HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
$60 million to be poured into new downtown Kelowna development

The company taking over a long-time eyesore in Kelowna has revealed details about the upcoming development, including its price tag.

It was announced in the middle of July that Kerkhoff Construction would be taking over the defunct development project at 1151 Sunset Drive. Previously called Lucaya, the development has received a new name and a new $60 million injection. The 21-storey condo development will be located along Sunset Drive in downtown Kelowna. The project will receive an updated design from Meiklejohn Architects and feature 117 condos and seven

$60 million to be poured into new downtown Kelowna development
The company taking over a long-time eyesore in Kelowna has revealed details about the upcoming development, including its price tag.

It was announced in the middle of July that Kerkhoff Construction would be taking over the defunct development project at 1151 Sunset Drive. Previously called Lucaya, the development has received a new name and a new $60 million injection. The 21-storey condo development will be located along Sunset Drive in downtown Kelowna. The project will receive an updated design from Meiklejohn Architects and feature 117 condos and seven townhomes.

“When you are working on a project that will forever alter the skyline of a city, you want to get it right,” said Leonard Kerkhoff, vice-president of Kerkhoff Construction. “Meiklejohn has achieved that with a design that matches the incredible location on Sunset Drive.”

The building will feature a large reflective pond with a cascading waterfall, modern glass and concrete façade, and amenities such as a BBQ area, plunge pool, fitness room and business centre.

“It’s real this time as Kerkhoff Construction has an excellent track record and considering Sole Downtown sold 40 homes in 40 days, we are encouraging people to register soon to avoid disappointment,” says Scott Brown, president of Fifth Avenue Real Estate Marketing.

Construction on the property is set to begin in September 2016 with completion slated for 2018. Those interested in learning more about the property can sign up online to receive information as final pricing is not confirmed as yet.
https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...a_development/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:12 PM

Nice! Looks great for Kelowna. I hope it gets built this time.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:56 PM

It's a condo.

I mean any development is great, but it's a bedroom resort part of town. Burnaby gets blasted for allowing projects like these that support densification but not urbanization, yet Kelowna gets praised for it?

Last edited by DKaz; Jul 27, 2016 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 11:48 PM

That's a nice looking building. I haven't been to Kelowna for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
It's a condo.

I mean any development is great, but it's a bedroom resort part of town. Burnaby gets blasted for allowing projects like these that support densification but not urbanization, yet Kelowna gets praised for it?
Given the location (being the resort portion of town relatively far from the urban heart) and the history of the site, nothing really to complain about.

Everything is relative.

Now, this type of street treatment right in the heart of downtown Kelowna would be a concern.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Given the location (being the resort portion of town relatively far from the urban heart) and the history of the site, nothing really to complain about.

Everything is relative.

Now, this type of street treatment right in the heart of downtown Kelowna would be a concern.
Also, each time I visit my parents it seems that Kelowna's downtown is becoming more and more interesting (finally). This development is not the heart of downtown, so it can be more of a tower in a park. The important thing, considering the slow pace of projects in Kelowna, is that it is adding an even greater population within walking distance of the downtown core.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 3:09 AM

Options for a second crossing of Okanagan Lake coming in the fall

Update to say there's an update coming.

Quote:
The project manger for the provincial study of Highway 97 between north Kelowna and south of Peachland says the public will see options for a second crossing of Okanagan Lake in the fall.

Ross Coates, who gave Kelowna city council an update on the three-year project Monday, confirmed the project team intends to unveil second crossing options when it holds its next round of open houses later this year.

"We are beginning to explore potential second crossing alignments," said Coates.

He said with information garnered from the public,as well as local government and other stakeholders,the Central Okanagan Planing Study, or COPS as it known, is beginning to take shape and feedback on the options will be welcomed.

As part of its information gathering, the COPS team has derived a number of key statistics about the use of the existing W.R. Bennett Bridge that they say will influence its second crossing option decisions. They include 96 per cent of trips across the bridge start and end in the Central Okanagan, a figure that is up from 85 per cent when information was gathered for use of the previous Okanagan Floating Bridge in 1994. Also,more than two-thirds of the trips across the bridge are between Kelowna and Peachland, West Kelowna and the WFN lands.

Coates told council the WR Bennett Bridge is not not being used as much as was predicted prior to it being built in 2008 but the number is not far off the prediction.

Only four per cent of traffic using the bridge passes through the Central Okanagan for points north and east.

The study has also found what most drivers who use the bridge every day already know, while traffic volumes on the bridge may be the highest, congestion is the worst on the highway leading to it on each side of the lake.

"This realization has caused us to think hard about what the role of the provincial highway is," he said. "Especially in urban areas."

In response to a question from Mayor Colin Basran, Coates said the COPS team is looking at multi-modal forms of transportation on Highway 97 through the Central Okanagan, not just focussing on vehicles.

Basran asked if a "major" investment in transit along the highway was being considered by the study team.

Coasts said such options were being factored in.
source

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Kelowna Bargain Shop property on Bernard finally up for sale

It’s not quite a bargain, but a property on Bernard that’s had a lot of attention over the years is now on the market.

The acre and a half property at 560 Bernard Avenue, where The Bargain Shop used to be, has been listed for the first time ever by HM Commercial Group for $9.4 million.

Principal co-founder of the group, Marshall McAnerney, said the current owner, who lives in Victoria, has no interest in doing anything with the building.

"It's been in their family for many decades. It's a big project for somebody to take on. He's not really a developer so he feels it's time to turn it over to a developer that can build something big and great on the property,” McAnerney said.

McAnerney said he’s hoping to see the property developed into a high-density, mixed-use building, with retail stores on the ground floor and residential spaces above, whether it be apartments or condos.

"We have a very strong market downtown for that right now,” McAnerney explained. “With everything that’s going on downtown all of a sudden there's this huge interest, from millennials and boomers who want to be able to live and work and walk downtown.”

It hasn’t always been this way in downtown Kelowna. The property may be up for grabs for nearly $10 million, but the area has been climbing steadily in the last little while, and is now pretty much booming.

"We couldn't give land up for development away two years ago and now there are multiple offers on everything,” he said. "All of a sudden our downtown is vibrant and people want to live there.”

McAnerney said the revitalization has had a lot to do with support from the City of Kelowna.

Once the Okanagan Innovation Centre and Interior Health building moved downtown, others followed, including BNA and Cactus Club. The old Paramount building is also being developed into a Craft Brewery.

He said he lived in Vancouver when their downtown revitalization started happening and moved to Portland in time to see the rough area of town turn into the most vibrant area.

Now, the same thing is happening in Kelowna, he says, calling the Bargain property the “anchor” of Bernard.

"I think we're going to be one of the most vibrant small cities in the country,” he said. “I think it's going to be really exciting.”

The Group will be taking the property to the broader market in the first week of September.
https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...y_up_for_sale/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 12:58 PM

Downtown has such a different vibe these days with all the revitalization. Looking forward to the future of this city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:14 PM

So an increasing proportion of trips, 96%, are local trips, not through traffic on the highway.

The largest concerns are the congestion each side of the bridge.

The provincial study is considering what the role of a highway is in an urban area.

They are looking at transportation through a multi-modal lens.

It'd be interesting to hear a breakdown of the mode share across the bridge.

Reading between the lines, could their solution involve more limited access to the highway (removing stoplights), extending the HOV lanes, and investment in cycling and transit? Kelowna already has a BRT. Could they make the bus better?
-higher frequency buses, 15 minutes for 15 hours/day, 7.5 minute peak frequency
-stations (heated, covered, digital next bus in x mins displays, off-board tickets-all door boarding, integration with retail/malls, better free vehicle park and rides in strategic spots, bicycle parking)
-multiple BRT routes on either side along with easy connections between BRTs at each side of the bridge (one loop both sides, one along Hwy 97)
-local bus service to 15min frequency peak frequency to the BRT stations
-queue jumper lanes on remaining lights

This has to be orders of magnitude cheaper (capital and probably decades of operating expenses) than a new highway and bridge around Kelowna? Use the congestion as a non-monetary toll and make cheaper transit more convenient.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:49 PM

That tower looks great! can't wait until the skyline in Ktown isn't so cheesy (The Grand looks pretty bad). You guys could actually end up with a pretty interesting skyline if the Landmark area continues to develop and you get some development downtown and in the area between downtown and landmark.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That tower looks great! can't wait until the skyline in Ktown isn't so cheesy (The Grand looks pretty bad). You guys could actually end up with a pretty interesting skyline if the Landmark area continues to develop and you get some development downtown and in the area between downtown and landmark.
I'd like to see some pics pf the downtown area.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 6:46 PM

It appears that Mission Group is now proceeding with the long-postponed "Aqua" resort located on Lakeshore Road. There have been a few open houses scheduled after they put the development on the backburner for about 8 years.

From: http://www.missiongroup.ca/residenti...a/latest-news/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo Fan View Post
It appears that Mission Group is now proceeding with the long-postponed "Aqua" resort located on Lakeshore Road. There have been a few open houses scheduled after they put the development on the backburner for about 8 years.

From: http://www.missiongroup.ca/residenti...a/latest-news/
Option C. C'est my vote.

I only visited Kelowna once for a day, and I loved it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:13 AM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtee View Post
Crane was being erected today! Sorry no pics.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:14 PM

What, really? So one of the tower projects in Kelowna is actually going ahead? Finally something to break the ice. (This is the reincarnation of the stalled Lucya project right? If so guessing wont take long for it to start to rise.) Just answered my own question looking above on this page. Wow, a project staying close to its word.

Is the SOPA Square tower going up soon / having any work done currently? Don't remember seeing any cranes there when I visited in August.

Also, really hate all the silence regarding the great looking hotel on the waterfront. Another dead proposal?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
What, really? So one of the tower projects in Kelowna is actually going ahead? Finally something to break the ice. (This is the reincarnation of the stalled Lucya project right? If so guessing wont take long for it to start to rise.) Just answered my own question looking above on this page. Wow, a project staying close to its word.

Is the SOPA Square tower going up soon / having any work done currently? Don't remember seeing any cranes there when I visited in August.

Also, really hate all the silence regarding the great looking hotel on the waterfront. Another dead proposal?
SOPA is well underway. The townhouses are almost complete and the tower is about three floors up.

There's a nice little infill project going in on St. Paul downtown, too:

http://apps.kelowna.ca/iDevelopment_...m?da_num=19683

I also haven't seen any posts about "The Shore" going in on Lakeshore, which was announced a couple months back:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 4:26 AM

Thanks for the info!

It is nice to know that two towers will be going up in Kelowna for sure.

Just really, really, reaaalllly, want that hotel tower to go up. The location, ground plan, and tower design are just all so nice and achievable. Getting tired of proposals just stalling and dying in Kelowna.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:

I believe that demolition at the hotel site has happened, a name is coming soon as is the orange construction fencing:

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/no-name-u...elowna/it32465

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I believe that demolition at the hotel site has happened, a name is coming soon as is the orange construction fencing:

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/no-name-u...elowna/it32465
Well that is some good news. If true 3 new towers in Kelowna will give their skyline a great boost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia