HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:07 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This isn't really a NIMBY issue because the people in the neighborhood aren't against the building, just think it is too big for the area. A building that is 4-5 stories would still provide the needed density and that poor rendering looks awful and massive.
You mean it's too big for THEIR area. They're OK with the building, just not in THEIR neighborhood? What do you think NIMBY means, if not this?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:18 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
This drawing says "Option 1" and "Preliminary". So clearly just a massing diagram, and where are the other options? As far as being too tall... this is close-in MLK, so no, it is NOT too tall. It's what should be built (height-wise) in ALL close-in areas that are on major commercial corridors.
Actually it isn't on a major commercial corridor. That is why it would look odd in this area to build a building this tall. If this were being built on MLK then that would be a whole different topic.

Quote:
You mean it's too big for THEIR area. They're OK with the building, just not in THEIR neighborhood? What do you think NIMBY means, if not this?
Actually the people they had on the news seemed to be fine with the apartment numbers, just the height of the building seemed a bit much. I think this building won't have any problem being built at 45-50ft.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:39 AM

65MAX, this isn't on MLK, not sure where you got that idea. It's on NE 7th. It SHOULD be on MLK but, no, developers are busy building 2 to 4 story buildings over there . To my mind, this proposal just illustrates the general screwiness of the development world. 9 stories on that spot would be absurdly out of scale with its surroundings. Having the tallest building in the area actually be on 7th -- while that Fosler guy is building his cheap 2-story 'Martin' and 'King' projects a few blocks away on busy, high-density-ready MLK -- is just dumb. And I'm all for density. Disclaimer: I live on 7th (north of Irving Park).

There are, of course, a few things that might sway me in support of 9 stories:
underground parking
at least some retail to complement the Knott/7th corner
excellent, Works Partnership-quality architecture

I'd love to see MLK lined with buildings that are 9 or 10 stories or even higher. The corner of MLK and Alberta, where Hales and the PDC are busy pushing a one-story retail development with massive surface parking, would be perfect for a 10 or even 20 story mixed-use building.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:04 PM
Karma Police

Yes, I know it's on 7th and Russell, but it's on a block that also fronts MLK and Knott, a major intersection in that neighborhood. And it's in a high-density residential zone. I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the hype that this building is too tall for the neighborhood.

There are many examples of tall buildings close to SFR neighborhoods and when done right, they add to the vitality of the area, not detract from it. There are ALWAYS gonna be people who think a building is "too high" for the area it's proposed. So if a 20 story building on MLK is fine, why wouldn't a 9 story building a block away also be fine?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:38 PM
A before E

Quote:
Yes, I know it's on 7th and Russell, but it's on a block that also fronts MLK and Knott, a major intersection in that neighborhood. And it's in a high-density residential zone. I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the hype that this building is too tall for the neighborhood.

There are many examples of tall buildings close to SFR neighborhoods and when done right, they add to the vitality of the area, not detract from it. There are ALWAYS gonna be people who think a building is "too high" for the area it's proposed. So if a 20 story building on MLK is fine, why wouldn't a 9 story building a block away also be fine?
Well as of yet, this building has not been "done right" and will probably end up being 4-5 stories in its final design.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 8:39 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
This building would probably be fine on MLK, there are some buildings that get kind of close:

[6 story building @ MLK & Shaver, pic from shavergreen.com]

But Russell & 7th is dominated by 1 & 2 story SF houses. I thought the city was going to use its zoning to "taper off" the density & height limits between the SFH and commercial corridor districts, but it looks like that is not the case of the zoning code.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:25 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
But Russell & 7th is dominated by 1 & 2 story SF houses. I thought the city was going to use its zoning to "taper off" the density & height limits between the SFH and commercial corridor districts, but it looks like that is not the case of the zoning code.
Well, Goose Hollow, the Alphabet District, Lloyd Center, even most of Downtown were originally neighborhoods with primarily 1 & 2 story SFRs. Not all of the high-rises in those neighborhoods are gems (by any stretch), but they all add to the vitality of their respective neighborhoods. If we limit the new high-rises in Portland to just neighborhoods that already have them, then we'll never be able to house the hundreds of thousands of new residents moving here in the next couple of decades without stretching the UGB out further.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Growing creative agency gobbles up 30,000 feet of new space in North Portland for HQ
Jon Bell

Continuing the trend of tech and creative firms gobbling up the scant office space available in Portland, digital creative agency Instrument Marketing has leased 100 percent of the available office space at the East Building at One North — a mixed-use building that just kicked off construction at the beginning of September.

Karuna Properties II is developing both the East Building and West Building at One North, two of the three buildings that will make up the mixed-use development between North Williams and North Vancouver avenues and North Fremont St.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 AM
A before E

Quote:
Well, Goose Hollow, the Alphabet District, Lloyd Center, even most of Downtown were originally neighborhoods with primarily 1 & 2 story SFRs. Not all of the high-rises in those neighborhoods are gems (by any stretch), but they all add to the vitality of their respective neighborhoods. If we limit the new high-rises in Portland to just neighborhoods that already have them, then we'll never be able to house the hundreds of thousands of new residents moving here in the next couple of decades without stretching the UGB out further.
Well the developer needs to put out a real design plan because their massing diagram looks awful.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 10:08 PM

Also on the intake list:

Quote:
Early assistance for conceptual 6-story building with 2 levels of underground parking with stormwater via drywell or vegetated system. Specific questions regarding development potential and site design.
Site is 2014 NE Multnomah St, which has had a sign up forever advertising its development potential. Architects are THA.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:19 AM

Seems like I remember another proposal on that site, a rather large warehouse for the elderly - maybe 2 years ago?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 10:59 PM

Sorry to bump this thread with nothing newsworthy -- but driving up I-5 northbound today at the Broadway/Weidler exit, I noticed some huge excavation of the lot just to the right of the off-ramp. I don't remember seeing anything about a project here, is it apartments?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:56 PM

Per the Urban Works blog, retail line up for Grant Park village is New Seasons, AT&T, Pieology, Mudbay and Zoom Care. I'm glad it leased out so quickly, but sure isn't Division St style tenants.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:06 PM

Great to hear. Not a fan of this building, it looks like an office project. Balconies would go a long way in making this a bit less ugly. But I like the infill location, really urbanizes that area of NE Broadway.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:25 PM

Agreed. It's an appropriately scaled series of urban buildings, which hopefully be the first of many along Broadway. The retail is a welcome addition to the street. Other than that, I don't have a lot of positive things to say about it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:13 AM

For those of you who are planning on moving apartments three days before Christmas, Grant Park Village is now leasing for December 22nd move ins.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
For those of you who are planning on moving apartments three days before Christmas, Grant Park Village is now leasing for December 22nd move ins.
Any word on the opening date of the New Seasons? I wanna check it out when it opens. Also, there was mention of a development around the south side of I-84 on Sandy. Any word on advancement of that? I remember there being an inordinate amount of surface parking; I sincerely hope that gets changed and the full lot footprint gets used for square footage. Sandy has a ton of potential to become a new pedestrian corridor with connection to Hollywood both east and west of there. There should definitely be talk about road diets, in my opinion... And I am really hoping the streetcar goes from the CEID to at least 57th ave.

One can dream, but I really hope I see this come to fruition by 2020.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Any word on the opening date of the New Seasons? I wanna check it out when it opens.
No official word, but last I heard was mid-November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Also, there was mention of a development around the south side of I-84 on Sandy. Any word on advancement of that?
No permits or land use applications have been filed, as far as I know. I have a suspicion that project isn't real.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:07 AM

Well, I hope when Sandy starts getting more density that they lay off the damn surface lots. Another thing, fronting buildings onto the street instead of at an angle as a lot of structures are... Dunno how that could be encouraged.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 7:00 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
$1600 dollars for a 1bd apartment?? That's more than the 4bdr house I rent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland