HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 5:38 PM

The Arcade Building site, back in the day....

Just in case anyone was wondering what was on the site of the Arcade building, before Mercantile Place:

"When the Board of Education sold this lot [2nd and Spring, site of School No.1], it bought
another, which extended from Fort Street to Spring between
Fifth and Sixth streets and had a frontage of one hundred
and twenty feet on each street. The price paid was twelve
thousand five hundred dollars. This is the lot now known
as Mercantile Place, whose retention or sale has been so much
debated and which, with its many small stores, reminds the
traveler not a little of those narrow but cosy, and often very
prosperous, European streets and alleys on both sides lined
with famous shops..."

"Sixty Years in Southern California" (1916) Harris Newmark

The Spring Street School, built 1884 on never-before-built land:

seaver center (n.d.)

seaver center (n.d.)

Thirteen years earlier, in 1871, there wasn't a lot of development on the block (the grounds of St Vincent's College are in the upper left corner):

ucla dl Augustus Koch (detail)

Near the end. The Spring Street School is on the right margin:

lapl

After 20 years, engulfed by urbanization, the School Board leased the land to developer C. Wesley Roberts for Mercantile Place (AF Rosenheim, 1904). This view is from circa 1920:

lapl

1910:

baist, plate 2, historic mapworks

After just 19 years, Mercantile Place fell for the Arcade Building (MacDonald and Couchot, 1924). The School Board had already sold its interest in the land in 1919 for $1.155 million:

lapl (n.d.)

An interesting history of the site is here

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 14, 2015 at 6:14 PM. Reason: add images

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 6:10 PM

Very interesting post t2. I don't recall seeing the Spring Street School before. -fine looking building.
__

Oh, and thanks so much for all the information on 219 N. Hill Street.

Just before I went to bed last night I happened across two more amazing snapshots.

eBay

the writing is difficult to read. (says something about Pico at the end)
At the bottom he names the make of the two cars. "my Oakland" and something "Regal".

-enlarged and lightened a bit.

looks like the "Regal" on the right-----> has two spare tires.

This one blew me away.

"Looking N. from room or sleeping Porch, 219 N. Hill St.
Mrs. Welch, landlady"

eBay

& enlarged

Look at the large flue that was added to the top of that brick chimney.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 10, 2015 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 6:22 PM

Rood Photos

"Rancher bought Cadillac Fire Chief's old car 1919 - Cad too much gas.

Oakland, Regal traded both in on new 1928 Nash (?) E.P. Lacey W Pico

2-1926

My Oakland

Regal my Regal"

(I hope he got a 1928 Nash, b/c those were gorgeous)

These have been great. Thanks e_r

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 6:43 PM

You're most welcome t2.

Thanks for the translation.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 7:08 PM

Rood image 219 N Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

eBay
__

The cars are parked in front of 223 N Hill, next door to the north to No. 219:
Quote:

eBay
__

1926 Pontiac Oakland:

old car and truck pictures

The Regal (Source title: "1926 TRIP LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA SAND DIEGO REGAL OLD CAR "):

ebay

When I googled "regal car", this is the only image I got (?)

For better info on the cars see ProphetM's post here.

Quote:
I don't recall seeing the Spring Street School before. -fine looking building.
__
You know me. I always want to know what was there before.

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 9, 2015 at 6:23 AM. Reason: amend caption

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 8:21 PM

These are the Baldwin Village Shops, as photographed by Julius Shulman in 1952. It's his "Job 1281: Robert Evans Alexander, Baldwin Village Shops (Los Angeles, Calif.),1952". The first shot shows the back of the shops from the parking lot. The nearest one seems to be a fine foods store called The Penguin.

An open-ended courtyard between the stores.

The parking lot with the Baldwin Hills behind.

The second half of the photoset shows the stores at night.

The Liquor and Spice House was at the front.

Next door was a laundry/cleaners and a Thriftimart.

The reason for this detail shot will become clear below.

All from Getty Research Institute

A post on groceteria.com gave me an address of "3621 S La Brea at Rodeo" for the Thriftimart. The 1956 CD also lists a Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakers at 3621 S La Brea. The laundry/cleaners is listed at 3625 S La Brea, and the Liquor & Spice House at 3629. The groceteria.com post has links to several pictures of the Thriftimart (including the last two images above) hosted by Flickr user srk1941. I'm assuming that's the same srk1941 (aka Steven Keylon) who posts on these pages, so, Steven, any extra info you have would be appreciated.

The detail image above shows a Mobiloil station at the right. Next to it is a neon-lit pylon. Even zoomed-in I couldn't read the sign, but when I worked out the location, I realized we'd seen it before. From my earlier post #25841, here's a daytime shot of Hody's.

eBay

To help visualize where all these stores and restaurants were, here's a 1952 aerial view. Thriftimart is just below the center, with the other Baldwin Village Shops below that. Hody's is the triangular building just north of Rodeo Road.

Historic Aerials

If this block seems familiar, we visited it recently for Julius Shulman's 1963 photoset of Gibraltar Savings.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
The cars are parked in front of 223 N Hill, next door to the north to No. 219:

1926 Pontiac Oakland:

old car and truck pictures
One minor correction - It wasn't a Pontiac Oakland, it was just an Oakland. Pontiac was introduced as a sub-brand of Oakland in the same way that LaSalle was a sub-brand of Cadillac. Every GM brand got a sub-brand that way in the 1920s, except Chevrolet which got Geo many decades later. Pontiac was the only sub-brand that overtook its parent.

Looking up Regal on Wikipedia, I find that they produced cars from 1907 to 1918, so the Regal in the 1926 photo was at least 8 years old.

Here's an article I found about Regal:
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=137816

Here's a 1913 Regal Model N 'underslung' roadster:

pinterest

World of Classic Cars

I did not find any photos of Regals without fenders as seen in the 1926 photo.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 9:47 PM

2249 S. Harvard Blvd. -- George I. Cochran Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Kansas Sebastian

Google Street View

Men of Achievement in the Great Southwest (1904) @ Hathitrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=61

There's a larger version of Kansas Sebastian's b/w photo here.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Nov 8, 2015 at 9:51 PM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 9:51 PM

While looking for tomorrow's Julius Shulman post, I came across another photoset of six images of the Baldwin Village Shops. I thought it would make more sense to keep them close to the first set. This is "Job 1107: Robert Evans Alexander, Baldwin Hills Shopping Center (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1951", taken a year before the set above. Between the two sets, you get a pretty good overview of all the stores.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Did you notice tetsu and FW, a little house west of the Gillette place , in a matching style? It's almost totally hidden by the larger Gillette home. It will fall for the Montana Grocery, which, in turn, was demolished in 1925:

Here it is ca 1882, looking so fresh and new, with a stunningly different view to the north than the one in the photos we've been looking at recently:

seaver center

When did they straighten out Hill St (it still has a kink in it at Temple)? I forget.
I noticed for the first time, just before reading this post, in the closeup you posted earlier.

uscdl (detail) full image previously posted by HossC

I'd put my money on that building being the one in shot I posted previously. One more time just for easy reference:

Also, how amazing that e_r just so happened upon photos of some of Gillette's neighbors across the street! Serendipitous, to say the least.

One last thing - t2, that's kind of a mind-blowing fact to know that Morgan of Morgan & Walls fame owned the Criss Cross house.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 11:08 PM

Octavius Morgan + 230 N Hill

Octavius Morgan owned it, designed it and built it. I was so amazed, I just put that in IMDB Triva for "Criss Cross". That and that Lancaster Place runs through the block e/w. OMG, I'm such a geek.

...and yes, that seems to be 230 N Hill in both photos. I wouldn't have guessed that a house with such fancy north and west sides would have such a plain back. The outside stairs make sense as they must lead to the wrap-around porch/balcony.

uscdl (detail) full image previously posted by tetsu

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 26, 2017 at 4:37 AM. Reason: add images

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 11:27 PM

Mr Rood's cars

Thank you so much ProphetM for your wealth of knowledge re the Oakland and Regal cars. I added the link to your post to mine. You're the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Here's a 1913 Regal Model N 'underslung' roadster:

World of Classic Cars

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Octavius Morgan owned it, designed it and built it. I was so amazed, I just put that in IMDB Triva for "Criss Cross". That and that Lancaster Place runs through the block e/w. OMG, I'm such a geek.

...and yes, that seems to be 230 N Main in both photos. I wouldn't have guessed that a house with such fancy north and west sides would have such a plain back. The outside stairs make sense as they must lead to the wrap-around porch/balcony.

previously posted by tetsu (detail)

Another take on the same subject. >> http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=12283

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 12:33 AM

Temple and Hill

Yes, I remember that one.

MichaelRyerson's too

Looking east on Temple from Hill:
The City garage (see above, right margin) was in by 1921, the open lot followed in 1925:
Quote:
Baist, 1921:

historic mapworks

MichaelRyerson's last photo makes a good contrast with the one I put up before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

View of Hill Street looking north from Temple Street, Los Angeles, ca.1906
USCdigital archive/Title Insurance and Trust / C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960
Quote:

...and now:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 9, 2015 at 2:11 AM. Reason: add 'now' image + major rewrite

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 1:23 AM

Quote:

...and yes, that seems to be 230 N Main in both photos. I wouldn't have guessed that a house with such fancy north and west sides would have such a plain back. The outside stairs make sense as they must lead to the wrap-around porch/balcony.

uscdl (detail) full image previously posted by tetsu

Everything about this is truly amazing. Even the 1906 build date. Always figured that house must have come from the 1880's or 90's. And I figured it was a single family home that was divided up later, interesting to know that it was constructed as "flats."

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 2:51 AM

Posting again to see if anyone can lend a hand?

Just posting again to see if anyone help me find the original of this photo from the LA Times of my home on Flores Street when it was first built back in 1936.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLeander5-5225 View Post
After doing some research, I found a photo of the building that I live in on South Flores Street in LA just after it was built in 1936. It's located in what was then called "Beverly Park" which was, I believe, formerly a driving range between Sweeter Avenues and Orlando on the east and west respectively and between Beverly and W. 3rd on the north and south. (Any info on the driving range? Perhaps I'll find a golf ball buried deep in my front garden!) By the way, can all you who know the history of the area well spot the oil derricks in the background that sat in the middle of La Cienega Blvd in front of what is now the Beverly Center?

In any case, the photocopy is of poor quality, as you can see. If anyone can find the original or scan a copy, I would love that. It's so fascinating to find an old pic of someplace I call "home."

Photobucket: http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/...pszahnhixo.png

And here's a copy of the building permit. Interestingly, my building was designed/contracted by the same designer/contractor as the Chateau Marmont and El Royale: W. Douglas Lee:

Photobucket: http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/...psmav8ryo4.png

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 2:56 AM

215 N Hill/"Criss Cross"/ Octavius Morgan/LA City garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
Everything about this is truly amazing. Even the 1906 build date. Always figured that house must have come from the 1880's or 90's. And I figured it was a single family home that was divided up later, interesting to know that it was constructed as "flats."
215 N Hill was still looking pretty good in the early 50s (Mr Rood's rental and the rest of the block to the north had been gone since the late 40s). The "Criss Cross" house even looks like it's sporting some fresh paint (maybe that was done for the film). This is looking west at Court and Hill from City Hall:

ebay previously posted by e_r (detail)

Another angle ("Criss Cross", 1949):

silent locations

Looking NW over the intersection of Temple and a straightened-out Hill St. By 1955 everything was gone. Then they took the hill away. The LA City garage, and its open lot (plus much east of it), fell for the current Hall of Records (1961):

uscdl previously posted by HossC (detail)

PS

BTW, the apt building (in the image above) on Temple, west of Hill at No. 406, was called "The Majestic". It doesn't have much time left. Next door to the east, on the SW corner of Temple and Hill, was once a single-story commercial building, also designed, built and owned by Octavius Morgan:

silent locations

Anyway, there are two fun Silent Locations pages on these environs here and here.

Harold Lloyd in front of The Majestic apartments filming "Take a Chance" (1918):

silent locations

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 26, 2017 at 4:36 AM. Reason: add PS and then rewrite PS

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:36 PM

I don't know about "twinkling star lights" The stars were just cardboard or thin plywood tacked to the ceiling. I don't remember there being any lights associated with them. Occasionally one would fall down and it was just a star shape.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
I love these pictures for the telling details that reveal so much about life then in contrast to life now. For me, the most poignant detail of the Cornell Theater series is the two exterior shots. Note that kids have just left their bikes outside while they went in to see the show. Would kids now be so foolish as to leave their bikes unlocked and unattended? The world has changed.
On the other hand, it WAS Burbank, a small town within the big city. We did not lock things much until the late 60's or so.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This Julius Shulman photoset of the Aldama Apartments has both color and black & white pictures. Where they overlap, I've used the color image. We're looking at "Job 3681: Allyn E. Morris, Aldama Apartments (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1964".

These kids must be in their late 50s now - I wonder if they know that these images still exist.

Some of the side details, and a hint at the view from the apartments.

I sometimes tweak the colors of the images I post, but I've left these exactly as they were!

The interiors are still quite striking in black & white.

The black & white version of this image has someone standing by the unusual triangular hole.

Here's the baby's room.

And finally, the bathroom.

The Aldama Apartments are still standing at 5030-5036 Aldama Street in Highland Park. It looks like the original steps have been replaced, and the center flight has been straightened. The property websites give a build date of 1961. For anyone who's interested, there are some recent interior pictures in an article at la.curbed.com.

GSV
For any arts and crafts fans out there, look at the large white jug/bottle next to the leather and wood round chair in the entryway. It is actually a glass spring water bottle (5 gallon) which has had textures made of string and possibly cardboard glued on and the whole thing painted white. Décor R Us!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos