HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 5:50 PM
cities|transit|croissants

ARLINGTON | Rosslyn Central Place | 355 FT & ? FT | 31 FLOORS x2

Rosslyn goes vertical
BeyondDC

Rosslyn is home to the tallest skyscrapers in the DC area, but its skyline, which is easily visible from the National Mall, isn’t exactly beautiful. Every roof is flat, and except for a pair of towers on low elevation that rise above 300 feet, just about every building is near the same height. At the same time, the narrow block immediately above the Rosslyn Metro station, theoretically the most ideal place for Arlington’s highest densities, is an underused collection of fast food joints and empty concrete “parks”. Arlington officials, ever at the forefront of Smart Growth planning, have been trying to kill two birds with one stone and develop that block with a skyline-defining landmark tower. At first the Federal Aviation Administration nixed the idea, noting air approaches to National Airport, but two-years and a lot of negotiation later, a new proposal is in the wings, and this time it seems almost assured of approval.

Baring further changes, the region’s new tallest skyscraper will be a 388′ tall office building, but sitting at a relatively high elevation, it will appear to be 470′ feet above the Potomac River – nearly 100 feet higher than any other building in Rosslyn. Except, that is, its residential twin, which will be 342′ tall, or 424′ above water level. The buildings will be clad in reflective blue glass and have a unique curvilinear design. The taller building will include a public observation deck on the 29th floor, near the top of the building. Finally, the plan includes a new “central square” for Rosslyn, situated between the two new skyscrapers and directly across North Moore Street from the entrance to Rosslyn Metro.

This is exciting stuff, and while BeyondDC thinks the plaza design could be improved quite a bit, given the constraints of the site we’re pretty happy with the skyscraper design. Whether you favor tall buildings or not, it will add an icon to Rosslyn’s skyline.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 5:51 PM

The current tallest skyscraper in the DC area is a 381' tower also in Rosslyn, but at a much lower elevation.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 6:11 PM
Here we stAy

Looks classy. What's the height limit in Rosslyn with Reagan being right there?

Last edited by ltsmotorsport; Nov 27, 2006 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 6:21 PM

Well it's in flux. Localities aren't legally bound by FAA limits, so it's sort of up for negotiation. The county originally wanted a much taller building on this site - one pushing 500 feet from the sidewalk, while the FAA didn't want anything taller than what's there now. This 470' above the river height seems to be the negotiated middle.

I wouldn't expect any other buildings in Rosslyn to be more than 300' tall. The DC suburbs will eventually top 500', but it won't be in Rosslyn. My money is on Tysons Corner.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 6:48 PM

Assuming it's approved what do you think is the realistic time frame for this? Of late I've become very interested in Rosslyn and its possibilities. The impact that Waterview has had on its skyline is quite impressive for only being 300' and I'm hoping that Turnberry Tower will be just as good as it sits on higher ground and is slightly taller. These improvements to the Rosslyn skyline are gradual and hopefully will show people that there is no reason to fear tall buildings across the river. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the 500' occurs here, more so than in Tyson's.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 7:11 PM

This thread is crying out for some shots of Rosslyn from the Mall. I remember that view as quite striking, flattops aside.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 8:26 PM

You know I don't think I have any. Not from the ground, anyway.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 2:06 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I really like it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 12:59 PM
Not far from Disneyland

I like the shape of the building. At very few points does it look like a box. It's amazing that it can look so free flowing even without that much height.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 3:55 PM

Planned Rosslyn Tower Might Be Hazard, FAA Says
390-Foot-Tall Residential 'Twin' Has Been Approved, However

Annie Gowen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 8, 2006; Page B03

The Federal Aviation Administration has determined that a planned 390-foot-tall office building in Rosslyn could be a hazard to airplanes, delaying Arlington County's hopes for its own glittering "signature skyline" across the Potomac River from Washington.

In a preliminary ruling, the FAA said that the office tower -- which would loom about 31 stories above the Rosslyn Metro station -- would be a "presumed hazard" and could interfere with planes approaching Reagan National Airport, three miles southeast.

The glass-and-steel tower is one of two on the drawing board and includes a top-floor public observation deck where visitors can view the monuments and memorials on the Mall and the area's sweeping vista -- the county's version of the Empire State Building. A group of business owners has already started marketing Rosslyn as "Manhattan on the Potomac."

The FAA's Nov. 24 decision has confounded some officials because the federal agency ruled this year that the structure's twin residential tower next door -- also planned for 390 feet -- will not be a danger to planes.

"On the residential tower, the FAA did a study and determined it not to be a hazard," said Diane Spitaliere, an FAA spokeswoman. "The second tower . . . is still being evaluated. They sent out a 'notice of presumed hazard' because there are some issues with the location of building in relation to the approach to the runway, but we're still studying it."

Kathleen L. Webb, a principal of JBG Cos., a District-based developer building the towers, said that JBG hopes to meet with federal officials in coming weeks to show them that the office building is "only a few feet away" from the approved residential tower.

"We hope that after some discussion with them and the ability to show them Rosslyn and what the actual sites look like, they will agree that two buildings in a row the same height is fine," Webb said.

The proposal has prompted concern among pilots and aviation experts who have long felt that the existing buildings in Rosslyn are too tall. The tallest buildings in Rosslyn top 312 feet.

William C. Lebegern, chief planner for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, testified at a recent county Planning Commission hearing that the proposed tower could pose a risk and urged the county to delay a decision until a final ruling by the FAA.

The Arlington County Board had been set to consider raising building heights within a two-block area around the Rosslyn Metro station at its meeting tomorrow but has put off the decision until early next year.

The move is part of a larger effort to rejuvenate the neighborhood, which features dated, 1970s-era skywalks -- slated to be removed -- and unfriendly concrete buildings. The boxy skyline could use a facelift, some business owners and citizens have argued.

"Assuming the applicant can win FAA approval, I'm willing to consider some additional height in at least this one area of Rosslyn," said County Board Chairman Chris Zimmerman (D). "As long as it helps us realize our vision for the center of Rosslyn, which means creating a good environment at the street level with good shopping and walking and, yes, a more attractive appearance of the skyline."

The proposal has raised the eyebrows of some architects and urban planners on the other side of the river who question Arlington's need for a skyline that competes with Washington's monumental vista. In the District, age-old limits on building heights have been kept in place so new buildings won't obscure the view of the U.S. Capitol or the 555-foot-tall Washington Monument.

"It's a concern for anybody who cares about the design of the nation's capital and the Mall, whether this height is going to have an adverse visual impact on this national park," said Thomas Luebke, secretary of the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts, which oversees architecture in the federal city.

Given the controversy, Jim Pebley, an Arlington planning commissioner, said the county needs to proceed with caution.

"It's an important building," Pebley said of the office tower. "We need to resolve how high we can build and still be safe."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 11:49 AM

29th floor = lowest observation deck ever?
Jokes aside, these 2 are looking very nice - the crown on the taller building looks like it'll be a stunning atrium.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 8:10 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

VA likes laying low.

If Rosslyn's after a 'signature skyline' I suppose this is a good start.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 9:04 PM

love the proposed towers!! i guess if worst comes to worse they can just lower the office tower to the same height as the condo tower in order for it to be built. itll still look good. better than nothing, and it wont be a box either.
Georgia 2006 - 9,363,941

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 9:31 PM
I'm usually right.

Quote:
"It's a concern for anybody who cares about the design of the nation's capital and the Mall, whether this height is going to have an adverse visual impact on this national park," said Thomas Luebke, secretary of the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts, which oversees architecture in the federal city.
Pffft, yes these giants will just DESTROY the visual impact of the National Mall. Ugh.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 9:37 PM

are there any updates with this project?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 3:06 AM

Yeah, what's the deal ?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:19 PM

Under Construction

*Phase I

April 2014 article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...-rosslyns.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Business Journal
JBG, Arlington leaders break ground on Rosslyn's Central Place

Rosslyn’s transformation from a 9-to-5 office canyon to an 18-hour live, work and play destination got a kick in the pants Wednesday with the groundbreaking of The JBG Cos.' 31-story Central Place residential tower.
The 355-foot-tall high-rise fronting North Lynn Street at the Rosslyn Metro station will include 377 residences and 25,000 square feet of retail space across two floors, all adjacent to a 17,000-square-foot public plaza.

The plaza — featuring outdoor seating, space for community events and a splash fountain — and the residential building, including its six levels of parking (three below-grade) are expected to deliver in 2017. The site backs up to Monday Properties recently completed 1812 N. Moore St. office tower.

The 1 million-square-foot Central Place will ultimately include two high-rises — one residential and one 521,000-square-foot office building.
May 2015, from SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Crane #3 was being assembled today:

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:26 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
As of this past weekend, the tower crane for this tower was being removed. The office tower, not shown in this photo, has an anchor tenant.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:11 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive