HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SharpeMan View Post
what is so historic about it?
I guess it wasn't historic enough for you when the Flyers became the first NHL team in the United States to defeat the Soviet Central Red Army team during the height of the Cold War, huh. You might want to rethink your username after that one lol! (I'm sorry, I couldn't help it, that was just too priceless)

I guess saving it for the Phantoms made plenty of sense to me?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 2:05 AM

Well, there's definitely no reason to demolish the Spectrum with all the parking lots that are right there. If space was running low down there, I wouldn't have much of a problem with the Spectrum going, but that's certainly not the case.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
Just call me "Sharpie"

hmmmmmm......

No need to apalogize for your witt, I like it! Good point on the Russians vs Flyers, but in my opinion it does not make it the Parthenon and saved forever even if it becomes completely obsolete.
Most of my tirade in the previous comment was directed toward the vet! The Spectrum, just does not seem like it would be as useful as the Philly LIve complex when it comes to $$$$. The phantoms can play in the Center. We will never get a WNBA team, the Arena league is gone, so besides a few comcerts, I do not see how the spectrum could compete with the revenue from Philly Live.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 3:52 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
No need to apalogize for your witt, I like it! Good point on the Russians vs Flyers, but in my opinion it does not make it the Parthenon and saved forever even if it becomes completely obsolete.
Most of my tirade in the previous comment was directed toward the vet! The Spectrum, just does not seem like it would be as useful as the Philly LIve complex when it comes to $$$$. The phantoms can play in the Center. We will never get a WNBA team, the Arena league is gone, so besides a few comcerts, I do not see how the spectrum could compete with the revenue from Philly Live.
Huh? I thought we won like last year's Arena Bowl...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 5:36 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
We will never get a WNBA team
Sure we could. Their home court could be at a high school and have plenty of room for the 312 fans they'd have.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 6:18 PM
America's Hometown

For me, the biggest mistake of this whole project was not replacing the Spectrum with a smaller arena like they have up in Trenton and Reading. Having two indoor arenas really worked well for this city in attracting many things. The Phantoms would have done well in a 6-7,000 seat arena. Now the Wachovia Center is going to have more pressure to host everything. Not every arena concert should be in a 20,000 seat venue.

They could have had a concert in one arena and a Flyers/Sixers game going on in the Center and having thousands of people milling around the complex.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 6:30 PM
Resident Jackass

Could one fit a small arena in the disney hole?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 7:58 PM
Just call me "Sharpie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Huh? I thought we won like last year's Arena Bowl...
We won the Arena Bowl in 08 and the 09 season was cancelled shortly followed by the termination of the league.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
Could one fit a small arena in the disney hole?

It would have to be extremely small, not even Trenton's arena could fit there.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Good point on the Russians vs Flyers, but in my opinion it does not make it the Parthenon and saved forever even if it becomes completely obsolete.
Hey I completely agree with you about that. In terms of a sports facility now, it's definitely dated. I just don't understand why they didn't build this Philly Live somewhere else in the exorbitantly large parking lots of each facility.

And the Arena league is dead, hammer. They dismantled it for financial reasons this year.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:33 PM

The VET was historic... It was known for its rough working class attitude. It even had its own jail and judge. Most people admit that Linc. Fin. took a lot of energy out of the environment (not that I believe a new stadium wasn't needed). Was it in bad shape? Of course, but thats not why you save the vet. If that were the case you might as well start demolishing Wrigley right now.

You save it because of all of its history, both in baseball and football. You probably would have needed to gut most of the rooms, clean them up, and then establish offices, condos, lofts, hotels, restaurants, banquet halls, and convention space with the field serving as a park in the middle.

And one of the other reasons why the spectrum is historic is bc it was the site of Duke-UK 92. I believe the NCAA has awarded Philly a spot as host in the 2013 tournament bc they are selecting cities with ncaa history in them.

The arena football league in its current form is dead, but I believe it will return in some way shape or form, especially since A2 is still going.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
North Philadelphia doesn't necessarily have that kind of urgency. The need for preventing mass teardowns (to build strip malls) and the desecration of urban neighborhoods with suburban-styled houses faced with vinyl siding, is real, but North Philadelphia does not require the re-mapping of an entire area and rethinking of massive parking mandates.
Preach on bro!!! Looking at those houses makes me want to tear my eyes apart!!! They just don't look right in NP. Also, you should look at the hack job along Erie Ave west of Broad.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:11 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
The VET was historic... It was known for its rough working class attitude.
The Vet was a dump. There was nothing historic about it. It wasn't a great design at all.

The concession stands were nasty looking...the concourses were dim...and the place was just filthy dirty from years of neglect and deferred maintainence. There weren't enough rest rooms and the ones they had were disgusting...especially with guys pissing in the sinks because the lines for the urinals were too long.

I don't miss it at all. Citizens Bank Park is far better for a baseball game and it's nice having an open feeling at the stadium instead of the closed in feeling at the Vet.

Also, Philly Live! should have a building for the Philadelphia Sports Hall Of Fame. That would get plenty of visitors..especially on game days.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
The VET was historic... It was known for its rough working class attitude. It even had its own jail and judge. Most people admit that Linc. Fin. took a lot of energy out of the environment (not that I believe a new stadium wasn't needed). Was it in bad shape? Of course, but thats not why you save the vet. If that were the case you might as well start demolishing Wrigley right now.
Comparing the Vet and Wrigley, even if for effect, really undermines any argument you man have had my man. The Vet was a dump. Make the case for the Spectrum, but the Vet is only really good for nostalgia.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 4:50 AM
Just call me "Sharpie"

Dump????

I don't even understand the opposite point if view! Calling it a dump is being kind! Towards the end, it was a complete embarrassment. We lost the army navy game, had law suits against the city for bad knees. I remember the Steelers actually making them rip up a section of turf to fill the "potholes" under it before a game.
But to stay on topic, Philly Live could be great for the city. Look at the volume of business at Chickie and Petes or McFaddens. You can barely walk threw them so the opportunity and money is there at the stadiums. So why would anyone consider building it somewhere else?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
more updates updates updates including views from the City Hall Tower

I just saw how Chicago's City Hall roof was converted to green roof. They installed a layer of soil and plants on the existing roof. The plants and soil absorb rain water and reduce runoff, provide insulation, reduce energy usage and actually help to reduce the heat-island over the city.

It's a shame this convention center is, well, so conventional.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 11:42 AM
Register This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I just saw how Chicago's City Hall roof was converted to green roof. They installed a layer of soil and plants on the existing roof. The plants and soil absorb rain water and reduce runoff, provide insulation, reduce energy usage and actually help to reduce the heat-island over the city.

It's a shame this convention center is, well, so conventional.
Well, at least it's reflective.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 2:39 PM

Quote:
So anyway over the last coupla days me and a (female) friend (from Chinatown) who shares the same major as me have gotten to talking a lot about the Reading Viaduct...It's a crying shame that there's so little community support--or even community awareness--about the idea of turning it into a trail. So what do two Temple GUS majors do?
Is your friend Chinese, or at least not one of the condo-owners? I would suggest not using the term "gentrification" (of the area around the viaduct) when talking about this, because for a lot of us, it is a dirty word. Gentrification is not a pretty word to everyone; particularly those who would most likely be forced out of their homes by rising property values.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 5:42 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyVegan View Post
Is your friend Chinese, or at least not one of the condo-owners? I would suggest not using the term "gentrification" (of the area around the viaduct) when talking about this, because for a lot of us, it is a dirty word. Gentrification is not a pretty word to everyone; particularly those who would most likely be forced out of their homes by rising property values.
1) Why do you care?

2) Gentrification is a dirty word only among the ignorant. It describes a process, nothing more, nothing less, and a process that is riddled with its own issues, to boot. Yes, in its more extreme manifestations, it can be problematic, but at the same time any type of neighborhood self-improvement whatsoever can be described as such. Worse, from the point of view of those of us who are or aspire to be professionals in this field, it is impossible to have any term for 'neighborhood self-improvement' without its more extreme manifestations giving it a bad rap.

Fallaciously confusing a term's technical meaning with its colloquial one is not something that'll make me get along with you...see minor for why.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
1) Why do you care?

2) Gentrification is a dirty word only among the ignorant. It describes a process, nothing more, nothing less, and a process that is riddled with its own issues, to boot. Yes, in its more extreme manifestations, it can be problematic, but at the same time any type of neighborhood self-improvement whatsoever can be described as such. Worse, from the point of view of those of us who are or aspire to be professionals in this field, it is impossible to have any term for 'neighborhood self-improvement' without its more extreme manifestations giving it a bad rap.

Fallaciously confusing a term's technical meaning with its colloquial one is not something that'll make me get along with you...see minor for why.
I think you're mistaken about the term "gentrification". It is derived from the word "gentry", which refers to wealthy people who inherited their wealth from old family fortunes. Gentrification refers to the replacement of existing residents by this class of people, whose wealth increases property values so much that only wealthy people can live in these gentrified neighborhoods. Working class people and poor people are permanently shut out of gentrified neighborhoods, and many people dislike that scenario.

Revitalization is the term that you are probably thinking of. Revitalization implies more activity in a neighborhood. It is used to refer to physical improvements, mainly, that lead to increased economic activity and attracts new residents, tourists, and businesses to a neighborhood . It does not refer to the economic class of residents, so it is the less controversial term.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development