HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisla_krakow View Post
The past four times I have eaten there (three on the ferries), I have got the runs.
I hate White Spot.
That is standard with any food on BC Ferries. And has been for at least the past 30 years!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:46 PM

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the very good Clubhouse sandwich.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 8:28 PM

sounds like a food allergy or sensitivity maybe you have lactose issues that will usually have a pretty instant bodily reaction... even the smallest amount of cheese can cause problems

for me one slice of pizza is all it takes

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 4:12 AM

I hate you, this thread makes me want an original burger.

But it's 9pm and their probably closed. White spot is my favorite burger joint. Their burgers are like heaven to me.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I like Whitespot, but I remember how the burgers were always very drippy/gooey. They should have called it "Redspot" because you always ended up with Ketchup etc. on your shirt.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
White Spot isn't bad, but I'll take Harveys any day.. My Ontario roots are coming through there obviously..
Bleh, Harvey's so called "burgers" are breakfast sausage patties on a bun. Their meat is truly the most processed and disgusting of all burger chains.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 3:54 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I like Whitespot, but I remember how the burgers were always very drippy/gooey. They should have called it "Redspot" because you always ended up with Ketchup etc. on your shirt.
White Spot makes no apologies for having saucy burgers

I don't know about the ketchup part though. They load it up with Triple O sauce, not ketchup

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 12:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

maybe o-spot then.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:13 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
There's definitely something different with BC-based F&B businesses. They expand outside of the province with extreme caution it seems:

Milestones, for instance, skipped all of western Canada and set up restaurants in Ontario and Washington.
Blenz is scarce through-out the country, but you can find them in Beijing and Hangzhou, China.
Cactus Club expanded to Alberta, but it almost ruined the company. Not sure if there are any in the province still.
The Keg seems to be the most successful restaurant chain out of BC. It can be found everywhere in Canada and, to a lesser extent, the US.

Probably the most well-known brand out of BC these days isn't a restaurant at all. It's Lululemon.
I know this was posted more than a year ago but it was wrong then and is wrong now- mostly.

1. Milestones did not "skip all of western Canada." There are three in Calgary, including a very prominent one on Stephen Ave across from the Telus Convention Centre.
2. You can keep Blenz- it's horrible. But two Vancouver coffeehouse chains are present and growing in Calgary: Waves, which now has 8 locations in the Calgary area, and Caffe Artigiano, which has two including the first ever to open outside greater Vancouver with at least one more in the works.
3. There are now and have for many years been two Cactus Clubs in Calgary and there is a rumoured third opening in the old HMV space in The Core.

What we DON'T have and what I wish we had- and what we had in some deep-south suburb until a few years ago- is Triple O's. Fantastic burger chain- ordering a Triple O at a table-service White Spot is not the same at all. If I want fast food I want counter service.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 10:23 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^ Ok. I was just going by what I read on the Wiki page. Thanks for the clarification.

And yeah, I totally agree about preferring my burgers from Triple Os to the sit-down restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 2:11 AM

Every time I'm over in Hong Kong I start to miss Vancouver. Ironically, I end up going to White Spot over there way more than I do in Vancouver. I rarely go in Vancouver. Just some good ol' fashioned burgers and fries there makes me a happy camper.

I'm glad they're there and if the lineups are any indication, they're doing quite well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Believe the Calgary White Spot steak houses from the 70-80's were a totally separate company from the BC chain - steak and some seafood was the main offerings back then and most definitely in a different atmosphere.
I remember the WS in SW Calgary very well (Richmond Road, IIRC) as my girlfriend at the time worked there. Kind of a downscale Keg. Good food.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:37 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Digging this up from the grave.

I just found out Triple O's has two restaurants in China now. Both are located in Zhejiang Province that borders Shanghai. The one in Hangzhou is the closest one, I think. It's a 70 minutes high speed train ride to get there, but I might just have to make the train trip to try it out.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:12 PM
HVAC guru

We stop in at the White Spot on Georgia St. in Vancouver for lunch usually when we fly into town. Still love it.

That place is pretty much my first memories of both Vancouver and eating at a restaurant. We'd go there for dinner after spending the day at Stanley Park as kids, so the place has a bit of a sentimental attachment for me

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 7:05 PM

Man my parents always used to get me the pirate pak at Oakridge
A burger, fries, ice cream, and chocolate doubloon. It brought back memories as a kid

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 9:57 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Having family and friends in the Vancouver area, I've been to the Milestones in the Vancouver area a number of times. The food and drinks there are not half bad.

Quote:
Milestones, for instance, skipped all of western Canada and set up restaurants in Ontario and Washington.
Not true.

Edmonton has a couple of Milestones (I've eaten at both locations there). Calgary also has a few.

Quote:
Cactus Club expanded to Alberta, but it almost ruined the company. Not sure if there are any in the province still.
You're right about this one, as Cactus Club did indeed pull out of Alberta for a while. It's re-expanded back into Alberta now. Edmonton and Calgary have a few each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick
What we DON'T have and what I wish we had- and what we had in some deep-south suburb until a few years ago- is Triple O's. Fantastic burger chain- ordering a Triple O at a table-service White Spot is not the same at all. If I want fast food I want counter service.
Actually, there is a Triple O's in Alberta. It's in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton - kind of a weird location, IMO.

Last edited by CanadianCentaur; Jun 5, 2016 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 5:28 AM

I would skip the burgers and go for the breakfast omelets. I find White spot a better breakfast place that anything else.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 5:31 PM

Off topic but we have an Earls in Miami
It's in a high profile location in a shopping mall

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 6:49 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Digging this up from the grave.

I just found out Triple O's has two restaurants in China now. Both are located in Zhejiang Province that borders Shanghai. The one in Hangzhou is the closest one, I think. It's a 70 minutes high speed train ride to get there, but I might just have to make the train trip to try it out.
Just another sign that Chinese foreign money loves vancouver

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 4:17 AM

A bit of a bump. Just tried White Spot for the first time since moving to Vancouver. Was a bit surprised - I think a poster on SSP (?bcaseylion) compared it to Harveys, but its really nothing like it at all. More of a sit down restaurant, with pricier options but more premium burgers. The burger was surprisingly good - I got the Monty Mushroom Burger with sauteed onions. Really nice juicy patty and the toppings were quite flavourful. Wasn't as big a fan of the sauce - they kind of went overboard with it. Will probably hold it next time, or ask them to go light on it.

Good first impression overall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia