HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 9:29 PM
BANNED

I'm hearing through the grape vine that a fourth Liberal candidate is all but confirmed to be Drew Atkins. I couldn't find too much about him accept this unfortunate situation he got himself into some years back:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...86&postcount=4
Quote:
... a new owner had bought the house and let its condition deteriorate.

In his latest report, Drobina cited an open sewer line in the basement that led to an "accumulation of sewage."

He also noted that the structural integrity of the home may have been compromised as "support posts and beams appeared to be in a state of disrepair."

Other deficiencies included several broken windows and exposed electrical conductors throughout the premises.

And on the day of his inspection, Drobina discovered two people sleeping in the garage.

"One of them didn't even wake up," Drobina recalled. "He slept right through it."

Next-door neighbour Cherie Bourne, 23, hopes the eyesore will be torn down.

"It attracts the type of people you don't want hanging around - people you think are going to break into your car," said the mother of two young children.

The address also recently had a visit from Edmonton police.

Tenants had tampered with the power metre and were stealing electricity, said Const. Chris Hayduk of the EPS housing unit.

EPCOR was forced to shut off the power, Hayduk told the Sun, adding no charges were pursued in the case.

The troubled house, built in 1920 and last assessed by the city at $66,000, was registered to Calgarian Drew Atkins and Calgary company Bland Investments
If he gets the nomination, you'd think this type of thing wouldn't really help the non-cons in the election!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 10:29 PM

Unless he has been greenlit to run in the nomination, and that situation would come up during the process, I would be surprised to see such a late comer. Especially since the lists have closed.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:54 PM

Four candidates for the Liberal nomination to be decided tomorrow.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/n...tml?id=7277510

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Four candidates for the Liberal nomination to be decided tomorrow.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/n...tml?id=7277510
Looks like it is the same Atkins who owned the slum house in Edmonton. If he wins, the cons are going to smear!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Looks like it is the same Atkins who owned the slum house in Edmonton. If he wins, the cons are going to smear!
Let's hope he wins then.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Let's hope he wins then.
Booo! Wonder if it was a conservative who actually infiltrated and got him nominated. Just kidding of course. That type of thing only happens in soap operas and in countries where the mafia operates.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:58 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I'm betting it doesn't matter who the Liberal candidate is, because if anybody defeats Joan "I'm here to support Harper" Crockatt, it'll be a Green or ND candidate. That's my expectation anyway.

I can't wait to see Joan debate Chris Turner. Well, seeing a stick-figure harpy like her being skewered might not be pretty, but I can't wait.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I'm betting it doesn't matter who the Liberal candidate is, because if anybody defeats Joan "I'm here to support Harper" Crockatt, it'll be a Green or ND candidate. That's my expectation anyway.

I can't wait to see Joan debate Chris Turner. Well, seeing a stick-figure harpy like her being skewered might not be pretty, but I can't wait.
You really think the "bury the tar sands" candidates will gain any substantial traction in Calgary Centre. I think the NDP leadership has all but harpooned any possible chance they may have had.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:27 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
You really think the "bury the tar sands" candidates will gain any substantial traction in Calgary Centre. I think the NDP leadership has all but harpooned any possible chance they may have had.
Turner is definitely not "bury the oilsands." I think his exact words during his nomination party were "I am not here to shut down the oilsands."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Turner is definitely not "bury the oilsands." I think his exact words during his nomination party were "I am not here to shut down the oilsands."
So Turner can change Green Party policy and muzzle Ms May???? No way that's going to happen.

Not being a Crockatt apologist but the only difference between the two candidates is that Crockatt at least knows she has zero chance of going against her Dear Leader while Turner still believes in tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:

The only poll done in he riding showed the Liberals in second, they were also second in 2011.

https://forumresearch.com/forms/News...0120815%29.pdf

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 2:37 AM

Quote:

Even with the orange wave, Calgary is not NDP town.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
So Turner can change Green Party policy and muzzle Ms May???? No way that's going to happen.

Not being a Crockatt apologist but the only difference between the two candidates is that Crockatt at least knows she has zero chance of going against her Dear Leader while Turner still believes in tooth fairy and Santa Claus.
I don't claim to be up on Green Party policy, but isn't their global warming policy still a somewhat revenue neutral tax shift, with emissions above Canada's global commitments being offset using the world carbon market (if Canada doesn't meet our targets, the tax cannot be revenue neutral).

Or have they drifted very far under May?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The only poll done in he riding showed the Liberals in second, they were also second in 2011.

https://forumresearch.com/forms/News...0120815%29.pdf
when you read the poll, the Liberals should get a little bump from good performance in the 80k+ income bracket, as they seem more enthusiastic about the by-election. That being said, small sub-sample size and is a robopoll, which over represents engaged people of all sorts (including those angry with the government).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I don't claim to be up on Green Party policy, but isn't their global warming policy still a somewhat revenue neutral tax shift, with emissions above Canada's global commitments being offset using the world carbon market (if Canada doesn't meet our targets, the tax cannot be revenue neutral).

Or have they drifted very far under May?
The greens have drifted very far under May, IMHO.

Here is an excerpt (the entire section, straight from green party platform on their website):
http://www.greenparty.ca/vision-green/p2.1.10

Quote:
Green PartyMPs will:
•Remove all subsidies and supports to the oil, coal, gas and coalbed methane industries in Canada.
•Apply escalating carbon taxes to all CO2, methane, N2O, fugitive, and other GHG emissions.
•Require all members of the fossil fuel industry to participate in the LFE cap and trade system, as above.
•Cancel all funding for Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CSC) which new evidence from the Weyburn, Saskatchewan project reveals has severe negative environmental impacts and also because CO2 the storage of CO2 for this purpose facilitates greater production of oil and gas and redirect the federally earmarked CSC funding to renewable solar, wind, tidal and geothermal energy projects in Canada.
•Not approve new coal-fired electrical generation plants.
•Impose a carbon tax on all exports of coal, oil and gas from Canada.
•Pass legislation to keep Canada’s west coast crude oil tanker-free, ensuring both that a new West Coast oil crude oil port will not be built and that current crude oil tanker traffic in the Port of Vancouver be rapidly phased out.
•Work to establish a Federal Ministry of Energy Transition Plan to co-ordinate the transition from a fossil fuel based economy to one based on renewable energy.
•Support the establishment of a Canada-first National Energy Plan to regain control over Canada's energy supply and to ensure Canada's energy needs are met prior to any export, and assist in the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy.
•Work to establish a Strategic Petroleum and Natural Gas Reserve to address secure domestic petroleum supply in the event of shortages both short term and long-term; a Natural Gas Emergency Preparedness Plan that addresses potential natural gas supply shortages, and an Emergency Preparedness Plan to address other energy supply crises.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 5:07 PM

Wow, that is extreme.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:57 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I considered voting green a number of years ago when their platform seemed to be one of pragmatism with an environmental focus, ie encourage economic growth in sustainable ways, but after May became leader I lost interest.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I considered voting green a number of years ago when their platform seemed to be one of pragmatism with an environmental focus, ie encourage economic growth in sustainable ways, but after May became leader I lost interest.
You're not alone there .... while I have been involved in the Greens for quite some time (and still am) ... begrudgingly ... many people inside the party have significant issues with May and her "visionary" agenda however due to their long term commitment to the party, their inabiilty to find a home somewhere else or just being too lazy, they're sticking around waiting for the day that she either moderates or that there is a new leader ... until then, the Greens stand for shutting down anything not fuzzy and warm and are building a national energy plan around harnessing the energy found in their self-rightousness!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
You're not alone there .... while I have been involved in the Greens for quite some time (and still am) ... begrudgingly ... many people inside the party have significant issues with May and her "visionary" agenda however due to their long term commitment to the party, their inabiilty to find a home somewhere else or just being too lazy, they're sticking around waiting for the day that she either moderates or that there is a new leader ... until then, the Greens stand for shutting down anything not fuzzy and warm and are building a national energy plan around harnessing the energy found in their self-rightousness!
In that case, you're better off going to one of the other parties that have been more flexible over the years, as what you've described is green incarnate. If the greens move from that, they will no longer be the green party!

Last edited by suburbia; Sep 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:00 PM

The Greens in the mid 2000s were decidedly not enviro-whacky.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy