HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:16 AM
Always running Late

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:27 AM
Mr.Boisean

Oh wow guys.

Just...wow.

Why does this stupid SLC vs. Boise comparison keep getting made?

I think its safe to say that BOTH us Boise forumers and you SLC forumers dont like that comparison to be drawn. SLCers think that SLC is better than Boise in many ways, and Boiseans think that Boise is better... and we (read: both Boiseans and SLCers) are all correct. Quantifying and qualifying your opinions to each other dont mean shit...they are still just opinions. Comparing the cities, just on that basis alone, doesnt make sense.

So why do we keep doing it here? Whats the point?

Ive got to agree with wrendog though.. Boiseguy, this time you are really painting with a wide brush. But whoever said he was trolling... no way, come on... we all know what legit trolls behave like and that would not track as such.

Please dont take any offense what Im about to say Boiseguy; I think you might have been more articulate in this thread if, instead of stringing a bunch of thoughts together with elipsis (...), you compiled them into more congruent, full statements. That and I find that a bit difficult to read. But with all good critisism comes a compliment; I like your contributions to this forum and I enjoy your opinions.

Anyway... Boise forumers and SLC forumers back to your corners and cool off, this as usual is going nowhere.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:53 AM
Always running Late

fair enough...

I am not a boise native.. and I'm new to the forum, and boise is now my home.. so i thought it good to compare slc and boise. since they share similar region... the dialog above was in heat of the moment response while we both were online at the same time... I felt as if I had to explain more..when my opinion is being questioned/attacked. it seems there's an old group of u all.. that have already had discussions on certain topics.. and they seem as if touchy issues..
so being new and throwing shit out there... for discussion purposes... turns into a "situation" rather than a discussion.

I appologize for being new and not knowing such things...but I think my previous comments on the lds faith has blackballed me with many forumers in slc.. its apparent with the level of sensitivity shown in responses...

I'll stick to whats outside my window for now on... sorry to offend anyone...I've deleted myself out of this thread....

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post

Salt Lake City

I peeked in this thread to see what kind of trouble Boiseguy was getting himself into and saw this work of modern art. Shouldn't the Bible be replaced with another book? j/k

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 8:27 PM
Always running Late

LOL.. someone's gotta bring liveliness to slc... now if we could only move the shit I stir up.. onto the streets.. then slc would be hoppin.. or we'd be on cops....

I don't know if I have a wifebeater to look the part though...

Last edited by Boiseguy; Jun 7, 2007 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 9:43 PM
Exit 298

I miss the days of Denver vs. Salt Lake.

Sorry to spoil the movie, but ....

SSP I - "Denver v. Salt Lake" - Denver wins.
SSP II - "Salt Lake v. Boise" - Salt Lake wins.
SSP III - "Boise v. Provo" - Boise wins.

Coming soon ... SSP IV - "Denver, Boise, Salt Lake, and Provo gang up against New York." - New York wins.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 12:37 AM
Let It Rise!

Murray Intermountain Medical Center

This photo was edited to show what taller high rises at the Murry Intermountain Medical Center would look like.

This is the original photo of the Intermountain Medical Center in Murray.
Photo was taken by SLC Projects.

Last edited by ctobsl; Jul 1, 2007 at 8:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 1:18 AM
Let It Rise!

Downtown Salt Lake City with more Sky Scrapers.

Can you imagine looking out your window and seeing something like this?

Original photo was taken by SmilingBob

Last edited by ctobsl; May 3, 2012 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 8:42 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe View Post
Not to knock the potential of SLC getting taller tower(s) or anything, but you guys do claim to have that increadible Mountainous backdrop of your City. Which BTW I agree is pretty decent, I'm just wondering if that would be in jeopardy with a bunch of 40+/50+ story skyscrapers blocking the view of those peaks? Maybe that might have an influence on the approval committe? If there is one? Or possibly people with more influence on SLC's development? I don't know? There is nothing to back up my theory, but it's just a thought, what do you guys think?
The mountains near the SLC downtown area are not as beautiful as those to the south. They are torn apart from mining to the west and nearly covered with homes to the north and east. Buildings would definitely not take away from the view, but I am sure those opposed to change will use whatever line it takes to prevent buildings from being built... and we all know the majority of Utahn's are opposed to change. Look at the last presidential results.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 9:08 PM
They all float down here

Actually most Salt Lakers are faily progressive when it comes to building towers. I've never really heard of major problems stemming from downtown development that might block the views of mountains. I do know that when the Wells Fargo Center (American Stores Towers at the time) went up, people living in the twin American Towers didn't want it built because it would block their views, but the city essentially said that was the risk of living downtown. Which is pretty funny, since the tower was originally proposed for West Valley City, but they said no to the idea because they didn't want a tower of that height in their city. That's really the only event I've ever heard concerning skyscrapers being developed in Salt Lake.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 12:09 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I miss the days of Denver vs. Salt Lake.

Sorry to spoil the movie, but ....

SSP I - "Denver v. Salt Lake" - Denver wins.
SSP II - "Salt Lake v. Boise" - Salt Lake wins.
SSP III - "Boise v. Provo" - Boise wins.

Coming soon ... SSP IV - "Denver, Boise, Salt Lake, and Provo gang up against New York." - New York wins.
If it is any consolation, the "Downtown" SLC area has much more happening than "Downtown" Phoenix (Metro area 4 million), and "Downtown" Los Angeles (12+ million). The same can't be said for the entire central area, but SLC has a good centralization of stuff to do, especially when it comes to nightlife and shopping.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
If it is any consolation, the "Downtown" SLC area has much more happening than "Downtown" Phoenix (Metro area 4 million), and "Downtown" Los Angeles (12+ million). The same can't be said for the entire central area, but SLC has a good centralization of stuff to do, especially when it comes to nightlife and shopping.
PhxSprawler, I'm from Los Angeles and ten years, or even seven years ago I would have had to agree with you. However, that is not the case anymore. Billions upon Billions of dollars are pouring into the downtown area. Huge projects from multi-nationals are being added an atonishing rate. The Los Angeles of today is changing dramatically. The downtowns of L.A. and Salt Lake will both be phenomenal five years from now.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 11:14 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
PhxSprawler, I'm from Los Angeles and ten years, or even seven years ago I would have had to agree with you. However, that is not the case anymore. Billions upon Billions of dollars are pouring into the downtown area. Huge projects from multi-nationals are being added an atonishing rate. The Los Angeles of today is changing dramatically. The downtowns of L.A. and Salt Lake will both be phenomenal five years from now.
Well, I stand corrected then. I have tried to keep up with downtown LA projects, and it looks like it will be fantastic. It still seems the nightlife is still much better outside the downtown area, like Phoenix, but I am sure both cities are catching up or surpassing downtown SLC quickly.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 12:10 AM

PhxSprawler,I guess to be accurate we would have to say that Downtown L.A. has become a great area during the day. It's still about five to ten years out from having a night life that is of a large and concentrated enough area to feel a real centralized atmosphere, say like the 3rd street promenade, etc. So many large condo towers are under construction downtown and those thousands of new residents are demanding nightlife options. Finally, Downtown L.A. is dealing with it's huge homeless population. It is an interesting city with so many downtowns scattered throughout the metro area. My business took me to dozens of different neighborhoods, where I would spend time for several days on film or t.v.shoots. Places like Old Pasadena or Venice Beach,Ventura Blvd or Sunset Plaza. As you probably know, the list of core villages in L.A. are endless,"kind of like having Park City Main Streets scattered throughout the metro". Did you have a favorite locale in L.A.?

Downtown Salt Lake's future, with what is now under development is very exciting.

Tell us what you think the timetable for downtown Phoenix will be.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 4, 2007 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 2:20 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
PhxSprawler,I guess to be accurate we would have to say that Downtown L.A. has become a great area during the day. It's still about five to ten years out from having a night life that is of a large and concentrated enough area to feel a real centralized atmosphere, say like the 3rd street promenade, etc. So many large condo towers are under construction downtown and those thousands of new residents are demanding nightlife options. Finally, Downtown L.A. is dealing with it's huge homeless population. It is an interesting city with so many downtowns scattered throughout the metro area. My business took me to dozens of different neighborhoods, where I would spend time for several days on film or t.v.shoots. Places like Old Pasadena or Venice Beach,Ventura Blvd or Sunset Plaza. As you probably know, the list of core villages in L.A. are endless,"kind of like having Park City Main Streets scattered throughout the metro". Did you have a favorite locale in L.A.?

Downtown Salt Lake's future, with what is now under development is very exciting.

Tell us what you think the timetable for downtown Phoenix will be.
I used to love the Hollywood club scene at night, but as I have gotten older, I appreciate the beach areas most - Laguna Beach, Newport/Balboa, and I love what they have done with Huntington Beach over the past five or six years.

I think Phoenix is about 5 to 10 years away from having a great downtown area that will attract a lot of people. The light rail is opening the end of 08, and that should at least draw some people down there. There are also several condo projects, two nearing completion, and several proposals that we hope will come to fruition. Like LA, we have a lot of scattered downtowns, although the only two that really count are downtown Tempe and downtown Scottsdale. Those two cities are both growing upwards at an impressive level and leaving Phoenix in the dust. Dare I say in this forum, all of the places we have listed have more nightlife than SLC.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 3:57 AM
Let It Rise!

Planning Commission Recommends Approval for Huge Development
August 10th, 2007 @ 2:50pm
LEHI, Utah (AP) -- A major development designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry cleared its first hurdle.

The city's Planning Commission recommended approval on Thursday for construction of high-end retail stores, residential units and a five-star hotel and convention center.

A final decision will be made by the City Council in a vote yet to be scheduled.

The multi-billion-dollar project is planned for 85 acres off Interstate 15 owned by software entrepreneur Brandt Andersen.

Andersen hosted city leaders in a reception Wednesday that served up the latest plans along with fried shrimp, chocolate mousse and skewered chicken.

"I want things to be done perfectly," he said.

Andersen was founder in 1999 of uSight, which develops software for small businesses. Part of the Provo company was sold to NMR Inc. of Kansas City.

Gehry, a 1989 winner of the prestigious Pritzker Architecture Prize, designed Spain's Guggenheim Museum and Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. In New York, he is designing an 18,000-seat basketball arena.

Information from: Deseret Morning News

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 4:25 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
Planning Commission Recommends Approval for Huge Development
August 10th, 2007 @ 2:50pm
LEHI, Utah (AP) -- A major development designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry cleared its first hurdle.

The city's Planning Commission recommended approval on Thursday for construction of high-end retail stores, residential units and a five-star hotel and convention center.

A final decision will be made by the City Council in a vote yet to be scheduled.

The multi-billion-dollar project is planned for 85 acres off Interstate 15 owned by software entrepreneur Brandt Andersen.

Andersen hosted city leaders in a reception Wednesday that served up the latest plans along with fried shrimp, chocolate mousse and skewered chicken.

"I want things to be done perfectly," he said.

Andersen was founder in 1999 of uSight, which develops software for small businesses. Part of the Provo company was sold to NMR Inc. of Kansas City.

Gehry, a 1989 winner of the prestigious Pritzker Architecture Prize, designed Spain's Guggenheim Museum and Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. In New York, he is designing an 18,000-seat basketball arena.

Information from: Deseret Morning News

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Its great you are wanting to post info on the gehry Project but that information is located in the http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123793 thread.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:29 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
..... Dare I say in this forum, all of the places we have listed have more nightlife than SLC.
PHX - How DARE you say that all those places have more nightlife than SLC, you speak profanity and blasphemy. j/k. I will agree that all those places have more nightlife than SLC, I lived in Gilbert for a summer and I loved going to Tempe and Scottsdale any night of the week. I didn't ever make it to DT Phoenix though. When I think about what clubs and restaurants DT SLC has there really are a lot of options and a nice variety of things to do for all types of people, from LDS people to the spawns of Satan(aka drinkers)

I think you're safe saying that on here.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 2:09 AM

Personally, not being interested in Temple Square, I'm not too interested in downtown SLC.

Could someone inform me what else there is to do in downtown SLC?

The balcony thing on temple square is pretty neat, minus the damn church blocks off the view of the important part of downtown...the high-rises. Why?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Actually most Salt Lakers are faily progressive when it comes to building towers. I've never really heard of major problems stemming from downtown development that might block the views of mountains. I do know that when the Wells Fargo Center (American Stores Towers at the time) went up, people living in the twin American Towers didn't want it built because it would block their views, but the city essentially said that was the risk of living downtown. Which is pretty funny, since the tower was originally proposed for West Valley City, but they said no to the idea because they didn't want a tower of that height in their city. That's really the only event I've ever heard concerning skyscrapers being developed in Salt Lake.
The Wells Fargo Centre was planed for West Valley? Where?
That would have been cool to have that so close to my home. Oh well I'm still glad it was built where it is.

Now for my vision of Salt Lake:

I would like to see a TRAX station built between 600 and 700S. on Main Street, and an NFL stadium with retail and 50 story condo and hotel towers around it, built where there is currently a parking lot just west of my proposed TRAX station.

I would like to see a major high rize development built in the parking lot just north of Little America, west of the Courthouse Station, as well as a major high rise (with outdoor restraunts and retail on the main floor) built on the west side of the courthouse block.

I think it would be nice to have a major mixed use development on top of, and around the Intermodal Hub at 600w. Including several 30+ story towers.

Then there is the parking lot between North and South Temple East of LDS Business College. I would nike to see this become an extention of LDS Business college and BYUSLC, mybe include a stadium and more student housing.

A TRAX train should travel from the Airport line down 400w. to 400S., turn East and connect directly into the University line, with stations on 400s. at Main St. and 200W. The downtown circulator should travel further south along 400w. to 700s. turn west and connect into the current Line at 200w. with stations between 300 and 400 south along 400w., 500 and 600 south along 400 west and 400 and 300 West along 700south.

More development In west Salt Lake would also be a plus, I would like to see a major amusment park built some where in the west side north of SR 201. With TRAX connecting it to the Airport and Downtown.

I would also like to see more wide side walks downtown, like there are along main street.

Just thought I'd through in my two cents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West