HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 6:57 PM

San Diego - Balboa Park - Part 1

San Diego is the 8th largest city in the United States by population (1,355,000) and is by far the largest city of the San Diego-Carlsbad Metropolitan Statistical Area in Southern California (the 12th largest in the United States).

Balboa Park is the city's most popular and central 1200-acre green space; its Southwest corner adjoins Downtown's Northeast corner, although freeways between the two create a distinct separation. The park occupies a hilly site with relatively flat mesas interspersed with a network of steep ravines and canyons. Large areas of native coastal scrub and groves of introduced eucalyptus contrast with the lusher features of playfields and golf courses, scattered gardens, the San Diego Zoo, and the primary core of cultural attractions. The core was first developed in its formal present form for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition, and expanded for the 1935 California Pacific International Exposition. Through the years, the original buildings have been renovated or rebuilt to house the city's largest collection of museums.

This thread will focus on the central core that was originally developed for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition, and its predominantly Spanish Revival architecture (although there are examples of other styles too). The tour is arranged roughly from the Eastern end of the main thoroughfare called El Prado to its Western end, then back to its central bisecting axis with Pan American Road.

San Diego Natural History Museum:
This museum was built in 1933 and renovated and expanded in 2001.

Bea Evenson Fountain:
This mid-century addition anchors the terminus of El Prado in a plaza between the San Diego Natural History Museum and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center.

Reuben H. Fleet Science Center:
This building houses an Omnimax Theater and hands-on science exhibits; its Spanish Revival style was designed to compliment the historic area architecture when it was built in 1973, with another addition in 1998.

Casa del Prado:
This 1971 rebuilding of the 1915 Varied Industries Building houses the Casa del Prado Theater and several foundations and rental meeting rooms.

El Prado:
The Eastern side of the main axis is a pedestrian-only zone.

More Casa del Prado:

Casa de Balboa:
This late-1970's rebuilding of the 1915 Commerce and Industries Building houses several conservation organizations as well as three museums: Museum of San Diego History, Museum of Photographic Arts, and San Diego Model Railroad Museum (pictured here).

Lily Pond and Botanical Building:
This large lath structure filled with subtropical plants was built for the exposition in 1915.

House of Hospitality:
This 1997 rebuilding of the 1915 Foreign Arts Building houses the Prado Restaurant, Balboa Park Visitors Center, and ballroom.

Plaza de Panama:
The central space where the axes of El Prado and Pan American Road meet is shown below, starting with a view East, then West, then North to the San Diego Museum of Art. The plaza was recently converted to exclude automobile parking and traffic except for its Southwest corner.

San Diego Museum of Art:
This 1926 building was built on the site of the 1915 United States Building; its West Wing and Sculpture Court were added in 1966 in a decidedly contemporary style.

Timken Museum of Art:
Across the Plaza de Panama, in a symmetric location to the mid-century contemporary location of the San Diego Museum of Art's West Wing, is this small fine gallery built in 1965.

Old Globe Theater:
This 1981 rebuilding of the original 1935 theater (itself a recreation of the original in London) also features two other theaters in the complex and has a busy schedule of productions.

San Diego Museum of Man:
This is the most famous of the park's buildings, composed of the 1915 California State Building, California Tower, and Fine Arts Building arranged around the Plaza de California; El Prado travels through the plaza's East and West gates. The anthropological museum opened as an exhibit at the 1915 exposition and became a permanent feature of the park.

Western end of El Prado:

Alcazar Garden:

House of Charm:
This 1996 rebuilding of the original 1915 Indian Arts Building houses the Museum of the Living Artist and Mingei International Museum (which showcases folk art and craft and design).

Pan American Road:
This axis bisects El Prado at the Plaza de Panama and leads to the Spreckels Organ Pavilion.

Spreckels Organ Pavilion:
Free Sunday afternoon organ concerts are still a tradition at this 1915 outdoor theater.

All photographs taken in 2014 by geomorph.

For my other San Diego threads, see:

Balboa Park - Part 2: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216165

Downtown - Waterfront Part 1: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216189

Downtown - Waterfront Part 2: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216200

Downtown - Historic to Postmodern Buildings: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216754

Downtown - Contemporary Lowrises and Midrises: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216793

Downtown - Contemporary Highrises: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216804

University of California, San Diego - Part 1: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=227444

University of California, San Diego - Part 2: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=227488

Last edited by geomorph; May 4, 2017 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 8:34 PM
BANNED

Nicely done! Looking forward to Part II.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 11:24 PM

Great pictures. That is such a great part of San Diego.

When you say (for example): "This 1971 rebuilding of the 1915 Varied Industries Building" what do you mean? Do you just mean a renovation? Or was it somehow physcially rebuilt and/or moved? I'm unfamiliar with the history of Balboa Park and how it now came to be.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 12:27 AM

Always have enjoyed your photo threads Geomorph, and this is no exception. Thanks for sharing and for the commentary!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 1:13 AM
Registirred User

aww that's a bit of a downer to find out many of those buildings are 1970s replicas. I thought they were the real thing when I saw them in person.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:17 AM

PHX31,

Many of the buildings were meant to be temporary constructions for the 1915 exposition so eventually they needed to be knocked down (or burned by arson in a few cases) and replaced by recreations. The additions of the couple mid-century buildings where there had once been original 1915 Spanish Revival buildings is indicative of the 1960's uncertainty about the future of the original buildings at the time, before a preservation ethos was in place.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:35 PM

How many of the historic (say 1930s and earlier) buildings are original then?

That does kind of detract a bit from the idea of Balboa Park that some of the buildings aren't original, but overall it's still a great place and very beautiful. Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:42 PM

PHX31,

I think the only original buildings from 1915 that remain are the Botanical Building, Museum of Man/California Tower, Spreckels Organ Pavilion, and Balboa Park Club. Quite a few of the 1935 era buildings remain, see my Part 2 thread!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 9:56 AM

absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing. Brought back a lot of nice memories. Its been a long time since i was up there

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post

That does kind of detract a bit from the idea of Balboa Park that some of the buildings aren't original, .
I don't really see how. The replications are faithful to form.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 12:05 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very nice tour! Thanks for sharing, geomorph!

I love all the architectural spanish reminiscences. San Diego is a very complete city. I´d love to visit it someday.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:54 AM
Frequent Lurker

Great threads geomorph! You really did your research which makes these even more interesting to read.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:16 AM

Great pictures! I didn't get to see much of Balboa Park when I was there, so it's nice to see what it's like.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:41 AM
Downtowner

One of my favorite places! It does not detract at all that they were rebuilt, they were made of chicken wire and plaster most of them; I think it is great that they were rebuilt with permanent materials!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos