HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:55 AM

What is that smaller crane in the foreground for?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-t...iew-1414367952

For Tourists, a $3.9 Billion View
One World Trade Center Hopes Visitors Generate One-Quarter of Tower’s Revenue

By ELIOT BROWN
Oct. 26, 2014

Quote:
When One World Trade Center, the country’s tallest and most expensive office tower, opens its doors to its first tenants early next month, its owners aren’t just counting on rent from office space to pay the bills. They are counting on millions of tourists looking for a view.

The owners of the skyscraper that cost $3.9 billion to build are expecting the observation deck—just three floors of the tower compared with 70 office floors—to bring in nearly one-fourth of the building’s annual revenue by 2019, or a projected $53 million, according to representatives of the ownership group.

More than 3.5 million visitors a year are expected to zip up high-speed elevators to an observation space 1,250 feet above lower Manhattan. While the developer of the observation space, Legends Hospitality LLC, hasn’t announced prices, they are expected to be competitive with the Empire State Building’s observatory, which charges $29 and up for an adult.

Even with the revenue from tourists and pricey office rents, the building is likely to be worth less than its construction cost, an unusual circumstance due largely to lengthy delays in building and security measures, including a 20-story concrete- and-steel base. The building’s owners, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the Durst Organization, are looking at the deck—set to open in the spring—to help close the gap.

If the office space is 95% leased by 2019, as hoped, the group projects it would have $144 million in annual operating income. Manhattan towers with similar income today are valued at some $3 billion, though sometimes considerably more.

“It is going to be a world- class visitor experience,” said Patrick Foye, the Port Authority’s executive director. “We think that it is an attractive financial proposition.”

The sky-high ambitions are based on a surprising fact: observation decks have become cash machines. Amid a growing trend of tourists clamoring for views, the Empire State Building now gets more than 40% of its revenue from its two floors of observation decks, bringing in $101 million in 2013, up from $78 million in 2010, according to filings by the building’s owner.

Chicago’s Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears tower, has said traffic has exploded since it added a set of clear boxes that allow visitors to stand out on glass and look down, attracting 1.5 million visitors a year, up more than 30% since 2009. A layer of glass shattered on the floor of one of the boxes in May, generating many headlines—it was nonstructural glass, posing no risk, the owners said—and visitors have continued to stream in for the views.

Not to be left behind, the nearby John Hancock Center in Chicago added a sloped glass feature that allows tourists to lean and tilt out over the city’s streets.

On the West Coast, the owner of Los Angeles’ U.S. Bank Tower—the city’s tallest—is converting empty office floors to an observation deck that opens out into the air. In Manhattan, a new skyscraper west of Midtown is planning a large deck, causing some to wonder if there is enough demand for all the observatories.

“It’s got to be at least four times more valuable as observation space than as office space,” said Richard Stockton, chief executive of the U.S. arm of Overseas Union Enterprise Ltd., which owns the U.S. Bank Tower. He said he considered other uses like hotel space or residential space for the floors, ultimately settling on a deck. “You can charge between $20 and $30 for tickets to go to the top and people will stay there on average 20 minutes or so,” he said.

Office towers aren’t the only beneficiaries. Observation wheels like the London Eye—mammoth-sized Ferris wheels—are sprouting around the world. Singapore, Seattle and Las Vegas each have their own, while one is planned for New York’s Staten Island. Even nature can’t escape the fad: entrepreneurs have put a glass walkway on the edge of the Grand Canyon where tourists can look down.

Just what explains the trend isn’t entirely clear. Many in the industry believe demand is growing in part because operators are positioning the observatories as experiences akin to theme-park rides. Such is the thinking behind features like the Willis Tower’s glass box, or a glass floor recently installed at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Others point to changes in tourism, in which growing ranks of visitors are looking for more than just museums and shopping in cities.

In turn, a small industry of observation deck operators has been born. For instance, Legends Hospitality, the operator of One World Trade, specializes in concessions and sports marketing and is owned in part by the New York Yankees and Dallas Cowboys. It will share a portion of its revenue with One World Trade’s owners.

The Port Authority previously intended to include a high-end restaurant at the building’s peak akin to the original Twin Towers’ popular venue, Windows on the World. But it ultimately decided it could get more money by devoting as much space as possible to the observation facility, which is to include a restaurant and catering space.

The World Trade Center’s original south tower also included an observation deck popular with tourists.

In 2013, lower Manhattan had an estimated 9.6 million visitors, according to the Downtown Alliance, a number expected to grow as the World Trade Center is completed.

Whatever is driving the demand for observation venues, the trend is a welcome one for One World Trade. Leasing has been slow amid a sluggish office market, as employers pack their workers into less space and big banks cut back.

The 104-story tower—when counting mechanical floors and the bunker-like base—is to open less than 60% leased, and hasn’t announced a large deal with a private tenant since publisher Condé Nast in 2010. It lowered its rents on much of its remaining space earlier this year, and many wonder if it will indeed be able to fill up by 2019, as its owners are expecting.

Of course, the tower was conceived more as a symbol of resilience than a cash cow. Still, the owners are looking to get as much income as they can from the tower, and even next year, it is slated to turn an operating profit of about $55 million. “We want to earn a fair return,” said the Port Authority’s Mr. Foye.

Meanwhile, at look at how security around the site is shaping up...

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2014/...on-liberty-st/

W.T.C. offices begin reopening Monday with tighter security on Liberty St.

October 24, 2014
BY JOSH ROGERS

Quote:
Port Authority employees on Monday, will be the first office workers to return to work at the World Trade Center since terrorists took the Twin Towers down just over 13 years ago. The reopening of 4 W.T.C. on Oct. 27 will ironically mean less freedom on Liberty St., as most vehicles will no longer be able to get through.

Cars and trucks doing business at the W.T.C., or making deliveries to Liberty St. residents or stores, or carrying residents will be permitted with proper ID. People visiting residents on the block will also be permitted to drive through after a short stop expected to be done in under two minutes.

The city official said although residents in cars will have to show ID, that short slowdown will be counterbalanced by the fact that there will be less traffic on Liberty now that cars and trucks will no longer be able to use it as a through street.

In addition, Cedar St. traffic has recently been reversed to flow west, and Washington St. south of the W.T.C. will be reopened to traffic some time next week.

The following Monday, Nov. 3, the first workers will return to One W.T.C., a k a the Freedom Tower, when Conde Nast moves into the building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 10:03 PM
weidncol

Actually office workers at 7 WTC were the first to return...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Actually office workers at 7 WTC were the first to return...

Seven WTC was never considered part of the orignal WTC site, though it was part of the complex. That's one of the reasons that rebuilding got done right away.

Workers moving into the Freedom Tower and tower 4 will be the first tenants back on the complex site.

Meanwhile, I don't think I like this base lighting...

October 27, 2014

10. I do like the west entrance though, my favorite of course...

14. The higher, north side...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:48 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:22 PM
Sukaitsuri

I've been to New York in 2008. At that time, the tallest building of NYC was the Empire State Building.
Imagine how surprising it is to think that, in only 6 years, the situation changed from:

- no skyscraper taller than the old ESB, WTC is still an empty hole, I was even not sure if it would be rebuilt someday

To:

-1WTC almost complete, 432 Park Avenue almost complete, many projects of other supertalls, yet a few ones under construction.

I wonder if all this is due to a change in the policy of construction (as supertalls projects were cooled down by the post 9/11 memories), or if it's just a coincidence that so many mushrooms sprout at the same time

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Absolutely stunning!!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:44 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Bloomberg's policies and leadership had a big role in the boom and the success of the city today. DeBlasio seems to be following in his footsteps.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

October 24, 2014
BY JOSH ROGERS
What's the point of building streets if no one can use them?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:37 AM
weidncol

Taxis, buses, delivery vehicles, residents and tenants can enroll in what's called TAP (Trusted Access Program) where you are gained access and can bypass the screening upon showing the credentials.

Cyclists and pedestrians can use the streets freely.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:57 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perklol View Post
What's the point of building streets if no one can use them?
Just Americans being paranoid and completely altering their ways and reducing their own freedom for the illusion of safety. Similar to airport security and the NSA. But... thats for another thread. While security is nice, overdoing it does give off a bad vibe and really shows that the attacks still to this day severely damaged our ego. We never really recovered, as shown by the overprotected measures being taken. The fear is still there. Anyways, ignore my rant as I mean no offense to anybody. Just me getting how I feel about it out of the way.

Last edited by chris08876; Oct 29, 2014 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Take the Tour | One World Observatory

Video Link

One World Observatory
Oct 28, 2014

Quote:
Get a sneak peek of One World Observatory and explore three levels filled with innovation and inspiration. Opening Spring 2015.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Just Americans being paranoid and completely altering their ways and reducing their own freedom for the illusion of safety. Similar to airport security and the NSA. But... thats for another thread. While security is nice, overdoing it does give off a bad vibe and really shows that the attacks still to this day severely damaged our ego. We never really recovered, as shown by the overprotected measures being taken. The fear is still there. Anyways, ignore my rant as I mean no offense to anybody. Just me getting how I feel about it out of the way.
Seriously? The World Trade Center has always carried a label of being an attack site. Before 9/11/01 terrorists tried to blow up the World Trade Center on 2/26/1993. They set up a bomb, and detonated the thing underneath the Twin Towers. They hoped it would have destroyed the complex, but failed. That's why 9/11/2001 even happened in the first place.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Taxis, buses, delivery vehicles, residents and tenants can enroll in what's called TAP (Trusted Access Program) where you are gained access and can bypass the screening upon showing the credentials.

Cyclists and pedestrians can use the streets freely.
Got it. The only thing I'm wondering is if its a long process, almost like a recently graduated high school student applying for a job at McDonald's.

Quote:
We never really recovered, as shown by the overprotected measures being taken. The fear is still there. Anyways, ignore my rant as I mean no offense to anybody. Just me getting how I feel about it out of the way.
I hear ya. I can see tenants put off by too much security/bag checking etc..

OT, but this is only going to hurt WFC/BP. Its such a hassle getting there as it is.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:17 AM

I can't get this video to embed, and it really makes me sad I can't! Here it is: http://youtu.be/BbDBqIjIYko

Video Link

Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/110096778

http://www.oneworldobservatory.com/#the-rise

I'm liking this ad campaign so far... really epic, beautiful, & intriguing.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Bloomberg's policies and leadership had a big role in the boom and the success of the city today. DeBlasio seems to be following in his footsteps.
Neither Bloomberg nor de Blasio had anything to do with WTC development, which was happening one way or the other. People forget sometimes just how large the complex was. All they are doing now is replacing that space. Bloomberg was very influential in getting the Hudson Yards going, even if he wanted a stadium there.

Both had a hand in midtown east. But what's happening now is basic "turnover". The city always needs top of the line office space, but hasn't really kept up. That's what alarmed the mayors, as they know the towers are what hold businesses here.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...d-trade-center

It Will Cost You $32 to Go to the Top of 1 World Trade Center

Video Link

By Julie Shapiro
October 28, 2014

Quote:
Visitors will soon be able to travel to the top of the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere — but it will set you back $32.

One World Observatory will launch in spring 2015 at One World Trade Center, offering sprawling views of the city, New York Harbor and beyond from 1,250 feet above the street, officials announced this week.

Admission will cost $32 for adults, with small discounts for children and seniors.

Ticketholders will be swept up to the observatory — on the 100th, 101st and 102nd floors of the tower — by Sky Pod elevators that will make the trip in less than 60 seconds, the observatory said in a press release on Tuesday.

Visitors will be greeted by multimedia exhibits telling the story of the construction of One World Trade Center, as well as floor-to-ceiling windows showcasing views in every direction. Guides will be on hand to point out landmarks and answer guests' questions about New York City.

The 120,000-square-foot venue will include a casual cafe, a sit-down restaurant and a space for catered events.

Tickets will be sold for a particular day and time and will be available starting in early 2015. Admission costs $32 for adults, $26 for children ages 6 to 12 and $30 for senior citizens ages 65 and up. Children 5 and under are free.

Family members of 9/11 victims will be able to get in free, as will 9/11 rescue and recovery workers. Members of the U.S. military will receive discounted admission.

That was my first time noticing that virtual sky portal thing. Can't wait to get up there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:52 PM
don't *meddle*...

$32 ain't cheap. Maybe when other observatories (30 HY, 1 Vanderbilt) open, prices will begin to drop.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:08 PM

In the renderings the podium lighting looked like a whitish light, as compared to this yellowish, almost incandescent hue. If they can do red, white and blue, we know they can change the colors. Has someone decided they like this "warmer" tone better? Are they still testing?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:22 PM

Channel 7 did a small thing on the Observatory opening. In the background the base was lit up and it looked much more like a pure white instead of the warmer tone shown above. I'm hoping they do the changing color scheme like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive