HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:28 AM

^^^Top photos
Thanks again, NYguy

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 2:37 PM

Great photos.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 2:22 AM
Ex Houstonian

Went to NYC for the first time in almost ten years, heres some photos I took while there.

DSC_1839

Last edited by photoLith; May 29, 2013 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 1:05 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ One of the finest pics I've encountered so far in this very thread. Love the last one!

Good job.

Peter Adams

Chris Lord

Last edited by hunser; May 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Went to NYC for the first time in almost ten years, heres some photos I took while there.

Like the way it glows...

Slides
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...8.html#slide/1

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...173884778.html

The Art of Designing Luxury Model Apartments
The art of the sample apartment is aimed at getting buyers to spend millions: 'The less they have to think...the more likely they are to buy'

May 30, 2013
By ALYSSA ABKOWITZ

Quote:
On a recent morning, Gary Barnett walked through a black door and entered the dark Venetian-plastered foyer of an apartment in midtown Manhattan. A brass wire chandelier shaped like a branch hung overhead; a walnut console attached to the wall appeared to float nearby. Both were overshadowed by a large metal LED star, 5 feet by 5 feet, that hung next to the front door. "Is that the art installation?" asked Mr. Barnett, president of New York-based developer Extell Development. "Don't you think it's a little too sparkly?"

There is no shortage of glittery things in the new model apartment of Extell's One57, one of the most ambitious—and expensive—new condominium buildings with a hotel in New York. Buyers include fashion executive Silas Chou, who is in contract for a unit on the 82nd floor for about $50 million, and a group of investors led by hedge-fund executive William Ackman who are in contract for a 13,554-square-foot penthouse for more than $90 million.

While the building's upper floors readily show off their jaw-dropping views—about 70% of One57's 92 units are already sold—Extell is betting that its dramatically staged model on the 41st floor will help sell the building's lower levels. The company is spending more on this model than it normally would and decided to design the model earlier than usual in the process, while construction was still continuing. "Once people come in here, this line is going to sell quickly," Mr. Barnett said.

Initial sketches of a master bedroom in One57, which features a bleached fox fur bedspread.

It took five tries to get the right shade of acid green for this den/study in One 57, while lower bookshelves are intended to make the room look bigger. An initial sketch is shown.

Quote:
To create One57's model, Extell's design team said they started by imagining who would live in the unit. The team envisioned an executive in fashion or business who has a grown child. With that in mind, Mr. Mann said he decided on a "fanciful, slightly over-the-top look" with texture playing a big role.

Mr. Mann, who is known for his dramatic looks that tend toward contemporary and eclectic, said he doesn't think the fanciful design of One57's model represents a risk. He said that at the extremely exclusive end of the market, a model that was a bit over the top is necessary.

Designing the model while the building was still under construction made the process much more difficult. Some art galleries, for example, wanted Extell to take out additional insurance because their pieces would be on a construction site. To overcome the issue, the design team borrowed a couple of pieces from Mr. Mann's own collection and found other galleries who were willing to work with them without needing additional insurance.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:07 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:04 PM

That video. Oh no. Just... oh no. Gary really needs to fire his decorator.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:31 PM

Wow, that decorator is terrible. That LED mirror abomination is particularly awful.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 2:18 AM

Oh... my... gawd(y). If that crap is what passes for "haute" interior design nowadays, then I'm almost elated that I remain poor white trash instead of being upper crust, hoity toity. After watching that video, I might have to take a week or two off from buying lottery tickets.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:50 AM
Ex Houstonian

I dont see what the big deal is with the interior design, I think its quite nice.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:24 PM

Photo I took yesterday:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

what's the building under construction to the right of One57 in this pic?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 5:23 PM
Astorian

Brought my camera to work only to turn it on and have it tell me the battery is dead.

So I took this quick picture with my cell phone camera.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
what's the building under construction to the right of One57 in this pic?
1715 Broadway.

More interesting is the yellow brick building on the left, which is a Ralph Walker building in Hell's Kitchen that's about to get a radical makeover into luxury apartments:

http://observer.com/2012/08/50th-street/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Anyone know what the red crane in the middleish left side of this photo is for?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Anyone know what the red crane in the middleish left side of this photo is for?
The Charles:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...may_1.php#more

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 10:01 PM

Aah, thanks! For some reason I was thinking the Charles was closer to the UN.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:51 PM
Gigatall Skyscraper

They really need to re-do the demo condo. One thing in particular that bothered me was the fox fur bedspread. It's just disgusting what some people do with their money.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
They really need to re-do the demo condo. One thing in particular that bothered me was the fox fur bedspread. It's just disgusting what some people do with their money.
It looks like a parody of how a BRIC nouveau riche spendthrift would decorate his or her home. If I were a prospective buyer from one of those countries I'd feel insulted.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:52 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive