HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
As commented before, the KE rumor seems plausible, but a ton would have to go right to see it happen this year. There is no operational reason to start a sub-daily passenger route with a 747 though, not when you have access to twin-engine long-hauls with smaller cabins to fill and yields to establish on a new route.
Goldenboot mentioned cargo, though, and I think that may play into it.

I can't remember who here posted the below article, but it mentioned good reasons for a flight to Asia, although the city being targeted was Toyko, not Seoul.

New Austin-London Nonstop Paves the Way for More International Flights
November 25, 2014

Quote:
Now city leaders have their sights on landing more international flights, with an Austin-Tokyo route high on the priority list.

[SNIP]

International routes help particularly if they connect a city to other business or industrial centers. However, Donovan said routes that target tourist destinations would probably have a smaller impact, because there is little to attract businesses, manufacturing or cargo traffic.

Airport officials would not comment on their plans. But in 2013, the airport created an incentives plan for new international routes – specifying that only London and Tokyo routes would qualify. The plan includes waiving landing fees for two years and providing up to $400,000 in marketing and advertising support over two years, contingent on City Council approval, according to a document on the airport website.

Tokyo is the third-largest airport system in the world, with two international airports, and a gateway to the rest of Asia, where many Austin tech companies have operations or suppliers. The list includes Dell Inc., Freescale Semiconductor and Cirrus Logic. Japanese companies including Tokyo Electron have plants or offices in Austin. South Korea-based Samsung has a $13 billion chip manufacturing complex in Austin.
If Korean Air does start the rumored flights, I can't imagine that the City wouldn't give then the same incentives they would have given another carrier if Tokyo service were to begin.

I happened to go over to the City's website and looked at the Austin Airport Advisory Commission's page for the March 10, 2015 meeting. It appeared to actually be the minutes from The February 10th meeting, but it was one of the few times I noticed that the Commission went into Executive Session. That normally doesn't happen at these meetings, or if it does I haven't noticed it.

Quote:
Commission Chair Dale Murphy recessed the Commission Meeting to go into Executive Session at 5:17 pm.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

The Austin Airport Advisory Commission went into Executive Session pursuant to Chapter 551 of the Texas Government Code, to discuss or deliberate regarding commercial or financial information that the City has received from business prospects that the governmental body seeks to have locate, stay, or expand in the City and with which the City is conducting economic development negotiations.

Executive Session ended and Commission Chair Dale Murphy called the Commission Meeting back to order at 5:54 pm.
It seems like the above might have something to do with the rumored KE flights, but I don't know for sure.

Does anyone remember this old thread from way back in December of 2006?

Austin leaders to visit South Korea

Quote:
Mayor Will Wynn will lead a delegation to South Korea next week to thank Samsung Corp. for building its second chip factory in Austin and cultivate a relationship that city leaders hope might lead to more investment.

"The Samsung project was the single largest investment project in this country in 2006," said Dave Porter, senior vice president of the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce. "It just makes sense for us to go over and do the proper thing, which is to thank them. . . . and set the stage for the next opportunity."
If these flights come to fruition, it was literally years in the making.

The rumored KE flights might also be one of the reasons the City is looking to re-open the South Terminal. We only have Gates 2 & 3 available for international flights and Frontier also uses Gate 3. If the South Terminal re-opens, Frontier is one of the airlines that would be moving.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:40 PM

Someone over at airliners.net posted a thread which ranks US airports in the lower 48 with supporting links to every airport's traffic statistics.

2014 Top 50 Airports In The Lower 48 States

With 10,718,854 passengers, AUS ranked 33rd busiest airport.

This places us behind #32 Nashville, which had 11,041,165 total passengers, and ahead of #34 Oakland, which had 10,336,788 total passengers.

Also, our growth rate was 7.00%. There were only 3 airports on the list that had a faster growth rate than us.

38. Dallas Love Field - 9,413,636 passengers - up 11.13%
13. Seattle - 37,497,941 passengers - up 7.83%
31. Houston Hobby - 11,945,825 passengers - up 7.53%

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm sure ABIA is running on full cylinders right now and will be doing so through SXSW. I saw this interesting article lastnight.

http://adage.com/article/special-rep...e-sxsw/297539/

Quote:
Everyone on Delta Air Lines' 11:30 a.m. flight from Los Angeles to the South by Southwest festival on Friday will get expedited security processing, complimentary cocktails and a chance to win first-class tickets to London and New York.
Good luck booking a seat. This is an invitation-only junket to Austin, part of Delta's bid to grab more of the entertainment industry's travel business, which the carrier estimates is worth $1 billion a year.

Delta, the world's third-largest airline, runs what it calls its "festival shuttle" with help from United Talent Agency, whose clients include actors Angelina Jolie and Benedict Cumberbatch. The flight to the South by Southwest music, technology and film festival is intended to show Hollywood there's a worthy alternative to American Airlines, the world's No. 1 carrier, and No. 2 United Airlines.
It just goes to show that all eyes are on Austin during SXSW, even airline companies.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
That's the latest I've heard. It was going to be a 772 but BA could not free one up so they're going with the 74 instead. Who knows if it will happen but that's what I heard about 2 weeks ago.
Regarding BA, one of my sources on another board posted

Quote:
I should add what I hear from my BA source regarding BA's fleet plans for AUS:

-At one point, a 747 was loaded into the internal plans for Winter 2015 (October). Then it was changed to a 777.

-The first 787-9 is expected to be delivered in September. There is some discussion whether to bring the aircraft directly into service or use it as a spare until the Winter schedule (approximately 4-6 weeks later). Apparently bringing it directly into service is the favored option. AUS is allegedly on the short list, though oddly enough, if that came to pass, it would only be for the remainder of the Summer schedule. At that point, the plan is to switch to a 777.
BTW, just to make sure, I went back and double-checked all the approved minutes for every Airport Advisory Commission meeting held since December 2009 up to the present. The February 10, 2015 meeting was the only one where they went into Executive Session. I'm wondering if it was something as simple as approving to add Seoul to the list of long-haul international destinations that qualify for incentives.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 3:33 AM

BA to upgauge to 787-9 starting OCT.25, 2015. This will be confirmed once the Fall/Winter schedule is released later this summer. I have received many AC changes that have not materialized to date.

Last edited by Austin1967; Mar 16, 2015 at 3:37 AM. Reason: to include BA

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm sure ABIA is running on full cylinders right now and will be doing so through SXSW. I saw this interesting article lastnight.

http://adage.com/article/special-rep...e-sxsw/297539/

It just goes to show that all eyes are on Austin during SXSW, even airline companies.
This could be a sign that SkyTeam is looking to increase their presence in the Austin market with the recent successes of OneWorld airlines. I personally would not object to say... Korean Air, Aeroméxico, or (and I know these are a long-shot) Air France/KLM or ANA starting up routes.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:16 PM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is the second busiest domestic destination from Austin. Delta already has a pretty decent offering from Austin: ATL, LAX, SLC, MSP, DTW and JFK. If KE and AM enter the market Delta may ramp up service. They certainly have the network and money available if they choose to do so.
That's fair, yeah they are #4 in terms of passengers. I would like to see them change over a few routes from Delta Connection to mainline Delta routes. I feel like that would be a logical step.

I hope that's what they do because the Delta Connection fleet is astonishingly unreliable in my experience.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:55 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1967 View Post
...I have received many AC changes that have not materialized to date.
Just curious...is it safe to assume that you work for ABIA or an ABIA contractor?

If you do, have you heard anything regarding new international routes on which the port is currently working?

Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is the second busiest domestic destination from Austin.
I'm sorry to ask what is probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

When you go to transtats.bts.gov, I see that little "Top 10 Destinations" table for Austin that shows DFW # 1, ATL #2, etc. But what does that really mean?

It can't possibly be the second most popular O&D destination from AUS, because more O&D passengers fly between AUS and New York, AUS & Denver, AUS & Chicago, AUS & Dallas Fort Worth, etc. than AUS & Atlanta.

Does it mean that ATL is the second most popular hub that people from Austin use to connect to go to somewhere else? That's what I'm thinking, but I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 9:08 PM

South Terminal

H

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:43 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Heard today that the South terminal will not be re-opening. If anything else developes I'll let you know. Also had a visit from an AA 788 around 1130 this morning.....Nice looking bird.
So how will they handle the continuing growth when the main terminal is nearing capacity before the expansion is complete? I would assume that whatever the announcement in April ends up being, there is only limited amount of room left for new carriers to operate.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So how will they handle the continuing growth when the main terminal is nearing capacity before the expansion is complete? I would assume that whatever the announcement in April ends up being, there is only limited amount of room left for new carriers to operate.
They could use SAT and bus the passengers to and from ABIA.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
They could use SAT and bus the passengers to and from ABIA.
LOL! Stop Genral - you're killing me. I can't breathe lol.

I had asked upthread if the South Terminal had reopened whether or not it would be managed by the City/ABIA or if it would be managed by GECAS.

If you all remember, when they originally opened the South Terminal, Southwest threw a hissy fit because those airlines were going to have lower costs than the carriers in the main terminal.

A letter was sent to airport officials from a vice-president of Southwest which said that a new low-cost terminal would provide other airlines with a "substantial cost advantage," while Southwest wass bound by their lease agreement to use the more expensive facilities in the main terminal. The letter went on to note that Southwest's lease agreement with AUS stipulates they (WN) should pay the same terminal fees as all other airlines.

In the city's response to Southwest, the city's aviation director said that things were completely different for Southwest because they fly from a different terminal. The city also claimed they could charge lower terminal fees for carriers using the low-cost terminal because the city would not be providing baggage claim services, jetways and other amenities that they currently provide airlines using the main terminal.

I think one of the loopholes the City crawled through was that they (the City) weren't setting the lease rates at the South Terminal - GECAS was.
If the City were planning on setting the lease rates and running the operations this time around (instead of GECAS) I'm wondering it won't be reopening because Southwest threw another fit.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Just curious...is it safe to assume that you work for ABIA or an ABIA contractor?

If you do, have you heard anything regarding new international routes on which the port is currently working?

Thanks!
I do and no news other than what I read from this board !

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 9:08 PM

Austin Airport Rumors

Hey guys I am new to this thread and had a few questions for fellow Austin Airport spotters/ enthusiasts.
Is Lufthansa or Korean Air going to announce flights soon?
Is BA planning to build a lounge at the airport?
Is the south terminal coming back?
Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS View Post
Hey guys I am new to this thread and had a few questions for fellow Austin Airport spotters/ enthusiasts.
Is Lufthansa or Korean Air going to announce flights soon?
Is BA planning to build a lounge at the airport?
Is the south terminal coming back?
Thanks!
Welcome!

As for any new international long-haul routes, I wouldn't expect anything big until at least next year. I'm not sure if another transatlantic route would help very much, or increase competition with BA who has the transatlantic monopoly to Europe at the moment.

Not sure about Korean Air. The city is pushing for a Tokyo route. I'm wondering whether ANA or JAL would do the job. If JAL does it, One World basically has all (two) the long-haul routes at ABIA. If ANA were to fly the hypothetical route, you've got OW going East and Star Alliance going West.

I believe BA frequent flyers and elite members (whatever you call them) have access to AA's lounge.

I believe someone said it wasn't coming back after all. I was looking at a concourse map, and it came to my attention that the only unleased gate is gate 17 (unless AA is actually operating that gate too). I suppose any new airlines could use that gate or just share it with someone if they aren't operating too many flights into Austin daily.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:07 PM

[

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 9:08 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Have heard several different plans. It's coming back, it's not and so on. Allegiant has expressed interest in purchasing the building and moving their op's over there. Was going to cost the port approx. 3 million to get it up and running so they decided it was cost prohibitive.
That would be interesting if Allegiant buys the building, if they did that would open the possibility of several more routes.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:52 PM

[

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin