HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 2:07 AM

Here is a 'noir' mystery photograph. The only information is the date, 1957.

unknown

Missing image. I'll try and find it again

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:20 PM

ethereal--I am reminded of The Exiles. The scene below, near the end of the film, was apparently shot in Elysian Park. While I've driven around some of the winding streets of Silver Lake, I really don't remember if any of them are high enough over the flats to be a possibility here, but my first thought on seeing your pic is that it is a shot west from one of those streets--maybe that's Franklin in the center, Los Feliz diagonally off to the right. Just a guess... maybe it's a clip from an actual noir that someone out there in the dark will identify immediately....

Kent McKenzie/exilesfilm.com

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 3:25 PM

I thought I had found the photo in the usc archives.
Yesterday, before I posted it, I tried to find it again in the archive but to no avail.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out the location...so I'm glad you suggested Silver Lake/Echo Park area.
I think you're probably correct.

That said, I'm pretty sure it isn't a clip from a film noir.
I vaguely remember the man in the photo is a reporter.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:37 PM

More Marion Parker

ERBzine
A key scene of the crime: The Bellevue Arms, 1170 Bellevue Avenue, 1927

ERBzine
In 2006: Accordong to the ERBzine website, "...Hickman's bathroom
window is the smallest window on the top to the upper left of
the stone arch. (Dark, with a little white rectangle within the
upper half). His livingroom is hidden by the exterior of the left side
of the building."

Google Street View
Now, undergoing condoization

I've read Michael Newton's Stolen Away on sopas's recommendation, and besides covering the Marion Parker kidnapping/murder and trial in detail, it also does an superb job of evoking '20s Los Angeles--the way the city moved then, the daily lives of people, the policing, the politics. The city seems motorized and modern, sunny and progressive, while at the same time dark and evil--no less than noirish.

I've also come across a few interesting websites with more details of the case, including the curious presence of Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan and Tarzana) in the story: http://www.erbzine.com/mag17/1767.html

A little more:
http://www.insroland.org/taxonomy/term/128

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 15, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:37 PM

"An Architect Recalled"

LAPL

I don't think I knew until this morning that much of Paul Revere Williams's office archives was lost in the 1992 riots:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/ar...ef=todayspaper (scroll down to "an Architect Recalled")

Among Williams's 3000 works:

LAPL
E. L. Cord house, Bevery Hills, 1933

you-are-here.com
Golden State Mutual Life Building (1948), 1999 West Adams Boulevard

paulwilliamsproject.org
Williams's 1955 rendition of Perino's dining room

L.A. Times
Dr. V.M. Pierce (not Veda) house, 200 Fern Drive, Pasadena

L.A. Curbed
332 S. McCadden Place, 1931

LAPL

Big Orange Landmarks
Williams's own house, 1690 S. Victoria, Lafayette Square

More here:
http://www.paulrwilliamsproject.org/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Cooper, Lynch and Kurtz: West Adams/Bison Archives
Cooper, Lynch and Kurtz: West Adams/Bison Archives
900 West Adams, ca. 1940. The pictures above were taken a
few years before The Curse of the Cat People was filmed.

I finally had the chance to watch The Curse of the Cat People again. When I've seen it before I didn't know that Mrs. Farren's house once stood at 900 West Adams, which gsjansen, JeffDiego, myself and maybe others have written of here previously. The film is actually much more interesting than I remembered it, and not just because of the house. But for the purposes of this forum I'll talk about the spooky old Waters/Farren place... here are a couple of obsessive observations. As Amy is following her friends around the Adams/Portland corner of the house in one particularly evocative scene, there is a terrific sense if Victorian West Adams--the great stone and iron fence that JeffDiego mentioned, the brooding turretted house, the lush vegetation. In the movie, trailing potted plants cover the "900" inscribed on each gatepost (probably on purpose--although the street number is seen above the door; see pics here), and you can see the adjacent Christian Science church's balustrade in these scenes, still there today. There are other quick exterior establishing shots of the house that look more like a painting that is only a close approximation of the real house. Closeups of the real front door are seen, with characters entering the actual house, though interiors are apparently studio sets--decorators did a good job of replicating most of the details of the actual house's front doors on these sets. JeffDiego mentioned that he thought the scenes of the unseen Mrs. Farren talking to Amy from a high window appear to have been filmed at another location-- this definitely looks to me to have been the carriage house (which still stands) right behind the main house. What you can see of the carriage house and its small tower in the movie match what is visible from the street--at least in Google Street View shots, that is (see prior posts of the carriage house, which also show remnants of the stone-and-iron fence). OK--this is probably way more detail than you ever wanted to know about The Curse of the Cat People, but I think its 1944 release date and mysterious look and feel, and the starring role of a great old L.A. house (even if it's supposed to be in Tarrytown, N.Y.), make it part of noir-era Los Angeles if not really noir is the usual sense. Btw--I wonder if the producers of The Addams Family remembered Curse when they were searching for a "haunted" house for the '60s tv series, but, finding 900 West Adams gone, then discovered 21 Chester Place?

American Film Institute
Mrs. Farren entertaining Amy at home. Notice the cat eating the canary.
Savored every word of your musings on "The Curse of the Cat People," GW.
And...your talent for finding these amazing photos.
Very interesting that you are familiar enough with the remaining carriage house at 900 West Adams to identify it as the likely location of the mysterious tower window in the movie.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Savored every word of your musings on "The Curse of the Cat People," GW.
And...your talent for finding these amazing photos.
Very interesting that you are familiar enough with the remaining carriage house at 900 West Adams to identify it as the likely location of the mysterious tower window in the movie.
Incidentally, I meant to ask if anyone knows the identity/location of the Victorian mansion with massive twin Palm Trees in the original William Castle movie "13 Ghosts?"
I checked out the trailer on youtube, and there is close-up panning shot of the front of the Waters house! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smki4...eature=related If this link doesn't work, go to youtube and type in 13 ghosts (1960) trailer.
Hoever, my memory of full-view shots of the house in Castle's film are that is was not the Waters home.
Finally, there is an old castle-like house, supposed to be in the Hollywood Hills, that is a centerpiece of a fun 1965 movie called "Two on a Guillotine," recently released on DVD. The house is actually called Benedict Castle and is in Riverside, Ca.
http://heartbookseries.com/wp-conten...Castle%203.jpg

Last edited by JeffDiego; Oct 23, 2010 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 6:28 PM

Jeff: I will have to check out 13 Ghosts to see if we can find the other house in the movie--but that is indeed the Waters house in the Youtube clip. Another spooky appearance in the clip is none other than the Wicked Witch herself, Margaret Hamilton. She appears for a second--wasn't sure at first, but I checked the cast and yep, she's one of the stars. In fact, she may be the biggest, though also starring are Martin Milner, who was doing Route 66 on tv that same year, and Rosemary DeCamp--who I was familiar enough with growing up but have no idea now if she was in movies or was a singer or what. Anyway, quite a mixed bag of players in 13 Ghosts! As for the Waters carriage house--the vents in the tower are a big clue--I think it was filmed in Curse with the camera low to the ground to give it some height, since the rear building was quite a bit shorter than the main house.

PS Now you've got me wondering when the Waters house was demolished--for some reason I assumed it was in the '40s, when so many Victorians went, but if 13 Ghosts was shot in '59 or '60... of course maybe the footage in the Youtube clip was old...

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Oct 23, 2010 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 8:07 PM

Do either of you know any details of a castle-like house above Sunset somewhere in the vicinity of Sweetzer?
I believe it's still there although hidden by trees and bushes.

OK....I just found some information.

I just googled sweetzer and castle and found this link.
http://movieland.wordpress.com/2007/...aculas-castle/

The photos are terrible.
Do you have any photos of this house GW?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 9:02 PM

ethereal--

I'm really not familiar with this house--no pics in turn up in a quick search of the usual databanks, but I did see this one (with plenty of info) on the 1947project site:

1947project

http://1947project.blogspot.com/2006...ue-to-day.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Do either of you know any details of a castle-like house above Sunset somewhere in the vicinity of Sweetzer?
I believe it's still there although hidden by trees and bushes.

OK....I just found some information.

I just googled sweetzer and castle and found this link.
http://movieland.wordpress.com/2007/...aculas-castle/

The photos are terrible.
Do you have any photos of this house GW?
Richard Lamparski, author of the famous "Whatever Became of?" books and super-authority on old Hollywood, devotes a page in his book "Lamparski's Hidden Hollywood" to "The Castle of the Fairy Lady," which was the name given to the house (originally called Mount Kalmia) by its owner, Mrs. Hersee Moody Carson. She was a devout Christian who held large parties at her house for children, mostly orphans and cripples, and they referred to her as The Fairy Lady. The dessert at these parties was always a huge angel-food cake shaped and decorated as the Holy Bible.
There is an excellent photo of the house in 1940 in Lamparski's book.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Jeff: I will have to check out 13 Ghosts to see if we can find the other house in the movie--but that is indeed the Waters house in the Youtube clip. Another spooky appearance in the clip is none other than the Wicked Witch herself, Margaret Hamilton. She appears for a second--wasn't sure at first, but I checked the cast and yep, she's one of the stars. In fact, she may be the biggest, though also starring are Martin Milner, who was doing Route 66 on tv that same year, and Rosemary DeCamp--who I was familiar enough with growing up but have no idea now if she was in movies or was a singer or what. Anyway, quite a mixed bag of players in 13 Ghosts! As for the Waters carriage house--the vents in the tower are a big clue--I think it was filmed in Curse with the camera low to the ground to give it some height, since the rear building was quite a bit shorter than the main house.

PS Now you've got me wondering when the Waters house was demolished--for some reason I assumed it was in the '40s, when so many Victorians went, but if 13 Ghosts was shot in '59 or '60... of course maybe the footage in the Youtube clip was old...
GW: I SEEM to remember reading somewhere that the Waters house was demolished in the 60's. That footage in the 13 Ghosts trailer is so crisp that it certainly looks as though it was made at the time, 1959/60. It doesn't look like old or stock footage.You can clearly see part of the enormous ivy-shrouded Canary Palm trunk that is seen glancingly in "Curse of the Cat People." It is an incredibly atmospheric-looking house.
I'll be fascinated if you or someone can identify that house in the full-length movie. At an IMDB message board for 13 Ghosts, people ask where the house was. Two posters guess the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, which I hugely doubt, and one guy states very authoritatively that "hundreds" of houses like it (19th Century Victorian mansions) are to be found in Laurel Canyon! Sounds as though he hasn't even been to Los Angeles.
Rosemary DeCamp was one of the busiest character actresses of the 40's, mostly at Warner Brothers. She was in "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and played a bitchy role as a San Francisco housewife in a film noir entitled "Nora Prentiss" with Ann Sheridan that was a box-office hit in 1947. Most people remember her from 50's TV sitcoms.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Richard Lamparski, author of the famous "Whatever Became of?" books and super-authority on old Hollywood, devotes a page in his book "Lamparski's Hidden Hollywood" to "The Castle of the Fairy Lady," which was the name given to the house (originally called Mount Kalmia) by its owner, Mrs. Hersee Moody Carson. She was a devout Christian who held large parties at her house for children, mostly orphans and cripples, and they referred to her as The Fairy Lady. The dessert at these parties was always a huge angel-food cake shaped and decorated as the Holy Bible.
There is an excellent photo of the house in 1940 in Lamparski's book.
Thanks for the info guys.
I'll have to find Lamparski's book and check out the photo of the house.

With its unique history and interesting architecture, not to mention its ideal location,
this place would make a great boutique hotel ala Chateau Marmont.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 12:01 AM
Ex Houstonian

In the first couple minutes of this clip from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, does that line still exist or those rail cars? I dont know if that was even filmed in LA. Ever since I watched that film when I was a little kid I fell in love with trollies and public rail transit.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 1:14 AM

threestooges.net

Crackle
That's Curly pushing.

I suppose if anything cinematic is the opposite of noir, it's the Three Stooges, but at least the time period is the same.... I don't think I've seen a Stooges episode in decades, but the other day one I remembered in particular from childhood turned up on tv as I was flipping channels (who says there's nothing on tv?), right at a point showing a great-looking Colonial house, complete with street number above the door. It was clearly shot on location. Well, I knew the house had to be in L.A. -- though the streetlamps in the scene I associated more with Pasadena (smallish single round globe). Right after seeing the Stooges I happened to be looking at the Windsor Square Overlay Zone page of the city's Office of Historic Resources (http://www.preservation.lacity.org/h...windsor-square) and what do I see but a small picture of a familiar Colonial house... and knowing the north-south streets of Windsor Square fairly well, I began Googling for Dollars. On the third try combining "111" with one of the streets--eureka--I found the house, still looking great at 111 S. Norton. Then it occurred to me that I might find the 1938 Stooges episode in question, called Mutts to You (the boys own a dog-washing parlor and find a baby in front of 111 S. Norton, etc etc), online, and sure enough, you can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-dWBHBXBjU. Turns out I didn't need to search for the house on Google at all--the baby's mother clearly orders a cabdriver to take her home to "111 S. Norton." Here's the house now:

Google Street View

The brick stairs and walk at 111 are the same, as is the palm at right.
As for the streetlamps on Norton--the round globes have now been replaced with
the more familiar urn-shaped units that I have always associated with Los Angeles.

threestooges.net
Moe and Larry across the street from 111 S. Norton, in front of
this house:

Google Street View

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Oct 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 1:43 AM

photolitherland, here is a link to the history of the Pacific Electric Railway (the Red Car line).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric_Railway

Below are various photos from the railways twilight years (1953).
The location for this photo is east of Crenshaw on Exposition Blvd.
(notice the Barnum & Bailey rail car)

gokhan/transittalk

Below: At Ocean Park near the end of the Santa Monica Air Line.

gokhan/transittalk

Below: P.E. car in the Northvale Road Trench, going west toward Overland Ave. in 1953.
(it's really fun to find these locations on a contemporary map)

gokhan/transittalk

The other major transit was the Los Angeles Railway (LARy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Railway

Below: A yellow and green LARY car southbound on Crenshaw Blvd in 1954.

Gokhan/transittalk

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:11 AM

Yesterday, I came across these three photos for sale on ebay.
The first one is especially great.

ebay

ebay

ebay

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 25, 2010 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:16 AM

Here is a great looking place for the auto tourist (very symmetrical).

peBay / postcard
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 6, 2015 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:26 AM

Some great kodachrome slides of the cabanas and pool area of the Roosevelt Hotel from 1956.

electrospark

electrospark

electrospark

electrospark

Below: The view north toward the Hollywood Hills.

electrospark

When I lived in L.A. one of my favorite buildings was the Garden Court Apartments (the white building on the left in this photograph)
I remember parking in front of it one night. It was vacant except for squatters (I remember seeing candles inside)
It was torn down quite some time ago.

This is where I found the photos.
http://electrospark.blogspot.com/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 22, 2017 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Yesterday, I came across these three photos for sale on ebay.
The first one is especially great.

ebay

ebay

ebay
Yes ER, excellent photos. You surely recognize the first one as showing a parking lot (!!) on the site of the former Hotel Elmar. I recognized the scene because I have a wonderful large framed photo in my bedroom of this incredibly evocative Bunker Hill shot from the LA Library collection:
http://jpg2.lapl.org/spnb1/00017264.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos