here shortly then waste no time at all dismantling the party and merging it with the WR

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:31 PM

I still see a WRP government being highly unlikely unless there's a merger. If they go against a Kenney-led PC they're not going to be winning much in Calgary. And if it's a PC government or a United right, I can live with that. WRP always polls well two years out from an election and then fall on their faces when it matters (because, like...people actually vote for parties with platforms).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton