HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 4:29 PM

All things in good time

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Perhaps we should be implementing more mass-transit lines before we go widening our free-ways and building new roads and bridges.
Urbanboy: Love your ideas, but we gotta put the fire out before we can start rebuilding. That I-15 stretch in Utah Co. is one of the most dangerous stretches of freeway in the country. It's not just the congestion, which is bad enough, but the lane constrictions, especially around Provo-Orem, are perpetually getting people killed.

Now don't get me wrong. I would be happy if we just declared Utah County a National Home for the Terminally Provincial, walled it up, locked the doors, and threw away all the keys (In my dreams!). But that ain't going to happen, so we might as well fix the freeway and save some lives.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 6:55 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Which is why I'm voting for Coroon for governor. The only guy in this whole mess with isn't a sell-out.
I just want Huntsman back

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 7:01 PM
Exit 298

That'd work too. I liked Mr. Huntsman. Good governor (except for his wife and the soccer thing).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 7:48 PM
BANNED

UTA to study transit options for Daybreak and Draper

By Laura Hancock
Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Transit Authority board of trustees on Wednesday approved the hiring of engineers to study ways to connect people between Daybreak and Draper.

UTA and the Wasatch Front Regional Council will lead the $200,000 Southwest Salt Lake County Transit Feasibility Study, which will examine whether buses, bus rapid transit, light rail or streetcars are needed to connect two future stops: the Daybreak South Station, which will be along the Mid-Jordan TRAX line, and the 12800 South FrontRunner South station...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...nd-Draper.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 8:41 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:

That'd work too. I liked Mr. Huntsman. Good governor (except for his wife and the soccer thing).

What soccer thing? I'm glad they fought to keep soccer here. And now we have a championship to show for it.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 11:28 PM
Exit 298

Well, all I can say is Dave Checketts made a lot of cash thanks to the taxpayers of Utah.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
Urbanboy: Love your ideas, but we gotta put the fire out before we can start rebuilding. That I-15 stretch in Utah Co. is one of the most dangerous stretches of freeway in the country. It's not just the congestion, which is bad enough, but the lane constrictions, especially around Provo-Orem, are perpetually getting people killed.

Now don't get me wrong. I would be happy if we just declared Utah County a National Home for the Terminally Provincial, walled it up, locked the doors, and threw away all the keys (In my dreams!). But that ain't going to happen, so we might as well fix the freeway and save some lives.
I definitely wouldn't want to shut down the Silicon Valley of Utah. There's so many major companies, many modern and tech related, that have started in that area, and continue to thrive there (Novell, WordPerfect, Omniture (now Adobe), etc. ) It's a great place for business and the economy of Utah. Plus it's the most dense of the areas...at least potentially as it's still filling out. Salt Lake County is the sprawl mecca of Utah. Utah County has that huge lake in the middle reinforcing density. As some have mentioned, Utah County is almost like the O.C of Utah, with Salt Lake being the L.A.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 4:36 AM

The most dense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I definitely wouldn't want to shut down the Silicon Valley of Utah. There's so many major companies, many modern and tech related, that have started in that area, and continue to thrive there (Novell, WordPerfect, Omniture (now Adobe), etc. ) It's a great place for business and the economy of Utah. Plus it's the most dense of the areas...at least potentially as it's still filling out. Salt Lake County is the sprawl mecca of Utah. Utah County has that huge lake in the middle reinforcing density. As some have mentioned, Utah County is almost like the O.C of Utah, with Salt Lake being the L.A.
TonyAnderson:

Can't let your comments slip by...Outside of CA, Orem is the prototype of sprawl. So the sprawl argument doesn't cut it. Also, SLC has had its own OC for a long time, Olympus Cove. But there is one thing you wrote that I agree with--Utah County is definitely the most dense of any Utah population.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 4:45 AM

message deleted and forwarded on as a PM!

Last edited by delts145; Feb 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:07 AM

Olympus Cove an "O.C."? I've never heard that one before. Why do you say that? There aren't even very many businesses there.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
TonyAnderson:

Can't let your comments slip by...Outside of CA, Orem is the prototype of sprawl. So the sprawl argument doesn't cut it. Also, SLC has had its own OC for a long time, Olympus Cove. But there is one thing you wrote that I agree with--Utah County is definitely the most dense of any Utah population.
Orem is sprawl, I never said it wasn't. I said SL County was the mecca of it in Utah (since you seemed to be blasting Utah County). There are many worst places in Salt Lake County, such as West Valley, West Jordan (really the whole west side), and Sandy to name a few. And coming to a theater near you, Draper and South Jordan. Because of the lake on one side, and mountain on the other, even Orem is forced to be denser, and especially now that it's filled out.

I think Utah County has a lot going for it, especially for the future.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Olympus Cove an "O.C."? I've never heard that one before. Why do you say that? There aren't even very many businesses there.
I think he meant it as an acronym; Olympus Cove = OC

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:05 PM

Ah, my bad.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:16 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

I think Utah County could become one of the world's most beautiful metros if they got their act together. Imagine glistening skyscrapers lining the banks of Utah Lake with snow-capped Mount Timpanogos as the backdrop. Not even Vancouver could pass that.

If only the local population wasn't so dense, as RFPCME so brazenly pointed out... *hehe*

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:31 PM
Exit 298

Unfortunately, you have to actually share that vision with 2 million other people, and these 2 million others each have 2 million different views of what they'd like to see.

Not to mention water-table issues that prevent high-rises from being near Utah Lake.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 1:06 AM

Really though, any high rise in the Utah Valley area would have a pretty decent view of the lake. That'll come with more population and time.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 7:18 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Well, all I can say is Dave Checketts made a lot of cash thanks to the taxpayers of Utah.

You mean thanks to the taxpayers of the Hotel Tax. That's where the tax came from.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 10:38 PM

New LRT Vehicles:

The new trains are expected to arrive by the end of the month and they will be tested along the Daybreak portion of the track, which is completed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 11:26 PM

Those new light rail trains look really nice. It is unfortunate that they will only be running on new portions of the track. Does anyone know if there are plans in the future to change the layout of the TRAX stations (ie wheelchair ramps) so that they will eventually run on the older portions in the future?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 11:46 PM

I'm pretty sure they are going to be used on existing track. I don't see how UTA could possible order that many of them just for the new lines. They're low-floor cars, so the wheelchair ramps will no longer be necessary.

Where did you get those, arkhitektor?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West