HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 3:10 AM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So are those tiny winy columns part of the structure?
When will the real perimeter steel be placed in.
Read! It was all explained in the last 2 pages.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 3:28 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Eh, unless the Feds have some say in this, it would sound like an abuse of power. I think a personal call might be more effective anyway. Besides, the guy is running for reelection, the last thing he needs (and I'm not saying this as a supporter) is to make a speech about this just to have the PA or Durst ignore him.
Maybe, but I really don't think Obama would risk anything politically by publicly denouncing that assclown. In fact, he would have more supporters than not obviously and the majority really don't care one way or another.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiboy View Post
Don't they just have to put the radome up once. Why would free climbers have to climb the spire on a regular basis to replace 40x10 ft. sections?
This would be in the event that the radome became damaged in any way and sections had to be replaced.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:18 AM
DENNAB

How would the radome get any more damaged than the rest of the buidling or the antenna by itself?

I swear they got some dumb mothertruckers running this operation.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 5:17 AM

I think Durst is scared of something like this happening on the new One World Trade Center's mast, and got rid of it.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 5:30 AM
DENNAB

I feel like the radome would actually help with ice build up, it would be difficult for the ice to form and it could fall off easily.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 7:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesfaninUT View Post
I sent numerous emails out a few weeks ago about the spire. I received one back from Jordan Barowitz of the Durst Organization. The reason for removing the radome was because it is logistically impossible to maintain it that far in the sky. Free climbers would have to scale the spire and attach the cables to a ring at the top. Then they would have to hoist a 40’ x 10’, 2000lbs piece of fiberglass up to the top and install it. Both of these violate New York City Department of Buildings hoisting regulations and is also a threat to public safety. They discussed this back in January. The architects had time to come up with a redesign but chose not to. So no one should be angry at Durst for this. They gave them the chance to come up with a redesign. After the new renderings came out I think it really wont be that bad. All of the buildings are very beautiful. This will be a very beautiful complex when it's done.
No, that's BS. They've been spinning those lies ever since they made the decision to cut costs by eliminating the enclosure. I highly doubt that the engineers failed to discover such "impossible logistics" anytime after the initial design period. Do you honestly believe that the hundred of people who designed a $4 billion skyscraper really didn't think through how they'd maintain the spire? Please. And don't you think the timing is a bit curious as well...why would they wait until a few months before the topping out ceremony to make the announcement, hmm? They've had years to think about this.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 7:42 AM
DENNAB

^I agree 100%, surely they can't have been so dumb as to not have designed the spire correctly.

Plus there is no way Childs would have passed up a redesign, he said himself he wanted to redesign it just last month. We are getting a lot of mixed information and Durst seems and looks like a shady character.

We were promised a 1776 foot tower, and while I'm not sure if it still will be one oficially, they sure failed us. If CTBUH says they won't count the spire/antenna then they're going to have to come up with a plan quick because the PA and Childs will be very embarrased.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

My World Trade Center Pictures from Hoboken Yard

DSCN4935 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4939 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4941 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4942 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 10:59 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
Today: WTC Progress Facebook:

No doubt, it's a very beautiful and elegant looking building.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 1:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
No, that's BS. They've been spinning those lies ever since they made the decision to cut costs by eliminating the enclosure.
Of course they have. And of course, there's been no follow up as to why they couldn't just build the spire as originally planned, without the radome enclosure. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, because we already know what it is.

Jersey JJ

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 1:46 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Of course they have. And of course, there's been no follow up as to why they couldn't just build the spire as originally planned, without the radome enclosure. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, because we already know what it is.

Jersey JJ

I sure hope towers two and three don't take another decade to put up. That gap between the FT and WTC 4 is a constant reminder of the missing Twins.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 2:19 PM

yeah, well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
No doubt, it's a very beautiful and elegant looking building.
I feel your pain. Maybe if 1WTC had somehow continued to a point, like the Transamerica building in San Francisco it could have acquired some grace.

What's done is done. We will learn to like it over time.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 2:32 PM

Fire at One World Trade Center under control

Quote:
It took firefighters an hour this morning to declare a high-altitude fire at One World Trade Center as under control.

Firefighters responded to the 89th floor of the tower at 7:15 a.m. to help construction workers put out the small fire on some wooden decking. The blaze was under control at 8:19 a.m., officials said.

The Fire Department said it is still investigating, but described the blaze as a “rubbish fire.”

Workers at the unfinished tower extinguished most of the burning wood themselves, but firefighters were still on the scene wetting down the area an hour later.

The skyscraper is already over 1,200 feet high, with a few hundred feet more to go until it reaches its full height.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1weC0j3LA

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 3:06 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^
the fire must have been really small because i did not see anything..not even smoke...

today is a perfect day, clear and beautiful!

DSC_0097 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Fire at One World Trade Center under control
Rubbish fires are a fairly common occurrence in the city. Most of the time it's because somebody threw a lit cigarette in a trashcan and sets the trashcan on fire. We carry fire extinguishers on the ambulance and I've put more than a few of them out if we get called for them, or if we're just passing by and happen to see it. The way its described as a rubbish fire makes me think it might have been something along those lines - a lit cigarette that got thrown away, or maybe some sparks from some of the machinery. Either way, it's not that big of a deal.

The only reason why there was such a large response is probably a combination of the celebrity of the tower itself, the fact that it is still under construction where fires can spread notoriously fast (recall the Deutsche Bank fire where 2 firefighters were killed and 115 firefighters were injured), and that the response plan for any incident at the WTC will detail an enormous response by multiple agencies until it is deemed they are not needed (better to be safe than sorry kind of idea).

This shouldn't impede construction of the tower in and of itself, but I can't speak to any delays caused by the halting of construction while the construction company itself conducts an investigation or anything like that. Usually, however, the cause of the fire is pretty apparent.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
Read! It was all explained in the last 2 pages.
Calm down. I didn't understand so i'm asking again.
I haven't seen anybody posting about the perimeter steel or whether it was part of the structure.
All I've seen is that these are for the louver walls.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:28 PM

Here is my video for May. Enjoy

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Jersey JJ

Can you tell me what is name of cruise ship but, is that Holland America? Where the cruise ship come from?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Ok, the columns that went up today are non-structural and will support the louvered walls that span from the 103rd floor slab to just below the parapet, these walls serve for ventilation and will create an air plenum between these walls and the exterior facade.

Here louvered walls are in blue:

In case anyone didn't notice, this plenum will be exactly the same as the ones located between floors 91-93M and 3-6M.
Thanks again to Otie for these!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive