HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 8:47 PM

I'm in the minority here but don't mind this project. Overall, I think cheaper materials work much better when applied to a modern design. On the other hand, using cheap materials on a "traditional" design always ends up looking like poor (10 Rit, Symphony House, and nearly every faux historic townhouse build in the past 40 years).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 12:11 AM

I would have liked it a whole lot better if they just used one color for the facade....

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 1:02 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I'm in the minority here but don't mind this project. Overall, I think cheaper materials work much better when applied to a modern design. On the other hand, using cheap materials on a "traditional" design always ends up looking like poor (10 Rit, Symphony House, and nearly every faux historic townhouse build in the past 40 years).
With all due respect (and I mean that), I personally like 10 Rit a lot, I like Symphony House, and regarding "faux" historic looking houses, if they have a flemish bond, moulding etc, then I like them some too. "Real" shutters on a new house are not common, but are the best!!

I like the "traditional" look. If I can get that look in a new house/condo with modern conveniences to boot, I'll happily take it.

Not an attack, I respect you McBane, but I respectfully disagree with you on his point.

Cheap materials look bad on anyhting, but decent "modern" materials on a traditional design are cool (IMHO).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
With all due respect (and I mean that), I personally like 10 Rit a lot, I like Symphony House, and regarding "faux" historic looking houses, if they have a flemish bond, moulding etc, then I like them some too. "Real" shutters on a new house are not common, but are the best!!

I like the "traditional" look. If I can get that look in a new house/condo with modern conveniences to boot, I'll happily take it.

Not an attack, I respect you McBane, but I respectfully disagree with you on his point.

Cheap materials look bad on anyhting, but decent "modern" materials on a traditional design are cool (IMHO).
Decent modern materials on a traditional design can be ok. But rarely used. They usually cheap out. 10 Rit is ok. Not a well-designed, impressive exterior but ok. I can see how others might disagree and think it is better (or worse) than I do. Everyone has their own taste. But the boundaries of personal taste only stretch so far. I think Symphony House is objectively hideous and an affront to the eyes...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Decent modern materials on a traditional design can be ok. But rarely used. They usually cheap out. 10 Rit is ok. Not a well-designed, impressive exterior but ok. I can see how others might disagree and think it is better (or worse) than I do. Everyone has their own taste. But the boundaries of personal taste only stretch so far. I think Symphony House is objectively hideous and an affront to the eyes...
Although I recognize that it's likely the most criticized modern high-rise in Philly, I think even Symphony House has redeeming value and is in the eye of the beholder.

I understand the notion that buildings like SH and 10 Ritt are not constructed with the same technique and prowess as historic art-deco buildings. However, I do appreciate the effort to at least preserve and give homage to a vernacular that is very prevalent in Philly. For modern buildings, these are all built with solid concrete, brick or limestone materials and fit in pretty well with their context and have character. Could their interpretations have been improved upon? Absolutely. Are they complete failures? Absolutely not.

Overall, I think the most positive trend for Philly is that design standards and execution have significantly improved over the past decade. More daring and unconventional designs are not only encouraged but expected, which surely wasn't the case 15-20 years ago. Comparing discussions of design in Philadelphia to other cities, it does seem like Philadelphians are much more critical than most, and the pervasive "woe is me" mentality is completely unwarranted.

What's exciting is that the city appears to have finally reached a real estate value tipping point where new projects are frequently popping up. With the trajectory it is on and its revitalization phase still relatively young, even more exciting design definitely lies ahead for the city.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Mar 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 2:21 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post

We're all good here. I've said this before and it bears repeating. Even the ugliest new construction (whatever your definition may be) adds jobs, adds tax revenue, adds people, adds to our skyline, and makes better use of whatever was there before. While we may all have disagreements about design, we all know that these projects make the city better. Even those the ugly faux historic ones

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
We're all good here. I've said this before and it bears repeating. Even the ugliest new construction (whatever your definition may be) adds jobs, adds tax revenue, adds people, adds to our skyline, and makes better use of whatever was there before. While we may all have disagreements about design, we all know that these projects make the city better. Even those the ugly faux historic ones
I think particularly ugly is a bad long term investment and such a historic and major city in the USA doesn't deserve it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 8:17 PM

15th and Walnut
Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 9:24 AM

U-City High school demo prep (asbestos abatement) taken Sunday:
608 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

610 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

613 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

616 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

617 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

618 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Drew Elementary is gone completely:
615 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

614 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 11:23 AM

I guess work on the observation deck area is underway - these signs are all over the Shops at Liberty Place.

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 12:18 PM
BANNED

I was just thinking/wondering about the observation deck the other day. It wouldve been nice if comcast had incorporated something like that into either of their buildings, but this will be a decent alternative.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I was just thinking/wondering about the observation deck the other day. It wouldve been nice if comcast had incorporated something like that into either of their buildings, but this will be a decent alternative.
They did.

The lobby of the Four Seasons will be on the TOP floor of CITC.

The rooms will actually be below the lobby. So in essence, you'll take the elevator all the way up...check in...then go down to your room.

I assume the public amenities (restaurants, etc) will be on this floor as well..so in short, your observation deck is coming.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
15th and Walnut
Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly
I really wish this one was taller. It's such a well designed modern building, it's a shame to be only 3 stories and not more visible.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
They did.

The lobby of the Four Seasons will be on the TOP floor of CITC.

The rooms will actually be below the lobby. So in essence, you'll take the elevator all the way up...check in...then go down to your room.

I assume the public amenities (restaurants, etc) will be on this floor as well..so in short, your observation deck is coming.
Yes, but how will they feel about the riff-raff (like me) hanging out in their lobby, gawking out the windows?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:38 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
Yes, but how will they feel about the riff-raff (like me) hanging out in their lobby, gawking out the windows?
Assuming you can legally have an adult beverage, buy a beer/glass of wine and gawk away from the bar/restaurant. And, it will probably be cheaper than the admission ticket for the observation deck at Liberty 1.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
I got a job offer from Comcast for a software dev job last year, and the view from CITC was one of the more tempting perks, but I eventually turned it down (just wasn't the right time for me yet).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Article on the Gallery renovation: merchants being booted complaining (unsuccessfully) to City Council:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-city-council/

But still no real information on when renovations and changes to the building will begin.
Don't see that it's been brought up here, but this month's PHL Mag says that Bloomingdale's is looking for space on east Market for a full-service, full-blown store.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, they want you there.

Hotel lobbies and bars are becoming something of a public space.

The examples that are particularly bustling (I'm thinking of the Wythe, Ace, and Nomad in NYC, to a lesser extent the Palomar and Monaco here) host non-guests as a way of activating their spaces with energy all hours of the day.

You think that kind of energy they want is going to come from a bunch of blue hairs with fanny-packs? No. It's coming from the locals.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:36 AM

Taney and Girard - 2600 block of Girard
Nice sized development. Update from NakedPhilly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development