HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:39 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton - MacEwan University - Centre for the Arts and Communications

MacEwan University's new Centre for the Arts and Communications.

http://www.bingthomarchitects.com/pr...ommunications/

tada

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:54 PM
Community Guy

Centre for the Arts and Communications
Edmonton, AB
A dynamic new addition to MacEwan University’s City Centre Campus, the Centre for the Arts and Communications (CAC) will be a consolidated, functional and sustainable new home for the Faculty’s existing programs. Located on a major thoroughfare at the western edge of downtown Edmonton, the CAC will be an elegant entrance landmark for both the University campus and the city.

The building will house performance and educational spaces including a proscenium theatre, a recital hall, a black-box theatre, galleries and a wide range of visual arts, digital and sound studios. With state-of-the-art instructional facilities, the design emphasizes the CAC’s identity as a hub for converging ideas and social interaction. Informal learning, performance and gathering spaces are playfully woven into two main atria, which will showcase a spectrum of student, staff and visitor activities. Natural daylight will penetrate these vibrant cores, enlivening them with changing light qualities throughout the day.

The exterior is a modern, sleek curtain wall façade with wavy forms subtly referencing the image of a stage curtain, an apt metaphor for the dynamics and function of the building. Latest energy modelling techniques optimize the composition of the façade and the mechanical systems to achieve high energy efficiency, which is crucial for Edmonton’s cold winters. The building is targeted to attain LEED® Silver certification.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 8:09 PM
Community Guy

Development Permit submitted.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 4:10 PM
Community Guy

Alberta expands MacEwan campus
March 12, 2014

The Redford government is giving 4,000 more students the chance to learn at a single, sustainable MacEwan campus in downtown Edmonton.

Budget 2014 contributes $30 million over the next three years to build the Centre for Arts and Culture at MacEwan University’s City Centre Campus. This expansion will allow the University to consolidate its operations in the downtown core and allow for growth to more than 17,000 students from its current 13,000-student body.

The expansion will consolidate programs and classes currently spread out at MacEwan University’s West End and Mill Woods campuses in Edmonton. The new five-storey building will be home to the University’s visual and performing arts programs and will provide teaching space to accommodate anticipated future growth. It will be built to silver LEED standards and be connected to the rest of campus by a pedway.

By centralizing in downtown Edmonton, students currently attending the other campuses will have access to the full scope of programming at the downtown campus along with increased access to fitness facilities, varsity athletics, student clubs, libraries, food services, and other ammenities. Additionally, the University expects to save approximately $1.8 million a year once classes and operations are fully established.

The total cost of construction is estimated at $153 million. The remaining cost will be paid for by the sale of the West End and Mill Woods campuses along with internal university resources, parking revenue, retail leasing agreements, and private fundraising.

Construction is expected to start this summer with the new campus building open for students in the fall of 2017.

Under the Building Alberta Plan, our government is investing in families and communities, living within our means, and opening new markets for Alberta's resources to ensure we're able to fund the services Albertans told us matter most to them. We will continue to deliver the responsible change Albertans voted for.

SW view by Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education, on Flickr

Pedway by Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education, on Flickr

Main Entry Canopy by Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education, on Flickr

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:14 PM
Community Guy

MacEwan University Fine Arts Building in Edmonton. Bing Thom design.

(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...pscebc2047.png)

full video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHQurnbOTw

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:24 PM
Community Guy

Centre for Arts and Culture plans unveiled
Wed, May 14 2014 Back

MacEwan University unveiled the design plans for the new Centre for Arts and Culture building at a news conference earlier today.
Official approval for the building was announced at a press conference in March when the government committed $30 million towards its construction. The $153 million structure will be built on university-owned land adjacent to the Robbins Health Learning Centre on City Centre Campus in downtown Edmonton. When the facility is completed in fall 2017, it will house the fine and performing arts programs currently located at the university’s west-end campus. The building is designed by Bing Thom Architects (Vancouver).
Architect Bing Thom, university president David Atkinson and Tammy Pidner from Edmonton Economic Development Corporation spoke at the event.
Check out the story of the event via the university’s social media feeds, beginning with a video flyby of the building.

(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnnONYBIMAA6KeY.png)

http://www.macewan.ca/wcm/MacEwanNew...PLANS_UNVEILED

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:48 PM
Community Guy

Screen shots from video

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:57 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:37 PM
Community Guy

MacEwan Centre for Fine Arts and Culture broke ground today

www.bingthomarchitects.com

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...01620615_o.jpg)
via facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MacEwanUniv...type=1&fref=nf)

... we are all very excited to see all of the team's hard work finally get going!

Another massive parking lot filled and 4000 students for downtown, let alone the impact of 3 new theatres on our educational and cultural scene.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:00 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 8:08 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:17 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:43 PM
Community Guy

3rd storey work already... flying.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:58 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:07 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 1:51 PM
Community Guy

Artist to build bronze trapline for MacEwan’s new arts building

BY RACHEL WARD, EDMONTON JOURNAL

EDMONTON - This fall, art­ist Bren­da Draney will fill her ATV with paints and can­vas and head to the woods along an un­familiar trap­line.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...261/story.html

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:25 PM
Community Guy

New CFAC Week 42: Restaurant spotlight
Wed, Aug 26 2015 Back

Imagine that you’ve just taken in a stunning theatrical performance at the Centre for Arts and Culture’s Proscenium Theatre, or perhaps a jazz concert in the building’s Recital Hall. What better way to cap off the evening than to gather for cocktails in a sleek, modern restaurant without having to leave the building?
Or perhaps you’ve come downtown to watch a game at Rogers Place. You have time to spare so you walk through CFAC to look at a student art exhibition before sitting down to an exquisite dinner, accompanied by the sounds of an acoustic musical performance.
All of these scenarios are one step closer to becoming a reality. Last week, concrete was poured on the southwest side of the main floor of CFAC, an area designated for a full-service restaurant.
Though there is no tenant confirmed yet, the space has been designed with a blended audience of students, faculty, theatre- and concert-goers, and the downtown community in mind. The space will allow for two levels—one of which may be used for private dining for events, meetings and conferences—as well as outdoor seating.
The prospect of music students performing in the space was an important design consideration. By planning for this in advance, the area can now be built to accommodate the space and acoustic standards ideal for performance, optimizing the experience for both musicians and audiences. It’s this level of foresight and attention to detail that will make not only this restaurant, but the entire CFAC a unique and valuable space on the MacEwan University campus and in downtown Edmonton.

http://www.macewan.ca

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:40 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 8:45 PM
Community Guy

gmcc_2015-10-04 by Delorean9, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development