HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 8:48 PM
bro

Question Market Lane Survey

London.ca just posted a small article about Market Lane with an attached questionnaire. Thought you guys might be interested in adding your two cents.

Article and Survey

Here's what I wrote for the two main questions:

Q.What do you dislike about Market Lane?

A.It doesn't connect to Dundas very well. Right now it's just a hole in the streetwall that people occasionally meander through.

Q.How would you change Market Lane?

A.-I would turn the Lane itself into a bit more of a destination. A grander entrance on Dundas with vibrant lighting and large Market Lane signage. Give it an outdoor atrium feeling with a strong presence on Dundas.

-Add food vendors and allow street performing in the Lane to help draw people in off of Dundas.

-Team up with The MET to incorporate both sides of Dundas.

-Explore options with Fanshawe about developing a cafe that opens into the Lane.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Q.How would you change Market Lane?

A.-I would turn the Lane itself into a bit more of a destination. A grander entrance on Dundas with vibrant lighting and large Market Lane signage. Give it an outdoor atrium feeling with a strong presence on Dundas.

-Add food vendors and allow street performing in the Lane to help draw people in off of Dundas.

-Team up with The MET to incorporate both sides of Dundas.

-Explore options with Fanshawe about developing a cafe that opens into the Lane.
I agree. Market Lane, to me, is an underutilized asset in the downtown that could be used for food stands, fruit and vegetable stands, flower stands, and so forth. It would be too difficult to make it pedestrian only however, since it is used by delivery trucks to the Covent Garden Market.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:26 PM
User Registered

I say make it a naked street.

Market Lane is a good candidate for it. If it succeeds, perhaps we can also do that to Talbot Street in front of the Market and Dundas downtown.

My Simcity Stuff

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues