HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
On my website, there is a page on which I have a collection of views of the Richfield Tower during the all-too-brief time it stood at 555 South Flower Street in downtown Los Angeles from 1929 to 1969. You can see that collection here: http://bit.ly/RichfieldBuilding

I suppose it was for this reason that I was recently contacted by someone who said that he had the entry plaque into the Richfield Tower building and would I like to see a photo of it? WOULD I EVER?!?! So he sent me this photo and said: “This came to me from a friend of many years. It was given to the foreman of the demolition crew when the demo started in 1967. He had it set in the entry way of his home. After his passing, it was removed and given to my friend and now to me.”

The words “ERECTED 1929” is surrounded by eight discs. Richfield was an oil company (now part of ARCO) so I’m guessing these eight discs represent fields of endeavor in which oil has played a central role. They are: oil wells, airplanes, skyscrapers, small boats, trains, ships, factories, and automobiles. I'm not sure why sea craft are there twice, unless the "small boats” is something else. I am SO glad that someone thought to save something from the jewel in the crown of Los Angeles architecture aside from the two bronze doors.

I suspect there are two ships/boats, one to represent 'shipping' and the other to represent pleasure craft. If created more recently, you might see an auto to represent every-day driving, and a big rig to represent shipping/industry. In the 1920s they had trucks of course, but they weren't very big or much different from autos of the time (compared to today, that is).

As to CaliNative's follow-up, yes, the original tenants have long vacated the downtown Arco twin-towers. But I believe KMPG has taken significant space in the North tower, and Gensler has a huge office, having re-done the small bank building in the middle, and has 2-3 floors of the North tower as well.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 11:07 PM

The Ruschamobile in action, reflected in the glass of 1424 Santa Monica Bl., Santa Monica.....1974.

Also '74, again on S.M. Blvd., I think in the Virgil/Hoover area.....evidently this woman was inquiring as to the nature of the project....I believe that's Ed on the left and his longtime friend/art school classmate Jerry McMillan on the right.    

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:39 PM

Such sweet pictures.

Ruscha is still alive. I wonder if he remembers this encounter.

I haven't found a Wm R Morgan painting contractors on Sunset Blvd. but I found this one on Santa Monica Blvd. (1941 directory)...I'm going by "pntg contrs"

lapl

That might be Wm. R's home address on Edinburgh Ave. (married to Florence) - -unless, of course, that's a different William R.

hmmm, but who is this mysterious Mona White?

I know the Sunset Blvd. address is out there and I plan to find it. ...*takes puff on pipe*

oops...I just reread riichkay's post and see that the three photographs were taken on Santa Monica Blvd.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 30, 2021 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 7:54 PM

mystery aerial

This negative is currently on eBay.

"Aerial view of Los Angeles Streets & Shops, c.1950"

I've looked at this for waaay too long. I'm hoping someone will recognize the area.

Here's a positive of the negative.

eBay.

Let's take a closer look at the. . .umm. . .apartment complex(?) with a hidden interior courtyard.

detail

And here's a closer look at the buildings on the north side of the street.

detail

The whitish one has the unmistakable shape of a movie theater.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
The Ruschamobile in action, reflected in the glass of 1424 Santa Monica Bl., Santa Monica.

Speaking of Ed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
A few odds and ends...to be continued...

A recap of this block from Hilldale east to Clark Street, seen in Ed Ruscha's 1966 photoshoot of Sunset Blvd.:

And...

Last edited by Martin Pal; Feb 1, 2021 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:52 PM

...and a look back down the street, in psychedelic color...

...first in 1963.

The video title says Sunset Strip 1964. The Whisky opened in January, 1964, but at 0:24 in that location, seen below, "The Party" comes into view.................................................................................................................................................
...followed by The Unicorn, The Golden Violin, Cavalier and Hamburger Hamlet...............................................................................................................................................
(The video continues on down to Sunset and Doheny Rd., almost colliding with a light blue...I don't know, Chevy, maybe?)..............................................................................................................................................

Notice the cranes (like antennae) on the left. The 9000 building is under construction. (Looks like about three floors.)..............................................................................................................................................

Video Link
..............................................................................................................................................

Two views from the other direction...............................................................................................................................................

Not dated:.....EllenBloom..............................................................................................................................................

An eleven second twilight look at the location...............................................................................................................................................

Video Link
..............................................................................................................................................

Lastly, a 1968 view--on the left the Richfield is now a Union 76 and 9000 building is completed. Scroll right for the entire photo view...!!!..............................................................................................................................................

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
That was quite interesting, riichkay, thank you!

Speaking of Ed...

A recap of this block from Hilldale east to Clark Street, seen in Ed Ruscha's 1966 photoshoot of Sunset Blvd.:

And...
He should have named it 'Ruscha StreetView', and he could have sued Google for a lot of $$$$.

That pickup with the camera on it must have looked as strange back then, as the hybrids with the camera on them look now!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
mystery aerial

I've looked at this for waaay too long. I'm hoping someone will recognize the area.

eBay.

Let's take a closer look at the. . .umm. . .apartment complex(?) with a hidden interior courtyard.

detail

And here's a closer look at the buildings on the north side of the street.

detail

The whitish one has the unmistakable shape of a movie theater.

While I don't recognize the area, I think I can provide some more context to the photo. What ER has called out in the center as an apartment building, I think, looks to be a high school complex. The area immediately behind the building is a quad/lunch area, and there are tennis courts and a ball field further behind the building. I suspect the complex at lower left to be a middle or elementary school, and they may have shared facilities- note the striped white crosswalk mid-block connecting the two.

To the middle right, I suspect that could be a library building fronted by a park. Many times smaller cities will have civic facilities grouped like this. So perhaps it's one of the smaller municipalities in the LA area, or not near LA at all!

But I do agree about the white building likely being a movie theater.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:38 PM

A photographer named Matt Oswalt has just published a coffee-table book devoted to photos of Los Angeles liquor stores. Some are in black and white. Here's his (noirish) criteria for choosing that mode:

I ask myself five questions before I shoot a liquor store in black and white.

1. Could Ed Wood purchase a bottle of Four Roses Bourbon while wearing an Angora sweater and not raise any suspicion?

2. Are the parking lot acoustics perfect for Quint from Jaws to sing a sea shanty?

3. Has this liquor store inspired Warren Zevon to write a song about it?

4. Is there an autographed photo of Wally George on the wall?

5. Is this where Easy Andy from Taxi Driver goes to restock on merch?

More here: https://www.thedailybeast.com/meet-m...re-photography (may be paywalled)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch2000 View Post
While I don't recognize the area, I think I can provide some more context to the photo. What ER has called out in the center as an apartment building, I think, looks to be a high school complex. The area immediately behind the building is a quad/lunch area, and there are tennis courts and a ball field further behind the building. I suspect the complex at lower left to be a middle or elementary school, and they may have shared facilities- note the striped white crosswalk mid-block connecting the two.

To the middle right, I suspect that could be a library building fronted by a park. Many times smaller cities will have civic facilities grouped like this. So perhaps it's one of the smaller municipalities in the LA area, or not near LA at all!

But I do agree about the white building likely being a movie theater.
^^^
Just a wild guess...Manual Arts High School? My mom went there in the 1930s. Or perhaps L.A. City College on Vermont?

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 31, 2021 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:

...and a look back down the street, in psychedelic color...

...first in 1963.

The video title says Sunset Strip 1964. The Whisky opened in January, 1964, but at 0:24 in that location, seen below, "The Party" comes into view.................................................................................................................................................
...followed by The Unicorn, The Golden Violin, Cavalier and Hamburger Hamlet...............................................................................................................................................
(The video continues on down to Sunset and Doheny Rd., almost colliding with a light blue...I don't know, Chevy, maybe?)..............................................................................................................................................

Notice the cranes (like antennae) on the left. The 9000 building is under construction. (Looks like about three floors.)..............................................................................................................................................

Video Link

Two views from the other direction...............................................................................................................................................

Not dated:.....EllenBloom..............................................................................................................................................

An eleven second twilight look at the location...............................................................................................................................................

Video Link

Lastly, a 1968 view--on the left the Richfield is now a Union 76 and 9000 building is completed. Scroll right for the entire photo view...!!!..............................................................................................................................................

^^^
Newly constructed Sierra Tower residential building in the backround. In the 1960s the tallest residential building in the west. 31 stories, 398 feet.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 31, 2021 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 7:03 AM

At the time of his death in 1982, Jack Webb lived there in a two story penthouse apartment that he designed.
How cool is that?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

At the time of his death in 1982, Jack Webb lived there in a two story penthouse apartment that he designed.
How cool is that?
^^^
Very cool!

"This is the city...it is raining in Los Angeles...and I can see most of the city from my high perch in Sierra Tower...especially keeping tabs on those reefer smoking hippie punks on the Strip through my camera equiped telescope".

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 31, 2021 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:43 AM

The Man Looking Out at "The City" from his Pad

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:45 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--kesrK13j9...raggedNet1.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:03 AM

Quote:
mystery aerial

eBay

This is one of those places where you can see the clashing street grids. The street which runs from the upper left corner could be Hoover.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:45 PM

A demolition permit for this 1909 Craftsman at 1815 West Adams Boulevard, seemingly well-cared for, was issued last August. Perhaps if anyone in LA is covid-bored, lives nearby and/or needs to get out of the house, he or she might want to check to see if this has happened yet. It will probably be replaced by the type of multi-unit building for which houses like this one are rapidly being bulldozed. It sold for $820,000 in July 2019.

More pictures here https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...8/home/6897982

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:53 PM

mystery location

The following images are from a short newsreel dated 12 / 25 / 1929. (go to shermangrindberg and type in "horseshoes")

Does anyone know where, in Hollywood, this horseshoe park was located?

shermangrindberg

As you'll see there are numerous signs for clues.

shermangrindberg

Note the two gentleman enjoying a game of chess.

shermangrindberg

The ad with the all seeing eye and horseshoe looks like something out of the occult.

shermangrindberg

I believe I've shown you all sides of the park.

Now go find it sleuths!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 2, 2021 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 9:47 PM

Regarding Clark and Hilldale...

I can't believe no one remembered the old Love/Arthur Lee song from 1967... Between Clark and Hilldale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnyoH5DpNE

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:

mystery location

Does anyone know where, in Hollywood, this horseshoe park was located?

shermangrindberg
The 1931 CD places the Hollywood Horse Shoe Club at 5627 Hollywood Boulevard. It's the only appearance I could find. The 1929 CD has Hollywood Durant-Star Motors Inc at 5610 Hollywood Boulevard, which I think is the business across the street in the screengrab above.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos