HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, I have a new cat. Back in June we lost our cat Jodie. He had some kind of stone that had started to develop without us knowing it.

This little guy was sitting in the street one night. He's a few months old I guess, I'm not really sure. I don't have a name for him yet. We came home and he was sitting in the street. I had to get out and move him. I was expecting him to run off as soon as I got close, but I just bent over and scooped him up. He seemed really tame and clean, so I took him home thinking he belonged to someone. I figured if he didn't know to get out of the street that he'd be right back there and might possibly get hit. So the next day I walked back down there to knock on their door to see if they owned him. They said their neighbor has cats. So I went over there and didn't get an answer at the door. I went home and made a "cat found" sign. On the way back to put it up on the street light, I noticed our neighbor walking down his driveway. I asked if he had cats, and he said the cat was from a litter that started hanging around and said I could have him. Our neighbor across the street recently went into the hospital (she's elderly) and all the stray cats she'd cared for are starting to branch out into the neighborhood. Anyway, apparently the mother of my cat hung around her house. My neighbor said the cats follow him around everywhere. He said he'd probably just left and walked up to the store when we came by and found him sitting there. So anyway, now I have a new cat. I just don't know what to name him yet. He's really sweet and soft. He has sort of orange/brown eyes. He's really affectionate, purrs all the time and gets along well with the dogs. He has the tiniest meow, he's a bit of a crybaby. He's an awesome lap cat and has this funny thing about putting his feet on you, he doesn't scratch you, he just puts his feet on you. He'll even reach up to try and pull you closer. He loves being close. He also likes SkyscraperPage and wants to know what it's about.

What a beautiful cat.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 4:26 AM
Closed account

Quote:
So, I have a new cat. Back in June we lost our cat Jodie. He had some kind of stone that had started to develop without us knowing it.

This little guy was sitting in the street one night. He's a few months old I guess, I'm not really sure. I don't have a name for him yet. We came home and he was sitting in the street. I had to get out and move him. I was expecting him to run off as soon as I got close, but I just bent over and scooped him up. He seemed really tame and clean, so I took him home thinking he belonged to someone. I figured if he didn't know to get out of the street that he'd be right back there and might possibly get hit. So the next day I walked back down there to knock on their door to see if they owned him. They said their neighbor has cats. So I went over there and didn't get an answer at the door. I went home and made a "cat found" sign. On the way back to put it up on the street light, I noticed our neighbor walking down his driveway. I asked if he had cats, and he said the cat was from a litter that started hanging around and said I could have him. Our neighbor across the street recently went into the hospital (she's elderly) and all the stray cats she'd cared for are starting to branch out into the neighborhood. Anyway, apparently the mother of my cat hung around her house. My neighbor said the cats follow him around everywhere. He said he'd probably just left and walked up to the store when we came by and found him sitting there. So anyway, now I have a new cat. I just don't know what to name him yet. He's really sweet and soft. He has sort of orange/brown eyes. He's really affectionate, purrs all the time and gets along well with the dogs. He has the tiniest meow, he's a bit of a crybaby. He's an awesome lap cat and has this funny thing about putting his feet on you, he doesn't scratch you, he just puts his feet on you. He'll even reach up to try and pull you closer. He loves being close. He also likes SkyscraperPage and wants to know what it's about.

Wow...handsome kitty, Kevin. Looks a lot like one at the shelter where I volunteer.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 1:38 AM
Meh

Yeah, he's an awesome cat. I gave him a bath a little while ago. I'm sure he's never had one. He was really good for me. He wasn't thrilled about it, but he let me do it. I think mostly he was just trying to figure out what was going on. He was shivering of course. I wrapped him up in a towel and used the hair dryer on him. He was ok with that too, and seemed to realize it was warming him up so he was ok with it. After that he set in my lap on a towel and purred while he dried himself.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 4:42 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Mine isn't very interested in it either. Since she's a Bengal, I always attributed her lack of interest to the wild Asian Leopard Cat genes.
Yeah, my Bengal doesn't like catnip, either... Bengals are strange creatures, no doubt about it!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 4:46 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:

Absolutely adorable kitty, Kevin!

As for me, I'm a bit down right now... Had to drop my two cats off at one of my sister's friend's houses... She's going to take care of them for me while I'm living with my sister and brother-in-law (move over there from Bakersfield this weekend), since he can't have cats around due to his asthma...

No cats around kinda sucks for me right now...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 4:55 AM
Meh

Yeah, they bother some people's allergies. My mom and sister are allergic to them. They can sometimes bother my allergies, usually a sneeze here or there, but that's about it. Since our cats are indoors all the time, it doesn't seem to bother me that much. And I also have asthma.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:10 AM
Closed account

Strangely enough, I have no allergies to cats. But if I walk into a house where there's a dog, my eyes swell up and I start sneezing. Really sad, because I love dogs just as much as I love cats.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:14 AM
Posh

My cat bats at the ticker tape things going along the bottom of the screen on CNBC.
Quote:
My cat watching Fast Money on CNBC, her favorite TV show:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:16 AM
Posh

My cat is your regular alley cat with stripes (see pictures). So I don't think it's got much to do with breeds.
Quote:
Mine isn't very interested in it either. Since she's a Bengal, I always attributed her lack of interest to the wild Asian Leopard Cat genes.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:19 AM
Posh

Since you're a skyscraper fan, name him Trump.

He kinda sorta looks like The Donald anyway. Similar hair/fur color.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:53 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
Strangely enough, I have no allergies to cats. But if I walk into a house where there's a dog, my eyes swell up and I start sneezing. Really sad, because I love dogs just as much as I love cats.
It depends on the dog breed though. There are hypo-allergenic breeds which don't affect your allergies. What that means is their fur is more like human hair than dog hair. We have poodles, and they're a hypo-allergenic breed. What it is is that their fur doesn't shed like typical dog fur does. So with it not shedding, that means it's not floating around in the air like typical dog fur or cat fur. We also have a dalmatian, and their fur sheds horribly. Their fur sheds and gets all over the house. There's probably dalmatian fur on the moon if any of the astronauts ever had a dalmatian. LOL

Poodles aren't the only hypo-allergenic breed. Another is the Portuguese water dog, which is what the Obamas have. They chose that breed because one of their daughters has asthma and allergies. The Portuguese water dog is a close relative of the poodle.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Though some breeders claim they are a hypoallergenic dog breed, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that hypoallergenic dog breeds exist.[3][4] However, their non-shedding qualities have made them more popular in recent years. While there may not be any scientific backing, this breed is non-shedding, requires extensive grooming and upkeep as its coat grows as does human hair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Water_Dog

^Although that passage questions the truth of there being hypo-allergenic breeds, it does note that because the breed does not shed its fur that it doesn't have allergenic qualities. It is generally accepted among dog breeders that certain breeds are hypo-allergenic, and no, not only the ones raising them.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:55 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007
Since you're a skyscraper fan, name him Trump.
That is a good pet name actually, but I'd rather not name him that. The reason is a friend of our's used to have a dalmatian by that name. I wanted to give him a name that wasn't a pet name. And I wanted it to be unique. My other cat's name is Jules. Should I name him Verne? Of course everyone would assume it's a Jim Varney reference.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:35 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

He looks like a Greebo to me.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 4:32 AM
I am a typical

Heard him meowing outside a few days ago and we let him in, and now we're keeping him. There are two other cats about the same size, one just like him with short hair and another with short hair and light orange fur but the same striped pattern. I think they're from a litter of kittens that someone couldn't get rid of, so they set them "free". We haven't named him yet.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 4:41 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

omg! what a cute kitty! i wanna pet it and keep it and sleep with it and love it! eww... im such a freak, i dont know any other guys who love cats as much as me.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 6:42 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

He's adorable, vid!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:32 AM
Meh

He looks happy.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:44 AM
I am a typical

When he is really happy he goes right up to you and licks your nose. And inside your nose. His breath stinks.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:48 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

haha! my cat does the same thing. she falls asleep on my chest or i make a ring with my arm next to my head and she curls up in there with her head on my chin.

then she licks my face for a few minutes and somtimes bites my lips (which is odd cause i've never seen any ther cat do it. its almost as if shes kissing me but i find that disturbing so i dont like thinking sbout it). and then i get tired of it so i put her on a pillow next to mines so i can move around. i hate sleeping in the same position all night, it makes my back hurt.

yup...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 4:28 AM
I am a typical

Don't feed them gravy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography