HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:22 PM
HVAC guru

I thought the roads were pretty decent with the brine solution, super slick when the roads appeared dry though. It made the city look a lot less dreadful than it usually does in the spring, I will admit that. One thing I did notice is that this year we have a lot of dead grass right next to the sidewalk where we usually park. We use de-icer sparingly and because of pets and trying to keep the yard nice we use the dog-friendly and grass friendly stuff. This year the grass is in really bad shape, just in the area adjacent to where we park the car

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:31 PM
Change is good

The brine solution worked well when used properly.... but now is killing the grass along the sides of the roads where it was applied... not that a ton of gravel was doing much better for the grass, but at least you could sweep that up, and the grass would continue to grow.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:42 PM

Agreed.

Streets are cleaner this year, and the brine worked well on freezing rain and light snow falls. Made things worse when it was over-applied on dry roads, and did absolutely nothing for heavy snow falls where removal is the only answer.

I hope they keep it in the tool box but realize that it's not the only tool.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 7:22 PM

apparently one of the benefits of the brine is it makes blading easier after a snow fall. The snow is less likely of forming a packed layer. St Albert had quite thick layers of packed ice and snow.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
apparently one of the benefits of the brine is it makes blading easier after a snow fall. The snow is less likely of forming a packed layer. St Albert had quite thick layers of packed ice and snow.
I thought the major benefit was a reduction in accidents and resulting injuries.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I thought the major benefit was a reduction in accidents and resulting injuries.
There are two benefits, who would have thought?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:49 PM
Community Guy

35% less material down
Accidents down 15-20% if I recall correctly
Roadways can be treated within 16hrs versus 24-36 response time for clearing
Savings of 8 million a year or so

*I was given these a couple of months ago now, so testing my memory.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:58 PM

Any photos of this lawn damage?

I wonder if Edmonton's considered beet juice? City of Kelowna does not use it but the owner of the Landmark buildings where I work does. Beet juice has a low freezing point and is not damaging concrete membranes, and landscaping. In prior years, they had constant problems with the concrete membrane and they hope this solves it. I guess cities don't care because they don't really deal with either other than boulevard landscaping.

Only issue I have with beet juice is that it is a nice deep reddish brown that looks really dirty, but it hasn't appeared to have stained anything.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:09 PM

Is there somewhere you can complain to the city about the quality of a strip mall parking lot? Went to the Duggan macs convenience store to get some gum and dear lord the parking lot is worse than Syria. Whatever slum lord developer owns the lot should be fined. Not only unsightly but dangerous and car destroying.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:09 PM

Province to announce the expansion of the SW Henday tomorrow. Maybe they can expand that to add the portion form Campbell rd to 97st.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:47 PM

Should have been three lanes all around to begin with.

Brain cramp by the government

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Should have been three lanes all around to begin with.

Brain cramp by the government

Yeah they sure did the Henday piece meal....IE lanes bridges etc.

Good to hear tho. Cant come soon enough. The merge lanes are tricky.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 11:43 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Is there somewhere you can complain to the city about the quality of a strip mall parking lot? Went to the Duggan macs convenience store to get some gum and dear lord the parking lot is worse than Syria. Whatever slum lord developer owns the lot should be fined. Not only unsightly but dangerous and car destroying.
There's been a lot of frostheave. Just a couple blocks north, there was some serious heave occurring on the north side of Red Robin. They are re-paving that parking lot. Haven't seen anything as bad at Duggan Mall.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:59 AM

Dumb question but what will the 135 street interchange connect to on the north side in the future?

Or will it connect to nothing and just be southwards access?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:34 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
https://www.edmontoninsightcommunity...CHO8y1CaAZwrZo

Please take a moment to fill out this survey on the de icing efforts of last winter

I for one thought it was a success as the city looked 1000X less gross both during the winter and in the spring
I hope the city never uses the brine again.

I like to keep my vehicles spotless. All winter the roads were wet and slushy. Normally once it got below -5 or so, the roads would be nicely frozen and dry, but this wouldn't happen this year until well into the minus 20's. Shit, in previous years during a cold spell you could wash you car in the middle of winter and keep it clean for a few weeks. This year it would be dirty half a km from the car wash.

wet = rust.

It was impossible to keep vehicles clean this year. A bunch of the chrome trim on my truck is all pitted and oxidized. I had a bitch of a time taking my winter tires off as the hub had rusted solidly to the wheel. Chatted with the guy who runs the car wash I go to in winter...he had a bunch of people talking to him about accelerated rust.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:59 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Good news regarding SW Henday but how on earth is it going to take 3 years? Or was that section built prior to how they do it now with pre-grading taking place at initial construction? On the portion of Stoney I drive they opened with 2 lanes and expanded to 3 lanes a couple of years later when traffic increased faster than predicted. They started and finished within the same construction season so a matter of months.

And now that they are doing SW Henday perhaps they can find the money to do the same on SE Stoney where it jams up every day at rush hour. And maybe even find the coin to finish our ring road too.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Good news regarding SW Henday but how on earth is it going to take 3 years? Or was that section built prior to how they do it now with pre-grading taking place at initial construction? On the portion of Stoney I drive they opened with 2 lanes and expanded to 3 lanes a couple of years later when traffic increased faster than predicted. They started and finished within the same construction season so a matter of months.

And now that they are doing SW Henday perhaps they can find the money to do the same on SE Stoney where it jams up every day at rush hour. And maybe even find the coin to finish our ring road too.
Things like the bridge piers were built large enough to easily handle expansion, but the space for extra lanes definitely isn't graded yet. Plus, pouring bridge deck probably adds a fair bit of time as well. This is likely the most complex section to upgrade.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:44 PM

I'm presuming that the city publishes its mid/long-range capital plans for roads and infrastructure. I've had a devil of a time, without success, looking for it on their website.

I'm interested to know if they have it in their heads to refurbish the low level bridge. It's been left to rot for some time now, and is beyond a simple paint brush to clean up.

Anybody in the know out there?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 1:33 AM
Community Guy

^I have not seen it in a capital plan/budget as of yet, but definitely agree it needs to be next. Love the simple structure, but restore it and add some accent lighting.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^I have not seen it in a capital plan/budget as of yet, but definitely agree it needs to be next. Love the simple structure, but restore it and add some accent lighting.
I swear that those in the City wear rust-coloured glasses far too often. Honestly, do they not see what's in front of their noses? It makes the city needlessly ghetto and rust-belty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton