HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:30 AM

This is a very controversial topic that no doubt will lead to arguments. (similar to what happened last week) -with one of your post.

perhaps use this thread instead CBD, How Bad is the Homeless Problem in Your City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I was looking at the interesting links you posted for this housing tract, E_R. The info above says the exteriors were rich in color,
but if someone asked me to show them what Dark Red, Light Blue or Dark Green colors looked like, for example, these are not the colors
I'd have come up with that Plochere has listed:

Dark Red:

Light Blue:

Dark Green:

Maybe they were meant to be smog infused views.

The worst is 'Light Blue'. There is no way that is light blue. :shakes head in denial:
_____

Martin Pal, the color scheme for Mar Vista reminds me of the color scheme at Baldwin Hills Village/The Village Green.

BALDWIN HILLS/VILLAGE GREEN PALETTE

THE VILLAGE GREEN

scenes from a 8mm movie

The cheerful pastel hues of the 1941-46 paint palette at Baldwin Hills Village.

If anyone's interested, you can read about it at BALDWIN HILLS VILLAGE

(I did a post on this same subject years and years ago)
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 14, 2018 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Hey, Bristolian!

So far, I've been able to locate every bar in Barfly, with the exception of the Catalina/Yoshiko's. I suppose that's why I'm so determined to find it.

Here are screenshots of all of the bars that appear in Barfly, along with locations. Underlined links show the location on Google street view.

(All images: American Zoetrope and GSV)

As to your question, the Kenmore was on the corner of Third and Kenmore streets.

...Well, at least I only covered the bars in the credit sequences... there are also the hotels and multitude of street scenes that (thankfully!) I have left out of my post!
Scott, I also want to commend you on the thorough report but there is one street scene from Barfly that has intrigued me. As I recall Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway are stumbling home and come across some corn growing and take some home with them. Any idea where that was shot? Again it has been a long time since I saw the movie and I don't even remember the details or if it would even be considered a location. I did a quick check on IMDb but found nothing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Scott, I also want to commend you on the thorough report but there is one street scene from Barfly that has intrigued me. As I recall Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway are stumbling home and come across some corn growing and take some home with them. Any idea where that was shot? Again it has been a long time since I saw the movie and I don't even remember the details or if it would even be considered a location. I did a quick check on IMDb but found nothing.
HA! Now you've gone and done it, Bristolian! You've just provided me with a reasonable-enough-sounding excuse to post the second installment of my epic examination of the movie Barfly: The filming locations of Barfly, Part II - the NON-BAR scenes! A sequel worthy of Mario Puzo! Longer than a CVS receipt! Able to crush broadband internet connections in a single post! It will be an EPIC, I tell ya!!

... all kidding aside, I do know every single location in the movie (other than that UNFINDABLE Catalina/Yoshiko's bar! ). I'll respond to your query in my next post, and I'll try not to blather on for too long in the process!

Incoming...!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
HA! Now you've gone and done it, Bristolian! You've just provided me with a reasonable-enough-sounding excuse to post the second installment of my epic examination of the movie Barfly: The filming locations of Barfly, Part II - the NON-BAR scenes! A sequel worthy of Mario Puzo! Longer than a CVS receipt! Able to crush broadband internet connections in a single post! It will be an EPIC, I tell ya!!

... all kidding aside, I do know every single location in the movie (other than that UNFINDABLE Catalina/Yoshiko's bar! ). I'll respond to your query in my next post, and I'll try not to blather on for too long in the process!

Incoming...!
Thanks Scott! I figured all I had to do was ask.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:

As to your question, the Kenmore was on the corner of Third and Kenmore streets.

I thought that building housing the Kenmore looked familiar. I posted this 1927 picture four years and two days ago in post #20785. Not all of my images in that post seem to be showing, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I came so close with the Third-Kenmore branch at 3704 W Third. I found a 1927 picture of the building that housed it, but there's no sign of the bank which would have been in the fourth unit from the left. As well as the Kenmore Pharmacy and National Market, the picture also shows a tailors shop owned by Isadore Brown, a "Beauty Shoppe", a laundry and a barbers.

USC Digital Library
Quote:

Up next is the fictional bar and main setting of the story, The Golden Horn:

The building was the Hotel Adams, located at 3896 Main Street, Culver City. There was an actual bar there called Big Ed's, the sign of which the movie people simply covered with a "Golden Horn" sign.

When Culver City demolished the Hotel Adams, they put a street through the former site of the hotel.

Part of the Adams Hotel made a very brief appearance in a season 2 (1978) episode of 'CHiPs' called Return of the Turks. My notes say that the hotel was demolished after a fire in the late '80s, but I didn't save my source.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

In the same way that the Kenmore was on Kenmore Street, I thought that our mystery Catalina bar might've been on Catalina Street. Knowing that a later episode of 'CHiPs' used a couple of locations on Catalina Street, I had a quick look, but I couldn't see the home of the bikini dancers. I'll keep an eye out for it if I get time to watch other episodes.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Scott, I also want to commend you on the thorough report but there is one street scene from Barfly that has intrigued me. As I recall Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway are stumbling home and come across some corn growing and take some home with them.

I remember that scene because it was so absurd. The co-worker I went to see the film with (Gina) and I just started laughing out loud because Faye and Mickey are having a conversation and out of the blue Faye stops talking and walking, looks off somewhere and out of the blue says, "Corn."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:50 PM

Here's another Wilmington "then and now".

"Exterior view of The First Cabin restaurant in Wilmington. Photo dated: August 6, 1940."

LAPL

Although the address isn't given this time, I just drove the Googlemobile north on Avalon Boulevard until I got to E I Street.

GSV

Across the street, this building looks like it might have been a contemporary of the First Cabin. It certainly looks better as a T-Mobile store than it did under the previous tenant. I wonder if there are any vintage photos.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:22 PM

'mystery' construction.

"Four 1963 Orig Negatives LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA Construction Site"

all from EBAY
___

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:37 PM

'mystery' street corner

Los Angeles Dec. 1916

EBAY

no doubt a crowd of Christmas shoppers.
__

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
"Exterior view of The First Cabin restaurant in Wilmington. Photo dated: August 6, 1940."

LAPL
Thanks for the Wilmington 'then & now' pics Hoss. The First Cabin restaurant looks like it was a real gem.

I have also been snooping around Wilmington searching for Yoshiko' Catalina from 'Barfly'.
(for one reason..the close proximity of the Catalina Terminal)

Well I haven't found Yoshiko's booby bar but I did find a small 'Catalina Hotel' that has survived (the building, not the hotel)

lapl 1946. ( wrong era for Yoshiko's Catalina but I was desperate )

Since the building is a former hotel I was intrigued by the lack of windows on the side facng the harbor.

Being the trooper that I am, I went back in time and found this view from 2008.

GSV

You can clearly see where all the windows used to be.

If you're wondering about the wheel with the wings hanging from the front of the Catalina Hotel building.

detail gsv

The building is now home to 5 BALL RACING

BIKERNET

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 13, 2018 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 2:17 AM

The illustrator has more ink than the illustration.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' construction.

"Four 1963 Orig Negatives LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA Construction Site"

all from EBAY
___

I believe the site under construction is between Sunset Blvd., Cory Ave., and Phyllis St. The excavation we see
appears to be for the triangular building below at lower right, not for the taller building next to it:

Google

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I believe the site under construction is between Sunset Blvd., Cory Ave., and Phyllis St. The excavation we see
appears to be for the triangular building below at lower right, not for the taller building next to it:

Google
I’ve been lurking on this board for awhile, taking almost a year to catch up from the beginning. It’s been an amazing education and persistent rabbit hole for me. Finally, a building I know and worked in for several years.

That’s the original Luckman Building (3 stories from 1964) which was followed by the tower in 1971. Where Soho House is now was once Charles Luckman‘s penthouse residence that was very reminiscent a suburban ranch house surrounded by AstroTurf when I got to see it in the late ‘90s. Charles Luckman, was half of Pereira & Luckman who designed such not-very-noirish LA landmarks as the LAX Theme Building (with Paul Williams and Welton Becket) and CBS Television City to name just a few.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:05 AM

Quote:
'mystery' street corner

Los Angeles Dec. 1916

EBAY

no doubt a crowd of Christmas shoppers.
__
That's 7th & Broadway. The second building from the corner has the distinctive window pattern of Clifton's Cafeteria - 4 large arch-topped windows on the 4th floor, followed by a row of 8 equally-spaced rectangular windows on the 5th floor.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:20 AM

The filming locations of Barfly, Part II - the NON-BAR scenes!

Unbelievably, a movie about the lives of hopeless alcoholics actually includes a number of scenes not shot in a bar. Here we'll take a look at them in "The filming locations of Barfly, Part II - the NON-BAR scenes!"

(All images: American Zoetrope, Google Maps - underlined links show the scene on Google street view.)

In the movie's first non-bar scene, we see "Henry" (Mickey Rourke) walking along the street. First he walks past some red bricks, then some green bricks:

This scene was shot at the northwest corner of Third and Berendo streets. Note that both the red and green bricks still remain to this day:

As Henry walks past the green bricks, you can clearly see the reflection of the apartment building at 316 South Berendo in the shop window:

The scene continues as Henry walks west on Third Street. In this shot, we can see the former "Frolic Beer Bar", located at 3617 W Third Street:

Later on, Henry pauses at a fire hydrant and crosses the street:

Once again, we are at the corner of Third and Berendo - above we are looking north, at the top of the buildings Henry walks past with the color bricks, while below we are looking west at the Bengal (formerly Ho's) liquor store:

THE CORN SCENE!

... was shot at 334 S Westlake Ave.

Note that the two images do not line up perfectly. This is because the apartment building on the left (below) is a new building, and at the time Barfly was filmed it was a vacant lot - the location of the corn. In other words, the Barfly shot is just to the left of the Google image. I believe that the palm tree behind the light pole in the Barfly image above is actually this palm tree:

Both of these background buildings can be seen in Barfly. However, the new apartment building now blocks the building on the left from being seen from Westlake Ave:

As Henry and "Wanda" (Faye Dunaway) are picking corn the police shine a spotlight on them. The two run from the police into the Royal Palms apartment building at 360 S Westlake Ave:

Here, for the sake of clarity, is an aerial shot of where the scene plays out:

If you watch closely, you can see Henry and Wanda run past the still-existing stairs and driveway:

NOTE: While these scenes at the Royal Palms were being filmed, Charles Bukowski visited the set. He was surprised to discover that the crew had chosen to film at the Royal Palms, an apartment building where he and Jane Cooney Baker (on whom the Wanda character is based) actually lived during their relationship. This was a complete coincidence, as nobody who was working on the film knew beforehand that Bukowski and Jane had lived there.

Once they are inside of Wanda's apartment room, however, some Hollywood trickery is performed - the two aren't actually in the Royal Palms - they are now about 10 blocks away inside of the Bryson Apartments at 2701 Wilshire Blvd:

LA Department of City Planning

Note the shadows on Wanda's wall - they match the distinctive style of the Bryson's paperclip-like balcony railing:

Another shot of the balcony railing:

It would take far too long to show all of the evidence that the interior of Wanda's apartment was shot inside of the Bryson, but all of the shots through the windows reveal their true location. For example, you can see the Sheraton Town House at 639 S Commonwealth Ave from the west-facing window behind Henry:

It is stated multiple times in the movie that Wanda's apartment is on the third floor. This seems correct to me, judging by the view out of her windows.

Since she has a corner apartment, facing west and north, that would mean that this is the location of her apartment (the bottom floor is a basement, so the floor that looks like the fourth is actually the third - the floor that is street-level is the second floor):

In a fit of jealousy, Henry tosses Wanda's clothing out the window at the Bryson:

Some of the clothes land outside of the Bryson:

... while miraculously, some of the clothes land 10 blocks away, outside of the Royal Palms:

Later, Henry and Wanda leave the Bryson, which again turns into the Royal Palms once they are outside.

Notice that in the shot from the movie, directly below, there are not yet any buildings in the background... only corn fields...

By the way, I remember that "Royal Palms 360" sign. I liked it, I don't know why they got rid of it.

The two go walking south on Westlake Ave, and a block down they pass the Regina Apartments at 420 S Westlake. You don't get to see the building very well, but the same kind of stickers are still used for the address:

They walk past one more building that has since been torn down, until they speak to a man in a vacant lot:

The ornate-looking building behind Henry (green) is the Cameo Hotel, at 504 S Bonnie Brae street:

I believe that the building highlighted in magenta is the Madison on Fifth apartments at 467 S Bonnie Brae, but if so the exterior has been heavily modified since 1987.

Henry puts Wanda on the bus at the corner of 6th and Westlake by the Hotel Barbizon, with the Hotel Californian behind the Barbizon:

The Hotel Californian was destroyed by a fire in 1995, but its signs were rescued and were stored by the Mulholland Fountain in Griffith Park, where they languished for some time. You can actually see them in this Google street view from 2009:

I actually visited the sign while it was there, and took about a dozen photos of it. Here are two of my photos:

The sign was refurbished, and since March of 2017 it sits atop The Paseo at Californian, a new 53 apartment low-income housing complex in the same location as the former Hotel Californian:

Henry and the publisher, "Tully Sorenson" (Alice Krige) are shown driving east on Sunset Blvd, from Crescent Heights in West Hollywood all the way to Kingsley Drive in Hollywood's Thai Town, a distance of 3.7 miles.

They start at Great Western Savings - now a branch of Chase Bank - located at 8150 Sunset Blvd, on the Sunset Strip.

Henry pulls Tully's Mercedes back to speak to a prostitute, with the Chateau Marmont in the background:

The same view today:

They drive past the All American Burger, which is now a Chipotle restaurant:

... and within a blink of an eye, they are half way across town, facing Bill's Liquor at the corner of Sunset and Serrano Ave:

The couple in the car in front of them (which features a license plate that says "KSS MY AS") keep making out at the intersection, even after the light turns green, prompting Henry to honk his horn at them. The driver responds by flipping Henry the bird and yelling "**** YOU!", setting up the next scene.

They drive a block further east, reaching the intersection of Sunset and Hobart Blvd. Henry decides to teach the amorous couple a lesson by pushing their car into the busy intersection:

Here is the intersection today. The large building on the right was a JONS supermarket at the time of filming. It is now a 99¢ store:

NOTE: If you look very closely at the shot of the amorous couple from behind, you can just make out a Shakeys Pizza sign:

Photo credit for Shakeys sign inset

The restaurant, still located at 5170 Sunset Blvd, was often visited by the real-life Charles Bukowski, as Bukowski lived so near to it:

Bukowski's bungalow, located at 5124 De Longpre Avenue, has been given monument status:

image credit

The lovers flee the scene, showing the intersection of Sunset and Hobart, looking north:

The intersection today:

The final, non-bar scene is the home of the publisher, Tully Sorenson. It is located at 7515 Mulholland Drive:

The house is almost entirely unchanged, but I had to scroll back to 2011 on Google street view to reveal the wall. The wall is still standing, but is now covered by vegetation.

A large... gatehouse..?... has been erected over the driveway, but other than that the home is identical to how it appeared in the movie.

By the way, the Sunset Blvd path the two took to get from Wanda's apartment to Tully's home in no way resembles the path you'd actually have to take to get from one to the other:

But hey, that's Hollywood for ya!

By the way, I kind of geek out about every movie shot in LA like this - but very few of them feature so many great LA locations as Barfly!

PS: GREAT old 1927 image of the Kenmore building, Hoss! I could have probably stared at it for twenty minutes without realizing what is was, it's so unrecognizable today.

Last edited by Scott Charles; Apr 13, 2018 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh_windsorvillage View Post
I’ve been lurking on this board for awhile, taking almost a year to catch up from the beginning. It’s been an amazing education and persistent rabbit hole for me. Finally, a building I know and worked in for several years.

That’s the original Luckman Building (3 stories from 1964) which was followed by the tower in 1971. Where Soho House is now was once Charles Luckman‘s penthouse residence that was very reminiscent a suburban ranch house surrounded by AstroTurf when I got to see it in the late ‘90s. Charles Luckman, was half of Pereira & Luckman who designed such not-very-noirish LA landmarks as the LAX Theme Building (with Paul Williams and Welton Becket) and CBS Television City to name just a few.

Thanks very much for your information, Jh_windsorvillage, and welcome to the thread!

P. S. Awesome Barfly post, Scott Charles!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Unbelievably, a movie about the lives of hopeless alcoholics actually includes a number of scenes not shot in a bar. Here we'll take a look at them in "The filming locations of Barfly, Part II - the NON-BAR scenes!"
Outstanding job Scott! Your graphics skills are on display again. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I really have to see the film again now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
By the way, I kind of geek out about every movie shot in LA like this - but very few of them feature so many great LA locations as Barfly!
A preview of things to come?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 7:55 PM

Along the lines of Barfly, I have been thinking of some great dive bars used in The Rockford Files. I remember Jim tracking down Angel Martin at one of those on more than one occasion. I'm going to have to break out my DVDs and see if I can find any. From memory, they were very similar to those used in Barfly.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
DREAMY

PACOIMA ELEMENTARY

So I was right! My first baby step at being a dendrologist.
____

odinthor, here's something you might find interesting about the recently discussed MAR VISTA Tract (location of the Tension house)

Landscape architect Garrett Eckbo planted different types of trees on each of the streets so that each street had its own original streetscape.

Ficus on Beethoven

Melaleuca on Moor

Magnolia on Meier

One more interesting fact: There are no street lights!

information from James Collin Campbell
Many thanks, e_r--I hopped into the Googlemobile for a pleasant spin to check this out! Alas, the planned uniformity of street trees seems to have fallen into desuetude...

Ficus trees are at present few and far between on Beethoven (probably because they're messy and the roots are unkind to pavement); but here are a couple:

gsv

I found a Melaleuca at the corner of Moore and Zanja Sts.:

gsv

But happily, or unhappily (because of their health), there are many Magnolias on Meier St.:

gsv

But e_r -- the Dendrologist Society of the Northern Hemisphere will be contacting you to teach you the secret handshake all dendrologists need to know!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos