HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Empire State Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 12:06 AM
All aboard the Failboat

that old steel spire, she ain't what she used to be.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:51 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Yeah, could use some polishing, but still very cool and retro-futuristic. It, and some buildings from Shanghai remind me of each other.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 11:54 AM
New Yorker for life

The entire building is getting a makeover, so maybe they will do something with the spire. I wish they could remove some of the broadcasting equipment, but with the broadcasters' decision no to move to the Freedom Tower, that seems unlikely.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:11 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I was not expecting that first picture. It's amazing! I want a poster like that!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 5:33 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.costar.com/News/Article.a...DB86D89D007F71

At Empire State Building, Green Future Merging with Past
Sustainability and Business Will Coexist Profitably as the Building Becomes 40% More Energy Efficient, Officials Say

By Andrew C. Burr
April 8, 2009

One of the most enduring symbols of the 20th century, the Empire State Building, is being revamped for the energy-conscious 21st century.

Under a plan announced this week, energy consumption at the 102-story tower would be reduced by nearly 40 percent over the next four years, saving $4.4 million annually in energy costs and earning the building two prestigious environmental markers: the government’s Energy Star label and the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED certification for sustainability, project officials said.

If those goals are achieved, few high-rises in the country -- new or old -- would come close to matching the energy efficiency or energy cost savings at the pre-war tower.

...Kept secret for nearly two years, details of the retrofit were revealed Monday at a news conference hosted by Anthony E. Malkin, president of Wien & Malkin, which oversees the building for the Malkin family and the Helmsley estate, the building’s co-owners.

With New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former President Clinton seated to his right, Malkin used his first few words to set the stakes.

“I’m Anthony Malkin, and on behalf of the Empire State Building Company, welcome to the world’s most famous office building,” he said.

The retrofit is significant not only for the tower’s celebrity, which is already drawing international attention to the project, but also for its ambition. Retrofits of older buildings can be intrusive and costly, and the size of the Empire State Building -- 1,250 feet tall and roughly 2.6 million square feet -- presented other challenges.

When the project completes in 2013, the building will be in the 90th percentile of energy efficient properties in the United States, Jones Lang LaSalle said. Work has already started, and the building’s energy use is expected to decrease by almost 20 percent during the next two years, when most of the measures will be implemented. Carbon dioxide emissions from the building are being slashed by 105,000 metric tons over a period of 15 years.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 5:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

I just wish they'd get all that antenna crap off the Deco mast.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I just wish they'd get all that antenna crap off the Deco mast.
That "antenna crap" adds extra height to the building and that is what New York needs. Sure it may not count towards the official height but I tend to like the antenna.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:49 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
That "antenna crap" adds extra height to the building and that is what New York needs. Sure it may not count towards the official height but I tend to like the antenna.
New York needs extra height? Please.

It's there because it is an easy way for the owner to increase NOI with basically no operating expenses. As such, it probably won't be going anywhere any time soon.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 8:14 PM
Astorian

Didn't they test out LED lights like 2 years ago? I thought they were replacing the floodlights at the top with LED's this year. Any news on that or did that fall through?

I would suspect they would change them now with the rest of the building being fixed up. Also, maybe they should clean the facade and get it back to a more vibrant color like they did with the Chrysler.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
All aboard the Failboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

i was in the Vicinity of this EL track last summer

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
New York needs extra height? Please.

It's there because it is an easy way for the owner to increase NOI with basically no operating expenses. As such, it probably won't be going anywhere any time soon.
I didn't say the purpose of the antenna was to add height that's obviously not the case. Sure it adds height but that isn't what it is there for. Anyway the building looks good with the antenna than without it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:57 AM

the ESB looked retarded without the antenna

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:58 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Umm... I agree on part of that. I think much of that crap should be removed from the spire. It makes it look like crap!

But the antenna above the spire should stay because it makes the building look sleek, sexy and just looks awesome.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Wasn't a reference to the antenna on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee
just wish they'd get all that antenna crap off the Deco mast.
From some of the latest photos I've posted over in the ESB thread, I agree that some of that broadcasting crap needs to come off. But as I've said, with the Freedom Tower becoming a non-option, that doesn't seem likely.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Posted in the ESB thread...

Quote:
NVinacco

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 6:01 AM
New Yorker for life

I remember when the stairway from the 86th to the 80th (that's about as much as I saw) was filled with graffiti. I think they've since removed it. But it dawns on me that the ESB has the highest graffiti in the city.

droptheneedlenplay

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:55 PM
World Machine

Heh, never realized what a mess it is up there. Good thing you can't really make it out 1,250 feet below on the street. Hopefully something can be done, but I'm sure the ESB will be broadcasting for some time to come, as well as Conde.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 8:48 PM
Ω

There is way too much shit up there. That ruins a lot of images. It looks like a tower in some dystopian sci-fi future.

I also agree that it needs a scrub down. When I went on top back in 2001 I was amazed at the condition of the mooring mast; they really let it go.

And one more thing, I hope they even out the mechanical vents. Random window vents just don't look right.

Just want what's best for one of my favorite buildings.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I was amazed at the condition of the mooring mast; they really let it go.
I hope they won't ignore that during the makeover. It's likely it'll get the treatment the Chrysler got some years back. When this "rebuilding" is complete, this icon and American classic will be among the most modern in the world.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/st...6/daily32.html

Empire State plan seen as Boston blueprint

by Michelle Hillman
April 9, 2009

Quote:
New York City’s iconic Empire State building is experimenting with reducing its carbon footprint in a $500 million program that is expected to reduce the property’s energy use by 40 percent.

If successful, the program is expected to soon target energy efficiency in dozens of Boston’s pre-World War II buildings, according to real estate sources.

At the end of the retrofitting process, the partners expect the Empire State Building will be able to qualify for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for Existing Buildings) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/06/news...ney_topstories

Empire State Building: New energy role model

By Steve Hargreaves
April 6, 2009

Quote:
The famous spire lights, which change color throughout the year in accordance with different holidays and events, are not getting an upgrade. But engineers on the project said the spire may get ultra-efficient LED lighting when the price for that technology drops enough, perhaps by 2013.

In addition to its fame - it was the world's tallest building for over 40 years - it's also an important testing ground because of its age. The building is made of granite and was completed in 1931.

"The Empire State Building was the perfect opportunity," said Ian Campbell, an executive at Johnson Controls, the company performing the retrofit. "You can teach an old building new tricks."

Campbell said once completed, the makeover should put the building among the top 10% of energy efficient buildings worldwide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture