HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 2:01 PM

This is a bit absurd. Driving might be quicker than this.

"A ride on the 33-mile Los Angeles-to-Anaheim segment is expected to take about 45 minutes. It’s a far cry from the “High-Speed” promise of the project, but the route is one of the most complicated and complex along the entire 800 miles of theoretical service area."

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:15 PM
TL;DR

Anaheim is just a weird spur anyway since the main line to San Diego would go via Inland Empire/Perris Valley. Really the Anaheim branch is just a way for OC residents to avoid a long slow drive up to Union Station. Doesn't really bother me if the travel time is the same as driving...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 6:23 PM

With the planning for tunnels in the southern part of the county to replace the coastal rail line to San Diego, wouldn't it be advantageous to use that route and turn the IE route into the spur?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

"A ride on the 33-mile Los Angeles-to-Anaheim segment is expected to take about 45 minutes. It’s a far cry from the “High-Speed” promise of the project, but the route is one of the most complicated and complex along the entire 800 miles of theoretical service area."
They could have designed where CA HSR runs above interstate 5 in Los Angeles. It would be quite interesting to see people's faces stuck in LA freeway traffic while an HSR zooms by.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:

So...I really wish that this article offered more specifics.

I had always thought that they were expanding the corridor to four tracks throughout, with two for combined HSR/commuter and two for freight (one through track and one for passing sidings/spurs), with HSR/commuter completely grade separated.

It's unclear what they actually mean by this modification. Will commuter rail be on its own single track but not be electrified?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:40 PM

Fresno has big hopes for high-speed rail to spur downtown renaissance. What’s the grand plan?

By Tim Sheehan
Fresno Bee
Oct. 24, 2023

"For more than a decade, city of Fresno leaders have pinned at least part of their hopes for revitalizing the beleaguered downtown and Chinatown districts on the development of a sparkling new jewel – a modern, bustling station for California’s high-speed rail system.

The California High-Speed Rail Authority’s Fresno station, currently in the design stages, will eventually be built on a site bounded by Fresno, H, Tulare and G streets, straddling the existing Union Pacific Railroad freight tracks and the future bullet-train line.

Planners with the rail agency foresee a contemporary multi-modal transportation hub with a sleek design, concourses with restaurants and retailers, a pedestrian bridge connecting downtown with Chinatown, and inviting public spaces. It will be developed in stages – first with the renovation of a historic train depot and construction of shaded plazas where people can watch new bullet trains go through testing, and later observe the construction of the larger passenger station that can expand as the rail system expands..."

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:55 PM

NANDERT the GREAT speaks about this topic in his last video about commuter rail in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLf3X4rNmYQ

AT the 19:40 minute mark.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 7:21 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:

Therein lies the problem.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 12:21 PM

High speed-rail construction begins on Highway 43 in Kings County
The California High-Speed Rail project is expected to be completed between 2030 and 2033.

By Kassandra Gutierrez
November 7, 2023
ABC30

"KINGS COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California High-Speed Rail Authority is gearing up for another round of construction, this time in Kings County.

SkyView 30 shows traffic backed up along Highway 43 between Hanford and Corcoran in Kings County.

It's part of the high-speed rail authority's next round of construction.

Through Tuesday, there will be a flagging operation between Nevada and Lansing Avenues for both north and southbound traffic..."

https://abc30.com/high-speed-rail-co...20construction.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 2:53 PM

CHSRA, Hollywood Burbank Airport Reach Settlement Agreement

Written by Carolina Worrell
Railway Age
Nov. 17, 2023

"The California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) announced Nov. 16 that it has reached an agreement with the Burbank-Glendale Pasadena Airport Authority dismissing the Airport Authority’s lawsuit regarding the high-speed rail project and clearing the way for high-speed rail construction from Burbank to Los Angeles Union Station.

According to CHSRA, the settlement “commits the High-Speed Rail Authority and the Airport Authority to a collaborative process during advanced design, construction, and operation of the high-speed rail station adjacent to the airport to ensure compatibility with the replacement passenger terminal and other airport facilities.”

“This settlement reflects the hard work of two public agencies striving to provide the public with new, state-of-the-art transportation facilities and services that meet the demands of travelers—a new airport terminal connected to clean, fast and safe high-speed rail,” said CHSRA CEO Brian Kelly. “This agreement further reflects our organizations’ understanding that the best way to deliver these services is through collaboration..."

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...ent-agreement/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
CHSRA, Hollywood Burbank Airport Reach Settlement Agreement

Written by Carolina Worrell
Railway Age
Nov. 17, 2023

"The California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) announced Nov. 16 that it has reached an agreement with the Burbank-Glendale Pasadena Airport Authority dismissing the Airport Authority’s lawsuit regarding the high-speed rail project and clearing the way for high-speed rail construction from Burbank to Los Angeles Union Station.

According to CHSRA, the settlement “commits the High-Speed Rail Authority and the Airport Authority to a collaborative process during advanced design, construction, and operation of the high-speed rail station adjacent to the airport to ensure compatibility with the replacement passenger terminal and other airport facilities.”

“This settlement reflects the hard work of two public agencies striving to provide the public with new, state-of-the-art transportation facilities and services that meet the demands of travelers—a new airport terminal connected to clean, fast and safe high-speed rail,” said CHSRA CEO Brian Kelly. “This agreement further reflects our organizations’ understanding that the best way to deliver these services is through collaboration..."

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...ent-agreement/
I wonder about the ridership at the Burbank Airport HSR station. I mean, I always fly in and out of Burbank because it is convenient and close by, but it's not a terribly busy node overall. The existing Metrolink station to the north of the airport, which is IIRC where the HSR station will be, is too far from the terminals to be useful (the existing Metrolink station to the south of the airport is, however, within walking distance of the gates).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I wonder about the ridership at the Burbank Airport HSR station. I mean, I always fly in and out of Burbank because it is convenient and close by, but it's not a terribly busy node overall. The existing Metrolink station to the north of the airport, which is IIRC where the HSR station will be, is too far from the terminals to be useful (the existing Metrolink station to the south of the airport is, however, within walking distance of the gates).
Hollywood Burbank is about to get a complete rebuild of its terminals and is going to incorporate HSR into the design.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I wonder about the ridership at the Burbank Airport HSR station.

High speed systems typically need a station like this in order to cue trains into a major terminal station and, in this example, outbound into what will be one of the longer HSR tunnels on the planet. For example, the Old Oak Common station will be used in England to cue trains in/out of London. In San Francisco, 4th/King will be used to cue trains in/out of Transbay.

Both this station and the San Francisco approach will work with cuing commuter rail in addition to HSR. It will also add almost no time to the overall run because trains won't be traveling fast between Burbank and LA Union Station. This means even if the train stops for the same amount of time as an intermediate station in the Central Valley, the overall dwell time is less because the acceleration/deceleration takes less time.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 4:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

For those that haven't seen them or had them algorithm fed to you, there's a relatively new YouTube video author that has made some pretty excellent CHSR content. Even for myself who feels they follow the project pretty closely I learned a few things. Very technical but thorough and easy to follow. Highly recommended viewing. No I'm not the person.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Plus a few more on his Youtube uploads page.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 11:02 PM

Quote:
🚆NEWS: Over $3 billion in federal funding is headed to California High Speed Rail!

That means:
♻️Reduced transportation emissions
🚄Less time in traffic
💸More good-paying jobs

Proud to have championed @CaHSRA’s application for this Bipartisan Infrastructure Law funding!
https://twitter.com/senalexpadilla/s...HGDxyrKi3IVOlg

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 11:50 PM

Do we think this $3 billion will allow CAHSR to fully complete the Merced to Bakersfield section?

I imagine that if the $3 billion grant (plus private activity bonds and I'm sure other low interest or subsidized public loans) allow for Brightline West to get built, there will be pressure on CAHSR to focus on the Bakersfield to Los Angeles segment next, rather than the Merced to San Jose section. At that point, the Bakersfield to LA section would effectively bring two high speed rail lines into Los Angeles.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 12:05 AM

Isn't he just talking about the $3B award to the Brightline train to Las Vegas?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 12:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

^^^ The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is awarding $3B to CHSR and $3B to Brightline West. I would have preferred for CHSR to receive about three times as much as Brightline considering the scope and budget of the project, but it will obviously take what it can get. I fully expect another large sum in a dedicated allotment to CHSR before Biden's first term is up.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^^^ The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is awarding $3B to CHSR and $3B to Brightline West. I would have preferred for CHSR to receive about three times as much as Brightline considering the scope and budget of the project, but it will obviously take what it can get. I fully expect another large sum in a dedicated allotment to CHSR before Biden's first term is up.
Ah, got it. That's good news. Agreed that I'd rather the entire sum go to the public transit project rather than the private, for-profit one. But I'm happy overall with the funding.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 10:31 PM
你的媽媽

^ More on that here:

Quote:
Feds Award $3B for CA High-Speed Rail, and $3B for Vegas-to-LA HSR
"This show of support from the Biden-Harris Administration is a vote of confidence in today’s vision and comes at a critical turning point, providing the project new momentum.”
3:27 PM PST on December 6, 2023
By Melanie Curry

The U.S. Department of Transportation will award CAHSRA nearly $3.1 billion, putting the project on schedule to open its Central Valley "initial operating segment" within the next decade.

This is the largest grant CASHRA has received, and after years of opposition from the former administration, congressional Republicans, and even some California state legislators, it is welcome news.

The federal funding will advance work in the Central Valley, including designing and constructing the Fresno station, Central Valley construction including completing design and right-of-way acquisition between Merced and Bakersfield (~180 miles), and procuring trainsets to begin testing.

The $3 billion announced on Tuesday is in addition to other smaller federal funding received this year, including $202 million for safety and grade separation work and $25 million for the Fresno Depot.
https://cal.streetsblog.org/2023/12/...egas-to-la-hsr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation