HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 5:48 PM
BANNED

hey now, I grew up in that neighborhood (maryvale) but on the much more dangerous Phoenix portion.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 10:52 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox
Concerts? The last few I went to were at Glendale, erm Jobbing.com Arena, or Cricket Pavillion - and there are now big concernts being booked for the AZ Cardinal's stadium.

I mean real concerts. Not corporate snooze fests featuring bands that have been playing since my mother was in diapers and now are completely irrelevant. I mean, I know some people (for reasons Ill never understand), pay top dollar to see bands like U2 in big stadiums, but I meant small, intimate concerts. Venues like the Clubhouse (where Im seeing a show tonight), the Marquee, etc.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam
I mean real concerts. Not corporate snooze fests featuring bands that have been playing since my mother was in diapers and now are completely irrelevant. I mean, I know some people (for reasons Ill never understand), pay top dollar to see bands like U2 in big stadiums, but I meant small, intimate concerts. Venues like the Clubhouse (where Im seeing a show tonight), the Marquee, etc.
Wow, I couldn't understand this post. U2 does not make real concerts? Small intimate concerts are the real concerts? What's going on here?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2006, 8:54 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC2001
Wow, I couldn't understand this post. U2 does not make real concerts? Small intimate concerts are the real concerts? What's going on here?
Sorry I think U2 is the definition of garbage when it comes to music. They are pretentious, annoying yuppie idiots. I personally don't want to sit in a crowd of 20K people when I go to a concert, I want to be able to actually see the band, have people interact, etc. If you like U2 thats cool I guess, you are probably older than I am and "get it" or something, to me and most of my friend U2 is a punch line. Need I say more than "1, 2, 3, 14"?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 6:21 PM

I see. I'm not a fan of U2 either and I also only know their Apple commercial song, but I wasn't sure why you were calling a 20K attended event not a real concert. I guess it's all relative. I think the concerts you like are more of jam sessions in a bar. Which is awesome too.

Will anyone email me when the lofts at Westgate become available? Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 10:56 AM

I'll keep you posted.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 2:37 AM

Post Spring Training Coo

The Dodgers in Metro Phoenix makes a lot more sense than in Florida. It's a 5-6 hour drive for Dodgers fans. PLAY BALL!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...ium-ON-CP.html

Glendale working to lure Dodgers to Arizona

Ken Alltucker and Carrie Watters
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 13, 2006 09:08 PM

The Los Angeles Dodgers are negotiating a deal with the city of Glendale to relocate the storied baseball franchise's spring training operations from Florida to a new publicly financed stadium in the Valley that could be shared with the Chicago White Sox.

Glendale city politicians were hammering out the stadium agreement in a closed-door meeting on Monday, and financing and other details will not be made public until later this week.

A Cactus League stadium would add to Glendale's professional sports lineup that includes an arena for the Coyotes hockey team and the Arizona Cardinals' University of Phoenix Stadium, which will host college football's championship in January and the Super Bowl in 2008.

But several hurdles remain before Major League Baseball comes to Glendale.

Glendale City Council will meet Wednesday to discuss and potentially act on the plan; the Dodgers and White Sox must execute formal agreements with the city and possibly a private developer; and state funds could be difficult to come by.

The city of Goodyear and the Cleveland Indians also are seeking money from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority to build a $77.5 million spring training stadium. The plan has been endorsed by every major West Valley city except Glendale. The state will hold a public hearing Friday to begin considering the Goodyear/Indians' proposal.

Dodgers officials met Monday with Indian River County officials to discuss the team's proposal to relocate from Vero Beach, Fla. to Glendale.

"We're saddened by this," said Joseph Baird, Indian River County Administrator. "We've had a great relationship with the Dodgers for 58 years. Unfortunately, they have had to make a business decision."

The Dodgers would not discuss their plans publicly other than to confirm talks with Glendale over a memorandum of understanding to move to a new stadium. The team will "explore all options," said Camille Johnston, the Dodgers' senior vice president of communications.

The Dodgers have played spring training ball at "Dodgertown" stadium in Vero Beach, Fla. since 1948, a year after Jackie Robinson became the first African-American major leaguer and nine years before the team moved from Brooklyn to Los Angeles.

The team's fan base gravitated West, too, and a Spring Training facility within a six-hour drive of the team's home stadium makes more sense than remaining in Florida.

"They are dealing with Arizona because they're a team from the West Coast," said Michael Zito, Indian River County's assistant county administrator who met Dodgers' officials Monday.

The Dodgers' stadium lease with Indian River County does not expire until 2021. The Dodgers have the option of opting out of the lease if the team buys the stadium or pays off the county's bonds.

A deal to relocate the Chicago White Sox from their spring training home at Tucson Electric Park to a new stadium could be more problematic. The the team leaves Tucson, it must find a replacement major league team.

"Glendale has come to us," said Scott Reifert, the White Sox vice president of communications. "It's not done out of any dissatisfaction we have with Pima County. We have a first-class facility there."

White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who lives in the Valley, called Pima County Administrator Chuck Huckleberry on Friday to let him know a proposal to move could be forthcoming.

Still Huckleberry, who helped negotiate the deal that brought the White Sox to Arizona in 1998, said he's not too worried as he has a contract with the team that runs through 2013.

In the contract, the Chicago ball club must satisfy the county with a replacement team if they opt to leave early, Huckleberry said.

He could not speculate who the White Sox might offer as a replacement.

"That's up to them (the White Sox) to bring someone who is acceptable, similar in economic impact and appealing to the folks of Tucson," he said.

Pima County spent $38 million to build Tucson Electric Park as home to the White Sox and the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Tucson also hosts the Colorado Rockies at the county's older Hi Corbett Field.

Huckleberry nixed speculation that the Rockies could be offered as the replacement team. "That doesn't do us any good," he said.

Huckleberry said he did not begrudge Glendale's negotiations. "It's just that everyone has to understand that we have a contractual relationship with the White Sox. That contract does all the talking for us," he said.

Southern Arizona business leaders have questioned the use of public funds to move a baseball team from one part of the state to another.

"Why would the state's sports authority want to build a stadium to lure a team out of Tucson? We're part of the state, too," said Jack Camper, President of Tucson Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce.

Camper said losing the White Sox would harm Tucson-area hotels, restaurants and shops.

"Let's face it, they were the world champions last year. When the White Sox play, the stadium is pretty well filled up. It draws a lot of tourism revenue and it draws a lot of ink," Camper said.

Gov. Janet Napolitano has previously spoke against Arizona cities recruiting teams from other cities with Cactus League teams.

"We'd prefer not to see cities battling with one another over Cactus League teams," said Jeanine L'Ecuyer, spokeswoman in the governor's office. "But they generally don't check with us."

City officials have kept mum about the exact location and financial aspects of the deal. Unlike Goodyear who got voter approval in 2004 for $10 million worth of bonds to go toward construction of a ballpark, Glendale has not.

The city provided a $180 million subsidy to build Jobing.com Arena for the Phoenix Coyotes, its first major sporting venue.

They chipped in far less, about $9.5 for the Cardinal's stadium. The Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, funded by a rental car and hotel tax, covered the majority of that project, contributing nearly $300 million.

The sports authority also was created to refurbish and build the county's Cactus League facilities, the two newest facilities in Peoria and Surprise.

Officials with the sports authority previously had said they have about $48 million left to pledge to one more spring training facility, preferably a two-team facility.

That could change as the authority analyzes whether it gained any flexibility as it recently refinanced bonds, Board Chairman Larry Landry

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 3:09 AM

The only part I don't like about this is Glendale trying to get the White Sox to move in too. We can't have cities within the state/Cactus League itself fighting over each other for teams. I think that it makes more sense for the Dodgers to wind up in Goodyear with the Indians - it'd be even closer to LA for fans. Plus, it'd fullfill the TSA's desire for a two team facility...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 3:17 AM

Oh, one more thing...looks like the Renaissance Hotel is 'topped' out. Looks pretty nice there with the Coyotes arena and Westgate. Has me hoping for more hi-rises in the area soon.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 2:52 PM

Westgate

The Westgate site has added quite a bit since the last time I visited. Here's an image from the construction slide show dated November 1st. The Renaissance Hotel is in the background...looking good. I predict this is going to be a boom for the west side, raising it to a entirely different level within the metroplex. The web site is worth a tour http://www.westgateaz.com/

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 3:36 PM

Grand opening is this Friday, Nov. 17th. I think I'm going to catch the new James Bond movie there and check out the rest of the place.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 6:21 PM

Westgate's first phase opens Friday

Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 15, 2006 12:00 AM

Glendale's sports facilities are serving as the catalyst for a new breed of development: a retail and entertainment village rising from virtually untouched suburban land.

Westgate City Center, anchored by Jobing.com Arena and University of Phoenix Stadium, will bring 6.5 million square feet of shops, restaurants, offices, movie theaters and residential units to a Glendale plot once dominated by cotton fields.

The first 500,000 square feet of the $1 billion project will be unveiled Friday, though just a handful of businesses will be open.
advertisement

By building on agricultural fields, developers and cities do not have to bother with obstacles that often accompany older, often contaminated urban sites, said John Shreve, a principal with Kansas City, Mo.-based HOK Sport, which worked on the design of both the Glendale hockey arena and nearby football stadium.

"You're not getting into the problem of acquiring property from lots of different property owners," Shreve said. "And with a lot of sites in urban areas, you're having to contend with existing environmental issues."

Pairing sports venues and retail centers in outlying areas has been done before. Twelve miles west of downtown Kansas City, Kan., developers built the 400-acre Village West project around a minor league ballpark and the Kansas Speedway, home of NASCAR races.

Just this week, the Oakland A's said they would build a new ballpark on a vacant 143-acre site in the Oakland suburb of Fremont, about 20 miles south of their home at McAfee Coliseum.

But Westgate looks to exceed those projects in both size and scope.

The half-square-mile development is combining retail, residential, commercial office and other uses in an effort to create a pedestrian village that will remain vibrant around the clock.

When completed over the next seven to 10 years, Westgate will boast five hotels, including a 90,000-square-foot conference center, 25 restaurants, 2,000 residential units, and 4 million square feet of shops and office space.

On Friday, visitors will be able to catch a movie at Westgate's 20-screen AMC cineplex, crane their necks at the 30-plus billboard ads above and be hypnotized by the $5 million Bellagio-style water fountain.

"Westgate has raised the entertainment bar to a new level," said Steve Ellman, chairman and chief executive of the Ellman Cos., the center's developer. "Westgate will truly be a crown jewel in the Valley real estate market."

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 9:59 AM

Post Westgate living:

Glendale townhomes taking shape
Urban-living communities near stadium expected to finish in coming months

Maura J. Halpern
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 21, 2006

When Kelly Liebermann bought a townhouse at the Quarter in the Westgate City Center, he was able to view his new neighborhood only through online virtual tours and colorful renderings.

With Friday's debut of Westgate's first half-million square feet, Liebermann and other future residents can get an idea of the urban village they'll call home.

The Quarter, a 171-unit luxury townhome community built by Trammell Crow Residential, is under construction east of Jobing.com Arena. Prices for the loft-style residences range from $329,900 to $534,900, and buyers have snatched up 157 units.

By the time Liebermann moves in early next summer, several more restaurants and stores will be open at Westgate, such as Yard House, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, Guess and McFarlane Toys.

Liebermann, an Arizona Cardinals season ticket holder, has watched Westgate come to life while attending football games.

"It's really exciting to see things come together, it's alive and real," said Liebermann, a Phoenix firefighter. "There will be so many things to do between the restaurants, shops and games."

Also under construction in Westgate's high-tech hub is Trammell Crow Residential's second project, Alexan Westgate. Scheduled to open early next year, Alexan will include 251 apartment units.

Across Glendale Avenue at the 151-acre Zanjero project, residents will move in next month at the 308-unit Courtney Vista Apartments, which offers one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments.

Amenities include indoor racquetball and basketball courts, cybercafe, theater and dry-cleaning service.

Work also is under way on Archstone Zanjero Apartments, a 253-unit community along Zanjero Boulevard being built by Colorado-based Archstone-Smith. Residents are expected to move in mid-2007.

"We have plenty of single-family homes in Glendale, so for people who want to try something different, the option will be available for an urban-style living environment," Glendale planning director Jon Froke said.

Next year, construction will begin at the Districts at Zanjero, a 51-acre mixed-used project next to Cabela's that will be built by Nevada-based Marathon Commercial Development. It will include 500,000 square feet of retail, 200,000 square feet of office space, a 20-story boutique hotel, three midrise residential towers and loft condominiums.

The project's grand opening will coincide with Super Bowl XLII at University of Phoenix Stadium.

"The folks that live here will add another dimension to the pedestrian traffic," Froke said. "The residential component fits in really well with the destination feel we're trying to achieve."

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 4:40 PM

Has anyone been out to WestGate yet? Thinking of catching a movie out there this weekend. Are any of the restaurants open yet?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 6:25 PM

I've been out there twice, once when it opened and once for a hockey game.

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant is the only one open, and it's out in the parking lot...not really attached to the rest of the place. The movie theatre is nice, but nothing special really. They were supposed to have a cafe in the lobby and premium reserved seating, but I guess they dumped that idea. Ticket sales are inside the lobby which is something I haven't seen in Arizona before.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 2:09 AM
dance till you drop

Its nice to see my Home town og Glendale growing UP, the projects look great

BTW Look out , it looks as if Boise State is on there way to play in the new stadium for the fiesta bowl

wish i could be there for that game, but i will be in town next week

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 9:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy
The movie theatre is nice, but nothing special really. They were supposed to have a cafe in the lobby and premium reserved seating, but I guess they dumped that idea. Ticket sales are inside the lobby which is something I haven't seen in Arizona before.
yeah it was originally supposed to be a Lowes but they pulled out late. Lowes was going to put those ideas forth.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 7:04 PM

Lame.

Why are people afraid to do something different? Having those things would have made it worth to travel a bit further to see a movie there...now, I can just go to the closest one to my house and save the time and gas.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 11:24 PM
UrbanPHX

BCS Championship | Phoenix stadium becomes big-event magnet

GLENDALE, Ariz. — About 30 million to 40 million are expected to watch Monday's Fox telecast of the national-championship game and when they do, the Phoenix area will take a step toward becoming the country's sports mecca.

Like Houston in the 1960s, when the "Eighth Wonder of the World" — the Astrodome — was all the rage, or New Orleans in the 1970s when the Louisiana Superdome made the Crescent City the No. 1 stop for major events, University of Phoenix Stadium is poised to be a location of choice for major sports that shop their championships around the country.

Miami has the beach. Detroit and Houston have sparkling new stadiums. But few, if any, cities combine Glendale's state-of-the-art facility with all the Valley of the Sun can offer. And it is the only stadium west of San Antonio that has the seating capacity necessary to host both a football championship, such as Monday's Bowl Championship Series title game, and college basketball's Final Four.

Fiesta Bowl president John Junker has watched national football champions crowned at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

But he knew for the Fiesta Bowl to solidify its reputation as a major player in college football, it needed a missing ingredient: an eye-popping facility. The same explains why the NFL wasn't in a hurry to bring the Super Bowl back to Tempe after the 1996 game.

"It's not always well understood that we have to compete to participate in the BCS," Junker said. "... It became clear in the '90s that we would need to be in a situation where we would have the opportunity to upgrade the facility, and I think we responded."

The stadium is the crown jewel that could give the Phoenix market a leg up when competing with cities that traditionally have dominated national sports events, such as Miami, New Orleans and those in Southern California.

The new economics of big spenders and luxury suites have changed the game.

Excitement will reach an even higher peak when Super Bowl XLII comes to Glendale in 2008. The stadium will play host to an NCAA men's basketball regional in 2009, and that could lead to a Final Four a few years later.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 3:36 AM

Here's some pictures of the Westgate City Center on New Years Eve.

http://gosw.about.com/od/southwestph...t-Westgate.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest