HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:36 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
True. But the CFL can look at historical trends in the NHL and make pretty good predictions to de conflict with NHL games.
I don't think there is all that much of a set pattern... Plus, you can't really predict how many games a series ends up having.

Also... The spring/summer months can be worse for attendance than Oct/Nov... Generally it's the low point for viewership too as people are outside/at the lake/vacationing more while the weather is good. I just don't really think there would be much improvement at all in moving it up that much. A week might be alright... But a month or so starts to have more drawbacks than bonuses. Also, the lowest tickets-used attendance for Sask in a long time happened this last spring... Massive spring/summer storms (happening more often lately) are far worse for attendance and viewership than cold.

It just seems like it could be the "Saturday playoffs are better" argument all over again. People said it was better not to compete with the NFL on Sunday, so they moved the playoffs to Saturday and had the worst numbers in years... The next year they were back to Sunday and back to their normal levels.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm not sure why the draft would be a stumbling block. The CFL draft is for Canadian university players and Canadians playing in the NCAA. There's not much overlap with the NFL draft which happens after the CFL season has started anyway. Moving it up should --I'm not saying it is -- be a relatively easy task.
The issue is Canadian Teams do not want to draft guys that get drafted and signed in the NFL. That is why the CFL draft happens after the NFL Draft.

Overall I understand why people do not want to sit in the stands in -20 weather, but historically most CFL teams attendance goes up after Sept 1.
You don't see people in Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh, New England etc. asking to change the NFL season and the cold does not reduce attendance there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:32 PM

^ Even 2 or 3 weeks would make a huge difference IMO. The weather on the prairies typically changes dramatically over the course of the month of November.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

Hoping for a full season with Durant healthy. That's critical for the success of my team. Calgary and Edmonton will be the top two teams in the west again IMO.

Winnipeg will be improved as well.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 6:04 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
The issue is Canadian Teams do not want to draft guys that get drafted and signed in the NFL. That is why the CFL draft happens after the NFL Draft.

Overall I understand why people do not want to sit in the stands in -20 weather, but historically most CFL teams attendance goes up after Sept 1.
You don't see people in Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh, New England etc. asking to change the NFL season and the cold does not reduce attendance there.
Sorry, I had misinformation on this year's NFL draft which is happening the end of April.

2014 CFL Draft: May 13
2014 NFL Draft: May 8-10

Given that I'd say training camp would be at least two weeks out or May 27th. Two weeks of camp, two weeks of pre-season and it's already the end of June. Tough timing for sure.

The difference in average temperatures between Regina and colder US areas is not insignificant.

Average November temperatures:
Regina 0.1C/-10.5C
Green Bay 5.7C/-2.8C
Foxboro: 11C/1C
Chicago: 9.2C/1.4C
Pittsburgh: 10.7C/1.5C

Riders attendance tends to lag the last two games of the season. It's good through most of September and October, but those last two games near the end of October and the beginning of November are usually down in attendance. Then again, the CFL continues to schedule November Rider games at 7:00PM. I know they are pandering to the Eastern audience and trying to get close to Prime Time, but show us the numbers of who in the East is watching that game between a meaningless with respect to the playoffs game between Saskatchewan and Edmonton. At least play in the daylight when the chance of the sun warming you a bit is there. I'd go to a game in the warm sun in mid-fall, but not after sundown. That's just painful when the wind is out.

Part of the attendance issue could also be lack of interest in some meaningless games. I'm not sure what to make of the 15,000 fans in Montreal for the East Semifinal and the only 26,000 in Edmonton for the west Semifinal. Both of those numbers were lousy. Really lousy.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 6:09 PM

Division semifinal games in the CFL are usually among the lowest attended of the year.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Riders attendance tends to lag the last two games of the season. It's good through most of September and October, but those last two games near the end of October and the beginning of November are usually down in attendance.
I miss the days when Bomber home games after Labour Day were generally on Sunday afternoons. I mean, I get the NFL and all but sitting outside on a Friday night in late October/early November really sucks.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:28 PM
Editor

I've long been a proponent of the season ending earlier in the year. Even two weeks earlier would make such a difference. November is right in the time of year when the weather starts to take a drastic change and becomes 'uncomfortable' football weather. October can be chilly, but nothing like November.

Quote:
Sorry, I had misinformation on this year's NFL draft which is happening the end of April.

2014 CFL Draft: May 13
2014 NFL Draft: May 8-10

Given that I'd say training camp would be at least two weeks out or May 27th. Two weeks of camp, two weeks of pre-season and it's already the end of June. Tough timing for sure.

The difference in average temperatures between Regina and colder US areas is not insignificant.

Average November temperatures:
Regina 0.1C/-10.5C
Green Bay 5.7C/-2.8C
Foxboro: 11C/1C
Chicago: 9.2C/1.4C
Pittsburgh: 10.7C/1.5C

Riders attendance tends to lag the last two games of the season. It's good through most of September and October, but those last two games near the end of October and the beginning of November are usually down in attendance. Then again, the CFL continues to schedule November Rider games at 7:00PM. I know they are pandering to the Eastern audience and trying to get close to Prime Time, but show us the numbers of who in the East is watching that game between a meaningless with respect to the playoffs game between Saskatchewan and Edmonton. At least play in the daylight when the chance of the sun warming you a bit is there. I'd go to a game in the warm sun in mid-fall, but not after sundown. That's just painful when the wind is out.

Part of the attendance issue could also be lack of interest in some meaningless games. I'm not sure what to make of the 15,000 fans in Montreal for the East Semifinal and the only 26,000 in Edmonton for the west Semifinal. Both of those numbers were lousy. Really lousy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Division semifinal games in the CFL are usually among the lowest attended of the year.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:31 PM

The CFL regular season could have been bumped up one week this past year without competing against the SC. If they bumped it up 2 weeks there would likely be an overlap for one regular season game. I would think that TSN as a business should consider putting the CFL up against the Stanley Cup as it is their best chance at stealing some viewers from Rogers or CBC, whoever gets to air the finals. Plus I would say that at most only half of the week one games would directly coincide with the hockey games anyway.

A tenth team would balance the schedule so that only 1 bye week would be required for the teams allowing for a 19 week schedule. Another reason to hope for a tenth team sooner than later!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:35 PM
Editor

Agree 100% The weather in May is 100 times better than it is in November. IMO, it's totally stupid to have the season start in June and end in late November

A couple of years ago I listened to some sports radio people debate this, and some of them were saying stuff like "it's a Canadian tradition to play football in the cold", or "We're Canadians, we're tough, we can take it" ......yeah right I tried phoning in, so as to remind those idiots that they are sitting in warm press box, not freezing their asses off like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Even 2 or 3 weeks would make a huge difference IMO. The weather on the prairies typically changes dramatically over the course of the month of November.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Yeah, that is certainly a steep price to pay for some GC tickets and I'm sure if a Heritage Classic is scheduled next season, it could be a similar price point for that too. It would sure be nice if leagues (and hockey federations) could give the consumer a break (ideally without scalpers taking advantage), but some how I just don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

One can only hope that last year's non-sellout in Vancouver will serve as a cautionary tale for future Grey Cup organizers. One of the things that always made the CFL popular is its accessibility to the middle income earners through its reasonable ticket pricing. Except, of course, for the Grey Cup. Considering that they expect so many attendees to travel from other cities, keeping the ticket price within reach (especially when airfare, hotel, and food & BEVERAGES are considered) would be a way to increase the probability of a sellout.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:48 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Agree 100% The weather in May is 100 times better than it is in November. IMO, it's totally stupid to have the season start in June and end in late November
The reason for that is the solar envelop. In mid-November the sun is low enough on the horizon to lack any real heating effect, come the end of November and the sun barely feels warm on one's face. By mid February the sun starts to get that warmth back and by the end of May we are seeing temperatures in Regina around . That's when I start enjoying being outside again.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 11:50 PM

Tim Horton's Field

Here are some more recent pics from Hamilton, courtesy of Hammer from the TiCats forum

Looks almost done

http://s402.photobucket.com/user/Cit...m%20Dec%2028th

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 4:37 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Here are some more recent pics from Hamilton, courtesy of Hammer from the TiCats forum

Looks almost done

http://s402.photobucket.com/user/Cit...m%20Dec%2028th
Looks great. After this one and the one in Regina is done, Calgary will be the only place left with a shit hole for a stadium.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Looks great. After this one and the one in Regina is done, Calgary will be the only place left with a shit hole for a stadium.
Well one can loop Toronto in there. Whether you refer to SkyDome (not calling is Rogers Centre) as a shit hole, they are homeless in a few years if BMO does not work out

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 1:45 AM

Shorten the season by 2 games.

You could either start the season later and benefit from greater interest/ viewership or end the season earlier and benefit from better weather...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 2:51 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Shorten the season by 2 games.

You could either start the season later and benefit from greater interest/ viewership or end the season earlier and benefit from better weather...
Shorten it to match the NFL? No thanks. Shorter season = less revenue and fewer games I get to attend/watch. Giant thumbs down from me.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 5:01 AM

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jan 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 5:03 AM

Prior to 1986, the CFL season was 16 games or fewer. No idea when the season started or finished but there you go - nothing to do with the NFL.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 6:16 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Prior to 1986, the CFL season was 16 games or fewer. No idea when the season started or finished but there you go - nothing to do with the NFL.
Yes but we extended it and now it's longer than the NFL's which is now 16. I believe there was also a difference for a while in the number of games played by the west and east and there used to be fewer than 12 a season as well if you go back far enough... I think Calgary's perfect season in 1948 had 12 games.

In any case, my other comments still apply. Plus, western teams have 20k+ season ticket holders, you aren't going to have added demand for the remaining 8 games that would make up the revenue lost by reducing games, not to mention that for many teams, there isn't actually the capacity to make up for losing a whole game's attendance during the remaining 8 games.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada