HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 11:21 AM

Russia is considerably larger. We are only slightly larger than the U.S, but they blow us away in geographical diversity. Yet I think our size is still 'impressive'. I love the endless boreal forests. One of my favourite landscapes... well... the hilly sections for the most part.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It's huge.

My favourite way to explain the size:

If you were to drive from Toronto, through Halifax, to St. John's - then Halifax is roughly your half-way point. (1,794 km; 17.5 hours versus 1,485 km plus ferry ride; 21 hours and 45 minutes).

We're closer to Rome than Victoria.

I think, for many of us, the opposite end of the country seems smaller than it is. I remember foolishly expecting, when I moved to Winnipeg, that I'd regularly see relatives who at that time lived in Calgary.
My dad drove from Fort mack to Stephenville one time, and absolutely hated. So I always figured it was much further than it was.

I assumed it was atleast 12 hours drive across each prairie province.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We were in Europe this spring. The time it took to travel from London to Amsterdam (chunnel train to Brussels and then bus) was less than the amount of time it takes to drive from Moncton to Quebec City - and we passed through four countries (UK, France, Belgium and the Netherlands).

Canada is as large as all of Europe - including all of Russia to the Ural Mountains.

Yes I appreciate the vastness of Canada. The size of the country brings diversity, opportunity and economic stability. Small countries can have far too many of their eggs in one basket. If an industry or economic sector goes belly up in a smaller country, they could be in serious trouble.......

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada