HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:13 PM

Ideas for San Antonio's Urban Core- Riverwalk elevated bike lanes. ETC.

An elevated bike lane like this one in Copenhagen would be really cool for the Riverwalk starting from the Zoo, Brackenridge Park, Wittie Museum, making its way through the Pearl, Museum Reach, a portion of the central Riverwalk, King William Riverfront, all the way to the Mission Reach. Linking San Pedro Creek would be a great idea as well.

Something like this would definitely attract even more development and residents to the urban core especially to River North. Visitors to the city would find Riverwalk attractions easier to get to. The Riverwalk is 15 miles long so this would make things easier to get to for residents and visitors.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2014...t-of-your-car/
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Feb 23, 2016 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
An elevated bike lane like this one in Copenhagen would be really cool for the Riverwalk starting from the Zoo, Brackenridge Park, Wittie Museum, making its way through the Pearl, Museum Reach, a portion of the central Riverwalk, King William Riverfront, all the way to the Mission Reach. Linking San Pedro Creek would be a great idea as well.

Something like this would definitely attract even more development and residents to the urban core especially to River North. Visitors to the city would find Riverwalk attractions easier to get to. The Riverwalk is 15 miles long so this would make things easier to get to for residents and visitors.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2014...t-of-your-car/
I'm all for this. It gets pretty annoying when you're walking the riverwalk and you have to make way for the bicyclist to ride past you

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:44 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

How about let's get a decent conventional bike lane network before we build things like that....

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:06 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I actually disagree, I think things like this are better thn conventional bike lanes, because they're dedicated infrastructure and they become notable landmarks in your city when nobody else has them (and, let's be real: this type of thing WOULD be unique in the US). AND they're safer, not just for bicyclists themselves, but also for pedestrians and cars.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 8:11 PM

I like it! I hate sharing the roads with bikes.
This idea is really cool! So cool, I might ride a bike more often.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 12:10 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I like the idea. However, how appropriate is it to build "now" or in the "near" future?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:24 PM

Elevated Park Idea - Near Neast Side

My idea is an expansion of an idea I saw in the Express News. I apologize for not remembering the author. So full disclosure on where the idea came from.
I read an article several months ago regarding the Alamodome and UTSA tailgating and how it could be a better experience. The gist of the story was to connect the parking lots by building an elevated pedestrian causeway over the railroad tracks to facilitate the movement and interaction of people. I recommend expanding the thought and connecting the Hays Street Bridge to the Alamodome to the new proposed 7.7 acres development at Cherry and Essex (Essex Modern City). This elevated linear park could be similar to the High Line park in NYC and serve as a further conduit of growth to the near east side if done right. Imagine an “elevated river walk” if you would. Please find a link to the NYC High line for reference. www.thehighline.org
It would provide a third North South park in the Downtown Area (SAn Pedro Creek/Riverwalk/East Side Elevated). From Hays Street Bridge to River walk is 4 blocks along 8th street. From Essex Modern you could run a bike lane/walking trail along tracks to Mission Reach Portion of River Walk.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:11 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTrexler View Post
I recommend expanding the thought and connecting the Hays Street Bridge to the Alamodome to the new proposed 7.7 acres development at Cherry and Essex (Essex Modern City). This elevated linear park could be similar to the High Line park in NYC and serve as a further conduit of growth to the near east side if done right. Imagine an “elevated river walk” if you would.
I LOVE this idea.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:55 PM
James

Delete please*

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio