HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:20 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Unbelievable that the Argos' lease even contemplates moving games around to accommodate baseball playoffs. Although in fairness to the Argos, I guess when the lease was being signed no one thought it possible that the Jays would be playoff contenders.
I believe it - the Argos once had a playoff game rescheduled to accommodate the Wiggles.

All in all, only (up to) 2 of the potential conflicts described could actually happen, and the damage could be mitigated by moving to an adjacent day in any of the circumstances - likely with minimal impact to the Argos or their opponents (TSN will be pissed though - not that Rogers cares about that much).

While all of this is still speculative, it just further underlines that the upcoming move to BMO cannot come soon enough.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:24 PM

^ Really, they can just move to an adjacent day? So what's all this nonsense about playing a game in a different venue all about then? Why would the Argos want to go to THF instead of just switching days?

And I will add to my last post that I have no particular antipathy toward the Blue Jays... only for their owners

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:30 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
^ Really, they can just move to an adjacent day? So what's all this nonsense about playing a game in a different venue all about then? Why would the Argos want to go to THF instead of just switching days?
I'm assuming that would be an option on the table. It would require the Jays to relax their (ridiculous) 48-72 hr turnaround time window they've instituted which is what has put them in this mess to begin with.

They seemed to be able to survive schedule overlap and coexist in '92 and '93 when the Jays had deep playoff runs, I don't see why they can't do that now.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 4:50 AM
More transit please

Wow, first win by the Als at BC Place since 2000... That is quite a winless streak.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 4:55 AM

Keep forgetting about Lions games. Whitecaps are more the focus these days. Attendance must not have been too great for a Thursday night.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 5:12 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Keep forgetting about Lions games. Whitecaps are more the focus these days. Attendance must not have been too great for a Thursday night.
Nearly 21K

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Yes, it is extremely mentally taxing to follow two home teams at once. Maybe sit down and have a glass of water.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is extremely mentally taxing to follow two home teams at once. Maybe sit down and have a glass of water.
I honestly don't know how Toronto sports fans can keep track. They must have huge brains.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 5:55 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
^ Fingers crossed that the Jays choke and this issue disappears.

Unbelievable that the Argos' lease even contemplates moving games around to accommodate baseball playoffs. Although in fairness to the Argos, I guess when the lease was being signed no one thought it possible that the Jays would be playoff contenders.
Why is it so unbelievable? The stadium was built for Blue Jays baseball and the Jays are in a more popular, more profitable league than the Argos are. The Jays are the major tenant, so it makes sense that they would get preferential treatment on scheduling.

That said, it'd be pretty weird if they were forced to play a few games out of THF. I can't imagine that Tigertown would welcome them with open arms. Might be better off heading the other way down the highway to Ottawa
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 12:55 PM

Ticats / Stamps repeat in the GC this year. You heard it here first.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 1:58 PM

^ The Cats are just firing on all cylinders this season... no one else in the east is even in the same league as them. Reminds me of how Montreal used to dominate in the late 90s/2000s. At this point they're a safe bet to rep the east unless they get racked with injuries.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Why is it so unbelievable? The stadium was built for Blue Jays baseball and the Jays are in a more popular, more profitable league than the Argos are. The Jays are the major tenant, so it makes sense that they would get preferential treatment on scheduling.
Revisionist history. It was built for the Jays and Argos. But not surprisingly Rogers has run it as a baseball stadium given that they own the park and the Jays.

And normally a booked date should be a booked date, but that's on the Argos if they were foolish enough to sign a lease that didn't lock in the regular season schedule. But like I said, who ever expected the Jays to be competitive again? We'll see how long it lasts.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 5:20 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Like '98 & '99.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:09 AM

Well, the Riders are now 0 - 8. Maybe next year. (Even though they played well!)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Well, the Riders are now 0 - 8. Maybe next year. (Even though they played well!)
Was close at the end, could have gone either way. Kudos to the fans there hanging in.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:44 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I'm gonna agree on this, the Ti-Cats have been amazing this year. It'll also be their 3rd Grey Cup appearance in a row which is refreshing just on it's own after over a decade of embarrassing seasons. If the Grey Cup game was in Hamilton this year, I think it'd be an almost guaranteed Ti-Cats win. Their home field advantage is insane.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Was close at the end, could have gone either way. Kudos to the fans there hanging in.
Watching the Riders narrowly lose all these heartbreakers is enough to almost make me feel sorry for them. Almost.

Needless to say, the W column wouldn't be empty if Glenn was healthy, never mind Durant. Tough break for the Riders this season.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Watching the Riders narrowly lose all these heartbreakers is enough to almost make me feel sorry for them. Almost.

Needless to say, the W column wouldn't be empty if Glenn was healthy, never mind Durant. Tough break for the Riders this season.
Loved the Mitchell to Rogers Hail Mary pass to end the second half, heck of a throw into the wind and jump ball catch, don't see that work very often but then bad coaching decisions seem to always get punished.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 6:03 PM

^ I can't help but think that 9 times out of 10 that throw would result in a pick... it goes to that old saying about having to be good to be lucky.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 8:26 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Loved the Mitchell to Rogers Hail Mary pass to end the second half, heck of a throw into the wind and jump ball catch, don't see that work very often but then bad coaching decisions seem to always get punished.
It seems like the Stamps have had one halftime Hail Mary every year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada