HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
How much of this is being paid by taxpayers? The Georgia Dome is what 20-22 yrs old?
Arthur Blank is rich enough to foot the bill.
From my understanding the public contribution to the stadium is through the city's hotel/motel tax...$200 million.

The Georgia Dome is 22 years old. I personally like the Dome, but it is outdated at such a young age compared to other NFL stadiums...two-thirds of them are newer than the Dome. Atlanta is not the type of city to sit back and be passed up by other stadiums in competition for Super Bowl and NCAA football championship sites, and unfortunately 22 years is a pretty average age for replacement of professional sports stadiums.

Arthur Blank is worth about 1.7 billion, and the stadium is reported to cost 1.2 billion. It would be an awfully expensive endeavor, even for a billionaire.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
How much of this is being paid by taxpayers? The Georgia Dome is what 20-22 yrs old?
Arthur Blank is rich enough to foot the bill.
The Falcons and the NFL are paying 80-90% of the cost, and the remaining $200 million is coming from a hotel tax intended for venues like this. Residents aren't paying anything for it.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:43 AM

it's still a crappy plan, especially on the north side of the property (not northside drive). a parking lot, NO connection from international to northside, no pedestrian connectivity, etc.

i was hoping with the hotel proposal we'd see a proposal to extend international to magnolia street— which i believe is possibly the most important thing we could get out of this project.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 5:10 AM
TL;DR

Not an ATL forumer but this is the most exciting and ambitious stadium in the NFL, past/present/future. Even the current crop of megastadiums like AT&T, University of Phoenix, and Levi's have nothing on this one.

Any word yet on sponsorship/naming rights? The Georgia Dome never sold out to naming rights, I really hope this one doesn't either. The Mercedes-Benz crap on the Superdome is a travesty for a building where Louisiana taxpayers paid to build again and again.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Not an ATL forumer but this is the most exciting and ambitious stadium in the NFL, past/present/future. Even the current crop of megastadiums like AT&T, University of Phoenix, and Levi's have nothing on this one.

Any word yet on sponsorship/naming rights? The Georgia Dome never sold out to naming rights, I really hope this one doesn't either. The Mercedes-Benz crap on the Superdome is a travesty for a building where Louisiana taxpayers paid to build again and again.
do you really think it's that fantastic? the "open air" part isn't really open air, it's basically a big sunroof— there won't be enough airflow to really make much of a difference on the game like real open air stadiums do.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 5:42 PM

I'm more interested in how the stadium will interface with the surrounding community than with the building itself. It has the potential to revitalize these areas, or it could end up being another sports sarcophagus that turns its back on city life. I'm optimistic that it will be the former.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
For sport fans like me, this is the most exciting stadium being buit in quite some time. I know some on here are really wrapped up to everything having this urban atmosphere, but this stadium rocks!!!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm more interested in how the stadium will interface with the surrounding community than with the building itself. It has the potential to revitalize these areas, or it could end up being another sports sarcophagus that turns its back on city life. I'm optimistic that it will be the former.

It think revitalizing a neighborhood is a really tall order for a football stadium in a decent area let alone one that is struggling. The best case scenario is for adjacent development that fosters street activity which is the one reason I wasn't so against the North site for its proximity to the activities on Marietta street.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
It think revitalizing a neighborhood is a really tall order for a football stadium in a decent area let alone one that is struggling. The best case scenario is for adjacent development that fosters street activity which is the one reason I wasn't so against the North site for its proximity to the activities on Marietta street.
Well, I agree. I should have said a stadium has the potential to help re-energize the area, but it certainly can't do that all alone.

However, I do think that a stadium (or any large structure) that fails to connect with the community in a meaningful way can have a deleterious effect.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 2:00 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...stadium-5.html

VOTE ATL!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...stadium-5.html

VOTE ATL!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i don't know, man. i think the vikings have the falcons beat on this one. the design is modern and simple, and actually lets air flow through the building. the falcons stadium is like a $1 billion baboon's ass coming out of the ground.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't know, man. i think the vikings have the falcons beat on this one. the design is modern and simple, and actually lets air flow through the building. the falcons stadium is like a $1 billion baboon's ass coming out of the ground.
I believe that there are some garage door-like windows that can be opened on either end of the new Falcon's Stadium to let air flow through.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
do you really think it's that fantastic? the "open air" part isn't really open air, it's basically a big sunroof— there won't be enough airflow to really make much of a difference on the game like real open air stadiums do.
When the roof is open, "we can turn off the air-conditioning," thanks to more than 30,000 sq ft of louvered panels and operable windows working with the 105,000-sq-ft roof opening.

http://southeast.construction.com/so...With-a-Lid.asp

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
When the roof is open, "we can turn off the air-conditioning," thanks to more than 30,000 sq ft of louvered panels and operable windows working with the 105,000-sq-ft roof opening.

http://southeast.construction.com/so...With-a-Lid.asp
Okay I was pretty sure that there were some large, functioning windows in this stadium...that would be awfully large oversight if not.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:37 PM

The most recent renderings of the Falcons Stadium appears to show more clear panels than in previous concepts.

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...une-26-2014/#/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:51 PM

No trees at all on Centennial. The walk down there is going to be shit.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
No trees at all on Centennial. The walk down there is going to be shit.
I could look a little different when completed...I've noticed sometimes that trees and landscaping don't always make it into renderings.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 8:09 PM

Fit and Polish

Design Concepts: September 22, 2014 (click for full size image)

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...ber-22-2014/#/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 5:56 AM

When they will be built? Did they get an approved yet?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:21 PM

^it's well under construction now.

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/webcam/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta