HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 12:43 PM

OK, thanks for the advice!
Cox & Palmer building:

Fisheries Building:

Wellness Centre:

High School:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 6:23 PM

Hey! pei_guy,

Way to go! Thanks for the nice pics. Nice to see the building taking place in "Montague the Beautiful".

Oh! by the way. If you ever find your pics a little to big, and I find these are a good size, but if it's huge and you want to
downsize the images, download EZThumbs.

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

It's easy to use and it's free!! Gotta like that!
I use it all the time.

I don't know what your using now but the thing I like about EZThumbs is you can do a batch resize. Slick!

I also use Paint Shop Pro or if I can't use either, I will use Outlook Express and email them to myself.

Last edited by braymondg; Feb 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 7:37 PM

Thanks braymondg! A few days ago, I found this on the APM website. It's a planned office building for Water street, next to Founders' Hall:

I think it will look great. Pretty modern, but it will be good to have that on the waterfront. I hope they can make it a bit taller before they get permission from city council. 5 stories with that design would impact the skyline, but it would be even better if it was 8 stories or something.

Last edited by pei guy; Feb 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei guy View Post
Thanks braymondg! A few days ago, I found this on the APM website. It's a planned office building for Water street, next to Founders' Hall:

I think it will look great. Pretty modern, but it will be good to have that on the waterfront. I hope they can make it a bit taller before they get permission from city council. 5 stories with that design would impact the skyline, but it would be even better if it was 8 stories or something.
I believe that this was the original location that they wanted to build the APM office building. I don't think that building is going to get built anymore. Tim Banks is pretty good for building stuff ASAP (See new hotel downtown)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:29 PM

pei_guy,

your welcome

and

I think josh_cat_eyes is right. The citizens of the Water street area put up a big stink about this building, so Mr. Banks had to find an alternate location. To blow off some steam and to spend that money that was burning a hole in his pocket, he built the APM building on Lwr Malpeque Rd next to the Hyundai dealership.
Now, I don't know if this is the building he intended for his new APM offices, which was supposed to be the building on Water St, but your right about it being a sharp building, and if it was 10 stories it would look like a nice one indeed. pity!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 12:03 AM

pei_guy,

Here is the building I was referring too.

However, the building has several tenants and I don't think this was intended to be the new APM offices. There are 150 DVA employees, RCMP and Provincial IT workers located here.
So I think the actual HQ for APM has yet to be built.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 12:03 AM

CHARLOTTETOWN, and most of the Island, is now on Google Maps Streetview. Try it!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...58.01,,0,-5.92

Last edited by braymondg; Feb 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
pei_guy,

Here is the building I was referring too.

However, the building has several tenants and I don't think this was intended to be the new APM offices. There are 150 DVA employees, RCMP and Provincial IT workers located here.
So I think the actual HQ for APM has yet to be built.

I didn't think the Lower Malpeque building was all their employees. The giant APM sign makes that very clear. I wonder where they'll build the HQ... that will be another project soon enough. I think the old Dominion building on Queen street (if renovated big-time) would make a good spot. But knowing them, it will be built on land that APM owns.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei guy View Post
I didn't think the Lower Malpeque building was all their employees. The giant APM sign makes that very clear. I wonder where they'll build the HQ... that will be another project soon enough. I think the old Dominion building on Queen street (if renovated big-time) would make a good spot. But knowing them, it will be built on land that APM owns.
I thought that it was the HQ...but don't they just have like regional offices instead...?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 6:43 PM

josh_cats_eyes,

I work within close proximity to this building. I know a few IT friends who work there, and they said the building has a lot of DVA
(150 employees), RCMP and their IT departments in the building. Ya know, this very well could then be a regional office, and thats all it would be considering the room that would be left for APM. I could be wrong, but they say it's is crammed to the limits. That's certainly evident with the amount of cars in the parking lot in the morning.

I'll try to find out more.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 2:32 AM

Josh_cat_eyes,

I was right on the DVA and others. In fact, I always thought the building would be used exclusively for APM but that wasn't to be the case.

Here is exerpt from The Guardian, http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=60428&sc=98
The Guardian has learned Veterans Affairs will relocate its information technology division from the Daniel J. MacDonald Building on Grafton Street to a new, three-and-a-half storey office building to be built in West Royalty. Up to 150 people could be relocated.
Another 50 workers in the record's division are also being moved.
Along with the RCMP and provincial workers it wouldn't leave APM much room for a regional office. Maybe they don't need much room but I don't see any indication they will be building a new building for an exclusive regional office any time soon.

Case closed, lol.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 1:07 AM
The good old days are now

I don't see this suburban sprawl as a good thing. Charlottetown should be trying to keep as many people as possible working downtown.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 1:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I don't see this suburban sprawl as a good thing. Charlottetown should be trying to keep as many people as possible working downtown.
Yes, don't catch the Moncton disease.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 2:56 AM

Haha! I hope not. But with all the new construction downtown, one office building in West Royalty probably won't change much. We should still be careful though, with retail development on University Ave from downtown all the way to Winsloe.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 8:09 PM

I thought that now would be a good time to make a compilation of all the construction or planned buildings in Charlottetown. Here goes:
-10-storey Homburg hotel
-8-storey Fitzroy office building (opening any week now)
-3-storey Queen street townhouses (almost done)
-5-storey Richmond / Rochford street condos
-3-storey waterfront condos
-6-storey APM hotel/condos
-Holland College: Centre for Applied Sciences & Technology (5 stories), Glendenning Hall (3 stories), Centre for Community Engagement (2 stories, and if you're wondering it's a gym/athletics building)
-QEH expansion
-New shopping centre
-New Shoppers Drug Mart downtown
-Hillsborough Park condos
-Roundabouts/highway expansion
Any others?

Last edited by pei guy; Feb 24, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 7:32 PM

Riverside Drive plans unveiled

The Guardian

Plans for Riverside Drive in Charlottetown include four lanes, two modern roundabouts, a median along the whole length, no bicycles and uncertainly about a sidewalk, a public meeting heard Tuesday.

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal hosted the open meeting in Charlottetown to show plans for the proposed $5 million project.
Funding will be shared with the federal government with the hope that ground will be broken in May with work completed by Dec. 31 this year.
Riverside Drive runs from the west end of the Hillsborough Bridge along the water’s edge to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. It is part of the perimeter highway.
From the Sears intersection to the QEH the perimeter highway is now four lanes. This next phase completes that pattern to the bridge, says the department.
It decided that circular intersections are the best and safest option for roads that intersect Riverside Drive. The department does not like the term rotary intersection.
“A modern roundabout is different from a rotary,” said Darrell Evans with the provincial department.
These roundabouts will be two lanes and be some 60 meters in diameter, compared with the smaller roundabout in Summerside.
A roundabout reduces the opportunities for collision compared to a traffic-lighted intersection, said Evans. Any accidents that do happen are much less severe on a roundabout compared to traffic-light intersections, he said.
The province will purchase land wide enough to allow for sidewalks and it will drop the curb where pedestrian crossings are planned, but the city will be responsible for installing sidewalks, the meeting was told.
Charlottetown City Councillors Mitchell Tweel, Danny Redmond and Melissa Hilton were at the meeting but said funding for this sidewalk project is a matter for upcoming discussion at council.
A source at the meeting who asked not to be named said a sidewalk project for Riverside drive would likely cost about $250,000 and that federal programs are either closed or not available for projects that begin this summer.
No one at the meeting could say why the city was not running parallel applications for federal sidewalk funding to match the timeline of the Riverside Drive upgrade.
Redmond said the sidewalk should go ahead even without federal help. He and the other city councillors again stressed that the city’s budget process is still underway and Redmond is confident money for the sidewalk will be found.
“I agree 100 percent with the city councillors that the sidewalk is a great idea,” said cabinet minister Richard Brown, MLA for part of the Riverside Drive area. “I’m willing to work with the city in any way I can.”
Bicycling will not be in the picture for the road.
“Typically we don’t think cyclists should navigate roundabouts,” said Evans.
Not welcome on the four-lane road and not permitted on sidewalks, no other provisions for cyclists have been made.
“Unfortunately we are somewhat constrained in terms of land,” said Evans.
For businesses the roundabout offers an option not available with traffic lights.
It would not be safe for cars to try and turn left across two or three lanes of traffic into or out of a business, said Evans.
With a roundabout, vehicles can go past the destination, travel around the full circle of the next roundabout to end up driving on the opposite side of the median with a safe right turn into the business.
The roundabouts are now planned for just a bit south of the present intersection with Exhibition Drive, and a new configuration by the waste plant.
Garfield will be closed off but Walker Drive will be extended between the medial clinic and the liquor commission warehouse. Walker drive extension will become the new intersection wit Riverside Drive, lined up with the entrance to the waste plant.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 1:09 AM

pei_guy,

A couple of more come to mind,

The BioScience Park to be built on the Upton property and the new Prince Edward Home at Beach Grove.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 2:31 AM

Yeah, i forgot about those. The bioscience park will be great for that area of the city! I hope if it will have some interesting buildings...
Good to hear about the Riverside drive update, but I don't know if those roundabouts be too close together? Otherwise it sounds good.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Riverside Drive plans unveiled

The Guardian

Plans for Riverside Drive in Charlottetown include four lanes, two modern roundabouts, a median along the whole length, no bicycles and uncertainly about a sidewalk, a public meeting heard Tuesday.

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal hosted the open meeting in Charlottetown to show plans for the proposed $5 million project.
Funding will be shared with the federal government with the hope that ground will be broken in May with work completed by Dec. 31 this year.
Riverside Drive runs from the west end of the Hillsborough Bridge along the water’s edge to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. It is part of the perimeter highway.
From the Sears intersection to the QEH the perimeter highway is now four lanes. This next phase completes that pattern to the bridge, says the department.
It decided that circular intersections are the best and safest option for roads that intersect Riverside Drive. The department does not like the term rotary intersection.
“A modern roundabout is different from a rotary,” said Darrell Evans with the provincial department.
These roundabouts will be two lanes and be some 60 meters in diameter, compared with the smaller roundabout in Summerside.
A roundabout reduces the opportunities for collision compared to a traffic-lighted intersection, said Evans. Any accidents that do happen are much less severe on a roundabout compared to traffic-light intersections, he said.
The province will purchase land wide enough to allow for sidewalks and it will drop the curb where pedestrian crossings are planned, but the city will be responsible for installing sidewalks, the meeting was told.
Charlottetown City Councillors Mitchell Tweel, Danny Redmond and Melissa Hilton were at the meeting but said funding for this sidewalk project is a matter for upcoming discussion at council.
A source at the meeting who asked not to be named said a sidewalk project for Riverside drive would likely cost about $250,000 and that federal programs are either closed or not available for projects that begin this summer.
No one at the meeting could say why the city was not running parallel applications for federal sidewalk funding to match the timeline of the Riverside Drive upgrade.
Redmond said the sidewalk should go ahead even without federal help. He and the other city councillors again stressed that the city’s budget process is still underway and Redmond is confident money for the sidewalk will be found.
“I agree 100 percent with the city councillors that the sidewalk is a great idea,” said cabinet minister Richard Brown, MLA for part of the Riverside Drive area. “I’m willing to work with the city in any way I can.”
Bicycling will not be in the picture for the road.
“Typically we don’t think cyclists should navigate roundabouts,” said Evans.
Not welcome on the four-lane road and not permitted on sidewalks, no other provisions for cyclists have been made.
“Unfortunately we are somewhat constrained in terms of land,” said Evans.
For businesses the roundabout offers an option not available with traffic lights.
It would not be safe for cars to try and turn left across two or three lanes of traffic into or out of a business, said Evans.
With a roundabout, vehicles can go past the destination, travel around the full circle of the next roundabout to end up driving on the opposite side of the median with a safe right turn into the business.
The roundabouts are now planned for just a bit south of the present intersection with Exhibition Drive, and a new configuration by the waste plant.
Garfield will be closed off but Walker Drive will be extended between the medial clinic and the liquor commission warehouse. Walker drive extension will become the new intersection wit Riverside Drive, lined up with the entrance to the waste plant.

I love it!!! I never thought I'd like it, but the thing the entire Charlottetown bypass needs is a median along the whole length of it. The area from the traffic lights at st.Peters Road to the overpass is divided and it actually becomes the first "4 lane divided highway" in PEI history. It makes me mad that they didn't keep it divided.

Also in terms of having roundabouts, they should add another one at the current set of lights at the bridge. Also, putting a median on the bridge would be a nice addition as well. Looking back, I'm not kind of thinking they should have put one at "Peter Pan" rather that a set of lights. They could have used the median too because like the article stated, you can pass the destination and then go around onto the other side of the median at the roundabout.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 3:01 PM

josh_ca_eyes,

I agree that they should have done the Peter Pan corner better with a large roundabout. But the lights are there, and it obviously will be there for awhile, unfortunately. One big thing that I really think is lacking here in Charlottetown is adaquate signage. There are no large overhead signs to tell you where to go. Not that I need to be told where to go (lol) but if your someone from away it's a nightmare. Not everyone has GPS in their cars.

Prime example, North River Causeway coming into Charlottetown. There are six small signs telling you that the bypass, Charlottetown, Stratford, etc are ahead. This is a 4 lane highway and really who has time to read them all. Another is the Peter Pan intersection. Heading towards the city centre. There is a smal 24"x24" sign telling you the right lane to Charlottetown city centre, in fact it says "University Ave". How many times have I seen out of province cars turn right at the lights when they are supposed to use the merge lane before the intersection. That's because they missed the sign.
I can think of multiple places that require overhead signs. Is it because of funding or is it just poor planning, or what?
Go to Summerside and they have wonderful overhead signs telling you where to go, all over the place, and they don't have 1/5th the traffic we have. I hope this soon changes. As a tourist it must be confusing.

With all these ideas of roundabouts and road improvements in Charlottetown they had better make it easy to know where you are going or else you will driving around in circles for awhile.
All I'm really saying is, in all my travels, throughout Canada and the US, Charlottetown has the worst signage anywhere. I believe most would agree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces