HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 4:15 AM

MikeD your post piqued my interest.

It seems Marguerite Chapman was somewhat of a sci-fi darling in the 1950s.

columbia

columbia

columbia

Much to my surprise Ms. Chapman has a star on Hollywood Boulevard.

below: The initial post of Marguerite Chapman's DUI in 1958.

uscdl

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 13, 2011 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 4:59 AM

One last post on Ms. Chapman.

Marguerite Chapman was Tom Ewell's secretary in the Marilyn Monroe comedy "The Seven Year Itch".

20th Century Fox

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 5:48 AM

The very early days of Century City.

postcard/ebay

below: The Century Plaza Hotel stands alone.

pc

pc

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 14, 2011 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 5:51 AM

A 1970 model of Century City.

uscdl

below: A proposed theme tower for Century City, circa 1963.

unknown

below: An offshore proposal called Santa Monica Bay Village, circa 1968

unknown

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 4:58 PM

Chaplin Studios

Hi, been loving this thread immensely for weeks, and although this posting is months after the question was posed, I just had to answer about the Chaplin Studios.

On the south east corner of Sunset and La Brea, where there is a Carl's Junior now, this used to be where the soundstages were. I've seen old photos, they were like big white tents, made of canvas and lumber.

Further south on La Brea, there is the structure you're referring to. Chaplin spent a lot of time here, made a lot of his most well-known films. There is a reproduction of this property in the film Chaplin. There were more permanent soundstages constructed later around this quaint little "village" that are still in use today.

Check this out for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chaplin_Studios

Little known fact, if you go around the southern perimeter of the property line, Chaplin's footprints are in the cement! Not sure if I read this, or just found it myself years ago. The guy had very small feet.

Can't believe of all the noir, I finally commented on something that was probably already discussed at length having to do with nothing at all noirish. Well, if anyone is interested, James Ellroy will be at a WritersBloc event on May 24 in Beverly Hills. How's that for noir? You can RSVP by going to reservations@writersblocpresents.com.

My pop was a homicide detective for LA County, and actually worked with Ellroy on his nonfiction book about the Dahlia and his own mother who was killed in an unincorporated area of El Monte. The bureau basically let him hang out in the cold case room in the bureau's headquarters in a commercial district in Commerce (after The Hall of Justice was condemned). I was able to get all my hardcovers signed, and eventually got to meet him - I was already a huge fan. Usually after these speaking engagements, he hangs around and he's always up for a chat. Just throwing that out there for all you like-minded noir fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Fascinating photos of The Garden of Allah , and Nazimovoa. Speaking of unusual, long-gone apartment complexes that I don't believe have been featured here, a pal who lived in West Hollywood in the 50's says that there was a very large complex of stage-set like French cottage-style apartments, probably built in the twenties which may have been called Normandy Village. (Similar in architectural style to the small and still-standing "French Village Apartments" located in a quiet residential area of Hollywood, supposedly having a connection to Charlie Chaplin).I believe it fronted on the Sunset Strip and was a block square in size. I came across a photo of it on the LA Times a few years ago. Lots of peaked roofs and picturesque stairways. Anyone have photos or info?
A tidbit of gossip (my pal is probably the world's expert on old Hollywood and forgotten celebrities; he wrote many books on the subject) is that among the residents there was Harald Ramand (also known as Harald Maresch, originally from Vienna), the man who got Lupe Velez pregnant before she committed suicide in 1944 (he was blamed and it ruined his budding movie career). He lived at the complex with a gay lover.

Last edited by Wanderer239; May 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Trying to add picture.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The very early days of Century City.

postcard/ebay

below: The Century Plaza Hotel.

pc

pc
1959 west los angeles citizen article on the ground breaking for century city

Source: LAPL California index

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 6:28 PM

clifton's cafeteria brochures

Source: LAPL California Index

Source: LAPL California Index

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have a pretty good brain for useless stuff like that. My explanation for recognizing her name from the Charlie Chan credits is probably this; back in the early days of cable, one of the out of town channels (from Boston) used to have a 'mystery theater' late Friday nights. I'd drag myself in, turn on the tube, watch the credits and fall asleep. I don't think I ever saw a whole Charlie Chan or Mr Moto back in those days.
Hi Mike:
The picture was "Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum" (1940). Marguerite Chapman's real heyday was the early and mid 40's when she was one of Columbia Picture's lineup of B movie beauties, along with Jinx Falkenburg, Nina Foch, Evelyn Keyes etc. She was busy and frequently in movie magazines then.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
1959 west los angeles citizen article on the ground breaking for century city

Source: LAPL California index
Look at the date. Sort of blows a hole in the urban legend that Fox had to sell the land for CC thanks to its budget problems following "Cleopatra".

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 10:08 PM

now here's something you don't see every day, (at least not in gsjansen's neck o' the woods)

the 1958 bra and lamp show.....(okey dokey, that's what the captions says)

Source: USC Digital Archive

Model Marcia Drake, in low back nylon lace and dracon alastic 'deep plunge' brassiere, and metallic thread rayon panties 'stepping into' a provincial 'ballerina skirt' lamp shade

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:06 AM

Anaheim's Lost History

Really appreciate the scoop on The Crown - I live/work about 5 minutes away near City Hall. The small downtown area here was decimated sometime in the 60's, I believe. If I could figure out how, I would post some pics.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
You're welcome!

I first started looking into the "Los Angeles Street Diagonal" a couple of years ago actually. That was when I first downloaded the map and the flood pics.

The street is relatively wide (enough for two lanes of traffic in both directions) but rarely used. (Note there are no cars parked on the street in the current Crown photos.) Plus parts of the street still retain their original concrete surface - had not been asphalted over like most.

"There's something going on here!" I said to myself........

...sure enough..... piece of forgotten Anaheim history.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 1:08 AM

The article on Century City reminded me of this spot. It is the old gate to 20th Century Fox.

I can't figure out how to post a picture off of Google Maps but if you search for Tennessee Ave and Fox Hills Drive and then head east on Tennessee you will hit the old gate. Unfortunately the shot is bleached out by the sun. I have a picture I took somewhere in the archives but not sure what year I took it so can't find it. I think it's kinda neat having that gate on the block but probably not appreciated by anybody who lives there.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer239 View Post
............If I could figure out how, I would post some pics.
to post photos, you 1st need to upload them to a photo sharing site such as flickr.

once the photos are uploaded to the picture sharing site, when posting a response on the thread, you click the yellow button that looks like a mountain range with the sun in the upper right hand corner. you then enter the url link for the photo, (this is done by right clicking on the photo at the photo sharing site, and select copy image link, and then paste it into the dialog box that comes up when you select the above yellow mountain sun box), and viola! picture is posted.

Quote:

..........I can't figure out how to post a picture off of Google Maps
when viewing googlemaps, you can print the screen by hitting the control button and the print screen button. this will copy the image to the clip board, you can the open a new file in a program such as photoshop, or paint. you would then paste the print screen image into the new file, and then crop it so that only the image is shown. (at least that's how i do it), then you save the photo as a jpeg, and upload it to a photo sharing site, such as flickr, and follow the steps that i outlined above.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer239 View Post
Little known fact, if you go around the southern perimeter of the property line, Chaplin's footprints are in the cement! Not sure if I read this, or just found it myself years ago. The guy had very small feet.
I didn't know that about the footprints....very cool.

below: Cahuenga Boulevard in 1938 with 'The Berries' restaurant/cafe.
The sign says "open all night" and "cocktails". I would love to find out more about this chop house.
Can you imagine the stories the waitresses at "The Berries" could tell.
Married men traversing the pass in the wee hours of the morning with lipstick smudged shirts.

uscdl

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post

when viewing googlemaps, you can print the screen by hitting the control button and the print screen button. this will copy the image to the clip board, you can the open a new file in a program such as photoshop, or paint. you would then paste the print screen image into the new file, and then crop it so that only the image is shown. (at least that's how i do it), then you save the photo as a jpeg, and upload it to a photo sharing site, such as flickr, and follow the steps that i outlined above.
Thanks! I actually did that once to grab a Highway Patrol scene to match up to a picture I took of the tunnel heading up to the Griffith Observatory. I thought for sure there was an easier way than Paint!

Here's the old Fox gate.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 3:47 AM

I've been away from this thread too long! So many great posts!

I don't know if anyone's seen this blurb in the LA Times:

Clicky here:
Interactive 1947 Los Angeles Crime Map

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I actually did that once to grab a Highway Patrol scene to match up to a picture I took of the tunnel heading up to the Griffith Observatory. I thought for sure there was an easier way than Paint!

Here's the old Fox gate.

1934 image looking east across 20th century fox.

fox hills drive runs along the bottom of the photograph, the tennessee avenue gates are just right of center at the bottom of the image

Source: LAPL

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I've been away from this thread too long! So many great posts!

I don't know if anyone's seen this blurb in the LA Times:

Clicky here:
Interactive 1947 Los Angeles Crime Map

I got a kick out of the use of the word "machine" for a car in 1947--but I guess it's a little more modern than "horseless carriage."

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 10:14 PM

a great image looking down broadway showing the old times building, the new times and building and the state building all in one shot.

i'm placing the image as being taken in 1934

Source: LA Times Archive

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 11:41 PM

That is a great photo gsj.
I noticed the building further down the street with the odd angular roof (it resembles a solar panel).
The building almost looks like a homage to the art deco L.A. Times Building with it's small buttress/columns.

LA Times Archive

below: Curious about the building, I looked through some other old photos of the area.

usc digital archive

above: From this different view I can now read what's written above the angled area in gsj's photo.
It says Times Mirror Printing and Binding House.

But why does the angled part of the building now appear in the middle of the roof instead of at the front like in the gsj's photo?
The simple answer would be that the angled area is on a different building BEHIND the white building with the arched windows.
But even this seems wrong when you consider the cross street in the distance

For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos