HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
London, Ontario represent!

I give you the Dominion Public Building.

hlimg.com
The care and artistry that went into many of these buildings' details (like the London interiors there) is incredible, especially in contrast with so much cheap design today. Also, as I know has been mentioned here previously, there is a strong resemblance between London's building and Winnipeg's Federal Building.

https://www.winnipegarchitecture.ca

According to the blog link at bottom (all other photos), this 1936 WPG building replaced among other things the Manitoba Hotel (1892)

and subsequent Industrial Bureau Exposition Building (1911)

http://heritagewinnipeg.blogspot.com...in-street.html

Last edited by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁; Nov 17, 2020 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 10:47 AM

delete

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

indeed the buildings in London/Winnipeg look like they were separated at birth. I love everything about Art Deco.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

one of my all-time favorite Art-Deco buildings in Montreal is on St. Antoine Street.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4972...7i16384!8i8192

grandquebec

imtl

Here is a great thread on Montreal Art Deco (treasure trove):
https://walkmontreal.com/walks/art-deco/

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...oiowEnoECBwQAw
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Totally, and that looks like a great guide to Montreal. Saw this on Amazon – probably some overlap... Amazing the amount of effort put into even functional buildings.

https://www.amazon.ca/Art-Deco-Archi...5629223&sr=8-1

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Art Deco buildings are absolute treasures, and should be preserved at all cost.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:53 PM

Atwater Market (opened in 1933)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH57IfqD5f9/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:13 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ������������������������������ View Post
The care and artistry that went into many of these buildings' details (like the London interiors there) is incredible, especially in contrast with so much cheap design today. Also, as I know has been mentioned here previously, there is a strong resemblance between London's building and Winnipeg's Federal Building.

That's a very deliberate church-like configuration, a government temple, not often used so obviously in government office or commercial buildings.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:26 PM
Look at me!

Love that building. Always wondered why it was never in the Winnipeg diagram.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Totally, and that looks like a great guide to Montreal. Saw this on Amazon – probably some overlap... Amazing the amount of effort put into even functional buildings.

Art Deco Architecture Across Canada is well worth a purchase for anyone interested. It genuinely does a really good job covering the subject. Most of the focus is on the larger pre-Second World War industrial centres, so like Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Edmonton, but it has stuff from coast to coast including some real obscure ones located in the middle of nowhere. The only downside about it I can think of is that it can be a bit lite with the histories of some buildings, but that’s to be expected for a book trying to cover such a wide spanning topic.

As for this thread, here’s one from Edmonton, our old Hudson’s Bay Co. Department Store:

It's a bit more Moderne than flamboyant Deco, but as one of the very few pieces of monumental interwar architecture in the city, it fits. The main section of it, fronting Jasper Avenue, was designed by Winnipeg architectural firm Moody & Moore and was built between 1938 and 1939. Following the addition of a third floor and matching annex in 1949 and 1954 respectively, it became one of the largest departmental store buildings in Canada by square footage. Sadly, the Bay left it in 1995. Since then, the building’s undergone a massive renovation and is now known as “Enterprise Square,” which houses the University of Alberta’s Faculty of Extension. The original lower section of the building is a protected Municipal Historic Resource — the later upper floor, with the exception of its corner windows, was completely overhauled in the renovations (see the grey section in the pic above).

Most of the former store’s detailing is restricted to the use of glass block, speedlines, chamfered corners bearing the Company’s coats of arms, and six unique reliefs depicting elements of the city’s story. The reliefs include: an Indigenous buffalo hunt; a York Boat; a western Canadian settler; a trapper; the boat Nonsuch; and a Red River cart. I always thought the one below looked a bit like Harrison Ford…

And one of the corner reliefs:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Citizen_Dane_ View Post
That is indeed very nice – hopefully will make a proper visit to Edmonton in the not-too-distant future and check it out. Nice reliefs and history on the building and yeah, I can definitely see the Harrison Ford thing...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:06 PM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:44 PM

[QUOTE=TorontoDrew;9117568] ....

Looks like the author of the Canada-wide book has one specifically about Toronto:

amazon.ca

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:47 PM

delete

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:38 PM

One of Ottawa's Bell Canada Buildings.

https://twitter.com/CapHistOttawa/st...34083631190019

Looks different today, with a few floors added.

http://www.pastottawa.com/include/ot...1376744189.jpg

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:43 PM
Look at me!

Interesting vintage view of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Interesting vintage view of Ottawa ������
Same view today.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4203...7i16384!8i8192

The Coca-Cola building seems to still be around, but highly altered. The West Block is the only other building within clear view that is still around (though 4 buildings that are barely visible or slightly visible between Queen and Wellington are still around).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:50 PM
Look at me!

I really love the bank of Nova Scotia building in Toronto. Wish it were built in Montreal. It would have looked perfect on Dominion square next to the old Windsor hotel.

The problem with its location today is that it's kind of swallowed in a sea of much taller and brighter towers. It kind of just disappears.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:58 AM
Closed account

The Bay Store in Winnipeg closed. It had some Art Deco style too. Hopefully it gets repurposed into something that continues to bring life to downtown Winnipeg. Condos, maybe?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:09 PM

Not sure anything could be considered Art Deco on the Winnipeg HBC Building... Gorgeous structure none-the-less. Hoping they could so something similar to the old HBC in Victoria, not just Winnipeg, but all soon to be abandoned historic HBC flagships.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada