HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 11:52 PM

The "FI" of KFIs call sign was an abbreviation for "farmers information."

Every winter evening between 1924 and 1956, KFI would deliver a frost report at 8 pm that would tell citrus farmers
whether to turn on wind machines or light "smudge pots" to keep their orange and lemon groves from freezing.
The frost warnings moved to 7 pm until the late 1970s when they were removed from the schedule.

The farmers information explains the bucolic field featured in the beautiful graphic below.

unknown

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:32 AM

Singleton Court lawn.

usc digital archive

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:41 AM

A scene from what looks like the Keystone Kops.

unknown

We've discussed many L.A. residences but I can't place this house.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:45 AM

Very cool pics.

Funny, but I already feel like the USC Archive has added more pics. I've recently done searches that I usually do (like "freeways") and swear that more pictures have popped up that I've never seen before.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 3:45 PM

Happy Thanksgiving from Chief James "two gun" Davis and the Women's Turkey Shoot Club

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics20/00029858.jpg

Photo shows juniors from the Ebell and Friday Morning Clubs at the Los Angeles police pistol range in Elysian Park. The women were practicing for the turkey shoot sponsored by the police department. The events will be held Friday and Saturday before Thanksgiving and the Friday and Saturday before Christmas. Pictured left to right, are Ebell juniors: Mrs. Calvin Wells Day, Mrs. Richard R. Stadelman, Mrs. C. F. Schuessler, Mrs. Robert Hixson, Mrs. LeRoy Powell and Mrs. William B. Krieger; Police Chief James Davis; Friday Morning Club juniors: Mrs. Thomas R. Caffery, Mrs. Hayden Glette, Maxine White, Estell Reuland, Mrs. William Carlson and Mrs. S. W. Salisbury.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 1:44 AM

Two aerials from 1928 showing a brand spanking new City Hall.

usc digital archive

usc digital archive

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 4:44 AM

Cool Pico-Union, 1964

I always wondered exactly where Cornelia Hilyard, the poetess played by Olivia de Havilland in this odd movie, lived. It was clearly filmed in L.A. in one of those parts of town that interest me the most--those neighborhoods of big-gabled houses from, say, Wilton Place east, down as far as West Adams and University Park. I had a feeling it was most likely north of the 10, somewhere around Pico or Venice. I watched the movie again and discovered the number of the featured house--1132--which I'd never noticed and which would in fact put it only a block and a half or so above Pico, it if were, as I suspected, on a north-south thoroughfare. The movie uses not only the front of the house but the back, including the service alley, which indicates a street closer to downtown. Well, I took a look at a Google map for streets with alleys, and after a few tries I found it--1132 S. Lake Street. Lady in a Cage is seen by some as precociously reflective of post JFK-assassination America (it was released in July 1964) and the end of a supposedly orderly country. In terms of L.A., it even seems predictive of the Watts Riots a year away in another hot summer, and even has some characters eerily suggestive of the Manson Family to come. There are shots in the movie reflective of fears of "The Bomb" (military jets in formation overhead) and of urban alienation and violence. (You might say that the film has a "late-noir" aspect.) It is interesting to me that Lake Street in 1964 looks as good as it does--although as you watch more of the movie you can see that it's in a neighborhood beginning to deteriorate. No doubt after her ordeal Mrs. Hilyard sold 1132 and moved west to safer precincts, or maybe to Pasadena (she's that type). Lady in a Cage is sort of a fun if not silly movie, and at the same time disturbing--worth looking at for a glimpse into how downtown L.A. began to crumble in reality. Here are some screenshots of the movie, and their corresponding current views. There is obvious decay and even squalor in this neighborhood now, but also here and there are still-well-maintained sections, and, what has always struck me, seemingly miles and miles of great big pre-Depression houses and apartment buildings. There is still alot of life in these old L.A. houses, even if bars on the windows might be necessary these days.

Olivia in a Cage

Hello young man...

La Sothern behind 1132.

Partial rear view of 1132 S. Lake from Alvarado Street.

North toward buildings at Lake and 11th Street, 1964 and now.
In the movie, an absurd number of cars (the same 20 or so
over and over) stream in both directions on Lake Street, past
dead dogs and drunks, apparently to underscore the frantic pace
of the city and modern life. Yes, it's the Fourth of July weekend,
but you'd think Lake is the only route into and out of L.A.

The end of Caan and the movie.

All black and white photos: Paramount Pictures Corporation

All color photos: Google Street View

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Nov 28, 2010 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 4:51 PM

Wow, great pics, and kudos to finding the house!

I've never seen that film, looks like something I'd enjoy. I should look for it. I mean come on, Ann Sothern, Olivia de Havilland in a cage, a young Jimmy Caan and shots of LA circa 1964? Sounds like a must-see to me. The camp factor also seems pretty high.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 7:49 PM

Excellent post sopas_ej!!

It amazes me that you were able to figure out the location of the house.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 4:01 AM

Alas, it wasn't me but GaylordWilshire. But yeah, isn't that a great post? And, I'm glad he mentioned "Lady in a Cage."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 1:29 PM

Paramount Pictures Corporation
de Havilland survives modern L.A., but Caan falls to a '59 Chevy on Lake Street.

You can watch all of Lady in a Cage (in nine no-ad parts) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGgeG...eature=related

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 4:36 PM

a 1907 view of lake street looking north form 12th towards 11th street

Source: LAPL http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics25/00032255.jpg

The Cornelia Hilyard (olivia de havilland), house from lady in a cage, 1132 lake street is the 1st house on the right.

the unpaved lake street is noticeably lacking in dead dogs, traffic jams, drunks, hookers and psychopaths

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 6:46 PM

Fantastic find, gs--most of the houses in this block are still there, as is, apparently, the palm on the corner at right.

Google Street View

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 7:44 PM

More on Gilfillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Can anyone make out the name on the white streamline building?
The lettering looks interesting; but I can't make it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Pacific Electric Railway Historical Society
1815 Venice Boulevard

The lettering spells GILFILLAN. Gilfillan Brothers was--or rather is--a radio manufacturer that produced units under its own name and for other nameplates such as Packard-Bell. Gilfillan was the licensee to build sets for RCA that were sold in 11 western states until 1940. According to the Radiomuseum website, Gilfillan was selected in 1942 to produce the first Ground Control Approach (GCA) radar. Its systems were used during WWII and were instrumental in the success of the Berlin Airlift. Gilfillan became a division of ITT in 1964 and, according to a recent company profile, is "the number-one supplier of military air traffic control systems worldwide."

ITT Corporation/Images of America: West Adams
This shot appears to be close to the time of the Gilfillan building's completion, since the name has not
yet been applied over the entrance. Judging by the cars, I'd say it's 1935-36-37.

A great example of prospering through diverisification, Gilfillan had quite a history before becoming part of ITT in 1964--it was founded in 1912 as the Gilfillan Brothers Smelting and Refining Company, originally supplying precious metals to various professionals, including dentists and jewelers. Later the company used platinum in the manufacture of automobile ignition components and became the first West Coast maker of Bakelite. I'm not sure when Gilfillan put up its streamline buildings at 1815 Venice Boulevard, but the company was located there as early as 1923, according to the City Directory (Venice was W. 16th Street until 1926; the company's previous plant was downtown at 11th and Wall). By the late '20s, in addition to auto parts, the company was making radios and electric drills. TV manufacture came later, but by the mid-'50s, Gilfillan was a radar-systems maker exclusively.

Above is a great shot of Gilfillan from the air. The curved building at Berendo Street at the extreme right is still there, though heavily remodeled (with its curves, I wonder if it was once part of the Gilfillan complex?), as are a number of houses seen and the church farther north on Berendo. The round building at lower left was originally the Los Angeles Crematory and Columbarium Association. It is now the Chapel of the Pines and holds the remains of some notable Hollywood denizens: Ann Sheridan, Herbert Marshall (The Letter, The Little Foxes), Jay Silverheels (Zorro's special pal, Tonto), Thomas Mitchell (Scarlett's dad and Uncle Billy in It's a Wonderful Life), Edmund Gwenn (Santa in Miracle on 34th Street), and--here's a noir connection!--Maude Fulton, screenwriter of The Maltese Falcon.

Google Street View
Chapel of the Pines, 1605 S. Catalina. That's Rosedale Cemetery behind it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 11:55 PM

^^^Another amazing post GaylordWilshire.
I love the aerial of Gilfillan and the surrounding area.
It's great fun to study these aerial photos....it's almost like exploring.

Plus, I wasn't even aware of the Chapel of the Pines. Out of curiosity I googled it.

Here is a vintage photo of the interior.

eBay

There are some contemporary photos of the interior here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisabur...n/photostream/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 9, 2016 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
This shot appears to be close to the time of the Gilfillan building's completion, since the name has not
yet been applied over the entrance. Judging by the cars, I'd say it's 1935-36-37.

A great example of prospering through diverisification, Gilfillan had quite a history before becoming part of ITT in 1964--it was founded in 1912 as the Gilfillan Brothers Smelting and Refining Company, originally supplying precious metals to various professionals, including dentists and jewelers. Later the company used platinum in the manufacture of automobile ignition components and became the first West Coast maker of Bakelite. I'm not sure when Gilfillan put up its streamline buildings at 1815 Venice Boulevard, but the company was located there as early as 1923, according to the City Directory (Venice was W. 16th Street until 1926; the company's previous plant was downtown at 11th and Wall). By the late '20s, in addition to auto parts, the company was making radios and electric drills. TV manufacture came later, but by the mid-'50s, Gilfillan was a radar-systems maker exclusively.

Above is a great shot of Gilfillan from the air. The curved building at Berendo Street at the extreme right is still there, though heavily remodeled (with its curves, I wonder if it was once part of the Gilfillan complex?), as are a number of houses seen and the church farther north on Berendo. The round building at lower left was originally the Los Angeles Crematory and Columbarium Association. It is now the Chapel of the Pines and holds the remains of some notable Hollywood denizens: Ann Sheridan, Herbert Marshall (The Letter, The Little Foxes), Jay Silverheels (Zorro's special pal, Tonto), Thomas Mitchell (Scarlett's dad and Uncle Billy in It's a Wonderful Life), Edmund Gwenn (Santa in Miracle on 34th Street), and--here's a noir connection!--Maude Fulton, screenwriter of The Maltese Falcon.

Google Street View
Chapel of the Pines, 1605 S. Catalina. That's Rosedale Cemetery behind it.
Thanks for the interesting info. One tiny correction: Jay Silverheels as Tonto was The Lone Ranger's special pal, not Zorro's.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:22 PM

as LAPL and USC Digital Archives have been recently updated, i was kind of hoping that some new photos of Berkeley Square would have come to light.......alas GW, no such luck . however, my attention has been drawn to another west adams gated private enclave which still exists, (well kinda sorta).

Chester Place - a street running north south between west adams boulevard and west 23rd street between figueroa on the east and scarff street on the west

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026849.jpg

The foundation for the creation of Chester Place started with a Los Angeles land survey conducted in 1853 by New Hampshire lawyer Henry Hancock. Hancock surveyed the lots near present day Downtown Los Angeles based on the dirt road boulevards that ran east to west across the city. Between each of these boulevards land was separated into large 35-acre lots to be sold. In 1855 Hancock eventually bought one of the best lots, which was to later become Chester Place.

Hancock sold this lot that would become Chester place on July 26, 1867 to a group of buyers, one of whom was the New England sea captain Nathan Vail, who purchased 17 acres right north of Adams Boulevard. Around this same time, the city brought irrigation canals to the area. This irrigation canal, or a zanja as the Mexican settlers called it, increased the land value of the area, which was directly related to the availability of water. South of Adams and Chester Place a new Agricultural park was also growing, which became known for horse racing, gambling, and entertainment. With a new streetcar line extended from historic Downtown in 1874 along Washington and Figueroa, this meant that the Agricultural Park area had easy transportation to the hub of the city. Agricultural Park would later be renamed Exposition Park when it was incorporated into city limits and was the site of the 1932 and 1984 Summer Olympics.

Nathan Vail had become involved in a number of real estate speculations during the early 1880s, and eventually sold his personal lot north of Adams to Arizona Federal Judge Charles Silent. In 1899 Silent moved his family to Vail’s old home north of Adams, and extended a private street south to twenty third street, and subdivided the land into 23 lots on either side of the road. This subdivision represents the official founding of Chester Place, which could be seen behind the massive stone and steel gates that Vail had built to surround his home. The official subdivision went through on January 21, 1899 and he named the street after his son Chester, who graduated from Stanford University in 1907. The property was originally called Los Pimentos named after the pepper trees that lined the driveway.

Here is a then (1888), and now (googlemaps) view looking north on Chester place from west adams. The hose in the 1888 photo is the Judge Silent residence.

here's a 1892 image of a outdoor luncheon being held at the Silent Home

Source: LAPL http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics29/00049147.jpg

A close-up view of the Silent Home

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics24/00061745.jpg

a circa 1900 view of the gated entrance on west adams after the Silent residence had been demolished, and Chester Place was extended through to west 23rd street

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics35/00067264.jpg

the next image is a then, (1900), and now, (googlemaps) looking sw at the gate to chester place from west 23rd street

Chester Place quickly became one of the most desirable Residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles. Wealthy Socialite Mrs. S.E. Posey purchased the first lot in Chester place and hired some of the best architects of the day to erect an opulent twenty two-room mansion. With this move the neighborhood soon began to fill with the rich and influential citizens of Los Angeles, and then on October 24, 1901 Edward and Estelle Doheny purchased number 8 Chester Place, (the Posey mansion) for $120,000 cash.

Image of the Posey mansion

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...2/CHS-252?v=hr

The Doheny’s immediately began renovations on their new home, soon making it one of the most extravagant homes in the city. The house encompassed 24,000 square feet and was constantly worked on for the fifty-eight years the family lived there.

The Doheny Mansion, (after purchasing from Posey and renovating it)

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...CHS-31336?v=hr

Almost immediately after moving in, Estelle was left on her own as Edward Doheny was in Mexico for much of the time working on developing his oil holdings in Mexico. Edward in turn left the renovations up to her which included hiring of staff, construction workers, and day-to-day maintenance. Edward relayed instructions via telegram about what he wanted done with the home. At the finish of the first stage of remodeling in 1902, it was featured in House Beautiful, which caused a great number of tourists and visitors to show up on the lawn and even knock on the door requesting photographs. This lack of privacy prompted Edward to quietly buy up the remaining thirteen lots at Chester Place to ensure their privacy. Much of the renovations at Chester Place were important to Doheny since the home represented his financial wealth and stability, and as his increasingly unsure investments in Mexico were not yielding returns, it was important for investors that he keep up appearances at home.

Edward and Estelle had their son Edward Jr., or Ned as he was commonly referred to in August 1900. Ned was born, raised, married, and reared five children living in Chester Place until he moved in 1928 to Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. Five months after leaving Chester Place though his secretary murdered him, which left Edward a broken man who later died in 1935 at the age of 79. (that's the noirish part of the story that keeps this post on topic ), Estelle continued to live at Chester Place even after Ned’s death, although they also constructed a Ranch Style home at Ferndale Ranch near Santa Paula, California. The death of his son also prompted Edward to donate $2 million for the construction of the Doheny Library at the University of Southern California that was dedicated to Ned.

Some views of homes and residences on Chester Place

The home of Erasmus Wilson

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../CHS-2394?v=hr

Stimson Mansion - who's front entrance was actually on figueroa, but backed up to chester place

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...14/CHS-87?v=hr

view looking down Chester Place

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026863.jpg

Residence of P. Max Keurich, a Colonial Revival mansion

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics35/00067263.jpg

2 postcard views

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026848.jpg

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026853.jpg

another view of homes on Chester Place

Source: LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026860.jpg

The Chester Place of today retains much of the charm of the old neighborhood with many of the mansions still intact. The neighborhood now is part of Mount St. Mary’s college satellite campus. The school was first given rights to operate out of number 2 Chester Place in 1957. After her death in 1958, Estelle left Chester Place to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, which transferred the land to Mount St. Mary’s College, which officially opened their second campus in 1962. The administration and teaching at the campus takes place in many of the historic mansions, although a new library has been added to the campus. Estelle also left the easternmost portion of Chester place bordering Figueroa Street to St. Vincent’s school.

here is a bingmaps birdseye view of chester place today centered on the Doheny Mansion

Last edited by gsjansen; Nov 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:57 PM
Ex Houstonian

This is the most epic thread of all time, there needs to be one like this for Chicago and NYC.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Thanks for the interesting info. One tiny correction: Jay Silverheels as Tonto was The Lone Ranger's special pal, not Zorro's.
Wrather Productions/American Broadcasting Company
Moore and Silverheels

Thanks Jeff-- I got the two masked men mixed up. Although it turns out that Clayton Moore also played Zorro... when he wasn't dallying with Lupe Velez, who apparently dallied with every guy in Hollywood.

Republic Pictures

Republic Pictures

http://everseradio.com/wp-content/up...yton-moore.jpg

http://www.westernclippings.com/imag...pe_clayton.jpg

No doubt Lupe wore him out, as she had Cooper, Flynn, Weissmuller, Gable, Gilbert, Fairbanks, you name it... even Edward G. Robinson, Red Skelton, Jimmy Durantre, and Bert Lahr! Moore finally retreated to Forest Lawn in Glendale:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/p...oreclayton.jpg

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 10:25 PM

This thread (and the contributors) never ceases to amaze me!

That Doheny Mansion is unbelievable... glad it still remains. It's also great the Erasmus Wilson home remains as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos