HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:07 PM

Museum of Energy sounds cool. Think of all the donations they would get from
Suncor, Cenovus, Encana etc...

Last edited by *Stardust*; Apr 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Museum of Energy sounds cool. Think of all the donations they would get fr
Syncor, Cenovus, Encana etc...
I think that's a really good idea too .. Very appropriate for this City

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
And to wrap up the geek theme, I'd LOVE a science museum. Heck, if we wanted to make it a bit more ... I dunno, "local"... make a museum of energy. We've got a huge amount of fossil fuel history here, and given that that's been the energy source for the planet going on 2 centuries now... I bet we could create one hell of a place.
This concept would fit well into the idea of a Natural History Museum that someone else mentioned, and that I suggested could be built with minimum impact at the centre of Nosehill Park that one would need to walk to from the park periphery. Combining fuels, burgess shale / dinosaurs, geology, glaciers, and within that type of setting, would be amazing.

Before someone else mentions it, you would not have people driving up to the middle of nosehill, rather, a possibly interpretive trail from lots on both East and West edges of the park. The view from the museum would be breathtaking, and possibly send you back in time with thoughtful architecture and displays.

Don't get me wrong guys, I like markets and being able to buy fresh apples, or maybe go see some old video games, but when it comes to game changing tourist attractions / institutions that people from other regions talk about, the above idea is more in line of what we'd need to think about.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Speaking of tourist attractions, check out the new skywalk along the icefield parkway:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Must%2...ID/2453447270/

I recognize this is not "Calgary" and also that it is a controversial installation, but thought it an interesting item to reflect on when thinking of items that people would actually think about strongly when considering flying to Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
That's a great link! Apart from Pickathon, you can see that the other festivals heavily rely in the big name headliners who are often repeated on a number of the bills. Sled Island is expertly curated and really is a music connoisseurs festival.

I think that a lot of people have visions of Calgary hosting a HUGE festival like Coachella, Ultra Music Fest or Lolapolooza. Kudos to Chasing Summer and X-Fest for raising the bar. I think its a great goal to work towards and our music scene is certainly doing the ground-work. At the moment I really don't think that we have a suitable venue to host anything like those. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Folk Fest our largest music festival? I am not sure if Princess Island has the capacity to host anything larger. Fort Calgary also isn't ideal and I feat that as the EV becomes more developed as will the NIMBYism.

Coachella is honestly one of the BEST organized festivals I have been to. I don't think that we are there yet, nor are our promoters. The way we do food, beverage and toilets seriously needs to be refined.
Can't agree more about Sled Island, it is a real gem unlike many other better know mega-festivals that share the same artists and style. If anyone hasn't checked it out, they really are missing out. There is much for everyone, and even more if you want to get out into some exciting fringes of music.

I can see those that are into the huge festivals aren't as satisfied, Coachella has what 2 weekends of 50 - 100,000+? Bananas banaride:

I think Folk Fest is always up there, usually 10-15,000 per day x 3 or 4 days. A total of 70 - 100 artists all in one place.

Chasing Summer was upwards of 10,000 per day as well during that weekend at Fort Calgary, the same weekend as Afrikeday at Prince's Island for 5 - 10,000 more.

Sled Island is always the hardest to measure. The entire inner city is buzzing that weekend. It features 200+ bands, 40 venues (many stages, bars, Olympic Plaza, EV plaza weird one-off ones etc.) I would guess anywhere from 5,000 - 20,000 Sledders per day? who knows lol

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:44 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
This concept would fit well into the idea of a Natural History Museum that someone else mentioned, and that I suggested could be built with minimum impact at the centre of Nosehill Park that one would need to walk to from the park periphery. Combining fuels, burgess shale / dinosaurs, geology, glaciers, and within that type of setting, would be amazing.

Before someone else mentions it, you would not have people driving up to the middle of nosehill, rather, a possibly interpretive trail from lots on both East and West edges of the park. The view from the museum would be breathtaking, and possibly send you back in time with thoughtful architecture and displays.

Don't get me wrong guys, I like markets and being able to buy fresh apples, or maybe go see some old video games, but when it comes to game changing tourist attractions / institutions that people from other regions talk about, the above idea is more in line of what we'd need to think about.
I've never seen a museum anywhere in the world that does not have road access into it. You'd need at least a service entrance, plus accessibility requirements. Given that Nose Hill is an attempt at a completely natural park (or at least as much as we can make it, given its sordid history), I see no way you could conceivably be serious with this. The construction impact alone would take the park back 20 years.

Otherwise it's a solid idea. Just have to borrow some exhibits from the Drum.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:47 PM

So many good ideas here on this thread. Good job guys

Now...what are the chances of these suggestions ever happening?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Speaking of tourist attractions, check out the new skywalk along the icefield parkway:

I recognize this is not "Calgary" and also that it is a controversial installation, but thought it an interesting item to reflect on when thinking of items that people would actually think about strongly when considering flying to Calgary.
The problem with that attraction, and why it's so controversial, is that it will do virtually nothing to attract people to Jasper. It will certainly make a lot of money for someone, and it will be busy for years - but almost entirely from people who were going to go there in the first place. No one is gonna spend thousands of dollars on a trip to the Rockies just to see a glass walkway.

But it IS exactly the sort of thing we need to explore in Calgary. Gimmicky stuff that puts us on the map. Bring in the tourists. And there's plenty of places to put stuff here, given that Calgary isn't a National Park and very little of the city itself is protected land. So less controversy.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:

Calgary will always be tied in with the mountains - the City should really embrace its proximity to promote it as the option as a day trip for tourists and support it with vibrant street life in the evenings around where the visitors are staying .. More hotels downtown will help this out but those hotels need to be surrounded with amenities that get tourists out and about

City Centre II is a good potential spot with Eau Claire and the market redevelopment, as is the EV Hilton in the future with The Rift ... The Residence Inn on 10th could be a good spot too with the 10th Ave taking off .. ClubSport doesn't have much in the immediate area now asides from the Stampede Grounds, but there are some character buildings in the area and there is potential there

With the Green Line running through downtown, a nice large scale central station between at 2nd St/8th Ave downtown would be a great way to bring tourists to the 'heart' of downtown .. It may not right away, but in the coming decades after it's been built (and if it's done right) it could be a landmark for tourists to go see

Of course the other thing is embracing unique radical architecture that can be appreciated through the years

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I've never seen a museum anywhere in the world that does not have road access into it. You'd need at least a service entrance, plus accessibility requirements. Given that Nose Hill is an attempt at a completely natural park (or at least as much as we can make it, given its sordid history), I see no way you could conceivably be serious with this. The construction impact alone would take the park back 20 years.

Otherwise it's a solid idea. Just have to borrow some exhibits from the Drum.
Good point. Would definitely need a service road (though not one available to the public).

20 years I think is a pinch of an over-statement. The think has fires ever few years, and very shortly thereafter, things are looking great. You wouldn't make the entire park a construction zone anyway, just a path perhaps 20 feet wide to the site from the nearest side.

In the short term, there would be lots of nay sayers, but in the centuries long life of such institutions, it would be a small and completely temporary price to pay for a world-class tourist attraction.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 9:58 PM

It defeats the purpose of a natural park if you put a building up there, no? Lots of animals make use of it. Adding a big building with inevitable cafeteria would lead to animals being fed. Its fairly natural right now, I'd like to see it kept that way.

The only place I'd make an exception would be on the SE corner, terraced up the hillside. I think that would work well, and would provide better views of the city than being out in the middle anyway.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It defeats the purpose of a natural park if you put a building up there, no? Lots of animals make use of it. Adding a big building with inevitable cafeteria would lead to animals being fed. Its fairly natural right now, I'd like to see it kept that way.

The only place I'd make an exception would be on the SE corner, terraced up the hillside. I think that would work well, and would provide better views of the city than being out in the middle anyway.
I think closer toward the SW corner might be best personally .. The view of the City may not be as great but it will offer a nice view of the mountain range

What other natural improvements could be made to that park I wonder? I feel like the relatively flat portion towards the top of the hill could be improved .. I'm pretty opposed to man man lakes/ponds but if it was possible a good sized body of water might be a nice draw for people, though they'd have to walk a good distance to get there

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:10 PM

Apparently Badlands is back too... Have they released a line up yet?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
This takes me back to the mid-nineties, but there was once such a thing in the lower floors of a building on 7th Ave. Not sure where exactly it was or what may have happened to it, but my grandfather took me to it when I was a kid. It was small, but had a neat, light-up panel that showed all the drilling locations in Alberta. There was a small theatre room that had a film, on rotation, to explain to kids where fossil fuels came from.
Wow what a flashback. I vaguely remember an elementary school field trip to that place in the 90s. It would've been one of the first times visiting downtown for me. I wonder if it's still around?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Calgary will always be tied in with the mountains - the City should really embrace its proximity to promote it as the option as a day trip for tourists and support it with vibrant street life in the evenings around where the visitors are staying.
You may have missed the point about soliciting tourist destination "ideas" for "Calgary".

Quote:
That might not be a bad compromise. Stanley Park was my original touchstone. I understand it is not a precise parallel. In some of the most important regions of the world, tourism has actually been leveraged to, in a controlled way, provide access to more people, reinforce the messages of conservation, and enhance economic impact for the local community. These are good lessons for us.

Quote:
It defeats the purpose of a natural park if you put a building up there, no?
Your point is completely valid, but also, when you consider nosehill park is about ten times the size of our CBD, 100K sf from that is not defeating anything.

To put it in perspective, nose hill park + fish creek park are 25sqkm, or 2.5 billion sf

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:14 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
The problem with that attraction, and why it's so controversial, is that it will do virtually nothing to attract people to Jasper. It will certainly make a lot of money for someone, and it will be busy for years - but almost entirely from people who were going to go there in the first place. No one is gonna spend thousands of dollars on a trip to the Rockies just to see a glass walkway.

But it IS exactly the sort of thing we need to explore in Calgary. Gimmicky stuff that puts us on the map. Bring in the tourists. And there's plenty of places to put stuff here, given that Calgary isn't a National Park and very little of the city itself is protected land. So less controversy.
I think we should work on drawing people up the bluff for the view of the city, it's something that alot of cities don't have we should be promoting it. Though likely the people that live there won't want tons of tourists wandering around in front of their property

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
Apparently Badlands is back too... Have they released a line up yet?
Not yet bur I've heard rumblings that Badlands has a very good lineup this year... I still wish it was at Fort Calgary instead of COP though.

With Chasing Summer, Sled Island, Folk Fest, Mad Decent Block Party (at Millenuem Park this year), Stampede Roundup, and Oxford Stomp, downtown Calgary is becoming festival city!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:18 PM

Here's a long but incomplete list of stuff to do around town this summer:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:22 PM

^ I will say you guys scored big with Sled Island. Definitely would love something more comparable up here, but again, that's something that Calgary saw an untapped market for and seized it with something unique to the province. Both cities could do with more of that.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Not yet bur I've heard rumblings that Badlands has a very good lineup this year... I still wish it was at Fort Calgary instead of COP though.

With Chasing Summer, Sled Island, Folk Fest, Mad Decent Block Party (at Millenuem Park this year), Stampede Roundup, and Oxford Stomp, downtown Calgary is becoming festival city!
For accessible indie-rock and outdoor summer festivals, few cities can do better. Calgary's electronic music scene has grown my leaps and bounds in the past couple years - thanks in part to Flames Central, Ten, Habitat, HiFi, and others attracting fantastic international acts almost weekly. While we have a lot of festivals that celebrate diversity, heritage, ethnicity, and culture, I think there is still more to be done to have these events embraced by the whole city. Canada Day, Pride, Afrikadey, Reggaefest, and the (several) latin festivals are a good start, but could be even better with more attendants and better marketing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy