HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There won't be many fans of this on here I am sure but I'd like to see citizenship devolved more to the provinces much the same way they do it in Switzerland. Federal oversight would be a security check by the RCMP and CSIS.
So, under your plan if I chose to be a resident of NS rather than NB, then I would have to apply for NS citizenship?

What's the point of being Canadian then......

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:14 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Standardise healthcare so you don't have to buy insurance when going to other provinces. Your home province should just cover it and fares should be kept the same.
Agreed. Standardize health care. Standardize drivers licenses and vehicle registrations in some manner. It can be through private insurance, but the whole having to redo health cards and cars every time I move it painful and incredibly inefficient.

Add in that each province knows nothing about a patient when they are seen outside a home province and it can be a dangerous situation for some patients.

Factor in that there is little checking of drivers backgrounds in some provinces when they reapply for licenses and registrations and we get repeat offenders for DUIs and reckless drivers still driving when they shouldn't be.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd support some form of what Acajack is suggesting. Basically, each province would set its own criteria to attract the types of immigrants it needs; each province could offer a different route to Canadian citizenship for different people - subject to federal approvals.

It might sound intolerable but we already have such a system to a VERY slight degree. I've known several South Americans in St. John's and have sat around the table for their discussions about which province to go to, which one has the easiest route. Saskatchewan's, for example, is considered pretty tedious. Ours is considered pretty simple.

So we're already offering different routes in different provinces.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, under your plan if I chose to be a resident of NS rather than NB, then I would have to apply for NS citizenship?

What's the point of being Canadian then......
You'd still be Canadian federally but you would have to apply for NS citizenship to take part in NB elections, etc. It would likely be a formality when moving between most provinces but for Quebec it's more of a consideration.

To be the devil's advocate, what's the point of being Swiss if someone from Zurich has to learn French in order to become a citizen for local affairs in Geneva?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Following the Scottish referendum, thinking about politics, how federations/unions function.

I'm a big supporter of devolution, more powers to the provinces. I want Canada to be as decentralized as possible. But... that comes with a lot of disadvantages. Even our current divisions of responsibilities between the federal government and the provinces creates problems.

One of them is the agreement I'd most like to see:

One between Quebec and Newfoundland to build a highway-quality link between the provinces. Quebec would have to complete its highway to Blanc Sablon to highway standards. It's basically a highway to nowhere for them, which is why it hasn't happened.

Newfoundland would have to build a land link between the island and Labrador, and upgrade the highway from southern Labrador to Blanc Sablon.

The benefit for us would be tremendous:

That route would add less than 100 km to the driving distance from Montreal to St. John's, but it would completely eliminate a 6-19 hour ferry ride, and related weather delays. The benefits to our economy would be absolutely enormous and the quality of goods and services available on the island (for example, produce) would either be better or more reliably good.

But it'll never happen because highways are a provincial responsibility and there's no business case for Quebec to do its portion.

So, what about you? What deal would you most like to see between your province and another?
I agree, unless a fixed link can somehow be built between Cape Breton and Port aux Basques:

Shortest possible distance - 105 km, Bay St. Lawrence to Cape Ray

Shortest bridge/tunnel spans - 107 km, via St. Paul Island (spans of 25 km and 79 km, 3 km on land)

Shortest within populated areas - 162 km, Point Aconi to Mouse Island

Closest match to ferry - 168 km, Sydney Mines to Port aux Basques

Those are probably way too far to span with any form of technology that exists today. The bridge to the north would need significantly upgraded roads (138 would need to be a high-quality 2 lane road) to be useful. One negative is that it isolates the Maritimes more, since Newfoundland is the economic engine of Atlantic Canada these days.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:24 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Add in that each province knows nothing about a patient when they are seen outside a home province and it can be a dangerous situation for some patients.
Doctors in Alberta only recently moved to an online system for medical charts. It gets really weedy once you start talking about sharing patient information, both with regards to privacy laws, liabilities, and the actual infrastructure involved.

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:36 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'd support some form of what Acajack is suggesting. Basically, each province would set its own criteria to attract the types of immigrants it needs; each province could offer a different route to Canadian citizenship for different people - subject to federal approvals.
The bolded part I agree with, but not with having multiple citizenships. I think whatever route we ought to take should focus on reducing red tape and getting out of the way, not erecting bureaucracies. One country, one citizenship, multiple nations.

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I agree, unless a fixed link can somehow be built between Cape Breton and Port aux Basques:

Shortest bridge/tunnel spans - 107 km, via St. Paul Island (spans of 25 km and 79 km, 3 km on land)

Those are probably way too far to span with any form of technology that exists today. The bridge to the north would need significantly upgraded roads (138 would need to be a high-quality 2 lane road) to be useful. One negative is that it isolates the Maritimes more, since Newfoundland is the economic engine of Atlantic Canada these days.
Given the distances involved, it would seem that a fixed link crossing from Labrador to Newfoundland might be a more sound idea. However, it would apparently also be quite an undertaking. Not to mention one hell of a drive to get to Newfoundland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoun...dor_fixed_link

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
The bolded part I agree with, but not with having multiple citizenships. I think whatever route we ought to take should focus on reducing red tape and getting out of the way, not erecting bureaucracies. One country, one citizenship, multiple nations.
One country, one citizenship, two nations and 10 provinces........

I agree, the less red tape the better.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
I'll agree with that as well.

Though I would LOVE for our province of residence to appear on the front of our passport, below Canada. That'd make me so happy.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's not necessarily multiple citizenships when it comes to international travel. In Switzerland there is only one type of passport: a Swiss passport. Delivered by Geneva, Zurich, Ticino, Bern, etc.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post

Yeah, that'd be cool as well.

I'm curious which would be the bigger benefit for us. Would the Labrador route save communities in southern Labrador and on Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula? They'd go from being the end of the rarely-used line to front and centre on our most important highway.

That could outweigh, for us at least, the obvious benefits of simply improving the existing route through the Maritimes. I assume that there are lot of things we get here that we simply wouldn't have access to without the larger Maritime market bringing it halfway for us. If the trucks were using the Labrador route, then their cargo is pretty much just for us - it may not make economic sense to supply as many and varied goods.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
One country, one citizenship, two nations and 10 provinces........

I agree, the less red tape the better.
There would be no tangible benefit to devolving citizenship to provinces other than allowing those with immense provincial pride to travel around the world on a Saskatchewan passport or whatever. The existing structure is pretty sensitive to provincial concerns on this point.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There would be no tangible benefit to devolving citizenship to provinces other than allowing those with immense provincial pride to travel around the world on a Saskatchewan passport or whatever. The existing structure is pretty sensitive to provincial concerns on this point.
I've already explained why that would not happen.

The main impact of devolving citizenship would be with respect to the management of local affairs.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:

The main impact of devolving citizenship would be with respect to the management of local affairs.
i.e. fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Then there would be little change to the current situation. Since only Quebec residents can vote in Quebec elections, there is no need to change the language to "only Quebec citizens can vote in Quebec elections".

Same as with health care - only Quebec residents can apply for a Quebec health card. There is no reason to change the terminology to "citizen" unless you plan on introducing additional barriers to obtaining Quebec "citizenship", ie - only French speakers will be approved for Quebec citizenship. This smacks of exclusivity and tribalism.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Then there would be little change to the current situation. Since only Quebec residents can vote in Quebec elections, there is no need to change the language to "only Quebec citizens can vote in Quebec elections".

Same as with health care - only Quebec residents can apply for a Quebec health card. There is no reason to change the terminology to "citizen" unless you plan on introducing additional barriers to obtaining Quebec "citizenship", ie - only French speakers will be approved for Quebec citizenship. This smacks of exclusivity and tribalism.
Nice way to impunge motives.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Same as with health care - only Quebec residents can apply for a Quebec health card. There is no reason to change the terminology to "citizen" unless you plan on introducing additional barriers to obtaining Quebec "citizenship", ie - only French speakers will be approved for Quebec citizenship. .
Let's say for the sake of the discussion Quebec requires knowledge of French for citizenship, how is this more tribal than Canada requiring English or French for citizenship? Does this make Canada more tribal than countries with three or more official languages that require one of them for citizenship?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
At the moment, you are considered a Quebec resident if you've lived here for six months. You don't have to demonstrate a willingness to integrate into your community or know a lick of French in order to vote.

Just as an example, several of my former neighbours voted in the 1995 referendum by virtue of Canadian citizenship obtained in Ontario in prior years and having resided (more or less in some cases) in Quebec for six months. They knew zero French and zero about Quebec history, culture and society.

All of them to a man, woman and child are living in other parts of Canada today, or the United States. Or Dubai or somewhere like that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
i.e. fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
What makes you so sure that a problem that does not exist in Manitoba does not exist elsewhere?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada