HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:02 AM

^^^^^
Awesome project. The Wasatch Front needs more of this kind of thing.

Layton falls into the Ogden thread, correct? I think I've messed this up before, but I'll post it here anyway:

Layton transit oriented development opens to much fanfare
http://www.standard.net/Business/201...h-fanfare.html

Quote:
LAYTON – A first-of-its-kind transit oriented development adjacent to a FrontRunner station was unveiled Friday in an atmosphere that featured trains, planes and rain.

Officials cut the ribbon on the Kay’s Crossing mixed-use development, touting the possibilities the four-story facility will bring to people who choose to use FrontRunner.

The development includes 156 apartments, all one and two bedroom, along with 2,000 square feet of retail space. The project is the first private, multi-family development facilitated by the Utah Transit Authority. It is located adjacent to a UTA FrontRunner station and is a forerunner to potential developments at FrontRunner stations in Clearfield and Pleasant View.

Noisy Air Force jets flew overhead and a loud train passed by during the ceremony, which was held outside in a light rain. The atmosphere became a selling point for James Wakefield, one of two partners who helped pilot the development.

Wakefield said the facility is equipped with special sound reducing glass, and sound proof ceilings and walls. “It’s something we were real conscientious of,” Wakefield said of the distractions.

The apartments range in rent from $835 to $1,350 a month. Approximately 116 of the units have already been leased, putting the development three months ahead of where it was projected to be at this point. The project includes a rooftop patio with a putting green, two hot tubs, a pool, a 24-hour gym and a two-level parking garage. All the rooms also feature fiber optic connections to UTOPIA.

Five years in the making, the project is located on 2.75 acres of land near the station on property that was owned by the UTA, Larry Hill and Gibbs and Kathryn Smith. Wakefield and his partner, Jared Nielson, negotiated a land swap with UTA as part of the transit oriented development, referred to as a TOD.

No one has leased the vacant retail space yet, but Wakefield insists they have serious suitors and the space will be occupied soon. He thinks the project will be a positive enhancement to the area for years to come.

“This is a great location and we feel like this is the best value here in Layton,” Wakefield said of the facility.

The TOD will go beyond Kay’s Crossing in a matter of months. Hill held onto a parcel of property, directly west of the facility, where construction of a restaurant is underway and expected to open in the near future.

The city’s Redevelopment Agency is a partner in the Kay’s Crossing project with a commitment to provide $780,000 in funding over a 10-year period for the 156-unit project. Approximately $600,000 of that funding was provided up front with another $180,000 in tax increments to be added on over a 10-year period. The estimated cost of the project is $17 million.

Mayor Bob Stevenson praised the project saying it will allow people to live in Layton, even though they may work elsewhere. He said the mixed-use building and restaurant fit into what city officials hope will spur redevelopment in the city’s downtown.

County Commissioner Brett Milburn praised the cooperation between UTA and the developer. As the county rep on the UTA board, he said he hopes the TOD will enhance ridership and exposure to FrontRunner.

UTA estimates 20 percent of the residents of Kay’s Crossing will use FrontRunner to commute, according to Michael Allegra, UTA general manager.

“UTA is confident that by facilitating the adjacent development, additional riders will be generated due to both the proximity and convenience of the residential development to the rail line and the increase in associated amenities at this development that will now be available to all transit patrons,” Allegra said.

Allegra said UTA plans to allow for development of more locations similar to Kay’s Crossing along the FrontRunner and TRAX lines.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:29 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I like what Ogden is doing and I would expect as they expand it that more residential will develop and other redevelopment will occur along Grant Ave.

As for the Layton, I guess I need to hop on FrontRunner and go take a look, I really hope it is a true TOD unlike Farmington Station, which is not a TOD, but rather a Transit Adjacent Development.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:20 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
As for the Layton, I guess I need to hop on FrontRunner and go take a look, I really hope it is a true TOD unlike Farmington Station, which is not a TOD, but rather a Transit Adjacent Development.
This is a true TOD. I've been by there about two months ago and this housing development goes up to main street and looks urban, plus the frontrunner station is right behind it.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
^^^^^
Awesome project. The Wasatch Front needs more of this kind of thing.

Layton falls into the Ogden thread, correct? I think I've messed this up before, but I'll post it here anyway:

Layton transit oriented development opens to much fanfare
http://www.standard.net/Business/201...h-fanfare.html
That is a fairly small complex. Someone needs to do a fairly large TOD in this field with a bridge to Frontrunner.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 8:40 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
That is a fairly small complex. Someone needs to do a fairly large TOD in this field with a bridge to Frontrunner.

From the article it sounds as if this is the "parcel to the west" that a new restaurant is being built on soon. Hopefully they will orient it to the Front Runner Station, not only will it be the first TOD on FrontRunner, but it could be the first TOD on Front Runner that is oriented to the station on both sides.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
From the article it sounds as if this is the "parcel to the west" that a new restaurant is being built on soon. Hopefully they will orient it to the Front Runner Station, not only will it be the first TOD on FrontRunner, but it could be the first TOD on Front Runner that is oriented to the station on both sides.
I doubt that's the parcel that the restaurant is being built on. It's a huge field on the other side of the tracks and more than half a block from the apartments.

It's probably this older building to the NW of the apartments that they're going to demolish (or have already), to build a restaurant. That's the only thing I can see to the west that seems like it's related to the apartments.

Last edited by Stenar; Jul 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:28 AM

I'll second that...Huge Improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Last edited by delts145; Sep 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:18 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

The Ogden Temple interiors are now photographed and on various media websites. Fox 13 had a really extensive collection. The attention to detail in this temple and the nod to the Art Deco style of some of the city's most iconic buildings interiors and exteriors are definitely reflected in this temple.

http://fox13now.com/2014/07/28/thous...re-dedication/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 8:24 AM
The Drifter

That Celestial room photo is beautiful. Art Deco is hands down my favorite architectural style and think we should use it more often in todays building designs.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:02 PM
Verticle

WOW! Stunning photos and simply beautiful work. The LDS Church pulls another one. I wish commercial developers would be so kind as to provide better buildings than just glass curtains. I am not certain this would be "art deco" though in the truest sense. It seems a modern take on blending Prairie, Arts & Crafts with AD thrown in for good measure. Regardless...stunning!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:28 AM

Absolutely Stunning! I agree, we need more of this style captured accurately in our new high end CBD commercial and residential. When in the future in Downtown Salt Lake different developers build high end projects, I would like to see the designs capture the same essence of Deco/Antiquity as this religious structure

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:53 PM
Transit Advocate

I'll agree the interior detail is gorgeous and I'm pleasantly surprised at the interior treatments and finishes far classier than anything I remember from other temples over the last couple of decades nice that they used so much stone and not stucco like during the 1990s. My mind has been changed, although I still believe the building is far too flashy and out of scale with the environment it is better than the spaceship/bank design that was there.

I too am a huge fan of the Art Deco intricacies and style... well done. The interior fits very well with the grand contemporary movie theaters of the 30's. It will be a grand moneymaker for the corporate ownership from citizens in the Weber county area.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 4:02 AM

Gone are the travesties of the 70's. Now the LDS church needs to get their hands dirty and restore the Logan temple to its former glory! The people that made the decision to gut that building should have been excommunicated for that, must of been from Wellsville.

I also think once the Provo City Center Temple is up and running they will do the same thing to the Provo Temple and give it a good remodel. By that time, the Payson and City Center Temple will be open and they will have no problem having the members go to those temples for the 2 years of the remodel.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:13 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
Gone are the travesties of the 70's. Now the LDS church needs to get their hands dirty and restore the Logan temple to its former glory! The people that made the decision to gut that building should have been excommunicated for that, must of been from Wellsville.

I also think once the Provo City Center Temple is up and running they will do the same thing to the Provo Temple and give it a good remodel. By that time, the Payson and City Center Temple will be open and they will have no problem having the members go to those temples for the 2 years of the remodel.
I agree about Logan temple having its history deleted with the gut job it received and would love to see its interior restored. Would be much easier now that the Brigham city and Ogden temples are running to take those that live in cache valley as it is being fixed. Now for provo's temple it's remodel won't happen on the Ogden scale as Provo has already stated they want to keep the design they already have.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 8:28 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
... restore the Logan temple to its former glory! ....
Agreed. I remember years ago when I still drank the Koolaid I was excited to see inside an historic temple like Logan. When I went there when my SIL was betrothed, what a disappointment. The same scratchy burlap wallpaper from meeting houses and Stake Centers... I almost found myself wondering where the gym/cultural hall was.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Agreed. I remember years ago when I still drank the Koolaid I was excited to see inside an historic temple like Logan. When I went there when my SIL was betrothed, what a disappointment. The same scratchy burlap wallpaper from meeting houses and Stake Centers... I almost found myself wondering where the gym/cultural hall was.
That's why the dudes that made the decision must of been from Wellsville.

I never got to see the Logan in it's original form, but the guy that designed it also did the Manti and some how that survived the 70's purge. So I just imagine the Manti when thinking Logan and hope that it's corrected.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:52 PM

All of those comments about the Logan Temple would also apply to St George...back in the day I went into it expecting some amazing pioneer-era craftsmanship...instead got the acoustic tile drop ceilings.

And Jesus wept.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:53 PM

All of those comments about the Logan Temple would also apply to St George...back in the day I went into it expecting some amazing pioneer-era craftsmanship...instead got the acoustic tile drop ceilings.

And Jesus wept.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 8:23 PM

http://www.fastcasual.com/news/blue-...ixth-location/

Blue Lemon opening at The Junction.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 1:01 AM

The Cache Valley thread died so this is the closes topic thread for Cache Valley/Logan News.

I had heard nothing recently of this Ski Resort getting past the litigation but as you can tell from this report it's a go.

http://fox13now.com/2014/08/14/utahs...n-this-winter/

It really is odd to me to think of a resort so close to Richmond, but this canyon feeds into to Franklin Basin which gets a ton of snow every year and then it dumps some on Beaver Mountain, which will be their main competition. Beaver has always been a family owned Mountain that didn't have to give you a great skiing experience because there was no competition. Maybe they will get their act together now with the new resort opening.

One benefit will be the drive to Cherry Peak. Logan Canyon is one crappy road in the winter and down right dangerous when snow is falling. I mean this resort is really close to the Valley. This would be like having a resort up City Creek Canyon, minus the population of course. Richmond is one small town but it has a Pepperidge farms factory

It would be great to see a new resort down in Utah County. I have always thought up Hobble Creek Canyon would be perfect. Also South Fork Canyon could do it too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West