HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgu View Post
Anybody received that 6th amendment yet?
6th amendment? At this rate, this must be a twelve episode series worthy of Game of Thrones treatment. I love the tower but the snail pace is questionable.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokim99 View Post
\

Does radiant cooling considered to be superior technology then conventional , forced air A/C then ? why would developers choose radiant cooling over forced air ?
Don't consider radiant cooling as A/C.
Use of radiant cooling is limited and often supplemented with another source of cooling because it cannot lower the room temperature effectively.
It will create condensation issues as soon as you try to cool the room like an A/C.

For example, it's 28C with 48% RH today = dew point of ~16C.
You'll start to see condensation on the ceiling once the surface temperature drops below 16C and you left a window open or took a hot shower.
To prevent the condensate water dripping from the ceiling, cooling tubes should not be chilled less than 16C at the source, which is not cold enough to effectively cool the room.

So why use radiant cooling?
At the end of the day, it comes down to the installation cost.
It's way cheaper to lay radiant tubings while pouring slab instead of installing fan coil/air handler and ductworks.

With assumption:
- 1000 sq ft 2BR unit
- PEX (plastic) radiant tubings @ $0.50/ft
- 1500 ft of PEX (more than enough to cover 1000 sq ft)
Ignoring labour, the installation cost would be:
- $1000+/unit for radiant cooling ($750 PEX+$100 t-stat+$150 zone valve)
- $4000+/unit for fan coil with ductwork ($3000 coil+$100 t-stat+$1000 ductwork+additional anchoring/hatch/drywall finish)
- Cost savings would be far greater for smaller sized 1BR units because base costs for fan coils are generally expensive regardless of capacity.

Now, the benefit of radiant cooling would be:
- Flexibility and saves a lot of space inside the residential unit
- Virtually no maintenance requirements for occupants with no filters or moving parts
- It's quiet and "gentle" because it does not move air

Again, radiant cooling will not lower your room temperature much but makes you "feel" cooler, like lying on a tiled floor instead of carpet.
Most buildings needing A/C prefer to cool and dehumidify the air, so they use more expensive fan coils with chilled water running through and condensate pan will catch moisture as air passes through.
I think its an added bonus to have at least radiant cooling, but it is not like an A/C without fan coils inside each residential units.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhallgoat View Post
Use of radiant cooling is limited and often supplemented with another source of cooling because it cannot lower the room temperature effectively.
It will create condensation issues as soon as you try to cool the room like an A/C.

You'll start to see condensation on the ceiling once the surface temperature drops below 16C and you left a window open or took a hot shower.
To prevent the condensate water dripping from the ceiling, cooling tubes should not be chilled less than 16C at the source, which is not cold enough to effectively cool the room.

It's way cheaper to lay radiant tubings while pouring slab instead of installing fan coil/air handler and ductworks.

With assumption:
- 1000 sq ft 2BR unit
- $4000+/unit for fan coil with ductwork ($3000 coil+$100 t-stat+$1000 ductwork+additional anchoring/hatch/drywall finish)
- Cost savings would be far greater for smaller sized 1BR units because base costs for fan coils are generally expensive regardless of capacity.

- Virtually no maintenance requirements for occupants with no filters or moving parts

Again, radiant cooling will not lower your room temperature much but makes you "feel" cooler, like lying on a tiled floor instead of carpet.
Most buildings needing A/C prefer to cool and dehumidify the air, so they use more expensive fan coils with chilled water running through and condensate pan will catch moisture as air passes through.
I think its an added bonus to have at least radiant cooling, but it is not like an A/C without fan coils inside each residential units.
Would this considered to be false advertisement then because this project was marketed as having AC?? They never said it's radiant cooling, they specifically said there is AC.. Mmm

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 4:26 AM

I googled radiant cooling and the write-ups I saw were quite promising. It’s described as a newer technology that’s popular in Europe. At least one article described it as an effective way to maintain cool temperatures. The key question though is, do condo units at 3 Civic have a mechanism to reduce humidity from the air. Even if no built-in system exists, condo occupants could always purchase their own dehumidifiers as a means to make the radiant cooling that much more effective.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhallgoat View Post

With assumption:
- 1000 sq ft 2BR unit

What detailed insight - thanks @montyhallgoat - learn something new every day! @rokim99, regarding "false advertising" I don't think it is, even their marketing brochure which I still kept, it says "sophisticated climate control system", "in slab radiant heating"

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:24 AM

Traditional air conditioning wouldn't make sense with the building's energy efficiency goals. Radiant heating and cooling is a better fit, using Surrey's district energy connection. A/C of any kind is understandably uncommon in this climate, so I treat the radiant cooling as a bonus feature.

The building's supposed to be LEED certified, but the marketing didn't mention that.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
I googled radiant cooling and the write-ups I saw were quite promising. It’s described as a newer technology that’s popular in Europe. At least one article described it as an effective way to maintain cool temperatures. The key question though is, do condo units at 3 Civic have a mechanism to reduce humidity from the air. Even if no built-in system exists, condo occupants could always purchase their own dehumidifiers as a means to make the radiant cooling that much more effective.
Use of dehumidifiers may be counterproductive in the summer.
They add quite a lot of heat through dehumidification process (unless you get a desiccant dehumidifier).
BC Building Code requires continuous ventilation system for new constructions so that might alleviate moisture problems.

Radiant cooling is proven to work for commercial buildings with limited operable windows and large open space like airports or office towers with little to no fluctuation in room temperature throughout the day.
There is too much uncertainty for radiant cooling in a residential application compared to the commercial application.
Humidity and temperature can fluctuate in short time as occupants can freely open the windows, raising dew point.
Also taking a hot shower, cooking pasta, using dishwasher, etc, will introduce lots of heat and moisture in a relatively small residential space.

During hot days, cold water supply temperature would (should) be increased at the source according to the dew point.
Then, thermostat in room would (should) also reduce the flow rate of water as you introduce more moisture/heat in a room to prevent condensation.
Once the room temperature and humidity increases, supply water temperature will be increased to combat condensation, which may in turn increase room temperature more, which causes supply water temperature to be increased even more, which increases room temp... and so on.

I do not know the actual implementation in 3CP, but it is best to keep windows and shades closed during daytime and shut bathroom doors after taking shower if you want your system to cool the room to max.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
At P.A. we are required to have a bathroom fan running 8 hrs. a day, 4 hrs. in the morning and 4 hrs. again in the afternoon, in fact it's on a timer. They told us it's to keep the humidity down and it does. Is 3 C.P. going to be the same?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
At P.A. we are required to have a bathroom fan running 8 hrs. a day, 4 hrs. in the morning and 4 hrs. again in the afternoon, in fact it's on a timer. They told us it's to keep the humidity down and it does. Is 3 C.P. going to be the same?
I was told during our walkthrough that there is a "silent fan" in the main washroom going 24hr a day.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgu View Post
I was told during our walkthrough that there is a "silent fan" in the main washroom going 24hr a day.

Its probably better to have it 24/7, not like we only shower at certain times.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 10:51 PM

No sign of 6th amendment
No sign of occupancy permit given and no sign of completion notice
All the walkthrough still has not been completed yet
Prado cafe still not open
Hotel gym and pool still not open
Hotel rooftop still not open

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlfriend View Post
Its probably better to have it 24/7, not like we only shower at certain times.
We can still turn the fan on manually between the set times and it's very quiet and efficient...No steamed up mirrors or shower glass.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokim99 View Post
No sign of 6th amendment
No sign of occupancy permit given and no sign of completion notice
All the walkthrough still has not been completed yet
Prado cafe still not open
Hotel gym and pool still not open
Hotel rooftop still not open
6th amendment received by email today. sent from conveyance@fifthave.ca

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 11:35 PM

Hold onto your pants: sounds like strata fees have doubled.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba_jiade View Post
Hahaha yes I am with Colliers ( not fifth Ave) and they told me that they do have the occupancy permit and 6th amendment will be going out soon.

I should not be too negative all the time I guess!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Hold onto your pants: sounds like strata fees have doubled.
Whatttt how do you know this??

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:39 AM

Prado is opening Monday 7 to 5

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba_jiade View Post

The amendment is hundreds of pages - is this normal? Has anyone noticed anything to be concerned about?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abearbear View Post
The amendment is hundreds of pages - is this normal? Has anyone noticed anything to be concerned about?
Yea the strata fees have doubled per the amendment - around $0.55/sq ft as opposed to $0.28/sq ft as promoted by the sales and developer at the early stages. They mentioned this "low strata fee" as a selling point, and I was led to believe lower strata fee due to not having to pay for the amenities (pool, gym) and only pay for usage a la carte at the hotel. Pretty crazy how they can just double it just like that. What are we paying for with this high strata fee? I believe there's already mention of no resident concierge service anymore ... no amenities, ...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummozebra View Post
Yea the strata fees have doubled per the amendment - around $0.55/sq ft as opposed to $0.28/sq ft as promoted by the sales and developer at the early stages. They mentioned this "low strata fee" as a selling point, and I was led to believe lower strata fee due to not having to pay for the amenities (pool, gym) and only pay for usage a la carte at the hotel. Pretty crazy how they can just double it just like that. What are we paying for with this high strata fee? I believe there's already mention of no resident concierge service anymore ... no amenities, ...

So we’re basically paying double strata fees for the concierge’s permanent vacation? Not Cool

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley