HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:36 PM

The "Rothrock Bldg" in downtown Erie on west 10th st was purchased last week. The new owner plans a mix use of offices and condos on the upper floors.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:48 PM

Gannon University purchased the 100.00 sq ft former Verizon Hdqtrs on west 10th st. Work is progessing on refit to become Gannon's College of Medicine.
Hamot Medical Cemter also Has two new buildings under construction in Downtown Erie.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 2:33 AM

^ Good news for the Rothrock Bldg., even though it's one of Erie's downtown buildings that I actually wouldn't mind seeing torn down (ugly 1960s crap). It was recently in the Erie news for basically operating as a flophouse.

Great to see what Hamot is doing. Two buildings U/C currently... a 5-story and a 7-story... both on the bluff in the bayfront LERTA zone... that's why there was such a fast track schedule (to get them started before the LERTA plan expired). Nothing tall, but they're taking the place of parking lots ... they are creating more density in that area and their location in the very "front" of the city will allow the buildings to be nice additions to the skyline when viewed from across the bay, even though they are rather short.

I'm glad that Gannon decided to buy the Verizon Bldg. (former headquarters of GTE in Pennsylvania). I've never heard anything about it becoming "Gannon's College of Medicine" though... not sure where you heard that, but establishing a medical school takes a lot more than just buying a building. I don't see how Gannon could establish a medical school... maybe the building will be used for nursing programs or other health professions, but definitely not medicine.

By the way, how's the progress on the Mercantile Building project? When I was last in Erie about a month ago, no work was being done; just a small storage buidling behind it had been demolished. I'm heading home for Thanksgiving in a couple days and I suspect nothing will have changed. That June 2008 completion date is getting closer... with winter in Erie just about to start and nothing done to the building yet... no way it's done by June.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 4:19 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Good sign for central Erie neighborhood!

House rehab
Owners hooked on old homes transform an Erie neighborhood

BY GERRY WEISS
gerry.weiss@timesnews.com

Published: November 16. 2007 6:00AM

Donald Duarte, working behind Reese Hills, left, is improving his home in the 200 block of West 21st Street. At right is Matt Hawley, who works with Hills' home repair and construction business, and Hills' son Miles, 6, works on the porch near his dad. (Greg Wohlford / Erie Times-News)

Zoom | Buy this photo
OAS_AD('Middle');

Thirty years ago, when Jim Scott moved his funeral home to West 21st and Myrtle streets, people told him he was crazy.

The surrounding neighborhood, which included a two-block stretch of Sassafras Street listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was at an all-time low.

Numerous Victorian houses, rich in character and built before the turn of the 20th century, sat dilapidated, empty and neglected.

Random crimes -- cars stolen, houses burglarized -- were common.

Apathetic homeowners and transient tenants transformed a once-flourishing place into a somewhat seedy spot.

But then, one by one, house by house, Scott watched an unusual trend develop, as a restoration snowball effect rejuvenated his neighborhood.

New homeowners, mostly middle-class professionals, started snatching up and fixing up the reasonably priced properties on West 21st Street, from Sassafras to Chestnut streets, a gentrification you typically see in big cities but not Erie.

At least 15 houses in the 200 and 300 blocks of West 21st Street have been renovated or restored, homeowners there say, with a handful of other homes featuring projects that are works in progress.

"The neighborhood has changed dramatically," said Scott, a resident of the district who also owns three other properties there. "Saint Vincent (Health Center) made a big commitment to the area, with expansion and development of their facility. Then you add in the homeowners, who saw others buying and fixing up properties, saying to themselves, 'They did it, we can do it, too.' I'm proud I came here, and I'm proud I stayed here."

Terry and Lesley Redmond were two of the first residents in the neighborhood to start restoring their home.

Their guests are usually fascinated by the cupola on top of their three-floor house on West 21st Street, but Randy Harris and Sara Galbreath, who are renovating the home built in 1892, say they don’t spend much time there. (Greg Wohlford / Erie Times-News)

Zoom | Buy this photo

The couple bought their 1896 Queen Anne-style house at 339 W. 21st St. about 20 years ago. They sank tens of thousands of dollars into the house for one project after another, building three ponds into their backyard, hand-painting the living room and foyer ceilings, laying ceramic tile on the kitchen and bathroom floors.

"It's easier to list what we haven't done," said Lesley Redmond, 59, a retired hairdresser.

When asked why restoration boomed in her neighborhood, she said people "love the nostalgia of living in classic old homes."

"We took a chance on this neighborhood," said Lesley Redmond, who also owns two other nearby houses with her husband. "If it didn't pick up after we moved in, we would've sold and moved out."

When he bought his 1882 Victorian Italianate, John Paul Cappa said, it looked like a haunted mansion.

"It was a disaster," the 43-year-old church choir director said before giving details about the leaky roof, the asbestos-laden furnace, and the exterior wall by the main entrance that was completely caved in.

So he began to restore the house, from the day he closed on 231 W. 21st in 1992 through this summer, when he installed a new garage. Two years ago, he bought another house up the street and started rehabbing that one as well.

In all -- after restoring the inlaid marble and woodwork in the main parlors, sanding the hardwood floors and dozens of other projects -- Cappa has spent about $140,000.

"There's no clear answer why. I just always wanted to live in a house with character, and this house has it," he said. "The houses themselves are the inspiration to restore them. To be honest, there's nothing remarkable about modern suburban buildings that you'd want to restore. What would you want to fix in a suburban house when it's just one square white room after another?"

Some of these West 21st Street homeowners restore the vintage houses for their own living comfort. Others, especially those who own multiple properties, choose to fix up so they can rent out.

Donald Duarte has been living in Erie for the past two years in a house in the 200 block of West 21st Street. The Boston man plans to sell the home when he’s finished renovating it. (ROB ENGELHARDT/Erie Times-News)

Zoom | Buy this photo

Then there's Donald Duarte, a 38-year-old carpenter from Boston.

When he was working in New Bedford, Mass., he bought an old home, completely renovated it and quickly sold it, turning a princely profit of $80,000.

Seeing that he was a success at the trendy art of "house flipping," Duarte moved to Erie in February 2006 after his uncle, who lives in Harborcreek, told him of a potentially lucrative real estate opportunity at 219 W. 21 St.

Duarte paid $45,000 for a house that he said "should've been condemned." He immediately got to work, buying three dozen new windows, refinishing the oak floors, and replacing the soggy roof. He did most of the labor himself.

When Duarte puts the property on the market in June 2008, he hopes to fetch $125,000.

"There's a great charm to older homes," said Duarte, who has been living at the house for nearly two years. "After all the work I've put into it, a house of this stature, in Boston, would sell for half a million."

Deb Cable, a partner with Dorris Appraisal Co. in Erie and former homeowner in the 200 block of West 21st Street, said the effect of all of the activity would stabilize and then spike the values of the homes throughout the district.

"Those homes are huge, and the renovations are an enormous and expensive undertaking," said Cable, adding that the neighborhood has seen a major transfer of older to younger homeowners. "But the hard work will pay off in the long run."

Tom Necastro, a Realtor with Coldwell Banker, has sold and shown several houses in the historic neighborhood.

He currently has the house at 215 W. 21st St. listed. The owner, Ed Johnson Jr., bought it a few years ago and fixed it up after the building sat empty for years.

Outside, Johnson retained the classic architecture of a Victorian-style home. Inside, he made it modern, knocking down walls and creating an open floor plan.

"The stock of Victorian homes in Erie are shrinking, and most of them are falling apart or converted into multifamily rentals, so far away from what they were originally," Necastro said.

"Look at the old homes on East Sixth, 10th and 21st streets," the Realtor added. "Neglected structures that have been cobbled up beyond recognition, cut into apartments, the architecture removed. The houses on West 21st Street are not in great shape, but you can still buy them and restore them. It's worth it for those people who have always wanted to live in a big old house."

During her childhood years, Sara Galbreath would often ride shotgun in her father's car whenever he stopped by a rental property he owned on West 22nd Street.

On the way there, they would always drive by a 10-bedroom yellow brick 1892 Victorian Italianate on West 21st, with its large windows and magnetic presence.

"That has always been my favorite house anywhere, ever," Galbreath said. "It was just so grand, so fabulous. It spoke to me."

Now 26, she and her boyfriend, Randy Harris, live there, after Harris bought the property in May.

The house was in deplorable shape -- "a major fixer-upper," Galbreath said -- with an old roof and burst pipes in the basement only the tip of a long list of projects.

The rehabbing began the first week after they moved in.

It hasn't stopped.

"I wanted it to look the way I remembered it as a child," Galbreath said. "There's so much character to this house, so much originality. There's no other house that looks like it the entire city."
One of the greatest assets the city has is its neighborhoods. While most of the downtown was altered or destroyed, many of the neighborhoods are still intact, at least in the Western part of Erie. Although the other neighborhoods are being redeveloped from barren lots into single family homes.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:04 AM

Quote:
^ Good news for the Rothrock Bldg., even though it's one of Erie's downtown buildings that I actually wouldn't mind seeing torn down (ugly 1960s crap). It was recently in the Erie news for basically operating as a flophouse.

Great to see what Hamot is doing. Two buildings U/C currently... a 5-story and a 7-story... both on the bluff in the bayfront LERTA zone... that's why there was such a fast track schedule (to get them started before the LERTA plan expired). Nothing tall, but they're taking the place of parking lots ... they are creating more density in that area and their location in the very "front" of the city will allow the buildings to be nice additions to the skyline when viewed from across the bay, even though they are rather short.

I'm glad that Gannon decided to buy the Verizon Bldg. (former headquarters of GTE in Pennsylvania). I've never heard anything about it becoming "Gannon's College of Medicine" though... not sure where you heard that, but establishing a medical school takes a lot more than just buying a building. I don't see how Gannon could establish a medical school... maybe the building will be used for nursing programs or other health professions, but definitely not medicine.

By the way, how's the progress on the Mercantile Building project? When I was last in Erie about a month ago, no work was being done; just a small storage buidling behind it had been demolished. I'm heading home for Thanksgiving in a couple days and I suspect nothing will have changed. That June 2008 completion date is getting closer... with winter in Erie just about to start and nothing done to the building yet... no way it's done by June.
pj3000,

Got the Gannon info from a school release. You are right that it is not going to be a "college of medicine" but rather a school for nursing and related fields.
There is also activity at 13th & State sts. The facade of the former "Erie Window Co" is being redone. The new owner has stated plans for apartments on the upper two floors.
As of the 15th the Hamot bldg on East 2nd st has steel going up. Site clearance on West 2nd st.
I got a tour of the "Mercantile" and have a retainer on #501. The plan calls for 1st floor retail, 2nd & 3rd floor commercial office space. The 4th & 5th floor will have a total of 14 condos. There are to be 11'7'' ceiling height. I also have @40'of windows on State st and 36' on 14th st. The old bldg just to the east of the Merc is gone. I was told it would be too espensive to rehab to modern codes bec it was built over the Millcreek tube.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 5:03 PM

^ The Mercantile plans sound great. If I wanted to move back to Erie, I'd definitely consider moving in. That neighborhood is going to be really cool. Your future condo sounds nice... all those windows and on the top floor. So, after the tour, do you really think it will be done in 7 months? I really don't see how that's going to be possible.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 2:57 AM

Quote:
^ The Mercantile plans sound great. If I wanted to move back to Erie, I'd definitely consider moving in. That neighborhood is going to be really cool. Your future condo sounds nice... all those windows and on the top floor. So, after the tour, do you really think it will be done in 7 months? I really don't see how that's going to be possible.
I'm hoping. I've been told mine is to be one of the first to be ready.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:59 PM
From that forgotten area

Erie

Can anyone give me a rundown on Erie development? I am not from Erie but I am considering taking a job there and so I want to get a feel for the current state of the city and where it is headed.

Are there any neighborhoods that are very walkable? What is its downtown like?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 3:11 AM

^Redevelopment in downtown Erie seems to be finally taking hold. It's been a long time coming, believe me. I've tried to post any development news I see in a few threads in this subforum. Erie, in general, has a long way to go in terms of becoming an important city nationally once again. It has just had a really hard time shaking off its economic reliance on heavy industry and being in Pennsylvania has actually been quite a detriment to the city; the rest of Pennsylvania never understanding the true value of a Great Lakes port city.

Things seem to be looking up economically for the Erie region, but that is a topic for another discussion. You seem to be more interested in downtown development specifically. Well, there are lots of projects, many focusing on residential development downtown. A downtown master plan was completed about a year ago and a two development firms from Philly and Pittsburgh were selected to oversee numerous projects. It's good to see that a lot of the projects are being privately funded. Basically, all of the proposals and current construction projects look great for downtown. I can give you more specific info if you'd like.

Many of Erie's neighborhoods are very walkable and the city is generally pedestrian and bicycle friendly. Having a car is still very highly recommended though. Downtown is way better than it was 15 years ago, but still has a way to go in becoming an urbane destination. The bayfront development is spreading south into downtown, so only good things can come. What is dowtown like?: lots of bars and clubs give Erie a pretty good nightlife scene for a city its size; too many empty lots (that is changing though); CHEAP rents for very nice old apartments; relatively safe....

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:18 AM
From that forgotten area

Here is my big question- Is there a major bookseller I could walk to if I lived downtown? How about a coffeeshop?

Where are the colleges/universities in relation to downtown? I generally like to check out the various campuses, libraries, and bookstores offered at local colleges. Are any in walking distance?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:28 AM

No Barnes & Noble or Borders downtown... have to go to upper Peach St. chain store heaven for those. However, I believe there are plans for another B&N in a major downtown retail development. But a great independent shop called simply, The Erie Bookstore, has been downtown for around 90 years or so, I think. It's located in Lovell Place (industrial conversion to loft-style apartments, mixed-use) now and has a little cafe and frequent readings. Coffeeshops downtown: Starbucks, French Street Cafe, Rose Garden Cafe are the ones I can think of. Romolo's has a nice cafe just west of downtown in the Frontier Park neighborhood.

Gannon University is located right downtown and is one of the major anchors of downtown vitality. Its library and student center are located on the same block. Mercyhurst College is located about 3 miles south of downtown in eastern Glenwood Hills... very nice campus and buildings. Penn State Erie - Behrend College is in Harborcreek Township about 7 miles SE of downtown... rapidly developing campus and very pretty location on over 800 acres. LECOM is located in suburban SW Erie. Edinboro University is about 15 miles south of Erie in a small town in southern Erie County. Also, the Erie County library main branch is down on the bayfront. It's the 3rd largest in the state and has some nice reading/study areas with great views of Presque Isle Bay.

There are only a handful of people on here that are familiar with Erie, so I'm glad to answer any questions you may have about the ol' hometown if I can.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:27 PM

Griswold Park area redevelopment

Can't wait to see this get completely underway. The area has so much potential.

Renewal for homeless haven
By CODY SWITZER
cody.switzer@timesnews.com

Published: November 28. 2007 6:00AM

The gazebo at Griswold Park in Erie has become a gathering place for people who are homeless, but the gazebo will soon be moved to make room for a town house development. (LAUREN M. ANDERSON/Erie Times-News)

Brian's neighborhood is changing.

Brian, who is homeless, said he used to spend nights on the loading dock of what was the Warren Radio building in the 1300 block of Peach Street, across from Griswold Park. The dock was dark and dry, almost private and relatively warm. He could sleep.

The Warren Radio building is now demolished, replaced, temporarily, with a muddy lot.

"They actually tore my home down, such as it was," said Brian, who wouldn't give his full name.

Soon, a row of brick town houses will spring up where Brian once slept, part of a $51 million project aimed at bringing young professionals and empty-nesters into the city to live and work.

The development is to go up across the street from the Griswold Park and the park gazebo -- the spot where Brian and other homeless men now come to meet and get out of the weather.

The area is poised for gentrification and renewal.

Starting in the summer, developers will extend the one-acre park, thin its trees and install lights. The plans call for the gazebo to be gone -- and with it, most likely, the homeless who hang out there.

The Griswold Park development is proof that the center city is changing and ready for another "big nudge" toward development, said John Elliot, executive director of the Erie Redevelopment Authority, which is leading the Griswold Park project.

"We don't want to go into a vacuum and create something from nothing," Elliot said. "When we were selecting an area downtown to focus our first initiative, we wanted to build on strengths, and there are a couple of strong points in that neighborhood."

One of those points, he said, is Griswold Park.

'The park environment we want'

(Chris Sigmund / Erie Times-News)

The project -- to occur from Sassafras to State streets and between West 12th and West 14th streets -- is to create 143 new residential units, according to the plans the city and the Erie Redevelopment Authority unveiled earlier this year. Mixed-use buildings would go up throughout the area. The streets will be lined with trees.

Plans for the neighborhood around the park call for 12 to 14 town houses along Peach and West 13th streets. The park will be extended to the parking island for the post office in adjacent Griswold Plaza.

The gazebo, which was built in 2005, will be removed. "Architecturally, it does not fit with the park environment we want to have there," Elliot said.
The plan is to add gardens and a water feature, something to match the look of the post office and neighboring Union Station, Elliot said. He said the Redevelopment Authority chose the area for the project partly because of the park, which he said is meant to be an asset.

The city likely will move the gazebo to another park, said Kim Green, the city's director of economic and community development. She said the project will include more lights and the thinning of the trees, to make the area brighter and safer.

"Our hope is that we would make it a more family-oriented park, and perhaps a park where people would come out and enjoy lunch in the summer," Green said.

"I might not stay, but I come here'

Kerman Amos, of Erie, takes shelter under the gazebo at Griswold Park. Amos, who is homeless, says he visits the gazebo once a day so he can see his friends. “I might not stay, but I come here to check on everything, see if they’re all right,” he says. (LAUREN M. ANDERSON/Erie Times-News)

A group of homeless men at the gazebo, interviewed recently, said they had heard of how the neighborhood will change.

A man dropped off leftover turkey, a few loaves of bread and some mayonnaise on the day after Thanksgiving.

Eight men ate and drank $7.19-a-liter Vladimir-brand vodka around the picnic tables.

Most wore ball caps and jackets with hooded sweatshirts underneath. They joked with each other.

"Where's K?" a few of them asked.

He wasn't there yet on this day, but he was there a week before.

K -- he said his full name is Kerman Amos -- had stood in the gazebo with his hood pulled up. He said he visits the gazebo almost once a day, to see his friends.

"I might not stay, but I come here to check on everything, see if they're all right," Amos said.

He and Brian, the homeless man who said he used to sleep on the loading dock at the Warren Radio building, had a 12-pack of Natural Ice beer. Brian said he had just gotten out of prison, and said it was his first beer in 90 days. It was 11:30 a.m.

Sometimes the men at the gazebo get drunk and out of control, Amos said, but mostly they keep to themselves. Amos said he doesn't want to bother anyone.

'A perfect clubhouse'
Jim Berlin, chief executive of Logistics Plus in Union Station, said he understands why the park is a draw for the homeless.

"The park was made nicer, so it's kind of becoming more accommodating for people just hanging out," he said. "There's the gazebo and electricity and the port-o-potties. It's a perfect clubhouse, you know?"

In September, Berlin asked readers of his blog for suggestions for how to deal with some men in the park who he said dug through trash cans, urinated on Union Station and attempted to break into employees' cars.

Erie police pay extra attention to the park, but calls only come in occasionally in the summer, police spokesman Lt. Kirk Werner said.

Doug Mitchell, director of public works for the city, said that he has heard the occasional complaint about the park, and he said the city is concerned when people don't feel comfortable using the park.

The city pays for electrical service to the park, with an outlet near the gazebo. Mitchell said he had no usage statistics for the outlet.

The homeless men said they have occasionally plugged appliances into the outlet -- one said the men have cut their hair with electric trimmers. But they said they leave the outlet alone most of the time.

Chris Sirianni, president of BrewErie, the restaurant in Union Station, said that his customers have sometimes complained about the homeless.

"I wouldn't say they are harassing. It's just guys getting loud from drinking all day," Sirianni said.

The construction is expected to prompt the homeless men to leave.

"If other people come in, it would be less secluded, less out of the way," Berlin said. "It becomes more central, more part of downtown and in the spotlight. These guys don't like the spotlight."

"It may be self-correcting, in a way," Elliot said.

'We wouldn't stay here'
Amos said he will move on when the project starts.

"If there were houses around here, we wouldn't stay here," Amos said.

There are other places to go in the city -- another park or somewhere else where Amos and his group know people.

Help from local shelters is also available, said Paul Bratt, a resident and intern at Erie City Mission. But he said not everyone chooses to enter a program, and some homeless only sleep at shelters at night.

"A lot of them really don't want to quit their activities," Bratt said. "So most likely they'll hang out at McDonald's or Burger King during the day and then come here at night or wherever they go. There are a lot of centers."

Amos, who said he had to leave the City Mission center, knows the situation at the shelters. The shelter staff will help you, he said, if you follow the rules.

Amos said he didn't.

"You make that choice," he said.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:12 PM
From that forgotten area

Gannon and LECOM

Is Gannon building a medical school? Or are they somehow affiliated with LECOM? I work in the science industry so I wouldn't want to be far from either of these schools, but I'd still like to stay in downtown. Any thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:11 PM

Gannon is developing larger nursing and other health-related careers programs. They recently purchased a large downtown office building which formerly was home to Verizon for this expansion.

Gannon is not directly affiliated with LECOM, though I believe that they have admissions agreements with the school. And, the two heads of LECOM are both Gannon grads, so there is some relationship, if not actual affiliation.

I'd definitely recommend staying downtown if you're going to live in Erie. Gannon is right there and LECOM is only about a 15 minute drive away. I'm certain there is an EMTA route that runs between downtown and LECOM, but I'm not sure of the timeframe involved. The area around LECOM is completely suburban and pretty boring. There are a number of apartment complexes in the area and its close to upper Peach St. shopping and the Millcreek Mall, but as I said, very suburban and just pretty blah.

I would be great if all of the downtown residential developments were up and running already, but it seems that's just beginning to take shape. For downtown living, I'd recommend taking a look on West 6th thru West 10th Streets between Sassafras and Liberty, Modern Tool Square, Federal Row (Erie Insurance campus area). I would avoid most of the neighborhoods on the east side, unless you're a fan of crime. Areas of the Lower West Side (West 6th to bayfront bluff) are pretty rough as well, but that seems to be changing with bayfront bluff development and rehabbing of the neighborhoods. Lovell Place, on E 13th St, is a cool industrial conversion to lofts, but the area around it is still redeveloping. Overall, I'd suggest looking in the neighborhoods on downtown's west side or even a bit further west into the Frontier/Kahkwa neighborhoods. There are a number of parks in the area and a good bit of pedestrian activity. Also, you have good access to the Bayfront and Presque Isle is not far. The Glenwood area south of downtown in nice as well, but not downtown.

There are some nice areas, but downtown, and Erie in general, is still gritty to the core. Crime has definitely dropped significantly over the past decade or so and reinvestment in the city's center seems to be finally taking hold. I lived downtown on West 6th for a little while and really enjoyed it... close to many entertainment options and outdoor activities.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:43 PM
Eurosceptic

Central Erie is also home to the art deco opulence of the Warner Theatre. Erie County is home to Pennsylvania's wine country.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:49 AM

^Going home to see BB King at the Warner in March... great venue to see a concert.

By the way Evergrey, Joe Biden's the man. I've liked that guy for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:01 AM
From that forgotten area

Redevelopment

I read the redevelopment plan for downtown Erie, and the more recent plan for Midtown (a part of downtown?). I like the plans, but I don't think they do enough to revive the city. I've heard of small steps, but this seems almost ridiculous.

Erie needs to get developers to rehab/convert/build condo and apartment towers in its downtown to lure in that all-important niche market of younger people and empty-nesters. Both plans suggest this, but their primary focus is on facade improvements and not on the importance of luring in this niche market. If this population moves into downtown Erie, it will drive up the need for specialty businesses and help to create a vibrant urban center. Potential businesses will then look at Erie as a place that is worthwhile.

Only with a viable downtown could Erie hope to do so, but I'd like to see the city capitalize on its location through tourism. Virtually no great lake city has established itself as a tourist destination, leaving an entire market untapped. Erie has beautiful beaches on Presque Isle. If it were to capitalize on this it would have condo and hotel towers (again, I use the word tower loosely) along the streets near the entrance to Presque Isle.

I now realize Erie's AMAZING potential, but reading these reports has made me concerned that Erie is moving too slow for its own good.

Help alleviate my concerns lol.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:49 PM

^ Developments in Pennsylvania, Erie in particular, moving too slow??? I've never heard of such a thing!

Actually, the primary focus of the master development plans is on residential development to lure that market niche back to downtown. Maybe you already saw this, but here is the report from the redevelopment authority.

http://www.redeveloperie.org/pdfs/ER...TER%20PLAN.pdf

http://www.redeveloperie.org/pdfs/Er...ite%20Plan.pdf

http://www.redeveloperie.org/pdfs/Dr...20Appendix.pdf

Ground preparation is currently underway on the west bayfront bluff for an office building and a condo "tower". In the "Midtown" area (I'm not sure why it's being referred to as this because true Midtown Erie is about 12 blocks south comprised of the Federal Hill and Hillside neighborhoods, so this newly-annointed "Midtown" is actually part of downtown) the Mercantile Bldg. is undergoing conversion to mixed-use residential and retail on the ground floor. Across the street, another bldg. is slated for conversion to artist live/work space. A block down, another bldg. is being renovated to apartments. In the Griswold Park area, the Redevelopment Authority acquired two entire city blocks of parking lots, a used car dealership, and ugly 1-story industrial buildings for construction of townhouses. The plans show a lot of other residential development. Fourth River Development from Pittsburgh and Radnor Property Group are the two main developers and are investing millions into the area (finally some PRIVATE investment!).

As for tourism development, that has actually been the major focus of the new direction Erie must take for the past 5 years or so. The Bayfront Convention Center and Hotel are nearing completion, Tom Ridge Environmental Center at Presque Isle was completed about a year and a half ago, one of the finest cruise ship terminals on the Great Lakes was built about 3 years ago, numerous new marinas, etc. So lots of stuff has been built to further tap into the tourism market. It's not as if tourism is already not an integral component of Erie County's economy though. It has been for decades. Presque Isle attracts millions of visitors each summer and is the most popular park in the commonwealth. However, more than anything, Pennsylvania needs to realize the resource it has in the best port on the Great Lakes and utilize it to its full potential. Problem is, most of Pennsylvania acts as if Erie doesn't even exist, or is part of New York or Ohio.

Much more needs to be done, and yes, at a much faster pace. But things definitely move at a slower pace in PA, and the Erie region gets the worst of it .

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYfreak View Post
Erie needs to get developers to rehab/convert/build condo and apartment towers in its downtown to lure in that all-important niche market of younger people and empty-nesters. Both plans suggest this, but their primary focus is on facade improvements and not on the importance of luring in this niche market. If this population moves into downtown Erie, it will drive up the need for specialty businesses and help to create a vibrant urban center. Potential businesses will then look at Erie as a place that is worthwhile.

Only with a viable downtown could Erie hope to do so, but I'd like to see the city capitalize on its location through tourism. Virtually no great lake city has established itself as a tourist destination, leaving an entire market untapped. Erie has beautiful beaches on Presque Isle. If it were to capitalize on this it would have condo and hotel towers (again, I use the word tower loosely) along the streets near the entrance to Presque Isle.
Good points. This is precisely what Erie has been trying to do for a while now. It has just proven to be very difficult to get private developers to make the investment in an unproven market in a state which has not proven friendly to developers. It's the old public-private Catch-22; government wants to see private investment before they provide matching/increased public funds, private developers want to see publicly-funded projects established initially and receive incentive-laden deals in order to make their investments less risky. Unfortunately, Erie is a risky market for investors with its massive manufacturing sector still slowly bleeding away, higher than state average unemployment figures, and overall depressed economy. The economic transition from heavy manufactuing is still ongoing in Erie and it's a transition that is far from being completely welcomed. You still have the ridiculous old-school political and union squabbling that is so entrenched in rustbelt cities and only serves to further delay any economic revitalization.

As I've stated numerous times in post about Erie though, there are signs of life and progress in Erie, and it is so much more apparent now. Downtown Erie and the Bayfront were dangerous, filthy shitholes (sorry, but that's the best way to describe it) in the 1980s and only started to really clean up in the mid-1990s. So, from where it was just 15-20 years ago, it's actually come very far in a relatively short amount of time. But I agree that things need to start occurring a lot faster if Erie is to mount any serious comeback. If you spend any significant amount of time in Erie, you will see, and be frustrated by, lots of talk and little action when it comes to urban development. The cards are stacked against Erie, being in the center of the rustbelt, but especially because it only receives the scraps from state government that are left over after all PA's other cities have feasted (case in point: the Bayfront Parkway/Connector/Eastside Access Hwy was just completed 2 years ago... it was planned and listed as the highest transportation priority by county planners as well as PennDOT in 1962!!!... 43 fucking years it took them to finally approve state highway funds and get it built; and it still is inadequate for regional transportation needs!). That may just give you an idea of where Erie is in terms of PA state gov't priority.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 8:11 PM
Eurosceptic

Erie is not a PA priority? What about the Tom Ridge Environmental Center?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast