HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 1:29 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
When it's up to the voters, in a car-centric city like San Antonio people will usually vote to note have that .003¢ gas price increase to "pay for a boondoggle that I'll never use." It's backward thinking and sad, but they need to be convinced that it will actually help them in terms of eventual lightened traffic, air pollution, and things like that. They don't care about terms like "intelligent growth" because it means nothing to their wallets, and/or it doesn't immediately affect their lives. It's frustrating to those of us who do think about things such as intelligent growth, but it's a reality that has to be dealt with creatively in order to convince them to vote for something that you and I know will be good for the whole city.
The vote occurred in 2000. San Antonio was a much different city then. If that vote were to occur today with the same comprehensive plan, it would pass easily. It’s just unfortunate VIA has been so scared to pull the trigger again.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm posting this story about how some groups are actively fighting public transit systems in the name of not raising taxes, and I'm posting it purely for informational reasons (not political ones) because it naturally fits in with the discussion we were just having.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/c...c-transit.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:17 PM

Hear my out, because this is coming from far far left field and it would NEVER happen, but I feel like it's ideas like these could spark some interesting conversations.. hell, just for the fun of it. Considering in the great direction the Broadway Corridor is heading, wouldn't it just be nice if they gutted part of the Brackenridge Golf Cours to make room for Urban Development along the river up towards Brackenridge park, etc? I know how historic the golf course is and I know the city would NEVER touch it, but man --- that could really change the shape of that area for the long run. Just a fun thought, I apologize if it's too off topic.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

I don't think it's off topic. It's an idea about development in urban San Antonio.

You're right. It will never happen. At least in the next 50 years. But it is worthy of discussion if anybody wants to partake.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:47 PM

The golf course has been deemed historic and will never be touched. However, I think it would be very reasonable for it to be rearranged enough that the riverwalk could be extended through it, connecting to Avenue A on the other side.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:09 PM

Doesn't Avenue A run along side the river for a good ways? That area is GOLDEN for redevelopment especially since if they plan it right it could lead all the way to the SAZoo which would be perfect. That golf course is such a landblock despite how historic it is, such a shame - and I by know means trying to insult avid golfers who player there xD Follow the river SA, follow the river.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondog View Post
Doesn't Avenue A run along side the river for a good ways? That area is GOLDEN for redevelopment especially since if they plan it right it could lead all the way to the SAZoo which would be perfect. That golf course is such a landblock despite how historic it is, such a shame - and I by know means trying to insult avid golfers who player there xD Follow the river SA, follow the river.
The area you're describing as golden for redevelopment is inside Brackenridge Park.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 11:38 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post

I certainly will!!
I like it!!!
Thank you for sharing!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Workers were already at the site today surveying and setting up equipment.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:31 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

The city of San Antonio installed a rainbow themed crosswalk on Main St. in Tobin Hill. This area of Main Street is also known as the Gay Strip because of its many gay nightclubs and bars.

I really wish they would do this to all the Main St. intersections from Euclid Ave. up to Park Ave. or Dewey Pl. or even Ashby Pl.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The city of San Antonio installed a rainbow themed crosswalk on Main St. in Tobin Hill. This area of Main Street is also known as the Gay Strip because of its many gay nightclubs and bars.

I really wish they would do this to all the Main St. intersections from Euclid Ave. up to Park Ave. or Dewey Pl. or even Ashby Pl.
I love it!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 1:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 1:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

Hey, look! Tobin Lofts was built just a few years ago and now it's fabulous! Imagine that... ground level retail and a cool neighborhood. Coincidence? The answer is no, as you answered yourself in the Urban Core Development Thread.

Quote:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4430...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:

This is quickly going to be an awesome selfie spot... much like the "I love tacos so much" mural.

Beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:58 PM
James

Quote:
Dead.

and yes it is, Montirob!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:59 PM
James

That's a big photo, oh well. I'm on the left haha.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Dead? Nice big photo of you guys.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 6:22 PM

Them gays lol

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:36 PM
James

Quote:
Dead? Nice big photo of you guys.
It's an expression similar to, I can't even. haha

And thank you!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio